• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Business

How else do you explain the huge spike starting 2010, when the majority of the cars were equipped with KERS? Unless I'm forgetting something else, of course.

Because you can't isolate one factor only. You know how the narrow wing fared without KERS but you don't know how KERS fares without the narrow wing. KERS+Narrow wing+Cost reduction+now with DRS... all these together are bringing the number of overtaking per race up.

Because you can't isolate one factor only. You know how the narrow wing fared without KERS but you don't know how KERS fares without the narrow wing. KERS+Narrow wing+Cost reduction+now with DRS... all these together are bringing the number of overtaking per race up.

Fine, you're right. You're right!

I just want the old, wider wings back!

Business

I actually kind of like them now. Granted when they first showed them they looked ugly as sin to me but I'm getting used. Same happened with the step noses.

Probably in 10 years people will be posting cars look like shit and the cars in 2013 were the real deal.

Chris R

One championship he won in the last corner of the last race due to someone having traction issue.....

The legacy continues.

Also, I'd love to be a fly on the wall and listen to Nicole and Lewis conversations. I bet they are amazing.

Hey now, he almost was a double world champion, if he hadn't gone off in the pit lane in China...

DBT85

One championship he won in the last corner of the last race due to someone having traction issue.....

The legacy continues.

Also, I'd love to be a fly on the wall and listen to Nicole and Lewis conversations. I bet they are amazing.

One championship he won over a season by scoring more points than anyone else. Same as every other World Champion ever.

kitch9

Banned

The legacy continues.

The fact he got more points than anyone else over a full season doesn't count then?

I think I get where Rukus is coming from, but I don't necessarily agree with him. There are drivers who won one world championship and are kinda forgettable and don't really stand out in one way or another and then you have drivers who won only one WDC and are considered legends, because of their driving style, but mostly because of their character. Just look at Damon Hill, James Hunt, Jenson Button, Kimi Raikonnen, Jagues Villeneuve. One is not like the other. They all were able to win only one championship (so far)but some are considered to be bigger than the other. Maybe he thinks Lewis is not a champion who stands out.

I think I get where Rukus is coming from, but I don't necessarily agree with him. There are drivers who won one world championship and are kinda forgettable and don't really stand out in one way or another and then you have drivers who won only one WDC and are considered legends, because of their driving style, but mostly because of their character. Just look at Damon Hill, James Hunt, Jenson Button, Kimi Raikonnen, Jagues Villeneuve. One is not like the other. They all were able to win only one championship (so far)but some are considered to be bigger than the other. Maybe he thinks Lewis is not a champion who stands out.

He came into McLaren that was a Class A car and has been with them until this year.

Is he fast? yes.

I just don't think he's very smart and knows how to play the game off the track as well as others he's competing against.

For that, he's not a complete driver. Certainly not an All Time Great as he perceives himself to be.

If he can play a leadership role at Mercedes and get the program turned around on his back, I'd certainly change my opinion.

I think I'd have a lot more time for that sort of talk if he didn't keep on mentioning himself in the same breath as Senna (as with the "museum" interview recently). He's got a long, long, long way to go.

Ark

He came into McLaren that was a Class A car and has been with them until this year.

Is he fast? yes.

I just don't think he's very smart and knows how to play the game off the track as well as others he's competing against.

For that, he's not a complete driver. Certainly not an All Time Great as he perceives himself to be.

If he can play a leadership role at Mercedes and get the program turned around on his back, I'd certainly change my opinion.

You're seven years late to that bandwagon.

It's amazing how some people will hold their opinions so adamantly, more power to you.

Dead Man

I think I'd have a lot more time for that sort of talk if he didn't keep on mentioning himself in the same breath as Senna (as with the "museum" interview recently). He's got a long, long, long way to go.

Yeah, pretty much. He has it in him to be one of the greats, but he ain't there yet. Close, but not there yet. What he really doesn't seem to see is that he can't decide that he is one of the greats, history will do that.

I actually kind of like them now. Granted when they first showed them they looked ugly as sin to me but I'm getting used. Same happened with the step noses.

Probably in 10 years people will be posting cars look like shit and the cars in 2013 were the real deal.

nope no one will ever say this, these past 2 years, and 08 are going right up there with the 70s in shit car design

Dead Man

nope no one will ever say this, these past 2 years, and 08 are going right up there with the 70s in shit car design

What the fuck am I reading here?

1978_lotus_78_real.jpg

072108-1255-carprofilef1.jpg

1970-McLaren-M14A-Formula-1-Racing-Car.jpg

4587719514_4a3f79eec7_z.jpg

Yeah, the majority of cars in the 70s look like shit. Early 80s too, really. In my mind, F1 cars looked gorgeous through the late 60s until wings started being introduced, then bounced back in the mid-80s once they started figuring out the aerodynamics. Cars have taken a dive since 08, a couple look alright but the majority recently look like garbage.

Dead Man

oh sure you can pick out a few beauties amongst the bunch

ex.
2012mclaren-35.jpg

but when the majority looks like this
Caterham_th0001.jpg9b46e15e-418b-496c-8b6d-df3d37464aebLarge.jpg

2926647199_de5c3f3c44.jpg

especially compared to the 60s, 90s, and early 2000s

I'm sorry I can't say it was a good time for F1 design

It was a great time for F1 design. The rules were wide open, aero was not well understood, there was massive creativity. There were plenty of ugly cars, sure, but more of the cars were good looking than not, there was good variety, they weren't all cookie cutter copies of each with with very small differences.

Here are all the 1970's F1 cars. How many are actually ugly?

Bigger image with all the cars:
http://areadeescape.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/everyf1car19502004.jpg

Does anyone know an image host that won't resize a large image?

Shaneus

but when the majority looks like this
Caterham_th0001.jpg9b46e15e-418b-496c-8b6d-df3d37464aebLarge.jpg
IMO you actually chose a really bad example to argue your point of bad looking cars. I think the 2012 Caterham was one of the best looking cars on the grid. Other than it's stepped nose, it's up there with any halfway-decent looking car of the last 30 years. Sure, not the best... but far from the worst.

Seanspeed

Banned
How else do you explain the huge spike starting 2010, when the majority of the cars were equipped with KERS? Unless I'm forgetting something else, of course.
Ban on refueling. ;)

Another reason why McLaren have fucked up this year, there were one of the only teams to run a low nose last year and were the fastest car all in all, they have gone high nose this year and will need to go back next year. It's like they have wastde a whoel year worth of information on how the low nose works.
Sticking with the lower nose this year wouldn't help them any for 2014. The nose is going to be even lower than what Mclaren started out with in 2012 anyways.

Also, to clarify, they will have narrower front wings still next year. Not much(1650mm instead of the current 1800mm), but it'll be noticeable as they wont be sticking out to the very ends of the car's width. More importantly, though, it will mean a total re-think on the use of the front wing to get the air to the back as there will be tires blocking the endplates.

So all in all, every team will have to do clean sheet designs from what they've been doing the past few years. The beam wing will be gone(that has not been scrapped), exhausts will be exiting from the center of the rear and of course the new V6's turbos and new gearboxes all mean entire new rear-ends, so while the more radical 2014 aero rules were tossed(not because of costs, but because it would have made the cars too slow), its still pretty much a complete overhaul of the regulations.

Top Bottom