• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Meteorain

Lol what's with this Perez defence. The guy is an idiot. Nearly took out both himself and his teammate.

"Let me just take off some of your tire with this nudge to help you along".

IISANDERII

That overtaking action into turn one seemed really dangerous, they almost always crossed over the white pit exit line. What if somebody was leaving the pits at that same moment?

Draconian

I thought this was a really fun race. Great stuff from di Resta, Perez, and Alonso (considering how badly things could have gone for him). Really though, McLaren should have told Button to let Perez go. It was obvious he was much faster than him, and I'm not sure why Button was acting Perez was in the wrong for trying to get around him. He was slowing him down. Hopefully McLaren will get back on track in Spain in a few weeks though.

Which one? I assume you think of the one after Perez reconfigured his front wing?

The one where he broke mid corner to stop Perez taking a different line through. Button knew exactly what he'd done, that was very clear when he was being shown the move in the Sky interview.

RayStorm

It was obvious he was much faster than him, and I'm not sure why Button was acting Perez was in the wrong for trying to get around him.

Pretty sure he wasn't. I think he was more upset at the fact that Perez twice touched his car during those tries.

The one where he broke mid corner to stop Perez taking a different line through. Button knew exactly what he'd done, that was very clear when he was being shown the move in the Sky interview.

I don't have access to British Sky footage. What I remember seeing and hearing did not lead me to the same conclusions as you. Hence my surprise.

Pretty sure he wasn't. I think he was more upset at the fact that Perez twice touched his car during those tries.

They were only at risk of colliding because Jenson was defending so aggressively. Part of the reason Raikkonen has finished races so consistently since his comeback is that he always leaves room while defending, something Jenson is usually pretty good at. Forcing Perez off the track was utter bullshit on his part.

RayStorm

They were only at risk of colliding because Jenson was defending so aggressively. Part of the reason Raikkonen has finished races so consistently since his comeback is that he always leaves room while defending, something Jenson is usually pretty good at. Forcing Perez off the track was utter bullshit on his part.

At that point I believe Perez had first touched his rear wheel and then they made contact again, so I sort of understand him being slightly less accommodating than usual at that point.

But again, I might have missed a critical interview or something and I assumed you were talking about the whole time they were fighting and not just one specific maneuver.

Shaneus

You should stop putting Webber on P1.
Next race is his weekend, I swear!

As a fan of his though, it's not easy to say but I was really disappointed with what he was able to get out of the car over the weekend. First half of the race he looked like he was in for a podium, but he just dropped off. Only thing I can think of is that the Red Bull is so finely tuned for clean air, without it he was just underperforming (notice how he dropped off once he had to fight through traffic after pitting?).

Unless there was damage from his run-in with Rosberg that could've caused the performance drop (I didn't see it, so I don't know exactly what parts of his car could've been affected).

Stoked for the McLarens though. Glad they managed to make it up there. Hamilton worked some magic with that Merc as well.

Kimi had an allergic reaction before the race

That explains why he didn't show up in the parade!

Permane: "With Kimi we used a two-stop strategy and relied on our long run pace. Considering he was suffering from an allergic reaction before he started the race it's a very impressive performance indeed."

From Turun Sanomat, translated by Nicole
--------
An allergy attack endangered Kimi's participance in Bahrain GP for a moment.

It was a torturing itch that made his skin go red, however the allergy attack went quickly over and Kimi could drive the race normally.

Räikkönen didn't take part in the drivers parade, which started speculations about him not taking part in the GP.

I think Webber will never do well.. Seems like he has given up on the whole thing and will make sure he fucks up Redbull on his way out

It's more that he's outclassed.

The Red Bull isn't the dominating car it once was. The second plus advantage (at times) has been eroded to nothing, depending on the track.

When the car had a big advantage, mistakes and a slower pace could be masked by the outright performance of the car.

While not popular, Helmut Marko's comments about Webber's mental make up are quite exact. Same goes for Massa also.

It may seem that way but I actually like Webber as a personality. As a driver, I'm not a fan. There are many others who are simply better.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just watched the race. It may have had to do with how hot it is today, but it felt incredibly long and boring. Happy with the results, Lotus drove really well, as did Alonso to get all the way back.

pants

Woo 46 points in gppredictor!
Up 7 places after last weeks disaster of dropping from 3rd to 18th

I can still catch Pants!
I will not let you pass, even if given team orders!

9ux8eic4htc.jpg

1st page is all I need.

Aww Yis. Gotta Go Pants.

