• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

cmr-94

So, Mercedes would skip that proposed tyre test, because they already tested "new" tyres and even get a penalty for doing it? Of course, I am talking for the test and not YDT...

The test was for the "benefit of Pirelli", not for merc themselves. They couldn't learn anything because they didn't know what they were testing. At least that's their argument. Therefore, why wouldn't they go?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
The test was for the "benefit of Pirelli", not for merc themselves. They couldn't learn anything because they didn't know what they were testing. At least that's their argument. Therefore, why wouldn't they go?

RBR and Ferrari would go ballistic probably...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ok, so it looks like FIA controlled Pirelli tyre test with this year's cars and drivers. Cars will be checked before and during the test, so the teams will not be able to test new parts during this.

RBR and Ferrari guys are already disguising new parts into pit furniture...

Adamm

So wait, no new parts allowed at the test at all? Or only when they're testing Pirelli tyres?

If it's the former then it looks like Merc really did luck out. lol

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So wait, no new parts allowed at the test at all? Or only when they're testing Pirelli tyres?

Seems like only tyre test for Pirelli (drivers are driving their car, but Pirelli is gathering info), under FIA control. You can still test current stuff on your car, but bolting new floor during the test? Nope, unless young driver is driving. So, RBR car #1 with Webber can only test new tyres, RBR #2 with young driver is testing new parts. But team cannot bolt new parts to #1 car.
Mercedes probably gambled hard on their 'private test' with combination of both...

EDIT: Beaten

Also
The test, scheduled for July 17-19 at Silverstone, will now allow teams to field drivers who have competed in more than two F1 World Championship events provided it is clear that the purpose of them doing this is to test tyres for Pirelli. The test may also be extended by one day.

Hammer24

Banned
Sauber and McLaren say kevlar and steel...
according to Marca

I tried every available source, no one even heard about something like this. So right now, thats a fairy tale as far as I am concerned. That pic proves nothing, btw, as there never has been a full metal carcass in the sidewalls.

Pirelli need to disappear.

Oh, OK. And to be replaced by whom, exactly? After how this season played out, every other manufacturer will stay the fuck as far away as anyhow possible.

Zeppu

I don't understand this bashing of Pirelli at this point. Yes they fucked up. They were told to make a tyre which degrades quickly and they delivered one which does so at a faster rate than many teams expected. Teams fuck shit up all the time. Bad wings, engine problems, alternator failures, expanding wheel nuts, insufficient fuel, etc. It happens pretty much to one team or another every single race weekend at some point.

The difference is that the teams can usually fix it within a few races, and are allowed to do so. What exactly are Pirelli supposed to do?

Less degrading compound? Teams complained.
Last year's compounds? Teams complained.
Reinforced sidewalls? No.
Testing with safer compounds? Reprimand.

I'm not saying their terrible tyres are excusable but they've been put in a position where they cannot do anything because one team or another is going to cry foul.

Septimius

It's an absolute joke, first they let Mercedes off the hook for breaking the sporting regs and now they're free to speed under yellows.

"found no evidence of a significant reduction in speed from Nico Rosberg under yellow flags"

The stewards must've been guaranteed a brand new Mercedes SLS free of charge.

Pirelli were running kevlar tyres yesterday?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/GACat/BOFuH_KCQAEjHyO.jpg[img]

Explains the explosions, no steel belt, they might as well throw the rule book in the bin and have a free-for-all.

Joke sport.[/QUOTE]

Dude.. I see you make your angry posts. But you're taking it too far, now. You're stepping over some line and it's detrimental to this thread.

Shaneus

Massa had some magic boost button right. This is ridiculous.

ibfkQPkDub42Zl.gif
So did Webber. It's called "brakes".

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Perfect driver for RBR though. Not good enough to challenge Vettel for title in same car but can score enough points to win WCC for the team.

Perez has shown more fight than Button so far this year and that scares him.

Shaneus

You think Button's good enough to get Constructors points? I know the McL this year is bad, but I don't think it's as bad as their drivers are showing. Maybe it is, I dunno.

Chris R

You think Button's good enough to get Constructors points? I know the McL this year is bad, but I don't think it's as bad as their drivers are showing. Maybe it is, I dunno.

