• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Klocker

put me on board with the Vettel/RBR disdain.... boring and silly season with beautiful tracks like that and having him go out front and not look back IMO

would prefer if you could always use DSR to pass a leader regardless of the gap. ;)

I for one welcome our not so new German overlord.

And that is why nobody loves you!

tumblr_mo5ahdbuIT1s3igp0o1_500.gif

Hammer24

Banned
I see Whitmarsh came out this morning saying that Kimi wants to leave Lotus but basically will be left with no option but to stay with them again next year.

And if Kimi decides to retire again, I'll stop watching F1 altogether .. The sport has no soul anymore and those 2 drivers are the ones that keep me watching

Lets get to the bottom of this:
LOT set up a contract with RAI, giving him a low base salary and bonuses based on the points he gets. For them it was more of a marketing ploy, they never expected to be so competitive and successful.
But for some reason they didn´t specifically outline WHEN those point bonuses are due.
We know that LOT is very very cash strapped, so they decided to pay said bonuses after the season is over. But RAI said he wants them paid after every race, as soon as he got the points. He´s so adamant about it, that he even stopped talking about his contract unless they pay up.
I must say, I always liked RAI. Him not being one of those streamlined driver monkeys (Lauda quote). But I´m getting the impression, he´s only after money now. Not caring for his team, his WDC chances, nothing. He´s driving his team to and maybe over the brink of bankruptcy. Binding their hands in regards of further car development and improvement.
Hell, he even talks to FER to gain leverage, which IMO is nothing short of a total loss of character.
Yes, in the end he could be the odd man out. Maybe he even decides himself to get out if no one pays him what he wants. And right now I wouldn´t be too sad to see him leave. F1 would lose a character. But a RAI driving only as a mercenary is not what I really want to see.
Do you?

F1 would lose a character. But a RAI driving only as a mercenary is not what I really want to see.
Do you?

I do think Kimi as a character is overrated. Yes, some of his comments are funny and whatever, but his attitude is really getting on my nerves. As funny as his comments during the race might be at first, it's really disrespectful towards his race engineer and whoever else he's talking to.

Buy maybe it's just me.

I'm a Kimi fan and mostly a fan of his no BS approach. He doesn't mix emotions with his actions. When it's driving time its driving that he does, when it's business time its business that he does.

The guy has been hammered for being done, over, shit, lost motivation, yet he was the center of attention in the driver markets for the 2 years he was away from F1 and he is now. The buzz this individual can create by his character, whether some people would like it or not, is phenomenal to say the least.

I don't see anything wrong in him asking for what he wants. He's a WDC and a bloody damn fast and consistent driver. He's not dying to stay in F1 like most of the other drivers and he chose to walk away from the sport when he had offers from McLaren and Mercedes on the table after he got fired, and IMO he won't hesitate to do it again if he didn't get what he want.

I think his stance is very unique in this fucked up world "If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it my own way" and my respect to him has went up rather than down.

btw. Mercenaries are the most efficient if you want to get a job done, and this is a cutthroat business. And aren't all drivers mercenaries in that sense? Hamilton "abandoning" the team that took care of him all his career, Alonso leaving Renault after giving him 2 WDCs and abandoning them again when they took him after struggling to find a job when he got fired form McLaren? ..

At least with Kimi you don't get a bullshitter

And personally, I don't think it's money that Kimi is after as much as a winning car

Hammer24

Banned
Hamilton "abandoning" the team that took care of him all his career

One of the few points I do not agree at all. HAM has always been a Mercedes man first, they were the ones paying up and securing him the drives.

And personally, I don't think it's money that Kimi is after as much as a winning car

Then why does he hurt his team so much? I do not think he needs the money so much, that he couldn´t wait till after the season to get his bonuses. Right now he´s effectively blocking LOT from improving his car.

Before we start slagging off Kimi so much for allegedly holding out for more cash (perhaps not even more, just the same amount but sooner), shall we have a look around the grid and consider how many drivers in a top team would realistically take a paycut or agree to deferred payments?

We know Button took one to stay at what became Brawn (although at the time it wasn't a top team), but who else? I'm guessing not many.

In the end, as vulgar as money may be, Lotus made an agreement with Kimi, and he's more than withheld his side of it. To let that kind of thing slide with your employer can really set a dangerous precedent, especially in such a cutthroat and egocentric business.

