• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

dubc35

McLarenF1 said:
There'll never be another James Hunt, as his irreverent T-shirt choice in this famous pic makes all too clear! #RIP pic.twitter.com/kECSqy1gmm
BMy8n3BCMAEimi8.jpg:large

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Mercedes to show evidence that FIA allowed tyre test:

Mercedes will turn the tables on the FIA at Thursday's hearing in Paris by producing written evidence that they had permission to test Pirelli's tyres.

Both Mercedes and the Italian tyre firm will be in the dock after the Formula One's governing body decided they had a case to answer following their three-day, 1,000km test in Barcelona after last month's Spanish Grand Prix. The test enraged the other teams, particularly Red Bull. Contrary to FIA regulations, Mercedes used their current 2013 car rather than one at least two years old, as favoured by Ferrari in another testing session. But Mercedes are ready to play their trump card, in the form of an FIA email – allegedly from their race director and safety delegate, Charlie Whiting – granting them permission to test.

The Guardian

That would give credence to the rumour that Charlie Whiting is being lined up for the sack (and ultimately, the role of the fall guy).

Can Charlie even give that permission though? I'm guessing it's not as simple as that.

navanman

That would give credence to the rumour that Charlie Whiting is being lined up for the sack (and ultimately, the role of the fall guy).

Can Charlie even give that permission though? I'm guessing it's not as simple as that.
Interesting, hadn't heard of the Whiting being shown the door before.
I can see both Whiting and Brawn being the falls guys here with both leaving their roles at the end of the year with a nice pay-off and this being quietly forgotten.

Goldrusher

Ferrari's very first F1 winner passed away this weekend.

Farewell Cabezon!

Maranello, 15 June – A great friend of Ferrari passed away today, José Froilan Gonzalez died at the age of ninety in his native Buenos Aires. His name will forever be linked to that of the Scuderia; indeed he was the one, who on 14 July at Silverstone, sixty two years ago, took the Prancing Horse’s first victory in a Grand Prix counting towards the Formula 1 World Championship.

“The news of the death of Gonzalez saddened me greatly,” President Luca di Montezemolo told ferrari.com from Maranello where he was attending a day for the families of all the employees of the company. “We had spoken not that long ago, talking about cars and racing, the topics he was most enthusiastic about. Over all these years, he was always very attached to Ferrari and, as a driver and a man, he played an integral part in our history. His death means we have lost a true friend.”

The last meeting between “El Cabezon” and the team with which he was linked above all others in his racing career, took place appositely enough on 10 July two years ago at Silverstone. On that day, Fernando Alonso actually drove the 375 F1 that Gonzalez took to victory in 1951 in the British Grand Prix, an exhibition that had previously taken place back in 2001, when the Argentine driver was there in person to share the pleasure of the moment with Michael Schumacher. A few hours after the more recent demonstration, as if scripted by fate, Fernando won the race, to give the Scuderia its only victory in 2011.

“I only realised what it meant to have won this race on the following Wednesday when I met Don Enzo at Maranello,” said Gonzalez in an interview he gave to our website on the sixtieth anniversary of the Silverstone win. “In his office there was a big photo of the victory right behind his desk! He asked me to sign it and to tell him every last detail about the race and then he gave me a gold watch with the Prancing Horse on the face. Only three days later did I really understand that it was a special win. Ferrari is the top in the world of motoring. For me, it has always been a cause of pride that I managed to take this first win, especially given what the marque went on to achieve in the past sixty years all over the world.”

http://formula1.ferrari.com/

Ferrari legend Gonzalez dies at 90

Tributes have been paid to racing driver Jose Froilan Gonzalez, the Argentine who delivered Ferrari's first Formula 1 win, who has died aged 90.

The 'Pampas Bull' won the 1951 British Grand Prix at Silverstone for Ferrari.
Gonzalez died on Saturday in a Buenos Aires hospital.

Scuderia president Luca di Montezemolo said: "As a driver and a man he played an integral part in our history. His death means we have lost a true friend."

Gonzalez scored Ferrari's first F1 victory just a year after making his championship debut with Maserati.

He beat compatriot and five-time world champion Juan Manuel Fangio for that historic first win.

His Formula 1 career spanned a decade and 26 grands prix.

He won one more race - also at Silverstone, in 1954 - finished second on seven occasions and was third six times in an era when driver fatalities were commonplace.

Gonzalez also won the Le Mans 24 Hours race for Ferrari with Frenchman Maurice Trintignant in 1954.

Di Montezemolo added: "The news of the death of Gonzalez saddened me greatly.

"We had spoken not that long ago, talking about cars and racing, the topics he was most enthusiastic about.

"Over all these years, he was always very attached to Ferrari."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22925726

_68201927_165690968.jpg

getty_gonzalezjosefroilan20020913.jpg

navanman

Murray Walker diagnosed with cancer.
He was diagnosed after blood tests from a fall he had at his home recently.

Zeknurn

Has anyone here been to the German GP at Nürnburgring? I might be heading down there and I'm wondering what are some good turns to be seated at and anything else worth knowing.

I'll be there this year at turn 1.

The best turns on the track for overtaking are turns 1 and 13. The problem with turn 13 is (for whatever reason), the stands there are far too far away from the actual corner. If you want to see the cars going fast, turn 12.

Shaneus

I do love the Lotus social network people.

http://i.imgur.com/JXTmQik.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Ahaha, I love 'em too.

[quote="navanman, post: 64276336"]Murray Walker diagnosed with cancer.
He was diagnosed after blood tests from a fall he had at his home recently.[/QUOTE]
Oh shit :( I hope it's something treatable, but at his age it might not be too good either way (especially if they're announcing it, rather than just treating it quietly).

:(

Zeknurn

I'll be there this year at turn 1.

The best turns on the track for overtaking are turns 1 and 13. The problem with turn 13 is (for whatever reason), the stands there are far too far away from the actual corner. If you want to see the cars going fast, turn 12.

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Addnan

Genii sold 35% stake to Infinity racing. Whoever they are. Not Infiniti the RBR guys.

Lotus owner Genii Capital has sold a 35 per cent stake in the team to new investor Infinity Racing.

After a long-running effort to find suitable partners, Genii boss Gerard Lopez has agreed that the Infinity Racing group - made up of private investors from America, Abu Dhabi and an unidentified oil producing nation – will take a minority shareholding.

Will they have some money to compete past the first few races now? :/

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108129

navanman

Genii sold 35% stake to Infinity racing. Whoever they are. Not Infiniti the RBR guys.

Will they have some money to compete past the first few races now? :/

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108129

Looks like it now. Looks like maybe Saudi or Qatar based investors bought into the team.
Although Lotus's announcement didn't specify the identity of the 'private investors' behind Infinity Racing, their press release stated that the constorium included an 'American hedge fund manager, an Abu Dhabi-based multinational business group and royal family interests of a major oil producing nation'

moojito

Aren't red bull changing their name to infiniti red bull next year? If lotus change their name to infiniti something as well and get into a big legal battle, my head will explode.

Addnan

Aren't red bull changing their name to infiniti red bull next year? If lotus change their name to infiniti something as well and get into a big legal battle, my head will explode.
This is infinity not Infiniti!

I doubt they will change their name to that. Would be stupid.

Top Bottom