• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Leunam

Not sure how reputable that website is, but a Thailand GP had been in talks for a while now. I think it was slated to be a night race like Singapore.

Dead Man

The only thing less interesting to me than a Tilke track is another street circuit. Oh well, at least following other types of racing has become easier the last year or so.

BT-44b

images

Ferrari 643

When I oust Jean Todt as the president of the FIA, Ti skidplates and 1975 spec tires are going back on the cars.

dubc35

Is that Russian circuit Tilke? Other than that, what else has been rumored? Long Beach (street), New Jersey (street), Red Bull Ring (not FiA approved?), anything else? It seems like we're in a street circuit or Tilke funk. :(

dubc35

f1fanatic said:
From the waterfront the cars will follow a clockwise route which takes in Ratchadamnoen Avenue which Mark Webber drove along in a demonstration run for Red Bull in 2010.

A final track layout will require formal approval from the FIA before the race takes place in two years’ time. Race organisers intend Thailand’s first grand prix to take place at night.

Hopefully the FIA says the layout is shit and says no.

e* The pit pass site says the layout is approved by local organizers but not the FIA yet. Any hope they adjust it? Turn it down would be best but I don't see that happening with greedy Bernie.

Seanspeed

Banned
Thanks dub.

I hate to always just assume the worst based on a 1st impression, but yea, its really hard to find much to be excited about that. Its 3.7 miles, which is actually pretty long, so it looks like they'd be hitting good speeds. That one long sweeper might be a 'nearly flat' corner, which would be cool.

But there's only 11 corners if you include the kink at the end of the west-side straight. 12 if you count the little roundabout as two corners.

I guess it'll work. Should be two good overtaking spots at least. Its just doesn't look like a very inspired layout in terms of driving it, kinda like Valencia. I'm not totally against this as I think the calendar can do with one or two more street circuits. I would have liked something a bit better, but it could have been worse.

Ark

Is that Russian circuit Tilke? Other than that, what else has been rumored? Long Beach (street), New Jersey (street), Red Bull Ring (not FiA approved?), anything else? It seems like we're in a street circuit or Tilke funk. :(

Wasn't the Red Bull Ring deemed fit for racing, but they lacked the grandstands and such?

It was more than that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20657102

There are, however, a number of potential problems with the Red Bull Ring hosting a grand prix.
These include the shortage of hotel accommodation in the mountainous Styrian region, an agreement between Red Bull and the regional government to host no event with a crowd of more than 40,000, and the lack of facilities and organisation to run an event of such magnitude.

But Marko told Salzburger Nachrichten none of these was insurmountable.

On the race fee, he said: "There is the province of Styria, the Republic of Austria." And in response to the suggestion that few European governments could justify funding a grand prix in the current times of austerity, he said: "Let's wait and see."

He said objections over the limited accommodation were "nonsense", adding: "It managed in the 1970s and 1980s." He pointed out that the city of Graz, 50 miles away from the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, had more than enough hotel rooms.

f0rk

Thinking Silverstone again this year, it can't rain two years in a row right? Might try Abbey instead of Club for the race.

Anyone else look at those 60's-70's era cars and think, as beautiful as they may be, goddamn the drivers are really exposed?

At the terrible 1960 Spa race, two drivers were killed - one decapped by a barbed wire fence, 5 laps later at the same corner the other hit in the face by a bird. Exposure was definitely a problem (amongst many others).

DBT85

wasn't some of the early cars made out of WW2 drop tanks with wheels bolted on them?

Not that I can find.

Formula 1 was the name of the sport coming out of WW2, but it existed of a fashion before that with Grand Prix Motor Racing.

Anyone else look at those 60's-70's era cars and think, as beautiful as they may be, goddamn the drivers are really exposed?

You should watch watch Grand Prix: The Killer Years. Very enlightening documentary. Terrifying too.

Not on Youtube but I'm sure more discerning viewers can find it.

Also check out Madness on Wheels: Rallying's Craziest Years which covers the unrestricted early 80s where they were going nuts with the cars and a bunch of fans got killed.

Apparently there is another one called Deadliest Crash: The 1955 Le Mans Disaster which I have not seen. I've just found it on Vimeo.

All three are by the same guy.

