• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

dubc35

For some reason it feels a bit like this season is almost over.

Even with Vettel's points lead the schedule has made it even worse. The only good part about the end of the break is it's Spa then Monza. Also last year was amazing so it's really hard to follow that up.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
And if driver feedback was key, Kimi Raikkonen would never been able to win/fight for so many championships considering his well known shortcomings in that department.

That reminds me that the Canal Plus guys were saying Saturday that the performance of his car was so bad during the last set of practice with his own requested settings that they basically reset his car to Grosjean's setup for the qualifications.
Not the biggest fan of Villeneuve as a commentator, but I like that at least we get a lot of nice little info from the Canal Plus team here in France, especially from Lotus since Franck Montagny was their test driver when they were still Renault F1. I think they were the first to break the Alonso/RBR story too.

And if driver feedback was key, Kimi Raikkonen would never been able to win/fight for so many championships considering his well known shortcomings in that department.

Oh no you didn't! ..

... ..

For the sake of the argument, and using your logic. Kimi Went to Ferrari and it won on the first year he was driving with them, and almost did in the second year as well. Alonso got fired from McLaren had 2 abysmal years in Renault and the car was shit and remained shit and if he didn't cheat he wouldn't have won. Kimi comes back to the sport with Alonso's former team which was shit for so many years and it turned into a "championship contender"

Your logic is flawed. But I agree with you that drivers don't develop a car but that's what Alonso's fans were raving about that he's the best "car developer". He couldn't save Renault in in '08 and '09 and he can't do shit for Ferrari and it's his 4th year with the team.

So I don't see why you had to drag Kimi's name in a false statement to support Alonso. He is a proven quality and who says Alonso is shit is ignorant or knows nothing about F1. Is he the best though? That's very difficult to answer

On the bolded part. Of course it is THE key to develop a car, without the feedback engineers wouldn't be able to develop the car in the right direction

What's the problem? You win as a team and you lose as a team, that's the point of Formula 1. There are enough spec series for all people who have a problem with it.
Alonso had the opportunity to win a title with McLaren and he had even an offer from Red Bull some years ago.

And even ignoring the fact that he gets many millions for driving for Ferrari, I have no idea why I should pity Alonso.

Dilly

Banned
Your logic is flawed. But I agree with you that drivers don't develop a car but that's what Alonso's fans were raving about that he's the best "car developer". He couldn't save Renault in in '08 and '09 and he can't do shit for Ferrari and it's his 4th year with the team.

Bullshit, the '08 Renault steadily improved where Alonso was the biggest point scorer in the second part of the season. Hell, that Renault was more consistent and faster at the end of the season than the Ferrari has been for the last few years.

The '09 design was shit from the get go, every F1 fan's daughter could see that from the first pictures they released.

What's the problem? You win as a team and you lose as a team, that's the point of Formula 1. There are enough spec series for all people who have a problem with it.
Alonso had the opportunity to win a title with McLaren and he had even an offer from Red Bull some years ago.

And even ignoring the fact that he gets many millions for driving for Ferrari, I have no idea why I should pity Alonso.

No one is asking you to. If you think that any World Championship driver wouldn't become irritated in Alonso's situation, you're ignorant.

Ark

How is that different from washing it with Fosters?

thats_the_joke.jpg

Bullshit, the '08 Renault steadily improved where Alonso was the biggest point scorer in the second part of the season. Hell, that Renault was more consistent and faster at the end of the season than the Ferrari has been for the last few years.

The '09 design was shit from the get go, every F1 fan's daughter could see that from the first pictures they released.

Fair enough, so how would you explain Kimi scoring the highest points, alongside LH, in the second half of the season in '09 in a car that Ferrari officially abandoned? Wasn't that the same team that Alonso inherited from Kimi, it is actually much more beefed up now

King Cunt to Redbull - lol

They've already found him:

16294504571941153020.jpg

McLaren want him in a car next season (Marussia?) before he links up with Button to form the McLaren-Honda dream team in 2015.

McLaren need better drivers. period.

Hiring Perez was a pathetic and desperate move they needed a replacement for Hamilton not a lapdog for Button. Which he's struggling to beat which proves how crap Button is to begin with

Addnan

Why didn't McLaren get Hulkenberg. Makes no sense, guy was available, much better than Perez. Instead went after the money.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Why didn't McLaren get Hulkenberg. Makes no sense, guy was available, much better than Perez. Instead went after the money.
They needed money (sponsor contracts ending, Lewis and half of engineering stuff running away) and Perez is backed up by C.Slim's empire...

Leunam

There's not a whole lot Perez can do with this years McLaren or Sauber had he stayed there. Button can't even get podium finishes - the best he's managed is 5th. I doubt Hulkenberg would have done any better.

Hell, at least Perez has a fastest lap to his name this season.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari will be in Magny Cours for three days, they will be testing with 2011 car, it seems that they used that option for test with older car - probably just to check correlation between windtunnel / real life data. It will not be Pirelli test.

This kind of test is quite limited, you have limited amount of old tyres and FIA is behind your neck. And it must be conducted on FIA approved test track, which Fiorano is not this year.

Alonso working in simulator. Is this their simulator? Looks a bit poor man's simulator, compared to RBR and Mclaren monstrosities. And to be clear, factories must be on total shutdown for 2 weeks in next 4. How will teams schedule this, is up to them.

Dilly

Banned
Fair enough, so how would you explain Kimi scoring the highest points, alongside LH, in the second half of the season in '09 in a car that Ferrari officially abandoned? Wasn't that the same team that Alonso inherited from Kimi, it is actually much more beefed up now

How do you explain it, huh?

If you've got a point to make, just state it instead of this tippy-toe around bullshit.

Hard to tell from that photo, I think. Although I have heard that Ferrari's simulator is no where near as good as RBR, McLaren & Merc

I seem to remember seeing a picture of Alonso's simulator in his gym, and it looked like a race seat surrounded by tubing (ie. not that one), but it's possible I'm either misremembering it, he's upgraded since then, or it's Ferrari's.

I know they're supposed to be behind the times in that department, but that really would be ridics.

Lets not forget it is Alonso who has carried Ferrari on his back for the entire time he has been there.
I am sure that LdM felt that after their worst race of the year, even the slightest comment was not helpful. to be fair, Alonso didn't say too much but one could argue it wasn't too positive.
Statement came out earlier saying their was no problem between the two men and I would be confident of that. LdM is still the boss who can draw a line in the sand for his superstar driver, Alonso nods and takes it on his chin, they move on.

jey_16

Banned
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/30/sport/motorsport/f1-money-billion-dollar-business/index.html

Article on the money involved in F1.

Whoever at ferrari keeps convincing marlboro to give them 100mil a year for almost no exposure is a wizard.

I read some where that Marlboro were happy because F1 is probably the only worlwdide sport they can get away with having sponsorship in....pretty much all other sports have banned tobacco advertising completley but they can still kind of get away with it in F1

Adamm

No shit. I didn't even know they were still sponsoring them.

Their official name was 'Scuderia Marlboro Ferrai' up until 2011.
Then they dropped Marlboro from their name and changed their logo to half a Marlboro packet :)

Do Marlboro not still get something out of it in countries that have less strict tobacco advertisement rules?

Dead Man

Their official name was 'Scuderia Marlboro Ferrai' up until 2011.
Then they dropped Marlboro from their name and changed their logo to half a Marlboro packet :)

Do Marlboro not still get something out of it in countries that have less strict tobacco advertisement rules?

They must, surely.

They are.

I don't recall Alonso or Kimi lighting the grid on fire when they stepped onto it.

You don't? You must not remember Kimi's first season then.

Top Bottom