• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

James Allison to design Honda test car?

Amid reports he could re-emerge at Ferrari or Red Bull, it appears former Lotus technical director James Allison is actually Honda-bound.

Allison is currently on 'gardening leave', after stepping down from his duties but remaining under contract to Lotus.

In the Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat, correspondent Luis Vasconcelos claims his next destination is the Japanese marque Honda, who are returning to F1 in 2015 for a works engine collaboration with the great British team McLaren.

The move would appear to make sense, as Honda moves to quickly get up to speed with new rules after a five-year absence from F1.

Vasconcelos said Briton Allison will apparently start his new job in 2014, long before Honda is bound by F1's regulations governing its 2015 foray.

That will mean the Japanese marque is free to run and develop its 1.6 litre V6 design throughout 2014 with a test car, and Turun Sanomat said these tests are likely to take place at the Japanese circuits Suzuka and Motegi.

Vasconcelos said: "According to our sources, Allison has accepted the offer and will lead a small group to produce a car for the testing of Honda's turbo engine."

Novak

can Honda test with any F1 car? For example McLaren sells/gives them 2013 or 2014 chasis.
Or it must be older one?

Is Honda under any rules from FIA until they officially enter F1 in 2015?

edit: I guess FIA rules prevent McLaren from giving their car to anyone else. Otherwise every team would have some 3rd party testing :)

Well, Alonso said last year that he had offer from RedBull.

He had his chance to drive a Newey car - although driving a Newey car wasn't a big thing in 2009.

Hammer24

Banned
Small update to the VET contract: it wasn´t really/fully voluntary on his part. RBR pulled an old option clause in his contract that they could prolong the contract by one year. I guess, the FER talks had heated up, so they were forced to react.

Now for the crazy stats:
- MCL ends their record setting streak of 64 consecutive races in the points after an P11/P12 finish in Canada
- its been even longer that MCL started and finished outside the top 10, last time was Turkey 2009
- now the longest streak is held by FER at 55, they have to keep this up to India to get MCL´s record
- as expected RAI got MSC´s record of 24 consecutive finishes with points
- but: RAI´s series was done when 10 drivers get points, MSC´s was done when six and later eight drivers got points
- four of RAI´s finishes in the points were on P9 or P10; of MSC 24 only 3 were not on the podium
- VET third consecutive pole in Canada
- first win in Canada for RBR in eight tries, first win for VET there in five tries
- RBR has now won on all current tracks but Hockenheim (not driven this year) and Austin
- VET has now won on 18 different tracks. He´s missing Austin, Hockenheim, Nürburgring, Hungaroring. Oh, and he has yet to win in the month of July.
- MAS has not made the Podium in Canada in ten tries. His best was a P4 in a SAU in 2005.
- only five pilots weren´t lapped in Canada. The last time that happened was Brazil 2011.
- VET is this years only pilot to drive all 441 laps of the first 7 races.
- HAM P3 was the first time he didn´t win Canada when he saw the chequered flag. (3 win, 2 DNF)
- before last Sunday he had even been unbeaten in North America, when he made it to the finish (Austin 2012, Indy 2007)
- HAM and ROS had never lost a qualy duel in Canada before, so something had to give this year
- this year no car with an even number has won a race
- VER P6 was a career best
- this is also a best for TOR since VET P4 in Brazil 2008
- BOT got his podium qualy on his fathers 51st birthday, but finished P14. So even in the 7th race no rookie was able to get points.
- 60% of all leading laps this season were driven by Germans (VET 153, ROS 92, SUT 11, HUL 9)
- FOI did their 100th race in Canada - getting both drivers in the points
- first time since Italy 2011 no SAU made it to the finish
- BUT now 3rd alltime in F1 laps driven (MSC 16825, BAR 16631, BUT 12445, COU)
- second time the three world champions VET, ALO, HAM were together on the podium, first was USA 2012
- PER 11th P11 finish in 44 races. He has never yet finished on P12, despite qualifying on P12 nine times.
- ALO points roller coaster this season: 18-0-25-4-25-6-18
- WEB finishes this season: P2, P3, P4, P5, P6, P7 and a DNF instead of a win

untitled-2qfmav.gif

Jersey, yessss. Having a contract is big. I can't imagine funding/planning one of these things with no guarantee whatsoever of it even happening. To Bernie's credit, he is always good on his word, but still having a contract is very important.

Sounds like it will be the weekend after Montreal. My heart screams do the double, my wallet is screaming something else though.

Hammer24

Banned
Radio Pitlane:
- for many drivers the Rolling Stones concert was the highlight of their Canada trip, HUL, VET, SUT, MAS as well as Johnny Herbert and Damon Hill have been there
- new rumor regarding the Merc/Pir tests: its said Todt wants to fire Whiting, and give his job to former TOR technical boss Giorgio Ascanelli (more fuel for the Merc-did-nothing-wrong-but-someone-has-to-take-the-blame camp?)
- Lauda has a bet with Dr. Marko of 50 USD that Merc will walk free
- next years Renault engine will not only have Infinity in its name, but also real Infinity parts (some parts for the hybrid)
- if HAM had known, he could have cheated in the Canada GP - FIA lost the DRS status signal from his car for a while on Sunday (their own fault, after a system check/reset it came back)
- RAI doesn´t care for his 24 races-in-points record, "I only care for as many points as possible in one race"
- some rumors about the WIL-Merc engine deal: its said, that WIL has been in talks with Renault beforehand, as Renault needs a new figurehead team when RBR drives under the Infinity brand next year. WIL was interested, but wanted Renault to pay for part of their budget. RBR vetoed the deal, as they want Renault to put all financial resources into the new engine, as they fear Merc to have a power bonus.
- MAL´s girlfriend Gaby is pregnant, the baby is expected in September
- BOT had promised to jump into the boat basin, if he´d get points (but stayed dry)
- FIA director of communications Norman Howell leaves for the UFC. Its said, that the UFC would be less brutal than F1...
- his successor will be Pierre Regent, last working for former President Sarkozy
- WEB´s preparation for the Canada GP? Driving a mountain bike with Eric Guay around Mount Rigaud.
- when GRO qualified on P19 and had to take his 10 place penalty, he got laughed at in the pits "You´ll have to start in Toronto!"

