• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Shaneus

If the teams haven't thought of it yet then there must be a reason why.

The fuel all has to be able to be drained, and all has to be in one bladder, so i don;t see how you could do as you suggest without an electronic switch inside preventing the fuel from escaping. Maybe they aren't allowed.
Fair point. I was somewhat thinking of an area off to the side where the fuel pump can't access it (at least, has a lot of difficulty doing so) but is still technically a part of the main fuel "bag". I also suspect that maybe they all use the same one?

DBT85

Fair point. I was somewhat thinking of an area off to the side where the fuel pump can't access it (at least, has a lot of difficulty doing so) but is still technically a part of the main fuel "bag". I also suspect that maybe they all use the same one?

The problem with that is that if the pump cant get at it then the FIA will suffer the same problem.

And do you mean use the same tank? No each team has it's own made by one very specific manufacturer and using very specific materials and standards. They put the fuel tank in scrunched up, as it's the only way of getting it into the space. Once in place they open it up.

Scarbs did a nice writeup on the tanks

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/06/01/analysis-f1-fuel-system/

Chris R

For some reason I thought Spain was this week. I'll still be waking up at 4 am on Sunday though :( stupid Merseyside Derby!

During the first four Grands Prix of the season, drivers were forced to compete without cockpit warning lights and had to rely on race engineers to inform them of DRS usage under yellow flags, as the link between race control and the cars had failed.

However, with a break of almost three weeks between the most recent round at Sakhir and Formula 1's arrival in Europe, a solution is expected to have been found.

"We've been told they've got an upgrade which is going to Barcelona and then it'll be working from there," Derek Warwick, who has acted as the driver representative steward on a number of occasions, explained to the Reuters news agency.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/294037/telemetry-link-upgrade-planned-for-spain/

F1 is a multi-billion dollar sport and I can't believe it took them months to fix this. It's unacceptable and a fricking joke.

kharma45

Mercedes say if Kubica can do it they'll let him drive their F1 car

If there's any chance of getting him back in a DTM touring car or F1 cockpit, we'd love to do it," said Wolff.

"Any team would love to have a Robert Kubica."

It'd be interesting to see if he'd be able to make a Friday practice session later in the year.

Also, Marussia is likely to use Ferrari turbo engines next season when the new regulations come in, according to the team’s technical director Pat Symonds.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/05/marussia-likely-to-use-ferrari-turbo-engines-in-2014/

dubc35

It was just a couple months ago he personally said he would never drive an F1 car, right? Something like he couldn't get full lock with his injured arm. Regardless, good news if he can.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes say if Kubica can do it they'll let him drive their F1 car

It'd be interesting to see if he'd be able to make a Friday practice session later in the year.

Also, Marussia is likely to use Ferrari turbo engines next season when the new regulations come in, according to the team’s technical director Pat Symonds.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/05/marussia-likely-to-use-ferrari-turbo-engines-in-2014/

He and Wolff are old friends, so Toto is helping him as much as he can. Too bad that all Mercedes DTM teams were full, but I think that Kubica could and will drive at least in DTM. Or maybe he is doing some 2014 stuff on the simulator? Who knows? ;)

As for Marussia - logical step to use Ferrari engine, Mercedes and Renault have their allocations covered.

kharma45

New rear wing in Spain for Sauber, hope this moves them on to where I expected them to be at the head of the midfield

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/03/sauber-to-run-new-rear-wing-at-spanish-grand-prix/

I think that's rather optimistic. If he's ever fit enough to drive an F1 car again, I expect he'll be in old cars at private tests long before he'd return to a public stage like that again.

Possibly is considering how long it has taken him to get this far.

TCRS

Banned
I need to watch this more often. I love the cars but I don't really know what is going on and who is racing who.

Ark

It can be confusing to follow. My enjoyment of the races is usually directly related to how good the commentary is.

The Eurosport commentary is always great, especially at Le Mans. But I can't complain about the Radio Le Mans commentary & stream when it's free.

Dead Man

I need to watch this more often. I love the cars but I don't really know what is going on and who is racing who.

There are some very helpful and knowledgeable posters in this thread, hang around I'm sure they'll help you out if you have some questions.

Zozobra

For those who have attended the races, I'm assuming there's merch available for sale - are the prices the same as they would be ordering through the F1 site?

I've been eyeing the Lotus rain jacket and debating whether or not to order it online or when I'm at Suzuka (assuming it's available there).

For those who have attended the races, I'm assuming there's merch available for sale - are the prices the same as they would be ordering through the F1 site?

I've been eyeing the Lotus rain jacket and debating whether or not to order it online or when I'm at Suzuka (assuming it's available there).

When I was at the Austin race last year, prices were higher than the website and they didn't carry all of the merchandise. They had stands everywhere but it was mostly the caps, t-shirts, polos, and some jackets.

Pimpwerx

3 weeks gap should not be allowed.. fuck you Bernie..

Give us 22 races and stop back to backs

I was gonna ask what you did before they expanded the season to 19 races. I think it was 16 or 17 races since I started watching in the 90s. Then I remembered that we had testing during the off weeks. Holy shit! I can't believe I forgot that. If the FIA needs to do anything, it's to schedule 2 or 3 test sessions during those long layoffs. They can still leave the end-of-summer lockout/break, but those testing sessions made off weeks tolerable.

The racing action is far better today than in the 90s, but I have to think the experience over a full season was more consistent in the 90s because the constant testing gave you something to follow all the time. Right now, I only have to follow F1 on race weekends. It's more convenient this way, but I have to think the FIA is leaving a lot of money on the table this way. PEACE.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was gonna ask what you did before they expanded the season to 19 races. I think it was 16 or 17 races since I started watching in the 90s. Then I remembered that we had testing during the off weeks. Holy shit! I can't believe I forgot that. If the FIA needs to do anything, it's to schedule 2 or 3 test sessions during those long layoffs. They can still leave the end-of-summer lockout/break, but those testing sessions made off weeks tolerable.

