• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Shaneus

Cheers for that, Acrid... great collection.

Also, this helmet is badarse:
DqGkBXsm.jpg

According to Auto Motor Sport Brawn didn't tell the bosses at Mercedes about the test, and they only found out about it while the cars were on track, lol

Lewis Hamilton fears for his legacy after wasting away best years at McLaren

An anxious Lewis Hamilton has admitted time is running out on his dream of becoming a multiple World Champion and intimated he left McLaren due to fears he was "wasting away the best years" of his career.

Poor guy, I hope Rosberg destroys him in the second half of the season - a full blown Hammy meltdown would please me greatly.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
FIA trial starts now.
Reports from Germany this morning saying that the FIA contacted Mercedes, through Lauda, with a deal.
They plead guilty, some sort of secret punishment and the trial cancelled today.

Supposedly Brawn and Toto Wolff rejected this saying they would rather it go to court and fight their corner.

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1 8m
#testgate wouldnt it be funny if the outcome's already decided and the press release slipped out early!

Addnan

Shit is hard to follow. Are Mercedes arguing they didn't break the rules because they were subcontracted by Pirelli.

So we didn't break rules because we were told to by Pirelli. That can't fly lol.

Hammer24

Banned
So we didn't break rules because we were told to by Pirelli. That can't fly lol.

No. The argument is, that it was not a "test drive" as defined in article 4.1, as those only goes for participators in the championship. Pirelli is not a competitor, so it was a "tyre test" as defined in article 4.2. Merc showed an email by Charlie Whiting, who concurred with that point of view.

navanman

Looks like its all down to technicalities for both sides which is the usual for F1.
FIA accusing Mercedes of breaking rule 115.c and Mercedes saying it was a Pirelli test so they can't be charged with doing any wrong.

Hammer24

Banned
FIA accusing Mercedes of breaking rule 115.c and Mercedes saying it was a Pirelli test so they can't be charged with doing any wrong.

...and Pirelli can´t be judged by this tribunal, as they are no competitors in the championship.
Now isn´t that a beauty?

Zeknurn

Looks like its all down to technicalities for both sides which is the usual for F1.

...and Pirelli can´t be judged by this tribunal, as they are no competitors in the championship.
Now isn´t that a beauty?

*Insert picture of Lauda, Brawn and Wolfe laughing*

Nicktendo86

Sad that this trial is the most interesting thing to happen in F1 for ages.

That Scarbs press release tweet, was he joking or does he know something? This feels like a stitch up to me.

No. The argument is, that it was not a "test drive" as defined in article 4.1, as those only goes for participators in the championship. Pirelli is not a competitor, so it was a "tyre test" as defined in article 4.2. Merc showed an email by Charlie Whiting, who concurred with that point of view.

Now isn´t that a beauty?

That's the intrepretation of Mercedes, it's just the question if the FIA believes that Pirelli was leading the Barcelona tests.

Nicktendo86

The argument that if the Ferrari test was legal, so was the Merc one is intereasting as Ferrari gained data according to Ross and used the test to test parts! This is clearly an FIA stitch up IMHO

Hammer24

Banned
If everything is so obvious, they wouldn't make such a drama about it.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108152

All I´m hearing from the FIA lawyer is:
a) Merc had an unfair advantage, because they learned that they have parts on their car that hold up for 1000km (and FER didn´t?!)
b) Charlie Whiting was not able to give the permission in FIA´s name, as he is only allowed to give an opinion (which is utterly ridiculous IMHO)

The Ferrari argument is silly. All the FIA has to say is "on consideration, you're right, we'll schedule a hearing for them too". Now on with the trial...

Nicktendo86

Sky Sports
We heard this morning from the FIA about details of exchanges between the Mercedes and the FIA as Mercedes sought to clarify the position about whether a 2013 car could be used. Paul Harris in his submissions this afternoon explained exactly what email traffic had gone on between Mercedes and the FIA, and perhaps while conceding that Charlie Whiting wasn't in a position himself to authorise the test, he does say he was in a position to be led to believe by him there was this potential to run the 2013 car.