It is that bad, but who knows. Maybe they Brawn it up next year with a kick ass car that is untouchable for the first half of the season.

Sloane

Banned
Why wouldn't Button be good enough? It's not like he didn't get any points with McLaren over the last three years. I'd think he's at least on par with Webber -- and he knows how to start!

Would be much more interesting though if Kimi somehow ended up with RBR.

I really dont see RBR buying Batton out of his Mclaren contract with they have a big pool of drivers and a top class driver being a free agent at the end of the year.

Addnan

If RBR can make an amazing car as usual I think Button would perform on Webber post 2010 level. Consistent, helps team get the points for constructors. I don't think he will be pushing for the title especially with Vettel there.

Addnan

Hamilton with 5 more DNFs though, and how many of those were when he was in podium position?

Yeah, Hamilton had incredible bad luck. 2 races alone last season he was in what I guess could be certain wins and the car broke. Singapore and Abu Dhabi.

Plus all those pit stop issues in the other races

and that was just last season

John_B

Hamilton dominated Button on pace. The hare and tortoise analogy seems pretty accurate for their time as team mates. The only time I felt Button outshined Hamilton was in the later part of the 2011 season with some really exceptionel driving.

We need Raikkonen in that Red Bull seat.

Hammer24

Banned
I´m really surprised the FIA acted so quickly on the tyre test. Looks like Jean Todt found his balls. :p
In one swoop he wants the FIA world council in an emergency meeting to change Paragraph 22.4 (testing in season) and 12.6.3 of the technical rules (unanimity on tyre changes).
Interestingly, the FIA invitation to the teams for the test does not explicitly state that the seasoned drivers could only test new tyres. I´m curious to see, if some team tries to put new parts on...

DBT85

Regardless of the points totals over the three years, I do not believe Button can be placed in the same tier of drivers as Hamilton, Alonso, Raikonnen and Vettel.

Hamilton dominated Button on pace. The hare and tortoise analogy seems pretty accurate for their time as team mates. The only time I felt Button outshined Hamilton was in the later part of the 2011 season with some really exceptionel driving.

Considering how many points Hamilton lost because Mclaren couldn't do pitstops at the start of last year, even ignoring his entire season of being an emotional wreck, he would have scored more than Button. He didn't, and that's what the records will show until the end of time. Fortunately people don't only look at the stats.

Juicy Bob

Hamilton performed better than Button overall in 2010.

Button performed better than Hamilton overall in 2011.

Hamilton performed better than Button overall in 2012.

navanman

That would also mean last years compounds as well though.
Its looks like the tyres at the German GP will be the kevlar ones used at practice in Canada and Silverstone.
A new spec tyre will be introduced after the tyre test in Silverstone according to Autosport.
The test will also be attended by FIA inspectors to ensure the teams are using development parts on cars driven by regular race drivers.

These observers will check the running programmes of every team to ensure any car development work is only done by the 'young' drivers who will still be present at the test.

Pirelli has still yet to announce the result of its investigation of what went wrong at Silverstone to cause the series of failures.

The company is expected to announce later on Tuesday that it will bring the Kevlar-belted tyres that were trialled at the Canadian Grand Prix to Germany this weekend.

A bigger change of specification will then come in time for the Hungarian GP, with teams able to test these tyres at Silverstone.

Autosport

navanman

Some interesting news from Ferrari too on their concerns (complaints) about the new fuel regulation for 2014 engines; 100kg, for the race.
They fear that cars will be forced to drive slowly at points to save fuel which they don't want or agree with. Maybe their engine is slightly more thirsty than they had hoped.

Some great comments on the article though on design directions for next year, could be really interesting year.

I think the crucial question is how far designers will go in reducing the amount of drag their cars create so they aren't being penalised on fuel use.

There is obviously a temptation for designers to pile on as much downforce as possible (increasing drag and fuel consumption) because that’s they way you get lap time and pole position.

But if a team takes that too far and has to spend half the race going slowly to save fuel (as Marmorini says) they may be incapable of keeping their rivals behind. Those rivals might have built more efficient cars with less downforce that can be driven flat-out for longer.

So I think there is potential for some variety and unpredictability in the racing. But I also think there will be one combination of variables which works best and one team will hit upon it and probably have a significant advantage.
F1Fanatic

Top Bottom