• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Zeknurn

Yeah Lotus is fine.

@Lotus_F1Team: Already tired of the #McLarenMP429 launch? Ok, best stay tuned as our #E22 is set to unveil its true colours soon...
BevRIYLCYAAzai1.jpg:large

Hasney

We all know 3rd parties don't support Nintendo Lotus.

Looks like no McLaren principal will be announced today. Apparently focusing on the car launch only.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Wait, what? Boullier to McLaren?

Wow, I guess he wanted to move to a team that could afford to pay him :p

Shaneus

Not really. It takes about two corners, to get them to working temp.
Remember the thermal images sometimes shown during the races last year? Pre-heated tyres were way warmer than necessary, and actually had to be cooled down a bit to not get insta-graining.
Huh, there you go. Literally had no idea about that.

"Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 1m

Heard the new McLaren MP4-29 will be silver as usual - at least during winter tests. But orange-discussion not over yet.
"

I don't get the hype over orange. It's a nice color and certainly different, but it's not like it got a legacy, like the old white/red one.

Hasney

I'd love for the Lotus Twitter people to get a pay rise for the excellent work they do, but they probably can't afford it.

Nicktendo86

"Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 1m

Heard the new McLaren MP4-29 will be silver as usual - at least during winter tests. But orange-discussion not over yet.
"

I don't get the hype over orange. It's a nice color and certainly different, but it's not like it got a legacy, like the old white/red one.
Because orange is fucking cool!

Kamui got a great offer from Ferrari for another year in WEC, but declined.
He's now driving for free at Caterham and hopes to help the team.

" …

After a year on the sideline, in which he took part in the World Endurance Championship with Ferrari, Kobayashi will contest this year's Championship having signed with Caterham.

"I have to say they're not really happy about my decision. But I said to Stefano [Domenicali], 'This is my dream, to be in Formula 1, and I think this is the last chance to be a race driver'," he told Sky Sports F1.

"He gave me a good offer but unfortunately I had to decide this way. This is all my decision and definitely I had to say to Stefano thanks for all the support last year. It was a very great experience for me but I'm here for Formula 1, not for driving GT."

Kobayashi also revealed that he won't be paid by Caterham, such was his determination to be back on the grid.

"I'm driving for free, it is my decision," he told Autosport. It is just my approach. I want to do this job. This appeals to Tony [Fernandes], this was the message to Tony and he is happy about that. I want to help the team. I don't care about the money. I want to be successful in my life and I want to bring the team back successfully in my goals."

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9130914/Kobayashi-turned-down-Ferrari-offer

I hope he didn't burn any bridges with Ferrari, but I fully understand his decision and now it's clear why Caterham picked him. He's experienced, probably brings money and won't cost them a penny.

??? Its McLarens house color, like yellow for Ferrari. It has more legacy than any sponsor induced livery.

I know that, but I don't see it that way, when it comes to F1. It also reminds me of Arrows, which might be fitting after all.

e: And it's official. the Bully left the team.

The Frenchman had led Lotus since January 2010 and helped the team secure fourth place in last year's Constructors' Championship.

"Lotus F1 Team has never stood still and we head into what promises to be an exciting 2014 season with an innovative new car, new partners and a new management structure at Enstone," said Lopez.

"Great things have been achieved over the past years and we need to continue this momentum.

"With this in mind, we are proud to announce that we have concluded an agreement with YotaPhone and its shareholders. YotaPhone shareholders will become important partners to Genii and YotaPhone a sponsor to the Lotus F1 team this year.

"We thank Eric for all his hard work over the past four years and we are confident we can continue to fight as one of the top teams in Formula 1 over the seasons ahead."

Lopez is now the new team principal with the team revealing that he "combine his position on the board with the role of Team Principal with immediate effect."

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9130792/Boullier-leaves-Lotus

Fiat was the right choice.

Also, who the hell are Yotaphone? Sounds like a backstreet knock off Vodaphone.

Apparently it's a cellphone manufacturer that has one phone on the market, the Yotaphone. It's gimmick is that it got a second e-ink screen on the back.

http://yotaphone.com/#/en/about

The good: The low power usage of the E Ink second display means it can be left permanently on, helpfully displaying notifications without seriously draining battery life.

The bad: The quality of the second display is poor, and there's not much you can do with it as there's no third-party support as yet. The phone relies on awkward gestures for navigation, it has unimpressive specifications and it's running on an old version of Android.

The bottom line: The YotaPhone's second screen is an interesting concept and one I'm quite keen on. Both the E Ink screen and the rest of the phone need serious refinement, however.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/yotaphone/4505-6452_7-35560814.html

This reeks of desperation.

Lach

that looks alright...
not as bad as I had feared...

[edit] I think I have to retract my previous comment
looking at the 3d view it already looks worse...

Hasney

I really don't mind the nose on that McLaren. Hoping the Williams render and Force India sketch are worse than the real thing.

At least we'll get a whole heap of different interpretations of the new rules. Until of course someone hits on the optimum solution and they all copy it.

Hasney

EDIT: Beaten

I think that nose looks worse, personally.

Seeing the McLaren and the Lotus get in a head on smash with interlocking parts might be a littler erotic though.

Jezbollah

The bad thing is that they are going to sound like shit while looking like shit.

Edit: Apart from the hideous nose, the rest of the McLaren is beautiful.

DBT85

why the need for these new noses? what is the thinking?

The plan:

Force lower noses, as high noses are more likely to go over the side of the cockpit and spear a driver in the face in an accident.

The hope:

Cars would return to the lower slung nose glory days

The reality:
Technical working group didn't think things through, so teams did it for them and found that the anteater was the best choice. Could have been solved by changing some of the specifications for the cross sections of the nose at certain points.

Likely to change for next year I imagine.

Hasney

The thing with these lower noses, in the case of a t-bone, doesn't it increase the risk of flipping the car being hit on the side?

Addnan

The McLaren's colour helps ignore the giant dildo for some reason, but that is one big fucking dick.

What is up with that Lotus. Need to see it from the front. Looks like something you can attack the car in front with. For Maldo.

rossonero

It's so fucking ugly. Seriously. Gah.

e: The McLaren!

e2: Who's the guy on the right?
Szhek5f.jpg

You can see that the drivers were cracking some penis jokes just before the shoot. That McLaren would be so nice without the anteater nose :(

Need some more pics of the Lotus car though. And also isn't it worrying that they are showing a rendering instead of a real picture?

Top Bottom