And besides, if this is Kimi just driving for money, it's still more entertaining than watching most other people drive.

Shaneus

Lol.. I'm gonna miss Webber :(

And if Kimi decides to retire again, I'll stop watching F1 altogether .. The sport has no soul anymore and those 2 drivers are the ones that keep me watching
All this talk of characters and such reminds me we're not going to have someone as balls-out honest or straightforward as Webber is. I'll miss seeing him every so often (whenever the irregular-as-fuck season has their races) but will endeavour to follow him through the WEC, hopefully that winds up being a little more interesting and a little less clinical feeling than I think F1 is now.

Hammer24

Banned
Radio Pitlane:
- fuck Greenpeace, hail Shell - check it out yo
- RIC to RBR is a done deal. But who gets his STR drive? Felix da Costa was the clear cut front runner, but right now he isn´t getting his job done. Brazilian sources want Felipe Nasr to get the drive, and he´d bring money. Kevin Magnussen could get the drive, or bring MCL money to get a MAR gig. Stoffel Vandoorne is said to need another year of development. Others in the running: Will Stevens, Nigel Melker - both better in the standings than da Costa.
- SUT came to the GP in a Rolls Royce, doing the chauffeuring for his gf
- Pat Symonds first sighting in WIL dress, is very optimistic for next year.
- MAL will become a papa soon. Date is after Monza.
- HAM spent his holidays in a music studio in the US, works on his album.
- Merc found the error in ROS Hungary engine. But they still don´t know how it happened, its their first engine failure in five years.

Stats:
- VET now only one GP win shy of ALO (31-32)
- VET one five races this year, but no consecutive wins
- Spa podium the same as Canada, and both tracks are very similar to the cars
- and its only the 3rd time these three were together on the podium
- fastest laps: MSC 77 overall, RAI 38 among active drivers; ALO 20 and VET now 19, as many as Moss, Senna and Hill
- VET win counts as a start-finish win, as he finished every lap being in the lead. Its his 8th. (Senna 19, Clark 13, Stewart 11, MSC 11, Mansell 9)
- VET has now more than 2000 lead laps(2037), that's 5th alltime (MSC 5111, Senna 2931, Prost 2683, Mansell 2091)
- VET has now 4 consecutive seasons with atleast 5 wins, only Senna (1988-1991) and MSC (2000-2004) did the same
- RAI DNF closed the book on two series: 27 consecutive races in the points, 38 consecutive race finish
- CHI had his 11th consecutive race finish, only three other drivers were able to do this in their first 11 (Monteiro, KOV, HAM)
- HAM 4th consecutive pole, 7th consecutive row1 start, was the 99th pole for Merc
- 19th time the first row was VET&HAM, both now have 56 starts from the front row, only three others have more (MSC 116, Senna 87, Prost 86)
- VET and HAM have even more in common, 54 podiums each
- FER has only one start from front row in 2013, MAS in Malaysia
- ALO first Spa podium (4 consecutive DNF in lap 1), his 6th this year, MAS has only one
- first Spa finish for GRO and PER
- PER finshed 11th, for the 12th time in his 48 races. He never finished 12th.
- still 0 points for this years rookies
- 4 consecutive races with a MCL starting from P13
- PIC now the only driver, who never got into Q2 in 2013
- HUL got a cake for his 50th GP start from SAU, but it was only his 49th after he couldn´t start in Australia. But it was the 50th race for DIR and MAL - but both didn´t get a cake.

Omiee

Radio Pitlane:
- fuck Greenpeace, hail Shell - check it out yo
- RIC to RBR is a done deal. But who gets his STR drive? Felix da Costa was the clear cut front runner, but right now he isn´t getting his job done. Brazilian sources want Felipe Nasr to get the drive, and he´d bring money. Kevin Magnussen could get the drive, or bring MCL money to get a MAR gig. Stoffel Vandoorne is said to need another year of development. Others in the running: Will Stevens, Nigel Melker - both better in the standings than da Costa.
- SUT came to the GP in a Rolls Royce, doing the chauffeuring for his gf
- Pat Symonds first sighting in WIL dress, is very optimistic for next year.
- MAL will become a papa soon. Date is after Monza.
- HAM spent his holidays in a music studio in the US, works on his album.
- Merc found the error in ROS Hungary engine. But they still don´t know how it happened, its their first engine failure in five years.

