• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Somewhat OT and I know many here aren't fans of EVs, but I can't wait for Formula E next year.

LA is on the Formula E schedule next year, electric racer hits the streets to celebrate

cZGFViF.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/23/los-angeles-formula-e-earth-day/

I'm definitely going to this next year.

I'm totally on favour of the Formula E concept, but I fear they're pushing ahead with it before the technology is ready, and that it's not going to help the series establish itself or the perception of the viability of electric cars.

Having to switch cars mid-race, let alone doing it twice, is utter bollocks.

I'm totally on favour of the Formula E concept, but I fear they're pushing ahead with it before the technology is ready, and that it's not going to help the series establish itself or the perception of the viability of electric cars.

While that's true, it's also like TylerD said:
An FIA sanctioned electric racing series is not a bad idea for the advancement of EVs as a whole.

It could push EV technology much faster.

Dead Man

Yeah, they should have some sort of battery swap or something instead. Getting out and running 100m to another car is utterly ridiculous.

While that's true, it's also like TylerD said:

It could push EV technology much faster.

Only if the rules encourage it. It looks like pretty much a spec series.
Wiki:
Forty-two cars were ordered in November 2012, with Formula One team McLaren providing the motor, transmission and electronics that all cars will use.

acm2000

Caterham made a good step forward at Bahrain I thought, and they've another stage of upgrades coming in Barcelona. I hope Marussia doesn't get left behind but good to see the smaller teams moving forward.

I don't understand how the Sky commentary team missed it for so long, was open for 3-4 laps and they said nothing. Maybe if Crofty would focus on the cars rather than talking about Metallica...

its sky, theyre awful, they never even noticed red bulls world record pitstop

Yeah, they should have some sort of battery swap or something instead. Getting out and running 100m to another car is utterly ridiculous.

Only if the rules encourage it. It looks like pretty much a spec series.
Both of the things you posted there suck... what were they thinking?

I certainly don't think they'll be alone in that approach (although May is pretty damn early). McLaren should just bail after Barcelona to be honest.

I certainly don't think they'll be alone in that approach (although May is pretty damn early). McLaren should just bail now to be honest.

I think Ferrari said during winter testing, that half of their team is already working on the 2014 car. Many said it was damage control, in case the 2013 car would turn out to be yet another turd.

I think Ferrari said during winter testing, that half of their team is already working on the 2014 car. Many said it was damage control, in case the 2013 car would turn out to be yet another turd.

It just shows you how important it is to get off on the right foot with a new generation of car. If you screw it up, it could take years to catch and ultimately pass your competitors.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

If I recall that correctly, they said that they will have one part of their team working on 2014 car. I do not think that they gave any number.. same goes for Mclaren (where situation became a bit different with Lowe and some other guys deflecting), Mercedes (Costa is apperently working full time on 2014 car), Lotus and RBR.

All big teams are already working on 2014 car from last autumn (teams with own engines even longer for engines), but now it is only matter of time, when they will switch more and more resources into 2014 contender. Teams, that will go for this year's WDC and WCC will be facing a dilemma during summer.

Is that a wider rear wing?

My bad: it seems that the new rules regarding wings and winglets were discarded in December 2012.

from wikipedia:
The 2014 regulations require the use of lower noses than in previous years, in the interests of safety. The tip of the nose will have to be no more than 185mm above the ground,[53] in comparison to the 550mm allowed in 2012.[54] The original rules—first published in August 2011—also called for a variety of bodywork changes aimed at cutting downforce, most notably through the use of narrower front wings, and a shallower angle to the main plane of rear wings. These additional changes were formally abandoned in December 2012,[55] but the requirement that cars be built with a nose no more than 185mm above the ground was retained.[56]

DBT85

Yeah, it seems odd... you'd think they'd provide better downforce, therefore are more safe. I guess.

They did try and push through further changes that would make the cars more reliant on Ground Effect and less dependant on wings generating downforce in the manner we are accustomed. It was hoped that this would mean since cars would be less affected by dirty air they could follow closer behind other cars than they currently do, and so we would have better racing.

The teams threw that one out though on cost grounds because apparently nobody knows enough about it to know if it would actually work as intended, and it would cost a lot of money to find out.

Edmond Dantès;55313724 said:
The wide wing beauties of days past are gone for good. That design ethos will not return.

Dammit!

The 2014 cars are looking more and more like GP2 cars, and the exhaust looks dumb. Too bad that this is the direction the FIA thinks is necessary, because I really hate it.

Hammer24

Banned
Dunno if its been mentioned yet: Kubica is testing the Merc simulator for a while now. Both the driver and the team are mum about what to make of it, Kubica just said that F1 is still his ultimate goal.

