• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

dubc35

Has KK been confirmed yet?

BTW with that whole double points thing, Webber's just gotta be smiling like a pig in shit that he's left. WEC looking more and more like a viable alternative to F1 this year (as a spectator thing). Just need to find another series to watch alongside it to fill the gaps between races and I'll be set.

The only problem with the WEC is the nature of the series; they're all endurance races so they're all very long and not easy to watch the entire duration.

cmr-94

If only:

new-mclaren-thomson1.jpg

Daniil Kvyat ‏@Dany_Kvyat 15h
Good few days in Faenza ! Quality time with engineers , some training , and photoshoot today ! Btw STR9 is a beauty

Everything is gearing up for 2015, but I think this year will be another write off.

omnicorse says that Tim Goss and others abandoned the 2014 project to go and work with Honda in Japan, so 2014 will indeed be another disaster.

They also say this year's car will be chrome and orange and the team will have no title sponsor.

McLaren launched their 2014 team kit today and no title sponsor:

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Omnicorse is pro-Ferrari, so I take their reporting about other teams with huge grain of salt. It would be the same if Bild reported this (pro-Mercedes) :p

With their logic from article, Mclaren would waste away more than 6 months of planning and developing 2014 car (if we know that they said before Hungary that they are focusing fully on 2014), just to focus on 2015? LOL

Also, special hard tyre mix for first Jerez test, tweeted by Tobias Gruener. Other compounds will be available too:

Pirelli made extra hard tyre for Jerez to avoid graining (cold temps & aggressive track). The special compound won't be used in races.

Nicktendo86

omnicorse says that Tim Goss and others abandoned the 2014 project to go and work with Honda in Japan, so 2014 will indeed be another disaster.

They also say this year's car will be chrome and orange and the team will have no title sponsor.

McLaren launched their 2014 team kit today and no title sponsor:

Interesting times ahead. I really feel McLaren could be the team to beat in 2015, Honda have an extra year to work on the engine while the others would have their development frozen I think? Some key people are coming in (such as that Reb Bull guy) and hopefully Ron will motivate the team. But yeah, I expect 2014 to be a dud :(

Aiii

So not worth it
No news is good news?

:(

Normally I'd say so, and I really have no insight into his situation, but isn't he been in this "artificial coma" for 3 weeks now? Seems awfully long.

But again, I haven't even a frame of reference on this kind of stuff.

Goldrusher

Normally I'd say so, and I really have no insight into his situation, but isn't he been in this "artificial coma" for 3 weeks now? Seems awfully long.

But again, I haven't even a frame of reference on this kind of stuff.
To give some examples of other race drivers:

Karl Wendlinger: 19 days
Richard Hammond: 25 days
Cristiano da Matta: 26 days
Stirling Moss: 38 days

All of them recovered quite well.

4E8CDE5C24CB336BF3127285BE3E.jpg

Schumacher: 22 days so far

Tomorrow Caterham will finally announce their driver line-up. Kobayashi and Ericsson or not?
I really got mixed feelings about KK at Caterham.
I'm glad that he could be back in F1, but he's on a hiding to nothing if Caterham can't at least be competitive with the lower mid-field teams.

DBT85

Interesting times ahead. I really feel McLaren could be the team to beat in 2015, Honda have an extra year to work on the engine while the others would have their development frozen I think? Some key people are coming in (such as that Reb Bull guy) and hopefully Ron will motivate the team. But yeah, I expect 2014 to be a dud :(

Each engine manufacturer is allowed a certain amount of points per year over the next few seasons for modifications. First season I think they can alter just about anything within the points limit, 2015 they get less points and some options of things you can change also come off the table. And so on.

What I don't know is if when Honda join, if they'll get the same first year of being able to do a bit more, or if they'll have to follow the same 2015 points and parts checklist as the others, despite being a year later. I imagine it'll be the latter.

So for example (made up) , in 2014 you have 10 points, you can modify plugs (2 points) leads (1), turbo (5), gearbox (4), splange fangle (3).

In 2015 you get 8 points and gearbox and turbo are now off the list of allowed mods.

I'll try and find the right list.

However I wouldn't assume anything about the Honda power unit. I'm certainly not assuming that Honda + Mclaren is insta points.

Zeknurn

Awesome news. I'm glad to see that Kobayashi is back and that Ericsson is given a shot. He deserves it.

Four Nordics on the grid is very cool. Now we just need a Norwegian to finish it. Where did KaizorPenguin go?

edit: Speak of the devil^.

Lach

Wow! Today Wawrink beat Djokovic AND Kobayashi has finally been confirmed!
Today is a good day!

Can someone with photoshop-skills change the overalll of my avatar to caterham colours?
[edit] and blacken the hair...

Shaneus

A rare piece of good news for 2014. Go KK.
It's not unlike 2012 where I managed to get an autograph of Petrov quite easily because Caterham was one of the last teams up for autographs. This time I should be able to get a KK one fairly easily. Woo!

Mastah

Buxton about Caterham nose:

Will Buxton ‏@willbuxton

Caught an accidental peek at a 2014 nose. Without the vanity panel it isn’t so bad, although a bit like this dude http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Garindan

Garindan.jpg

Also, Sniff Petrol :D

F1 unites following sad news

The Formula 1 community came together this week to express its great shock and deep sadness at the news that Marussia has retained Max Chilton for 2014.

‘I just can’t believe this tragic news,’ said one senior F1 insider. ‘It’s events like this that really make you glad for the people around you and cause you to thank God that none of them are Max Chilton.’

Anyone wishing to express their sympathy can visit the Marussia factory to leave cards, flowers or messages. But not money. They’ve now got enough of that for another year.

http://sniffpetrol.com/2014/01/21/f1-mourns-sad-news/

Top Bottom