• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

itsgreen

duB5ySE.jpg

Shall we just start referring to the engine intake as 'the glory hole'?

Whitmarsh already gone?

Sam Michael will be in charge for the Jerez test and in the press release today confirming Vandoorne as 2014 reserve driver he doesn't feature.

McLaren and Honda linking up with ART in GP2.

renault said:
In 2014, the fastest car on a Saturday will still start on pole since the sessions will be run ‘flat out’. The cars will still be limited by the fundamental fuel flow restriction of 100kg/h but the 100kg fuel limit will be irrelevant since very little fuel is burned over one lap. The driver will therefore be able to use 100% of the allowed fuel flow and the entire energy budget from the battery store for his qualifying lap.However, should he choose to use all the energy on one lap, he will not be able to complete two flat out timed laps and will instead have to wait until the store recharges. This will lead to some even tenser
sessions and a number of different strategic calls.
Not being able to string together two flat out timed laps will definitely lead so "some even tenser" sessions, but Im not sure I like the manner in which that's been done. DRS offers moments of tension too, but its still a cheap and artificial way to heighten the drama of a race.

Double points, intense fuel conservation during the race, DRS, god knows what with the Perilli tyres...
It all sounds fucking ludicrous. They have the right idea reducing aero on these cars and the challenge presented by the energy recovery systems, turbocharging and how to bring them all together into a competitive, reliable package sound fascinating..... but no refueling plus harsh fuel limitation, plus a maximum of five power units per season..I dont want to watch F1 endurance races

dubc35

Not being able to string together two flat out timed laps will definitely lead so "some even tenser" sessions, but Im not sure I like the manner in which that's been done. DRS offers moments of tension too, but its still a cheap and artificial way to heighten the drama of a race.

Double points, intense fuel conservation during the race, DRS, god knows what with the Perilli tyres...
It all sounds fucking ludicrous. They have the right idea reducing aero on these cars and the challenge presented by the energy recovery systems, turbocharging and how to bring them all together into a competitive, reliable package sound fascinating..... but no refueling plus harsh fuel limitation, plus a maximum of five power units per season..I dont want to watch F1 endurance races

Yeah, I agree. I think it will be tense and could be crazy the first couple races but it's mostly artificial. Purpose built rain circuits in the future?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Tire warmer ban?

What the motherfucking fuck?

FIA's on a roll:
Formula 1 drivers are set to be banned from stopping cars on slowing-down laps in a bid to save fuel for post-race checks, the FIA has announced.

With teams and engine manufacturers already admitting that it is going to be tough to complete some races with the 100kg fuel limit, the FIA has provisionally agreed a tweak to the sporting regulations that will make things even tougher.

Following discussions at a meeting of F1's Strategy Group and the World Motor Sport Council this week, it has been decided that drivers will not be able to stop their cars immediately after the chequered flag.

A statement issued by the FIA said: "Drivers may not stop on the slowing down lap to save fuel for sampling and subsequent analysis; this will not be considered justifiable reason for stopping."

Bringing a car to a halt immediately after the chequered flag, as happened several times during 2013, means fuel that may be needed for parc ferme checks is not used up returning the car to the pits.

The new regulation, which still needs approval from the F1 Commission and teams before being put into the regulations, means drivers will have to carry a larger safety buffer of fuel than before.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112249?source=mostpopular

at this rate, what are the odds of another attempt by the teams to start a rival series?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Uhhh... why the fuck would they do that? Batshit mental.

I guess to make sure when you pit that you take a lap or two to warm up and be competitive rather than the way it's been where it takes 1-2 turns to be at full speed.

Adds a layer of complexity to the pit strategy for sure.

And as to stoppage, that makes perfect sense. But we will still see a lot of "mechanical issues" causing sudden stops, lol.

itsgreen

I guess to make sure when you pit that you take a lap or two to warm up and be competitive rather than the way it's been where it takes 1-2 turns to be at full speed.

Adds a layer of complexity to the pit strategy for sure.

And as to stoppage, that makes perfect sense. But we will still see a lot of "mechanical issues" causing sudden stops, lol.

Also much simpler: teams don't have to ship them across the globe. Saves money.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The stopping on slow-down lap is an acceptable change as doing so was just an exploit to get around the end of race fuel requirements.

No problems about that for me.

All it means is that the teams need to fuel properly before the race.

dubc35

No problems here with the no stopping rule. The penis noses though, those have to go. From the side, not seeing the penis protruding, the cars so far look damn good IMO.

No problem with those changes. Indy Car has always resisted tire warmers mostly for cost reasons, but it does add value to the show with spicy outlap battling.

I wonder if the outlap times between the two tires will ever be dramatic enough to warrant starting on the hards, so not to have to use them coming out of the pits. That's probably a stretch, but you never know.

Hammer24

Banned
No tyre warmers is a fucking horrible rule. It's just plain unsafe.

Not really. It takes about two corners, to get them to working temp.
Remember the thermal images sometimes shown during the races last year? Pre-heated tyres were way warmer than necessary, and actually had to be cooled down a bit to not get insta-graining.

Most other racing-series work quite well without tire-warmers. It's just of those things that one team start using to get an advantage and everyone else has to follow. Then it's status quo again except that it is more expensive for everyone.

Mastah

Well, rumors about Boullier leaving were partially right:

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1

Eric Boullier set for McLaren after stepping down from team. Gerard Lopez to be new Lotus boss. Full story soon

Hammer24

Banned
Tidbits:
- FOI Andy Green interviewed:
-- comparing rules changes to 1998 and 2009, the loss of downforce now is compareable
-- BUT this time air resistance goes down too, so he actually expects the cars to be ~ 15 km/h faster
-- problems to get all the power on the street, so they´ll use longer gear ratios
-- biggest problem is the rear wing, expects the most diversity between teams in this area
-- first three gears useless outside of start procedure, as there is too much traction slip there
-- very happy with Merc focus to concentrate early on how to get all the new engine parts into the car
-- new FOI car very conservatively designed
-- anteater nose best solution according to wind tunnel, vanity plates hinder performance
-- this years cooling solution 125% of last years
-- no development of passive DRS, as they think with the smaller rear wing there will be less effect
--would be surprised, if any new engine holds for more than 300km of testing in Jerez (!)

- OEM´s, fight:
-- turbo is one of the most critical parts of new engine concept
-- OEM´s fight over rules, if turbo has to be covered
-- REN, MER say yes, FER say no
-- FER wants to save the 3-4 kgs of weight (are said to be in trouble to get under weight limit anyways)
-- next week official talks with FIA
-- REN wants to show film of exploding turbo unit, saying it would be too dangerous without cover
-- if no decision next week, expect protests in Melbourne :-/

Does anyone still work at Lotus or is the cleaning crew designing this year's car?

Hey hey, they already teased their new livery. Everything is fine. Okay? God, I swear, all this "Lotus is doomed" talk is getting on my nerves. We've been hearing this for years now and they're still in the business. They're in for a rough year, but once they get their next-gen car out next year, it's going to be alright and we'll see more 3rd party sponsors joining them.

Top Bottom