• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Jibbed

What the fuck?

Could be trolling, but some guys on my Facebook feed are saying Webber's signed a contract with Porsche to race in the WEC.

I'll post back when I get to the bottom of this.

Shaneus

Webber handed grid penalty for Vergne collision
:/

oTIE6qz.jpg

Jibbed

What the fuck?

Could be trolling, but some guys on my Facebook feed are saying Webber's signed a contract with Porsche to race in the WEC.

I'll post back when I get to the bottom of this.

Apparently it was just announced this minute on the TV coverage for WEC. A few people are saying it.

Still chasing it up.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Why no penalty for Perez? That was quite nasty stuff from him - maybe because there was no 'major' collision?

Shaneus

WEC is a beautiful sport though.
Oh I know, but it would've been good to have at least one year as a reigning WDC. Oh well! (Assuming this is all true... and it could well turn out not to be, given that only a few days ago he was saying he'd never make a decision about his career this early in the season)

Dilly

Banned
Oh I know, but it would've been good to have at least one year as a reigning WDC. Oh well! (Assuming this is all true... and it could well turn out not to be, given that only a few days ago he was saying he'd never make a decision about his career this early in the season)

Yeah, true.

However, now you can watch him whizzing around LeMans for 24 hours! The equivalent of 12 races Shaneus!

Is this with Porsche in their LMP program then? Because that would be cool.

Omiee

5th lap stop. Seriously pirelly this is ridicioulous. Stop this madness with the tires. I know the mercedes were bad on tires but come on 5th lap pit stop?

Pirelli what have you done with my sport. People are not even defending now in fear of losing grip and tires. Fuck you pirelli and what you did to my sport.

Its the tire managing sport now not racing as fast as you can sport =(

Overall very good race by alonso and ferrari. That pace is worrying me and i hope its just this race.

I cant imagine webber staying at RBR.

I only have one thing to say about rbr strategy. They should have pitted him in the 50th lap. He might have taken hamilton then with the laps we was pulling in the end.

Kassu

Banned
Will be really interesting to see who will replace Webber then.. Räikkönen would be a good choice but I don't think Vettel wants to be beaten by him so Ricciardo could be a better one. Good luck to Webber though, I'm sure he will enjoy more WEC than being a second driver for Vettel.

Pirelli what have you done with my sport. People are not even defending now in fear of losing grip and tires. Fuck you pirelli and what you did to my sport.

Even as a Alonso/Ferrari fan, I have to agree. Annoying to watch everyone just saving their tires instead of racing. If I remember correctly there were a few crazy races for tires last year too, but this is too much.

Also this is my first post in here, yay!

pants

5th lap stop. Seriously pirelly this is ridicioulous. Stop this madness with the tires. I know the mercedes were bad on tires but come on 5th lap pit stop?

Overall very good race by alonso and ferrari. That pace is worrying me and i hope its just this race.

I cant imagine webber staying at RBR.

I only have one thing to say about rbr strategy. They should have pitted him in the 50th lap. He might have taken hamilton then with the laps we was pulling in the end.

As much as we blame Pirelli, they arent the issue. It's time to go back to sensible rules like in the 90s

If the Webber/Porsche news is true, I'm not in the least bit surprised that this will be his last year in F1, but I am pretty surprised that he's agreed a deal so early. I seem to remember hearing a Porsche rumour in the fallout of Malaysia, so it could be that this was all sorted long before this weekend. He probably wouldn't have wanted to have it leak out so soon though.

The chances of him seeing out the season have probably just dipped as well.

stryke

So Webber might go to WEC huh? Ricciardo and Vergne will really have to fight it out now. Although, I'm still not convinced that we've seen anything particularly spectacular from either of them. I'm guessing in the unlikelihood event of a podium finish would fully guarantee a spot in Red Bull.

defel

Why are people tipping Ricciardo to replace Webber? Is he genuinely the best choice or is it just the neat simplicity of replacing an Aussie with an Aussie? tbh I never paid attention to him until yesterday when the BBC interviewed him

Shaneus

Why are people tipping Ricciardo to replace Webber? Is he genuinely the best choice or is it just the neat simplicity of replacing an Aussie with an Aussie? tbh I never paid attention to him until yesterday when the BBC interviewed him
Well, the logic is that they'll get someone from STR a la Vettel, and Ricciardo seems to be performing a bit better (though not a lot better) than Vergne. The fact he's Australian is just a coincidence.

Well, the logic is that they'll get someone from STR a la Vettel, and Ricciardo seems to be performing a bit better (though not a lot better) than Vergne. The fact he's Australian is just a coincidence.

do you think he can match Webber's performance if given the chance?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Felipe is mystified with the loss of pace after 1st stint. I would be too, if your teammate storms the field with 10 sec advantage

Juicy Bob

Yeah, I'm watching the WEC on and off while working. There's also the Blancpain Endurance Series too. Too much motorsport these days.

Also, I've just realised that I might have had a pretty good round on GPPredictor, so I'm really looking forward to when that's updated!

ramparter

Banned
I hope McLaren have got a performance clause in Perez's contract, he's absolute shit, if he's still this bad two or three races after the major Barcelona upgrade he needs moving on.

He just got on a new team with lots of troubles. Perez's performance is the least of McLarens problems right now.

ramparter

Banned
Alonso was lucky this time.
Um, no. It's the first time in years that Alonso & Ferrari won by outperforming all of their major competitors (Raikkonen, Lewis, Vettel). The fact that all of them finished the race makes this victory even more special.

edit
sorry for the double post

moojito

Wouldn't surprise me. He was rocking the red bull motif when he was rallying, and I suppose he fits right in with the whole x games, stickin' it to The Man thing red bull try to have going on.

Top Bottom