Sorry if this has been touched on already, but why wasn't Alonso penalized for passing while in a yellow caution zone during the Canadian gran prix?

Also finally watched the Senna movie, what a great film and a great guy. The way he was treated during the Japanese gran prix would have made me want to quit the sport on the spot.

Hammer24

Banned
Just a small clarification regarding the tyres:
It is exactly like I reported last week. No new Kevlar-ringed tyres due to LOT veto, but Pirelli changes them anyway adding more glue in the lamination process. And, to get a little out of the line of fire, they will bring harder compounds to the rest of the 2013 races than initially planned.

Formula One United States Grand Prix | Jersey Shore

lol, good news though. I hope the circuit provides good racing.

I've been around the purposed track, it's going to be a high speed Monaco more or less, far less narrow in more places than not, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, guess we'll find out next year

Addnan

I want to see just one race this season where Lotus just go out and race. This attempt by them to do one less stop every race hasn't worked, only the first race it worked. The others, well not so well.

Hammer24

Banned
I want to see just one race this season where Lotus just go out and race. This attempt by them to do one less stop every race hasn't worked, only the first race it worked. The others, well not so well.

With harder tyres being used for the rest of the year, and teams understanding them better and better; I expect LOT to fall even farther behind. In the end they are a small team, with their top driver eating most of their budget. I wouldn´t be surprised to see them fall behind TOR over the season.

Just a small clarification regarding the tyres:
It is exactly like I reported last week. No new Kevlar-ringed tyres due to LOT veto, but Pirelli changes them anyway adding more glue in the lamination process. And, to get a little out of the line of fire, they will bring harder compounds to the rest of the 2013 races than initially planned.

Sounds pretty much like last season.

Omiee

Im ready for vettel to own the british race.

Really seems like they got their tire problems out of the way(please god).

Cant see lotus improving much in these 3 weeks. Ferrari and mercedes might bring some good upgrades to england.

Really wish Vettel could overtake alonso in the wins department.

What was this doing on the second page btw =( 2 more weeks =(

What's the rush on the wins? Alonso was around for five years before Vettel showed up.

Oh, and I think Mercedes will be in with a good shot of the win at Silverstone, further muddying the tyre test waters. :) Either way, I doubt very much that Vettel will "own" it.

I'd like to see him get pole #40 at Silverstone.

I love looking at Vettel's numbers in relation to his age. Both Senna and Schumacher had 3 poles a piece at this point of season when they were 25 (slightly skewed because Vettel will turn 26 soon). Times have certainly changed since those guys started, but still, that stat is just eye popping.

Im ready for vettel to own the british race.

Really seems like they got their tire problems out of the way(please god).

Cant see lotus improving much in these 3 weeks. Ferrari and mercedes might bring some good upgrades to england.

Really wish Vettel could overtake alonso in the wins department.

What was this doing on the second page btw =( 2 more weeks =(

It's all about the weather. If Europe will have a hot summer I can see that Alonso and Räikkönen can close the gap to Vettel - although Pirelli will choice harder tires now for the races.

apotema

I'd like to see him get pole #40 at Silverstone.

I love looking at Vettel's numbers in relation to his age. Both Senna and Schumacher had 3 poles a piece at this point of season when they were 25 (slightly skewed because Vettel will turn 26 soon). Times have certainly changed since those guys started, but still, that stat is just eye popping.

That's exactly my stance, IMO Vettel is not racing against Alonso and Kimi, he is racing against time, numbers, Schumacher, Senna, Prost and Fangio

Omiee

What's the rush on the wins? Alonso was around for five years before Vettel showed up.

Oh, and I think Mercedes will be in with a good shot of the win at Silverstone, further muddying the tyre test waters. :) Either way, I doubt very much that Vettel will "own" it.

I like records to be broken.

Seriously the comments on some vettel video's are hilarious. All about the car my ass, some people want vettel to win an hrt or a torro rosso or something.

o wait..

Cool conditions in silverstone will make sure mercedes and rbr will be racing for the win, but alonso will be near the top as always.

no one can beat fangio, that guy is a legend.

The age he won GP's in and the % of wins compared to starts will never be beaten everrrrr

Omiee

Yeah, the percentage records will never fall. They're just mindblowing.

i have so much respect for fagio, read a lot of things about the guy.

there will never be a 50+ driver in f1.

i was to young to have seen senna and the early guys, i grew up on hakinnen and shumi and frenze and villeneuve and alonso and vettel.

im so glad to have witnessed 6 amazing drivers: Vettel, Shumi, Mika, Kimi, Alonso, Lewis.

Dead Man

i have so much respect for fagio, read a lot of things about the guy.

there will never be a 50+ driver in f1.

i was to young to have seen senna and the early guys, i grew up on hakinnen and shumi and frenze and villeneuve and alonso and vettel.

im so glad to have witnessed 6 amazing drivers: Vettel, Shumi, Mika, Kimi, Alonso, Lewis.

I know it's a typo, but Fagio, LOL.

Top Bottom