• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Clearly the best picture from the article:

t238UvB.jpg

HAHA.. Fantastic stuff

RBR with not a perfect cart make Vettel look average but better than Webber
In fairness I think a retarded strategy was what made Vettel look average today rather than the car. It was clear early on that three stops was never going to work and they should have switched far sooner (and in reality they shouldn't have been on three stops at all).

RBR with not a perfect cart make Vettel look average but better than Webber, Hamilton is painful to watch as he's my second fav driver (Kimi), and to be honest Alonso is the best when given a somewhat decent car, +20 secs ahead of Massa same car.

So the difference between average and "he is the best" is 8 seconds more or less ahead of the team mate?
That was the gap before all four switched to cruise mode.

Ce-Lin

ok so I come home from some sun-bathing on the beach and I see a bunch of disgusting pics what was that haha I don't even know...

well at least Alonso winning means more pics of his girlfriend

224435dabb1c11e2a2c122000a1f9d4d_7.jpg

seems like lately she's been eating a bit more ? good for her, she was starving to death

Zozobra

Not the most exciting race of the season, but damn if I don't love this sport more each race I watch!

I had a couple questions, though:

1. So when someone says a driver is in "dirty air", does that refer to being a certain distance behind the car ahead, putting the driver at some sort of an aerodynamic disadvantage prior to getting into a slipstream? The name itself leads me to believe it's not an ideal place to be in, but I can't tell from the commentary whether it truly is or not.

2. I guess I don't fully understand how being DRS-eligible works. I thought it is only considered if the car ahead is actually ahead of you in the race; however, it seemed as though there were a lot of drivers being allowed to use DRS by coming up behind a car they were lapping? Maybe I was just imagining that...

Addnan

Not the most exciting race of the season, but damn if I don't love this sport more each race I watch!

1. So when someone says a driver is in "dirty air", does that refer to being a certain distance behind the car ahead, putting the driver at some sort of an aerodynamic disadvantage prior to getting into a slipstream? The name itself leads me to believe it's not an ideal place to be in, but I can't tell from the commentary whether it truly is or not.

2. I guess I don't fully understand how being DRS-eligible works. I thought it is only considered if the car ahead is actually ahead of you in the race; however, it seemed as though there were a lot of drivers being allowed to use DRS by coming up behind a car they were lapping? Maybe I was just imagining that...

1. Its turbulent air, so the car loses downforces and so struggles around corners. In a straight line the car behind is faster because the car ahead is punching a hole in the air, but round corners cars need their downforce to work correctly which it can not do when there is not so normal air.

2. no you are right, you can get DRS even if you are 1 second behind a car you are about to lap.

1. Yes.
2. Any car.

1. I think that with dirty air, they are talking about the distorted air caused by the car driving in front off you. Downforce is created by the air flowing over the car, pushing it down on the road. When a car is in front of you, it will disturb the air in front of you, meaning the aerodynamics of the car won't function probably, thus you having less downforce and less grip.

2. Any car within 1 second in front of you during the race will give you the ability to use DRS.

Edit : I type way too slow on my phone.

Addnan

wtf exactly happened to Mercedes that Hamilton managed to get lapped. The only time a front runner gets lapped is when something breaks!

Kassu

Banned
20th! Thank god I predicted Alonso win. After qualifying I thought I made a mistake but apparently I finally had some luck. :D

pants

shit pants get it together

Did average this race, 47 points. Randomly got Di Resta, Rosberg and Button right and got 5 points for each of the guys on the podium.

That was my worst round, stupid mercedes I expected them to at least hold 5/6, fuck massa too

Addnan

according to Lewis, he "couldn't drive any slower"
Yeah, saw that, but Rosberg still managed to get into points (6th) not great, but he did avoid getting lapped by the leaders. Hamilton just completely dropped off. He finished behind Gutierrez, Ricciardo and both McLaren's.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I remember being surprised in the past when F1 cars lost a wheel they still managed to remain completely balanced & flat even driving round with 3 wheels.

