• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

DBT85

If they change it to a normal test, would Mercedes still be denied from attending though?

I wondered that. Were they banned from that test specifically or the young driver test.

Can't imaging it going down well if they were allowed to test. Again. There isn't enough salt.

dalin80

Banned
As one of the teams to suffer from a failure they should be present at the test but I would limit them to a lower km total and less sets of tyres then the others.

AcridMeat

Banned
Some headlines from Autosport:

- Charlie nearly stopped the race

- Teams (read: RBR and Ferrari) are pushing to change young driver test into ordinary tyre test. Mclaren thinks that is too late for that kind of test, because they now have full range of data
That data being, "we fucked up."

Zeppu

So, who had Webber for a podium or fastest lap?

or?

r7yLjrl.png

Hammer24

Banned
Couple small things:
- ROS got protested by RBR (surprise!) for allegedly ignoring yellow between turn 4 and 5 under yellow. He had a purple time in this sector. He had to show his telemetry data, which showed he slowed enough - thanks to the new tyres he was still able to best the sector.
- First GP won by four different Germans: Graf Berghe von Trips (Aintree), MSC, VET and ROS (Silverstone).
- Looks like the cuts in the tyres came from the newly installed drainage system, especially a gully in turn 4. Everything else you hear now is politics, teams trying to force more testing days.
- LOT car is illegal. The have four instead of three suspension points on the front axle. For some reason this hadn´t been seen by FIA technical team, as this was behind the break drums. A MCL photographer saw this, and MCL protested. LOT has to change this before the German GP.
- SAU almost done financially. They talk to Gazprom and Sberbank to become new sponsors, otherwise they could be out of business by next year. Allegedly this year is safe - to race. But development has all but stopped (they even rent out their wind tunnel to Audi to make money), and they don´t pay HUL anymore. Which means his option for next year is void, and he could go to a new team.

Lach

Sucks to hear about Sauber...even though they've been a huge let down this season I didn't think the situation is this dire.... It's their 21th year in F1 for god's sake...would be such a shame to lose them.

Why is it so hard to find sponsor's?

Hammer24

Banned
old news

We know it for months. But Hammer 24 will explain it why it's just whining from Red Bull in the next days..

What do you expect me to say?
- we could already have new tyres with stronger, Kevlar reinforced sidewalls, if LOT hadn´t vetoed them
- several teams drove with very low tyre pressure to make them last longer, which increased the vulnerability to the cuts from the gully
- if you watched TV closely, you saw the photo with the cuts that Newey studied, and heard RBR radio VET telling him they increased the pressure

DBT85

Couple small things:
- ROS got protested by RBR (surprise!) for allegedly ignoring yellow between turn 4 and 5 under yellow. He had a purple time in this sector. He had to show his telemetry data, which showed he slowed enough - thanks to the new tyres he was still able to best the sector.

Suck it haters.

Oh by the way. Are Ferrari immune to penalties for unsafe pit release?

I've not seen the replays, but was the release unsafe, or was Alonso just slow out of the box?

Addnan

Is the Sauber news really true? There would be a real shortage of teams if they leave. Would be pretty sad to see them go.

Alonso got so damn close.

alonso5dsix.gif

Hammer24

Banned
Sucks to hear about Sauber...even though they've been a huge let down this season I didn't think the situation is this dire.... It's their 21th year in F1 for god's sake...would be such a shame to lose them.

Why is it so hard to find sponsor's?

You can still find sponsors - but F1 in itself is just getting too expensive. Lets hope, that the new rules from next year on really help in this regard.

It was at least close. I just wonder, why I didn´t hear of an investigation by the stuarts.

TCRS

Banned
Not Sauber man :/ Always a great and sympathetic team. Sauber brought Kimi Raikkonen from Formula Renault straight to Formula 1, he recognised that talent. At that point Raikkonen had completed only 23 races in a Formula car.