Gruso

You should watch watch Grand Prix: The Killer Years. Very enlightening documentary. Terrifying too.

Also check out Madness on Wheels: Rallying's Craziest Years which covers the unrestricted early 80s where they were going nuts with the cars and a bunch of fans got killed.

Apparently there is another one called Deadliest Crash: The 1955 Le Mans Disaster which I have not seen. I've just found it on Vimeo.

Grand Prix: The Killer Years is essential viewing for F1 fans. I haven't seen the other two, thanks for the tip. The Le Mans disaster must be the blackest mark on motorsport. I've only seen short bits on Youtube.

The Le Mans doc is good. They unearthed some additional footage of the crash, a dramatic head-on shot of the contact and the car going airborne. Interviews with fans that were there, etc. Horrifying stuff, but certainly worth knowing about.

dubc35

Not that I can find.

Formula 1 was the name of the sport coming out of WW2, but it existed of a fashion before that with Grand Prix Motor Racing.

GP: Killer Years on vimeo

Madness on Wheels

kharma45

That vid just made me watch a whole bunch of other Schumi clips.

Damn I'll miss him.

Also made me realise how damn long Alonso, Button and Raikonnen have been in F1. I feel sorta old :(

I miss him already. I just wish he'd had better luck last year with the W03 when it was competitive, probably could have got a handful of podiums rather than just the one. Seems like Rosberg has got his dud car this year.

Aye Button especially is someone who just feels like he has always been there, I'd forgotten about him driving for Renault until recently.

Meteorain

I miss him already. I just wish he'd had better luck last year with the W03 when it was competitive, probably could have got a handful of podiums rather than just the one. Seems like Rosberg has got his dud car this year.

Aye Button especially is someone who just feels like he has always been there, I'd forgotten about him driving for Renault until recently.

The best part is when you're watching the old clips and you see the older TV layouts for presenting times and info and you're going "I remember that!!"

kharma45

The best part is when you're watching the old clips and you see the older TV layouts for presenting times and info and you're going "I remember that!!"

I remember being awfully excited when I was younger getting F1 World Grand Prix II on the N64 and it having the same layout as the TV for timing etc.

gfs_42116_2_5.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Awesome documentaries

Also, Kubica confirmed that he was driving in Mercedes F1 simulator, but he refused to comment on any details.

nny

No matter how many times I see Group B footage, I'm always astonished with it; complete madness, I'm surprised accidents weren't even more frequent.

The first images of this documentary (the jump with the people clearing the road as the car approaches) impresses me especially, because it's in my home town and I've been on those roads plenty of times to enjoy this magnificent sport, fortunately I never witnessed anything like this.

Also, in the end there is no end

http://vimeo.com/51552771

What a beautiful video. I miss him a lot.

ramparter

Banned
I remember being awfully excited when I was younger getting F1 World Grand Prix II on the N64 and it having the same layout as the TV for timing etc.

gfs_42116_2_5.jpg
So many hours on these games.

F1 WGP and II were the reason I started watching F1, 1999 season in particular since 1998 was over when I played the first game.

That's the reason I watched 1997 & 1998 season reviews before 2 weeks in that awesome vimeo channel.

Shaneus

Edmond Dantès;55949880 said:
Destined for greatness before his tragic crash. Jackie Stewart recognised a rare talent in him.

73FR-T21-332.jpg
Is that colourised? I can't tell, but it kinda looks like it.

^Gotta love old helmet designs, so iconic.
Ugh, I know. Wish we still had them now, they just look boss.

I think everything post-this era (that's Webber's Minardi helmet) kind of went a little overboard.

Actually, that image is perfect for this thing that popped up this morning:

Article
Webber’s relationship with Vettel appeared to be at an all-time low following the incident in the Malaysian Grand Prix, which saw the defending world champion pass Webber for the lead against team orders. However, the Australian driver has suggested the opposite is true in a recent interview with IANS.

“Sebastian and I are a team and we share a great camaraderie,” Webber said.

“Sebastian is an experienced driver. Besides, we have a common goal as teammates to make our team proud.”

Webber suggested that it was the drivers’ duty to Red Bull to respect and push each other.

“We continue to respect each other and will continue to remain focused in wanting to make the team proud.”
Ua6JXpw.jpg

GrLhQyB.png

Top Bottom