Lach

First time I got more than 20 points (27) for my prediction (Had Lewis and Jenson correctly).

God..another 3 week wait...why bernie why?

Lucius86

Banned
Popped back into this thread - yep, still as annoying as hell - not a good advert for F1 at all...

I thought it was a great race, except for the win of course which was a forgone conclusion pretty early on. Both Perez and Button crossed the line, but it was amazing to watch. Great driving by a lot of drivers yesterday.

Alonso really made the best of a bad situation. He has a real chance of WDC this year, but he needs his consistency just like last year to do it.

Popped back into this thread - yep, still as annoying as hell - not a good advert for F1 at all...

I thought it was a great race, except for the win of course which was a forgone conclusion pretty early on. Both Perez and Button crossed the line, but it was amazing to watch. Great driving by a lot of drivers yesterday.

Alonso really made the best of a bad situation. He has a real chance of WDC this year, but he needs his consistency just like last year to do it.

I say he won't win it. Wana bet ;)

Shaneus

Hope I didn't contribute to that feeling at all, Lucius :(

What's your theory on Webber's drop-off mid-race? Stuck in traffic = dirty air = not the RB9's best conditions? That's the only reason I can think of him being consistently slower than Vettel during that part of the race. When he was second/third near the start, he was almost matching him.

What's your theory on Webber's drop-off mid-race? Stuck in traffic = dirty air = not the RB9's best conditions? That's the only reason I can think of him being consistently slower than Vettel during that part of the race. When he was second/third near the start, he was almost matching him.

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=chart&gp=896&dr=1&hid=2_5_6_9_10#.UXUCIspkhI0

Not sure if I would call it "almost matching him". He had a little luck that he could close the gap with the hard tires while Vettel was driving the softs a little bit too long.

Shaneus

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=chart&gp=896&dr=1&hid=2_5_6_9_10#.UXUCIspkhI0

Not sure if I would call it "almost matching him". He had a little luck that he could close the gap with the hard tires while Vettel was driving the softs a little bit too long.
Probably right... almost looks like they should've opted for a four-stopper given the significant drop-off 2-3 laps before he pitted. Probably could've made the time up that'd be lost by going into the pits.

You look at most of the drivers in the top 10, and they all had at least one stint where they managed to hold pace with Vettel... except for Webber, who consistently dropped off form as soon as he had his tyres changed. Something ain't right there.

Canada 2011. Button has form. When he doesn't get what he wants he turns into a cunt. Perez was faster than him at that stage and was running a different strategy, basically Button cost the team fifth place by forcing Perez to run in dirty air.

Button is a modern day Prost. Skilled driver, but not up there with the best so politiks his way to the top. It's become clear now that he managed to push Hamilton out of McLaren, but if Telmex are going to be title sponsor next season (taking over from Vodafone) then there is just no chance that he will be able to push Perez out.

The sooner McLaren start looking for a replacement for Button the better. I would love to see McLaren back on top, but with Button there sowing the seeds of dissent and doubt it just isn't going to happen.

Business

Button is a modern day Prost. Skilled driver, but not up there with the best so politiks his way to the top. It's become clear now that he managed to push Hamilton out of McLaren, but if Telmex are going to be title sponsor next season (taking over from Vodafone) then there is just no chance that he will be able to push Perez out.

tumblr_lpmph2c9d01qc93th.gif

Jibbed

Canada 2011. Button has form. When he doesn't get what he wants he turns into a cunt. Perez was faster than him at that stage and was running a different strategy, basically Button cost the team fifth place by forcing Perez to run in dirty air.

The sooner McLaren start looking for a replacement for Button the better. I would love to see McLaren back on top, but with Button there sowing the seeds of dissent and doubt it just isn't going to happen.

Are you high?

Lucius86

Banned
I say he won't win it. Wana bet ;)

I'm still not happy you wouldn't let me honour the bet!

Hope I didn't contribute to that feeling at all, Lucius :(

It's happened in previous seasons where the RB does not work well in dirty air, so I think an element of that is present. But the simple truth, for me at least, was Webber was just plain not fast enough. He did set fastest laps at times, but that was typically on new tyres before everyone else pitted (I think - going off memory here). Truth hurts, but he hasn't really had all that much going for him thus far in 2013.

Not denying Perez was faster - it was plain to see. Perez should not be smacking his nose into Buttons tyre - it could so easily have resulted in both in the pits for a new nose and a replacement tyre. It was great entertainment though, massive respect to McLaren team for actually letting them race.