Hammer24

Banned
Oh, one more small thing:
When WEB got asked why he quit, he said something to the tune, that he´d wanted to quit while at the top, and didn´t want to fight for places 7 to 9.
So that means either:
- RBR wouldn´t have given him a contract, so he´d had to settle with a lesser team
or
- he´s not confident in RBR´s next years performance

When WEB got asked why he quit, he said something to the tune, that he´d wanted to quit while at the top, and didn´t want to fight for places 7 to 9.
So that means either:
- RBR wouldn´t have given him a contract, so he´d had to settle with a lesser team
or

Probably the former, after everything what went down the road I doubt there would be a scenario for both Webber and Vettel in the same team. Webber is a brilliant driver but without a top team it is hard to compete for the pole position. At least this is my impression and some discussion in Austrian TV (Alex Wurz is commentator here). However with new engines I guess next season will be more interesting especially which team did their homework well and which team slacked - this could at least in the first couple of races be a important factor. After that I fear every "cool new thing" will be either allowed for everybody or forbidden...

ramparter

Banned
So that means either:
or
Or that he doesn't have confidence in his passion to win any more. He lacks motivation for me but don't get me wrong, I don't put the blame on hime. Clearly his teams supports Sebastian and doesn't care about him for the last 3 years. Nothing more needs to be said after the last race of 2010.

Shaneus

So that means either:
or
I thought from the sound of it that RBR (Horner specifically) were upset that he gave them such short notice. I assume that was in terms of the season but maybe it was relative to Silverstone. But the former was what I gathered.

Maybe Newey is on his way out, hence the possible expectation they might not have a race-winning car? What's his relationship with Webber like compared to Vettel?
Or maybe he knows something about the other teams indicating they'll have next year on lock. Hmm.

Adamm

I was surprised it wasn't investigated.

But Alonso slowed down and nearly stopped to let the lotus(?) in to their box. So Ferrari lost out by the unsafe release and it wasn't that close to an accident so maybe that's why?

Or that he doesn't have confidence in his passion to win any more. He lacks motivation for me but don't get me wrong, I don't put the blame on hime. Clearly his teams supports Sebastian and doesn't care about him for the last 3 years. Nothing more needs to be said after the last race of 2010.

And why did he extend his contract with Red Bull twice since 2010?

The drama is more about that all people know that Red Bull need a new driver now. Not the best position if you talk with other drivers. Normally you would announce it at the end of the season and all are happy.

kharma45

(Silverstone).
- Looks like the cuts in the tyres came from the newly installed drainage system, especially a gully in turn 4. Everything else you hear now is politics, teams trying to force more testing days.

b-b-buttt Pirelli tyres are dangerous hurr durr.

surprise surprise it wasn't them in the end, i did say yesterday about people jumping to conclusions and just looking to rag on Pirelli.

Addnan

Surely the tyres played a role, otherwise it would have happened in the lower formulas..

and if it was just the corner to blame why would Lotus, FI and Ferrari greenlight changes.

Hammer24

Banned
Maybe Newey is on his way out, hence the possible expectation they might not have a race-winning car? What's his relationship with Webber like compared to Vettel?

Adrian loves cars, not people :p
It is said, that AN is getting a little lackluster, as from next year on the engines will be more important than the car design, so his importance would diminish. If that's true, I cannot say.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I never denied that. I just pointed out, that they are exactly what the FIA ordered, and several teams vetoed to change. So my take is that the finger pointing towards Pirelli is wrong.

I have to agree with the above. Its the FIA, F1 teams fault as much as Pirelli.
FIA for mandating tyres with short life span and also sticking with 13" rims.
F1 teams for vetoing the change in tyre construction at Canada and also the leading F1 teams for running rear tyres out of spec on orientation & tyre pressure.