The racing action is far better today than in the 90s, but I have to think the experience over a full season was more consistent in the 90s because the constant testing gave you something to follow all the time. Right now, I only have to follow F1 on race weekends. It's more convenient this way, but I have to think the FIA is leaving a lot of money on the table this way. PEACE.
Cost cutting measures means in-season testing is a thing of the past. They tried to revive it last year but ultimately, most teams found it a waste and half didn't even show.

The majority of F1 fans I imagine dont pay attention to testing. They like to watch the races and maybe qualifying. It takes the more hardcore variety to get into testing and practice sessions, just like with most sports.

Despite this, F1 is still better off now schedule-wise. The winter break is shorter than ever and there's always been 3 week breaks in F1. Its just as big fans, each time they come around it feels like forever!

Suzuka has everything. It has a dedicated store by the entrance where you can find a selection from all teams and other F1 related products.
outside you will find all the teams stands and they are STACKED. I was at Malaysia a few weeks ago and the stalls were pretty lame, Suzuka conquers all.

Pimpwerx

Cost cutting measures means in-season testing is a thing of the past. They tried to revive it last year but ultimately, most teams found it a waste and half didn't even show.

The majority of F1 fans I imagine dont pay attention to testing. They like to watch the races and maybe qualifying. It takes the more hardcore variety to get into testing and practice sessions, just like with most sports.

Despite this, F1 is still better off now schedule-wise. The winter break is shorter than ever and there's always been 3 week breaks in F1. Its just as big fans, each time they come around it feels like forever!

I think I have to agree. Nostalgia fucking with my memory. LOL! PEACE.

Lach

2013_Pitstop_Infographic.jpg

nothing to add...

DBT85

Rookie type plans have been abandoned, however each team gets a set of prototype tyres for Spain

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107236

Force India had tabled an idea for teams to be given a more durable set of rubber that they could run in free practice if they ran a rookie driver.

The idea did not get the unanimous support it needed though, with there being further complications over the exact definition of a rookie driver because some outfits have experienced testers who have never actually raced in F1.

With F1 tyre supplier Pirelli still keen to deliver the extra rubber in a bid to encourage more running in first free practice, all teams will now be allowed to run the more durable prototype compound on Friday.

Paul Hembery, Pirelli's motorsport director, said: "As permitted by the current regulations, we'll be supplying an extra set of prototype hard compound tyres for free practice, which will hopefully ensure that all the cars run throughout these sessions.

Zozobra

Suzuka has everything. It has a dedicated store by the entrance where you can find a selection from all teams and other F1 related products.
outside you will find all the teams stands and they are STACKED. I was at Malaysia a few weeks ago and the stalls were pretty lame, Suzuka conquers all.

Ok, this is good to know. I appreciate the reply!

Addnan

Why do we have Hard and Mediums for Spain? That's very conservative.

Lotus advantage is gone, they are the weakest on Mediums
Did they not use Hard/Soft last year? Using hard/medium is pretty stupid considering what happened last race. Little difference between the two.

Foshy

Rookie type plans have been abandoned, however each team gets a set of prototype tyres for Spain

With F1 tyre supplier Pirelli still keen to deliver the extra rubber in a bid to encourage more running in first free practice, all teams will now be allowed to run the more durable prototype compound on Friday.

Paul Hembery, Pirelli's motorsport director, said: "As permitted by the current regulations, we'll be supplying an extra set of prototype hard compound tyres for free practice, which will hopefully ensure that all the cars run throughout these sessions.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107236

I don't see the need for this at all. Why would any team want to run tests on tyres that they won't be using anyway for qualifying and ace?

Omiee

I dont know about you guys but i cant take these 3 weeks off between races =(

i need my f1 fix badddd.

Im actually rewatching some seasons reviews.

1998 season and 1999 season are one of the best seasons iv watched as a hakinnen fan.

Shaneus

Still only rumours at this stage and likely to be denied (I assume the Daily Star is some kind of POS tabloid?), but still:
Mark Webber to quit F1
MARK WEBBER will walk away from Formula One at the end of this season.

The Red Bull driver has told close friends this year will be his final ­campaign in grand prix ­racing.

And he is ­already making plans to leave Britain, where he has a £2million home in the Buckinghamshire village of Aston Clinton, to ­return home to Australia.

I'm thinking that it's just a rumour at this stage... I doubt very much that he'd ever consider coming back to Australia, there really isn't a lot for him to do here, career-wise.

Omiee

Still only rumours at this stage and likely to be denied (I assume the Daily Star is some kind of POS tabloid?), but still:
Mark Webber to quit F1

I'm thinking that it's just a rumour at this stage... I doubt very much that he'd ever consider coming back to Australia, there really isn't a lot for him to do here, career-wise.

Where there is smoke....

kharma45

Mark Webber to quit F1

Yeah it's one of the worst papers in the UK.

Gruso

I doubt very much that he'd ever consider coming back to Australia, there really isn't a lot for him to do here, career-wise.
My thoughts exactly. He may leave F1, but if he wants to drive in another series he won't come back to Australia.

Slow news period in F1 when its all colour stories about the 'human element'.
Webler will quit F1 because his team mate didnt obey an order??? and the year before, Webler was offered a chance to move to Ferrari (and bring some Newey IP over)

The quit rumours and so on are probably a smokescreen dropped by Flavio, so RBR arent caught by surprise when Webler moves to Ferrari to keep Jules's seat warm while he cuts his teeth in Marussia.
Webler may be one of the least consistent performers in a top team, but I dont see him as an Emo aussie.

Top Bottom