Rubbish. That's pure speculation. Button is not that good at the political side like Prost was, and him forcing Hamilton out has what facts behind it to make that link? Button is not the fastest driver out there on raw pace, we all know that. But he is well rounded - yet he is also prone to off days. If you held a gun at Whitmarsh's head and said "Button or Hamilton", I'm pretty certain he would take Hamilton. I highly suspect Button had 0% input into Hamilton leaving, apart from perhaps Hamilton insisting on being the 'number 1' driver which he would never get at McLaren.

Bahrain might be season opener in 2014. I like Australia. :/

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/326262716853522432

It was a great watch, but Melbourne is just awesome for a season opener. I do not like this.

Hammer24

Banned
Count me now squarely in the WEB hater camp.
Only a reprimand for someone who had a grid penalty for a collision in the very same race? What a joke. I wont miss him next year. :mad:

Heh, this post needs a lot of straightening out, but I'll stick to this one - Alain Prost is a 4 times WDC who retired from the sport with the record for most victories. His place as the 5th best driver of all-time is a stone-cold lock. Button is no Prost, friend.

Heh, this post needs a lot of straightening out, but I'll stick to this one - Alain Prost is a 4 times WDC who retired from the sport with the record for most victories. His place as the 5th best driver of all-time is a stone-cold lock. Button is no Prost, friend.

Have to agree here. The Senna film did a real hatchet job on Prost's reputation.

Ark

If anything Alonso is far more Prost-like than Button. But that's also wrong because Alonso is far more Alonso like than Prost ;p

kharma45

Caterham made a good step forward at Bahrain I thought, and they've another stage of upgrades coming in Barcelona. I hope Marussia doesn't get left behind but good to see the smaller teams moving forward.

Fernando-Alonso-DRS_2933294.jpg

can't get any more miserable than this... can't believe he kept the car on track during the few first opening laps with so much grip gone...

I don't understand how the Sky commentary team missed it for so long, was open for 3-4 laps and they said nothing. Maybe if Crofty would focus on the cars rather than talking about Metallica...

Ark

I don't understand how the Sky commentary team missed it for so long, was open for 3-4 laps and they said nothing. Maybe if Crofty would focus on the cars rather than talking about Metallica...

Brundle misses a lot of stuff that happens on track, he's always caught up in the sector times of each driver. It was great when he and DC were together because DC would pick up on almost everything Brundle would miss.

I don't really rate Crofty as a TV commentator, but he's better than Legard was at least.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hammer24, do you have any idea, how Mercedes could sort out rear tire cooking?

I read somewhere that Rosberg had tires almost 9 degrees warmer than Lewis.

Vettel went to Sochi to check on the new Russian circut and he is quite impressed with the place

Pirelli is blaming debris for delamination and tyre explosion on Felipe's Ferrari.

kharma45

Brundle misses a lot of stuff that happens on track, he's always caught up in the sector times of each driver. It was great when he and DC were together because DC would pick up on almost everything Brundle would miss.

I don't really rate Crofty as a TV commentator, but he's better than Legard was at least.

Silence would be better than Legard.

Hammer24, do you have any idea, how Mercedes could sort out rear tire cooking?

I read somewhere that Rosberg had tires almost 9 degrees warmer than Lewis.

Vettel went to Sochi to check on the new Russian circut and he is quite impressed with the place

Pirelli is blaming debris for delamination and tyre explosion on Felipe's Ferrari.

Could be whatever way the brakes on Rosberg's car were set up as they iirc produce most of the heat into the tyre.

Lots of action this round. Unlucky for Ferrari dropped down to 30. grr.

question about tires. what is the alottment per race weekend and within the allotment is there a sub allotment for practice, qualies, then race day? Or is it cumulative where what is not used before race day is what is left for day of?

so if on race day there are no more tires to change after the required pits, that car is stuck for the remainder for the race?

Lots of action this round. Unlucky for Ferrari dropped down to 30. grr.

question about tires. what is the alottment per race weekend and within the allotment is there a sub allotment for practice, qualies, then race day? Or is it cumulative where what is not used before race day is what is left for day of?

so if on race day there are no more tires to change after the required pits, that car is stuck for the remainder for the race?

No, there aren't any sub-allotments, but the whole procedure is semi-complex with tires needing to be returned to Pirelli after certain sessions etc.

Read here.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Another possible scenario for awful Mercedes race pace could be that they are burning more fuel than other teams and because of this, they must start heavier than other teams and tyres are going away faster. But when car is lighter, their pace picks up.

If this is true, they will be roasted in Spa.

Top Bottom