• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Something interesting I observed today - you remember how Ferrari had additional 3 day test with 2011 car before summer break? Well, at least Alonso had much better car than on the last race.

They did the same (that Pirelli test) after Bahrain race and they won in Barcelona. Interesting pattern for all conspiracy theorists, maybe it wasn't only for ''windtunnel correlation" ;)

G-Unit

boring ass race, I even turned the tv off before last lap... but

I GOT 77 POINTS OH YEAH!

wtf how the hell omnie got 89 points with 10% less accuracy than me...?

Lewis missed the apex on the right hander of Eau Rouge thus Vettel pulled so hard on him at the top of the hill.

Webber proving yet again he's past his prime in F1. He's leaving at the right time.

Wishing mechanical failures is pitiful but par for course for "fans" who themselves have never competed at anything. Vettel is writing himself into the legends book. Looking back, people will remember his dominance, not the bitter tears spilled on the internet.

Out of his 3 championships, first was won at the last race. 2nd was a dominant performance, 3rd was a comeback in which he kept fighting. Schumacher ear, it's not despite what some of you like to convince yourself of as a feel good.

Alonso doesn't seem to have the ability to put a team around him like Schumaher does or he'd be in Vettel's position today. At the team of the day, he's just a driver and not a full rounded sportsman like Schumacher was.

Congratulations.

This might be the worst F1 related post ever.

Risgroo

yPU1k55.png
I AM NOSTRADAMUS

Only in 70th place though...

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Here is why the podium ceremony was being booed.
Supposedly Greenpeace paid several thousands pounds for VIP tickets and even got access to the track several weeks before the race to secretly install the banners seen today.
BSibN9RCYAAOpgu.jpg

Hammer24

Banned
Mercedes failed with their low DF update, at least Lewis said that. If they do not change something radical, they will suffer in Monza. He also confirmed that they are getting (last) update to their car in Singapore.

Paging Hammer24 for Radio Pitlane ;)

Will come later, pretty busy right now.
Only so much: Merc went for a rain setup (which obviously didn´t play out); and were hampered by the tyre pressure mandated (made them too slow for Eau Rouge). Right now they are a bit in panic mode, as they don´t see a way to win Monza.

At the end of the day, he isn't a full rounded sportsman but just a driver.

Could you stop being so salty over this? Look at the video and you'll see that he lifted the throttle twice while he corrected and counter-steered, dropping the speed from 288 kph to only 285 kph. Only legendary drivers have the balls to go up Eau Rouge flat out and correct the mistakes.

Even van der Garde could do that.

Dilly

Banned
Could you stop being so salty over this? Look at the video and you'll see that he lifted the throttle twice while he corrected and counter-steered, dropping the speed from 288 kph to only 285 kph. Only legendary drivers have the balls to go up Eau Rouge flat out and correct the mistakes.

Even van der Garde could do that.

In the end, the salty tears on the internet don't matter. He's not writing himself into the historybooks.

In the end, the salty tears on the internet don't matter. He's not writing himself into the historybooks.

Like it or not he is already in the history books for many facts, some that can't be argued like first Spanish driver to win a race and a championship.

The guy is aproaching to 100 podiums, probably a crappy stat too.

Dilly

Banned
Not sure if its been posted but someone uploaded a full on board recording of Gerhard Berger's win at Estoril in 89. No commentary. The sound of that 12 cylinder Ferrari engine, my god. mesmerising sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4CX6-eGXWU

No speed limit in the pits still blows my mind.

Like it or not he is already in the history books for many facts, some that can't be argued like first Spanish driver to win a race and a championship.

The guy is aproaching to 100 podiums, probably a crappy stat too.

But, Rukusprovider said differently!

NHale

They can put an asterisk next to Nando's name "potential 5 time world champion"

Right next to the asterisk that says "Won a championship with a inferior car than the legend, the superhuman, the full rounded sportsman Michael Schumacher" right?

It's really unfortunate that F1 wasn't invented in 2010 and it's history can't be appreciated with only a visit to a wikipedia page or a 5 paragraph summary on ESPN.

the races from that 89 season were incredible. Im watching an old espn recording of the Mexican grand prix from that season. the track used for that event reminds me of a wild and dangerous Suzuka, with the challenging angles of the road and long swooping S curves.
That particular race, Prost started off with the softest tire compound, while Senna put harder compounds on the left side of the car and softer compounds on the right, a wise decision since that track has mostly right hand turns. Two of the three Espn guys picked Prost to win, so it was kind of amusing listening to them coming up with excuses for Alain as Senna proceeded to lap him.

the races from that 89 season were incredible. Im watching an old espn recording of the Mexican grand prix from that season. the track used for that event reminds me of a wild and dangerous Suzuka, with the challenging angles of the road and long swooping S curves.
That particular race, Prost started off with the softest tire compound, while Senna put harder compounds on the left side of the car and softer compounds on the right, a wise decision since that track has mostly right hand turns. Two of the three Espn guys picked Prost to win, so it was kind of amusing listening to them coming up with excuses for Alain as Senna proceeded to lap him.

It's a great track, and it's apparently coming back to F1 next year.

If you've never seen Mansell pass Berger on the outside of Peraltada in 1990, look it up on youtube. One of the best passes ever.

Speaking of good videos, Shell debuted a film they did for the 1955 Spa race this past weekend. It was that event with Alonso and Massa dressed up all old timey. It's an incredible look at Moss, Fangio, Farina, etc driving one of the best circuits ever.

http://youtu.be/rAiKovUL8FM

Jezbollah

More recent versions of that Mexico track have been awful. Recent Champcar races there had the track diverted *through* a baseball stadium.

More recent versions of that Mexico track have been awful. Recent Champcar races there had the track diverted *through* a baseball stadium.

The layout is essentially the same as it's been since the 60's, but yeah recent years have seen them do weird things like put temporary chicanes in, and bypass the last corner (Peraltada). I suspect they'll have to bypass it for F1 too, as it's even more dangerous now than it used to be! Of course I'd love to see them leave it in, and just build a massive runoff, but I think that's pretty unlikely.

Addnan

Didn't watch the post race stuff as I usually do since the race was such a damn disappointment, but just now looking through BBC website and saw the Maldonado crash. Wtf, he just turned right and drove in him.

2xes7t.gif

Top Bottom