"Basically Mercedes made the request to run the 2013 car to the FIA, Charlie Whiting then had an exchange with the in-house legal team at the FIA and it's fascinating to hear the email reponse that came back from Sebastian Barnard, who's the FIA's legal advisor. It goes along the lines of 'in my view any such testing could not actually be undertaken by competitors, it would be argued that this was done by Pirelli. Would we be able to take this position?'

"The response from Sebastian Barnard was 'yes we could take this position, it is not an undertaking from the competitor'. So on the face of it if that's some advice that's been given out there it does seem to suggest that there was this potential loophole that it could be a Pirelli test governed by their commercial contract with F1 and it wouldn't involve the competitor Mercedes and they wouldn't be in breach of the regulations

The FIA position is looking a little iffy to me. Well, very iffy.

Hammer24

Banned
More fun:
Pirelli lawyer says: "our contract with FIA reads we "should" invite, not we "have to" invite other teams."

Doesn´t FIA know their own contracts?

mclem

In the event that this does go Merc/Pirelli's way, what's the best way forward from the POV of fairness to the teams? Allow everyone a similar test day?

navanman

More details coming out and Pirelli are looking like the fall guys/bad guys here:

Massa did a "secret" test for Pirelli last year in the Ferrari. First anyone had heard of it was this afternoon.

To be honest I can't see how Mercedes can be punished here. The only reason this has blown up is because someone made it public knowledge.
Ferrari have had 2 Pirelli test in the last year with no punishment and were cleared of all possible charges.

More details coming out and Pirelli are looking like the fall guys/bad guys here:

Massa did a "secret" test for Pirelli last year in the Ferrari. First anyone had heard of it was this afternoon.

To be honest I can't see how Mercedes can be punished here. The only reason this has blown up is because someone made it public knowledge.
Ferrari have had 2 Pirelli test in the last year with no punishment and were cleared of all possible charges.

But wasn't that with the "old" Ferrari whereas this time the current car was used in a test?

Unlike the Mercedes test in Barcelona. The Ferrari tests were legal.

Or do you think Red Bull and the other teams would accept cheating Ferrari but not Mercedes?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm just wondering how they're going to handle giving them all a test day now.

The bickering will continue because some will have gotten a test early and some later, so the early ones had more time to use the newly gained info...

In the end its FIA's fault I feel, and instead they will try to deflect.

It was on this year's test in Bahrain but if they used 2011 car on that secret 2012 test....

I can't believe they would have used the 2011 car last year, what would be the point? They'd either conduct the test legally with the 2010 car or 'cheat' with the 2012 one. No point half-arsing it you've already decided to break the rules.

Pirelli already offered exactly this on 2nd June to every team in writing. No one has answered them.

I expect they're all waiting for the verdict before they respond. If they agreed before the verdict is in, it could be viewed as condoning Mercedes' actions.

Hammer24

Banned

Uhmm, no. This test was THIS year, two weeks prior the Spain GP, on the very same track. I wonder why FER looked so strong in that race??

I'm just wondering how they're going to handle giving them all a test day now.

I expect they're all waiting for the verdict before they respond. If they agreed before the verdict is in, it could be viewed as condoning Mercedes' actions.

Pirelli offered the test to the very same specifications like Merc had. I honestly don´t expect a single team to take them up on that offer, as a test like that is of no real value and doesn´t really help the teams. They get better data just analyzing their races.

On another note - I wonder how Charlie feels right now - having officially heard that he can only give "opinions".

navanman

I´m still not sure that this is right. Mercs lawyer spoke of FER tests in 2011 and 2013, and said that FER used MAS in this years test. I have no idea where this is coming from.
This is direct from the hearing yesterday:
Mercedes also revealed that Ferrari had another testing opportunity in 2012 with Pirelli, when Felipe Massa was used in its pre-Spanish Grand Prix test and that the team conducted more than 1000 kilometres.

Decision is due to be announced in a hours time according to several sources.

Dead Man

Result: Mercedes is reprimanded and suspended from the Young Driver Test. Pirelli reprimanded
https://twitter.com/adamcooperf1

Well nobody will be happy with that! :) Everyone will think they should have a real punishment or none.

Sounds... okay. I think I would prefer if they went with a bigger engine but a RPM limit or something.

Top Bottom