If you watched the F1 aftershow on Sky, Davidson had some great close-ups of the flexing of the sidewalls on the Red Bull & Mercedes.
That much sidewall flex due to lower tyre pressure and current construction lead to what we had yesterday with tyres exploding due to damage from kerbs

I never denied that. I just pointed out, that they are exactly what the FIA ordered, and several teams vetoed to change. So my take is that the finger pointing towards Pirelli is wrong.

If the gully wasn't sharp like a razor blade, there is no excuse why modern F1 tires can't handle it.

And pretty sure highly vulnerable tires weren't part of the deal with the FIA.

Hammer24

Banned
If the gully wasn't sharp like a razor blade, there is no excuse why modern F1 tires can't handle it.

And pretty sure highly vulnerable tires weren't part of the deal with the FIA.

Its exactly like navanman explained: tyres designed for a short(er) lifespan, run by the teams outside the specifications.
Ask the teams why they didn´t make a stink when mostly LOT and to a lesser degree FOI vetoed changes.

Nicktendo86

b-b-buttt Pirelli tyres are dangerous hurr durr.

surprise surprise it wasn't them in the end, i did say yesterday about people jumping to conclusions and just looking to rag on Pirelli.

lol, read the autosport analysis. It was a combination of factors, yes the kerbs but also the steel belts in this year's tyres instead of Kevlar and the softer compounds. Others said here yesterday that older F1 tyres wouldn't have had a problem with the kerbs and that is true. Not sure why you are so defensive of Pirelli, it is pretty obvious that they have made shit tyres that are unable to hold up to much.

Edit - the teams are also to blame for runnign the tyres at too low pressure for extra performance.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108479

Hammer24

Banned
Hi guys,

I'm working on some research and I would like to know if there are any reliable data on how much each team is making from sponsorship deals..

Would really appreciate it

Sorry, this wont be possible.
The last reliable data I remember is more than fifteen years old, when teams basically put out standardized price lists, where you could choose by size, spot and placement.
But then it became usual to do individual deals, which neither side is too willing to disclose. Even the estimates sometimes written in the media for the larger deals could be way off.

Sorry, this wont be possible.
The last reliable data I remember is more than fifteen years old, when teams basically put out standardized price lists, where you could choose by size, spot and placement.
But then it became usual to do individual deals, which neither side is too willing to disclose. Even the estimates sometimes written in the media for the larger deals could be way off.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post..

I thought so also..

Hammer24

Banned
So, will we see another tyre test?

This will be decided on Wednesday.
Update on the tyres:
Adrian Newey thinks with Pirellis new tyres (as tested in Montreal) the problems wouldn´t have happened. He hopes the FIA will force LOT and FOI to retract their veto on the Kevlar versions. Said the problems were less when they raised the pressure by 2 psi.
Its notable that neither LOT nor FOI, which are famous for going light on their tyres, had any troubles yesterday. Alan Permane said they hadn´t had a single cut. Otmar Szafnauer said they hadn´t had any problems, he thinks its because they followed Pirellis specifications to the letter.

Pirelli were running kevlar tyres yesterday?

BOFuH_KCQAEjHyO.jpg

Explains the explosions, no steel belt, they might as well throw the rule book in the bin and have a free-for-all.

Joke sport.

Hammer24

Banned

BOFuH_KCQAEjHyO.jpg

Explains the blowouts, no steel belt, they might as well throw the rule book in the bin and have a free-for-all.

Wait - what?? That´d be big! Where did you get this info? Even ALO said he got hit by metal parts from the tyres, so not everyone had them??

DBT85

BOFuH_KCQAEjHyO.jpg

Explains the explosions, no steel belt, they might as well throw the rule book in the bin and have a free-for-all.

Joke sport.

IIRC the tyres did have metal in them, and the tread did seem to come apart from the tyre entirely in one lump.

The issue recently was that they were going to introduce (reintroduce?) kevlar sidewalls but it was veto'd.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So, Mercedes would skip that proposed tyre test, because they already tested "new" tyres and even get a penalty for doing it? Of course, I am talking for the test and not YDT...

Top Bottom