• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

SMD

What would cause them to do that if McLaren and FI aren't having the same issues?

He didn't mean the Mercedes engine literally, if anything Force India and McLaren showed them up.

They've clearly not got the package sorted out but it looks more promising than last season because at least they've got pace rather than fucking about with that daft DRS system.

dubc35

Finally got around to watch the race, pretty boring overall besides the last 10-15 laps. I'm glad too, had to watch the amateur NBC sports net coverage. The announcers are such imbeciles, talking over each other, talking over team radio broadcasts, just an all around terrible broadcast IMO.

I'm kind of surprised, haven't looked around online yet, that PER didn't get a penalty for running ALO off the road.

Apparently Vettel is very impressed with the Russian track:

3WWBSQU.jpg

Of course it was just a PR event, which means we don't know what he's really thinking, but the tracks looks so ... well, the exact opposite.

Finally got around to watch the race, pretty boring overall besides the last 10-15 laps. I'm glad too, had to watch the amateur NBC sports net coverage. The announcers are such imbeciles, talking over each other, talking over team radio broadcasts, just an all around terrible broadcast IMO.

I'm kind of surprised, haven't looked around online yet, that PER didn't get a penalty for running ALO off the road.

Will Buxton spoke over sooo many radio calls :(

Also, Leigh Diffy sucks.

dubc35

3WWBSQU.jpg

Of course it was just a PR event, which means we don't know what he's really thinking, but the tracks looks so ... well, the exact opposite.
"I will enjoy this money they are giving me!"

Will Buxton spoke over sooo many radio calls :(

Also, Leigh Diffy sucks.
I watch a Speed/Fox, now NBC, GP about once a year or so. My opinion of them seems to increase the more I don't watch them. Then I watch a GP and I'm astonished how shitty they are.

Shaneus

3WWBSQU.jpg

I saw that mentioned on Red Bull's Facebook... does it strike anyone else as weird that Webber didn't go as well? Could it be that he has no interest in it if he's not going to be around next year?

Mind you, I do recall pretty solidly that speculation about him leaving F1 has been like this the last few years, so I wouldn't be surprised if he stays, either.

dubc35

I saw that mentioned on Red Bull's Facebook... does it strike anyone else as weird that Webber didn't go as well? Could it be that he has no interest in it if he's not going to be around next year?

Mind you, I do recall pretty solidly that speculation about him leaving F1 has been like this the last few years, so I wouldn't be surprised if he stays, either.

The US broadcasters said he was going to Austria to meet with the head of Red Bull, forgot his name at the moment.

Vettel was there to promote some Infiniti Vettel edition car. I doubt such a thing exists for Webber.

Vettel was doing PR alone at the New Jersey circuit last year too. PR events don't necessarily require more than a couple representatives of a team.

Shaneus

The US broadcasters said he was going to Austria to meet with the head of Red Bull, forgot his name at the moment.
Oh, that's interesting.

Yep. Don't remember his name either but they said they've got a good relationship.
Very good, from what I understand. It seems that Dietrich Mateschitz is very much on the side of Webber and Helmut Marko is equally as much on Vettel's side.

To be honest, if Webber gets a drive in a Porsche touring car next year (regardless of whether it's GT or LMP) I think I'd be surprised if it wasn't backed by Red Bull. It's one form of motor racing I don't believe they've dipped their toes in yet.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

The same way Button pushed Perez off the road, or the way Rosberg pushed everyone off the road last year. This is pretty much a zero risk track, you could drive off circuit for like 10 minutes without hitting anything....

Hammer24

Banned
Hammer24, do you have any idea, how Mercedes could sort out rear tire cooking?

I read somewhere that Rosberg had tires almost 9 degrees warmer than Lewis.

From what I heard it boils down to a bad weather forecast. They expected the race day to be a lot cooler than it actually was, and setup the car accordingly. The difference between ROS and HAM tyre temps was driving style - ROS did a lot more defending and attacking, HAM saved his tyres more.

Lach

It's all good between them now. Checo even gives a nod to RedBull
@JensonButton said:
Important chat yesterday with @SChecoPerez 2 clear the air. As a team we will move forward and live 2 fight another day ;) roll on Barcelona

@SChecoPerez said:
@JensonButton hope next time we can fight for 1 - 2 !! Thanks again to @TheFifthDriver for letting us fight , good lesson for other Teams ;)

Shaneus

That's pretty cool, actually. Actually sounds like they've properly made up, as opposed to Vettel's pissweak "sorry" attempt.

2 - 1 surely?

Unless you mean the other teams bit, though that doesn't really apply to Red Bull any more
as Webber can't get close enough to race

Shaneus

2 - 1 surely?

Unless you mean the other teams bit, though that doesn't really apply to Red Bull any more
as Webber can't get close enough to race
Yeah :( Seems the only guy that can come close is Webber and Vettel will just throw a hissy fit and change to a different playbook to win the race.

I know right, I mean taking advantage of the fact that your teammate used too much of his fuel and wrecked his tyres is so unfair!

Mark, Felipe is faster than you.

Somewhat OT and I know many here aren't fans of EVs, but I can't wait for Formula E next year.

LA is on the Formula E schedule next year, electric racer hits the streets to celebrate

cZGFViF.jpg

The FIA's upcoming Formula E series has revealed two US dates on its début 2014 calendar (Los Angeles, Miami) and yesterday it took to LA's streets to promote the partnership. For Earth Day, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa welcomed Formula E Holdings CEO Alejandro Agag downtown along with a Formula E racecar for the exhibition. The race will run on downtown streets next year, although the exact route the 140mph-capable EVs will take has yet to be locked down.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/23/los-angeles-formula-e-earth-day/

Kimi spoke in drivers meeting for the first time in his career:

Räikkönen clashed with Sergio Perez in China. It bugged the Finn so much that Räikkönen talked for the first time during his whole F1-career in Bahrain’s driver-meeting .

Räikkönen asked Charlie Whiting if a penalty would be handed for the crash. Based upon what I heard, three drivers were of the opinion that Perez should be penalized, but the rest were silent. Whiting replied that the jury did the right thing in China when they didn’t hand out penalties for that incident.

Personally, I would say it deserved a penalty. Also, my opinion is influenced by how Kimi is frustrated about it. He is one of if not the most fair driver in recent history. So why would he, not just vent out during the race, but do something that he never did before. Kimi would usually let things go after the race day if not after few minutes!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
From what I heard it boils down to a bad weather forecast. They expected the race day to be a lot cooler than it actually was, and setup the car accordingly. The difference between ROS and HAM tyre temps was driving style - ROS did a lot more defending and attacking, HAM saved his tyres more.
Well this could be the factor. But I am still baffled why are both Mercedes cars so slow on first stint? There must be something going on with their weight or to be more precise, fuel levels.

It's all good between them now. Checo even gives a nod to RedBull

I hope that Checo locks his hotel room during the night

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Somewhat OT and I know many here aren't fans of EVs, but I can't wait for Formula E next year.

LA is on the Formula E schedule next year, electric racer hits the streets to celebrate

Oh wow. I didn't know about Formula E. That looks like it could be very interesting. I'll definitely have an eye on that.

Top Bottom