• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Ark

... are you being serious?

You're knocking a guy for not matching a double-world champion in his debut year?

Look, I think Hamilton's a bit of a bellend as much as the next guy, but the man is fucking rapid. There were a few races even in 2007 where he destroyed Fernando, and I believe Fernando - whilst not THE outright quickest on the grid - is the best driver in F1 right now.

And this is all coming from a Kimi fan.

Edit: I've since realised you may actually be meaning for that to be read positively - if so, my bad!

Yeah, I meant it in a positive way :p

-----

Todays race was okay/good. Pirelli have gone way too far. It's boring to watch "The Pirelli tyre lottery - sponsored by Formula 1".

Alonso was a machine as usual, great result for Ferrari.

I'm bored of Vettel. Like, really bored. He has that Schumacher-aura around him and I don't think anybody wants to go through that again.

Webber; lol.

I really want to see Lotus and Mercedes cemented on the same level as RBR & Ferrari.

Hamilton did quite well today. Mercedes are really lacking in race-pace compared to those in the front though.

Hoping we'll see a quicker McLaren come Barcelona, but we'll see.

Wow at those laps be vettel in the end. This tires were hammered!

I would love to see him with a rules like early 2000's where they could basically go all out each lap. His race pace would Be devastating.

ramparter

Banned
I really want to see Lotus and Mercedes cemented on the same level as RBR & Ferrari.
It would be great if for once we have four championship contenders from four different teams. I don't think it has ever happened before. Anyway, it's too soon to tell.

SMD

It would be great if for once we have four championship contenders from four different teams. I don't think it has ever happened before. Anyway, it's too soon to tell.

Last season, up until McLaren fucked over Hamilton with reliability/pit stops?

dalin80

Banned
Wow at those laps be vettel in the end. This tires were hammered!

I would love to see him with a rules like early 2000's where they could basically go all out each lap. His race pace would Be devastating.

Brand new soft tyres against 20 lap old mediums its no massive surprise that he was much quicker, although by the live data those new tyres were losing a good percentage of the extra grip each lap, a couple more at that pace and they would have been slower the mediums a couple of laps after that and they would have been egg shaped lumps of melted canvas.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Guys, let's have a quiz!

How long will soft tyre last in Bahrain?
a) 1-3 laps
b) 3-6 laps
c) 6+ laps

my take would be a)

DD

The WEC Race is getting tense in the last 5 minutes.. Audis battling it out. And in the other classes it is also a great race

Victory for Germany and Japan. Thank God it's not the world war two.

Great day for the brazilian boys too, with Pizzonia and Senna winning, and Rees in second in their respective categories. :)

pants

Aww Yis. I am lord and ruler of this thread for at least the next 6 days and 18 hours

5iXdjRf.png

Foshy

Aww Yis. I am lord and ruler of this thread for at least the next 6 days and 18 hours

5iXdjRf.png

Goddamn. Still really fucking close though, 2 points difference between Top 3 just like last race.

Don't get too cocky, I will reclaim my throne soon.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Good race. When I make my predictions I should a) never doubt Alonso and b) never give Webber the benefit of the doubt. Glad Vettel and Redbull didn't get a podium with their douchey qualifying and strategy.

Kassu

Banned
Oh god I'm so bad in the predictions. Only got Alonso right and apparently Vettel, Kimi, Massa and Grosjean were close enough for me to get some leftover points. 31st in the Neogaf league, didn't change my position almost at all.

Klocker

I don't care what kind of lead ALO had, it was a glorious race to watch...

top 3 favorite racers on podium, valiant run by Vettel to almost pull off a podium only to have Hammy smoke his ass back. Ferrari looking like Red Bull may not turn this season into another bore fest, Kimi looking solid this year and in the hunt (assuming DRS challenge holds)

Was the most fun I've had watching except for Austin last year in a long time.

pants

Goddamn. Still really fucking close though, 2 points difference between Top 3 just like last race.

Don't get too cocky, I will reclaim my throne soon.
Hey, I'll take the gloating where I can! I dont expect to be at the sharp end forever, just wait till you guys bring the upgrades :'(

DrM

Redmond's Baby
lol, 29 points and even managed to get 4 places in our league :D Somebody lost 44 places, damn.

got both Lotus drivers right, had Alonso for 1st place, but switched it yesterday for Lewis. God damn you. And Vettel killed my best lap prediction, had Alonso over there.

How is Massa not able to pass Di Resta, while Alonso is doing awesome passes and fighting for the first place in the same car? This is so disappointing.

Ah shit, that fucking sucks if it's true :(

Webber was pretty much done already. He's old, he had his chance in 2010, he had a much superior car in 2011 and he never really impressed outside of few moments here and there (like that amazing overtake on Alonso in Spa).

He's a cool guy and I like his attitude, but he was never an amazing driver and I never saw him driving in 2014.

ramparter

Banned
Last season, up until McLaren fucked over Hamilton with reliability/pit stops?

About 2/3 of the season it was pretty obvious to me at least that McLaren weren't serious about this whole thing and Kimi never a contender, even though his consistency kept him high in the rankings.

Just reached Bahrain from London. Not sure if I'm attending the GP though, but I have my annual invite from my friends here

We're thinking of just watching it on TV and attend the crazy parties that happen during the F1 weekend. My friend usually gets free Grand Stand tickets, but this year he still didn't get anything :p ...

Koba looks sad, Senna looks happy, and Bruce Willis looks the same as always.

http://instagram.com/p/YGaaPbRzaU/#

PFFTTWAAAGAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

EDIT: Guys, last year I reported on the situation in Bahrain and how horrific it was in some villages. So far, the general feel in the country is easier than last year's where it was very strained. But last year I arrived only 2 days before the race so I'm not sure if things will heat up in few days or not.