Business

Bit hard to tell if it helped given DRS. I do like the idea of reducing reliance on aerodynamic downforce just on principle though.

I totally agree. I'll take any day the uglier narrow wing, DRS, KERS, or whatever it takes so racing doesn't depend so much on aero. Increase mechanical grip reliance and decrease aero grip reliance. Making the wing narrow and put slick tyres is a measure towards that and I'm all for it, having a wide wing and putting stripes on the tyres to reduce grip like in the past was the kind of measures that led to very low overtaking action in the 2000's. Seems like everyone here forgot the catwalk that were the races on these years.

Does anybody have a good source of overtakings taking place per GP for the last few years?
This is the best I found, and it matches my feeling

PXuNLGE.jpg

Source

Bit hard to tell if it helped given DRS. I do like the idea of reducing reliance on aerodynamic downforce just on principle though.

They introduced the narrower rear wing spec in 2009, two years before DRS. Other than the ugly look, I don't think it had any effect on the cars.

Dead Man

They introduced the narrower rear wing spec in 2009, two years before DRS. Other than the ugly look, I don't think it had any effect on the cars.

The graph above suggest (only suggests) otherwise. Even if it did have no effect on overtaking, I prefer less aero downforce. If it was up to me the cars would be weighed in a wind tunnel and any downforce over x amount would be removed. That would encourage creative aero solutions to get the max down force with the least drag. It would also mean having to open up the rest of the rules quite a bit though.

Ark

As much as I'd love a return to the speed of the 2004 cars, these are necessary changes for the sport to remain relevant.

Put me down for disliking the new, lower front noses though. The Ferrari this year is a beautiful looking car, I'm sure I'll get used to the lower noses, but I do prefer this years arrangement - for some of the cars anyway (Ferrari, Force India).

Goldrusher

Schumacher to do a lap of the full Nürburgring. :)

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/04/25/schumacher-drive-f1-car-nurburgring-nordschleife/

Michael Schumacher will get back behind the wheel of an F1 car on the Nurburgring Nordschleife next month, Mercedes has confirmed.

Schumacher will drive a 2011 W02 on the longer version of the track which held Germany’s round of the world championship between 1951 and 1976.

“Schumacher will post a demonstration lap on the Nurburgring’s legendary Nordschleife in a Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 W02 to say ‘thank you’ to his fans for their years of loyal support during his F1 career,” said Mercedes in a statement.

The run will take place on Sunday 19th May ahead of the start of this year’s Nurburgring 24 Hours sportscar race.

The graph above suggest (only suggests) otherwise. Even if it did have no effect on overtaking, I prefer less aero downforce. If it was up to me the cars would be weighed in a wind tunnel and any downforce over x amount would be removed. That would encourage creative aero solutions to get the max down force with the least drag. It would also mean having to open up the rest of the rules quite a bit though.

They also introduced optional KERS in 2009. ;-) e: Ferrari, Williams, Renault and McLaren used it throughout the season.

jey_16

Banned
The 2014 cars don't look great based on the mock ups....feels like we are moving more and more towards a spec-series. Hopefully the teams make the same advancements like they did with the current set of design regulations, the 2009 cars look like GP2 cars compared to what we are seeing this year

Business

They also introduced optional KERS in 2009. ;-) e: Ferrari, Williams, Renault and McLaren used it throughout the season.

It's a combination of all the measures they are taking that's bringing back overtaking and action. From KERS to DRS, the narrow wing, the cost reduction and the crappy tyres, it all contributed to make worse cars but better races. Given the choice I take the second.

It seems a bit far fetched you claim the narrower thing had no effect at all because 4 teams started using KERS... ;) didn't some teams even stop using it mid season?

Hence suggests, and hence hard to tell :)
I'm not saying I'm not completely wrong (I probably am), it's just not how I remember it. I'd love to see the data from cars w/o KERS in 2009.

It's a combination of all the measures they are taking that's bringing back overtaking and action. From KERS to DRS, the narrow wing, the cost reduction and the crappy tyres, it all contributed to make worse cars but better races. Given the choice I take the second.

It seems a bit far fetched you claim the narrower thing had no effect at all because 4 teams started using KERS... ;) didn't some teams even stop using it mid season?

How else do you explain the huge spike starting 2010, when the majority of the cars were equipped with KERS? Unless I'm forgetting something else, of course.

Nicktendo86

Another reason why McLaren have fucked up this year, there were one of the only teams to run a low nose last year and were the fastest car all in all, they have gone high nose this year and will need to go back next year. It's like they have wastde a whoel year worth of information on how the low nose works.

Top Bottom