Are the cars not as balanced as they used to be? or am I imagining things

Schumacher once drove back to the pits on Spa after Coulthard knocked it off. But that was his front tire. I think most of the weight is at the back, with the engine being there, so losing your back tire makes it more difficult.

Also, Alonso had a puncture and the whole picking up the flag thing was apparently discussed again.

Puncture and flag investigation no problem for Alonso

Fernando Alonso’s drive to victory in the Spanish Grand Prix was almost undone by a puncture during his fourth stint.

“We had to bring forward the final stop because of a slow puncture which meant the left rear tyre was losing pressure in the final part of the lap,”Alonso revealed after the race. “Fortunately, that had no effect on the final outcome.”

Despite his earlier than expected arrival Ferrari’s mechanics produced the fastest pit stop of the race for Alonso when he came in on the 49th lap.

Alonso was also investigated by the stewards for a potential rules infringement after the end of the race when he collected a Spanish flag.

This is forbidden by article 43.3 of the Sporting Regulations which says: “After receiving the end-of-race signal all cars must proceed on the circuit directly to the post race parc ferme without any unnecessary delay, without receiving any object whatsoever and without any assistance (except that of the marshals if necessary).”

However the stewards decided not to penalise Alonso, stating: “no further action was taken to be consistent with a previous decision made under similar circumstances.”

ramparter

Banned
At the start, I had to make up some places but after passing the halfway point on the straight, there was no more room to do so. So I switched off the KERS, so as to use it in Turn 3, where I realised, after watching the GP2 race, that it was possible to attack around the outside.
Respect the man.

jey_16

Banned
I get that the tyre situation seems bad but I think it would be unfair to change the tyres now, these are the same tyres that they used in testing and clearly some teams have figured them out compared to others, not sure why they should lose out just because RBR, Mercedes etc. are eating their tyres, instead of whining why don't they see how Lotus are so kind on the tyres

I get that the tyre situation seems bad but I think it would be unfair to change the tyres now, these are the same tyres that they used in testing and clearly some teams have figured them out compared to others, not sure why they should lose out just because RBR, Mercedes etc. are eating their tyres, instead of whining why don't they see how Lotus are so kind on the tyres

Because it produces dreadful races where tire preservation takes priority over all things.

Except that he gets a number of things wrong... especially that seemingly no-one else other than Ferrari thought to push on a four stop (what the hell did half of the field pit before / on the same lap as Alonso for then?).

That said, I welcome 4 and 5 stops. Mostly because it's going to force Pirelli to fix this farce sooner rather than later... and for what it's worth, I totally supported what they did last year, but they've taken it too far this time around. You might as well roll the dice to see which of the main teams is going to do well on the weekend because half of it comes down to track temperature.

Shaneus

Fucking awesome. 55 points on GPPredictor, up 16 places in the GAF league (now only 81st lolz).

Thinking back, it's disappointing Webber only came fifth but reading the RBR press release, they said he actually dropped back to 15th in the first lap before making it up to fifth, so he did REALLY fucking well to finish where he did. Love to see the start of that race again just to see what happened (maybe just got the door closed on him too many times)

jey_16

Banned
Yeah. I don't know why Lotus and Ferrari should be punished because they managed to build a car that is most suited to the rules of this season If you want change to the tires discussion can be held after the season. I don't support changes during the season.

Exactly, the team's had these tyres during testing. If anything, this supports the theory that there should be more testing (which they voted against apparently) and testing in warmer climates to better simulate conditions during the season.

It will piss me off we get some tyre changes and suddenly it's red bull domination again

Shaneus

Exactly, the team's had these tyres during testing. If anything, this supports the theory that there should be more testing (which they voted against apparently) and testing in warmer climates to better simulate conditions during the season.

It will piss me off we get some tyre changes and suddenly it's red bull domination again
As a RBR (well, Webber) fan, I fully support this. Lotus and Ferrari should be commended for designing cars that look after their tyres.

Top Bottom