Calls from unofficial opposition parties to demonstrate and try to disrupt the the event by blocking roads with burning tyres..etc.. Police presence is less in the streets.

I'll keep you posted if there was any significant update. As you know, not everything gets reported in these countries

DD

PFFTTWAAAGAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

EDIT: Guys, last year I reported on the situation in Bahrain and how horrific it was in some villages. So far, the general feel in the country is easier than last year's where it was very strained. But last year I arrived only 2 days before the race so I'm not sure if things will heat up in few days or not.

Calls from unofficial opposition parties to demonstrate and try to disrupt the the event by blocking roads with burning tyres..etc.. Police presence is less in the streets.

I'll keep you posted if there was any significant update. As you know, not everything gets reported in these countries

Take care, man. =(

f0rk

Do you guys think McLaren (only Button really) have it in them to come back from this and at least be in the title race? With 3/4 teams fighting for podiums the points will be spread out, and McLaren should have the resources to fix their car and be up there as well eventually right?

ANDY_098

Radio Le Mans was reporting earlier today that Mark Webber had signed a 5 year contract to join Porsche for the WEC at the end of this season. Not seen another source reporting it as yet, but they say they have credible sources, although no official announcement until later in the season.

Do you guys think McLaren (only Button really) have it in them to come back from this and at least be in the title race? With 3/4 teams fighting for podiums the points will be spread out, and McLaren should have the resources to fix their car and be up there as well eventually right?

Ferrari did it last year, no reason why McLaren can't.

For all we know, that McLaren might be not as bad as it looks if they had better drivers, so IMO I'd say no.

If anyone can dig out the quali results for the first races last year, I'm sure Button was qulifying in similar positions while Lewis was battling for front rows

Shaneus

Cried myself to sleep last night :(

Dropped 16? Holy shit! lolz
I dropped 6 :/

I don't believe the Webber news..

Why would he sign this early into the season? Doesn't make sense
Yeah, I'm not 100% sure. It may be possible he has signed, but maybe for 2015?

That photo is great. Makes Massa look like he won something, too.
He did. A little boy!

I'm watching the race right now on the iPlayer and I'm on lap 18.

How much bad luck can Webber have?
Yeah, it's fucking tragic :/ Even though that incident was his fault (from what I've heard.. still haven't witnessed it for myself yet) an effective DNF (fucking pit crew) AND three position penalty for the next race is harsh. I'd guess that if he finished, he would've been punished with that result instead. Up until then, he was looking good for a top 10 :/ Hell, without the fuel problem he was looking good during FP to get a better quali position than Vettel.

cmr-94

Just watched the race

Recorded it and had to forward the last lap with Vettel chasing down lewis. Was too tight! Vettel had some serious pace at the end

Where are these rumours about Webber leaving coming from? I can see why he went for the gap though

Perez wasn't at fault for the clash with Kimi. u cant expect him to move off the racing line in that case. we saw with Vettel that the inside line is where it was at. U can't expect the guy infront to notice the guy behind when he isn't even level in that particular corner

Fernando showed his class compared to felipe in race conditions, Great performance

Overall a good race. Looking forward to Bahrain next week!!

Massa's excuses:

Although the Brazilian is said to be enjoying Pirelli’s 2013 specification rubber more than most, he admitted that an inability to nurture his tyres may have been the principal cause of his disappointing speed in Sunday afternoon’s race.

"It’s difficult to understand exactly what happened today, because the start went very well," said Massa, who started the race in fifth. "I was immediately quick and the car was working perfectly. At the first stop, I fitted the Medium tyres and after a few laps I began to suffer with graining on the front. That meant I lost ground to other cars and it was probably down to a problem linked to the track conditions and my driving style.

"All weekend, I haven’t felt comfortable with these tyres and in the race, any attempts I made to save them was useless. But for this problem, I would certainly have been in the fight for the podium, but I am still confident because I was able to bring home a good points haul which is important in a season that has only just begun."
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/293195/massa-mystified-by-lack-of-race-pace/

Red Bull got fined:

Red Bull has been given a fine of 5,000 euros (£4,262) for releasing Mark Webber's car in an unsafe manner during this afternoon's Chinese Grand Prix at Shanghai.

Webber pitted on Lap 15 after colliding with Jean-Éric Vergne, receiving a new front wing and a fresh set of tyres. On the next lap the Australian noticed an issue at the back of his car before the right-rear wheel detached itself on the back straight.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/293184/red-bull-hit-with-5-000-euro-fine-in-china/

Comment on the standings:

- Bianchi is too good for Marussia, as expected. While he didn't score a point, he's still in front of his team mate (last), both Caterham drivers and Maldonado
- Gutierrez seems to be shit, but Sauber is shockingly bad also. I certainly didn't expect that
- No real improvement from Williams. Still the third worst team on the grid, which is disappointing
- And yet Bottas is leading in front of Gutierrez in the Sauber
- I'm happy to see that Hulk is doing pretty well, with 5 points on 14th, considering Sauber's current pace
- Another one I'm happy about is Ricciardo. He got 6 points so far (which is more than half than he scored the entire last season) and is only two points behind Di Resta, who's 10th, with 8 points (and one DNF)

malyce

I don't get the whole "OMG Vettel was a MONSTER in the final few laps" thing considering his fastest lap was still 2+ seconds off pole on Softs, with light fuel load *shrugs*

Merc had the fastest car this weekend, but it's a tire hog. Poor Nico :(

Ferrari had the best overall package, and Lotus is looking really good.

Oh, and fuck Pirelli.

Top Bottom