Stats:
- VET now only one GP win shy of ALO (31-32)
- VET one five races this year, but no consecutive wins
- Spa podium the same as Canada, and both tracks are very similar to the cars
- and its only the 3rd time these three were together on the podium
- fastest laps: MSC 77 overall, RAI 38 among active drivers; ALO 20 and VET now 19, as many as Moss, Senna and Hill
- VET win counts as a start-finish win, as he finished every lap being in the lead. Its his 8th. (Senna 19, Clark 13, Stewart 11, MSC 11, Mansell 9)
- VET has now more than 2000 lead laps(2037), that's 5th alltime (MSC 5111, Senna 2931, Prost 2683, Mansell 2091)
- VET has now 4 consecutive seasons with atleast 5 wins, only Senna (1988-1991) and MSC (2000-2004) did the same
- RAI DNF closed the book on two series: 27 consecutive races in the points, 38 consecutive race finish
- CHI had his 11th consecutive race finish, only three other drivers were able to do this in their first 11 (Monteiro, KOV, HAM)
- HAM 4th consecutive pole, 7th consecutive row1 start, was the 99th pole for Merc
- 19th time the first row was VET&HAM, both now have 56 starts from the front row, only three others have more (MSC 116, Senna 87, Prost 86)
- VET and HAM have even more in common, 54 podiums each
- FER has only one start from front row in 2013, MAS in Malaysia
- ALO first Spa podium (4 consecutive DNF in lap 1), his 6th this year, MAS has only one
- first Spa finish for GRO and PER
- PER finshed 11th, for the 12th time in his 48 races. He never finished 12th.
- still 0 points for this years rookies
- 4 consecutive races with a MCL starting from P13
- PIC now the only driver, who never got into Q2 in 2013
- HUL got a cake for his 50th GP start from SAU, but it was only his 49th after he couldn´t start in Australia. But it was the 50th race for DIR and MAL - but both didn´t get a cake.

Lovely read, keep up the good work.

Vettel should make some good progress in the history books this year. there is a chance he overtakes alonso in total wins and will def overtake mansell for amount of laps lead.

would it have counted as a grand slam if he was on pole?

dubc35

VET is definitely shooting for them too, or at least FOM likes to broadcast the radio of Rocky asking him to slow down or stay under control.

LOL

Pimpwerx

Hamilton got flack for the "because I'm black" quip years ago, but honestly, the number of times I've seen the word hip hop associated with his name is uncanny. There's little other reason to mention that other than he's black. Yes, he's sometimes in the studio, but it's certainly not what defines him. Certainly not to the level that it's referenced. PEACE.

Hamilton got flack for the "because I'm black" quip years ago, but honestly, the number of times I've seen the word hip hop associated with his name is uncanny. There's little other reason to mention that other than he's black. Yes, he's sometimes in the studio, but it's certainly not what defines him. Certainly not to the level that it's referenced. PEACE.

Ha.

He's specifically mentioned that he wants to get into recording after F1... just seems a bit ridiculous. If he's actually good (and producers aren't stroking his ego for money / access) then more power to him.

Here's a picture he posted on Instagram.

S9OLX3j.jpg

Are you still surprised at the reactions?

I'm really curious to know, but last I heard he was only recording an album for fun and didn't intend to release it. He's no doubt changed his mind twenty or so times since then though.

Corporate sanitization would leave him with nothing but Roscoe, and the All New 2014 S-Class to rhyme with. He might be good, but no one's that good!

Massa 'favourite choice' for Domenicali

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali has explained that Felipe Massa remains his "favourite choice" to partner Fernando Alonso next season, but admits the Brazilian must deliver consistently strong performances if he is to be retained.

Having regularly been the subject of speculation since returning from injury in 2010, this year has seen Nico Hülkenberg, Paul di Resta, Jules Bianchi and most recently Kimi Räikkönen being linked to Massa's seat, with Ferrari undecided over its plans.

However, moving to defend his long-time driver, Domenicali explained that under ideal circumstances, the Maranello-based outfit's driver line-up would remain unchanged.

"Don’t forget, everybody wants to drive for Ferrari," Domenicali told the official Formula 1 website of the situation. "We have to wait and see. My favourite choice would be, of course, to keep Felipe because Felipe is a very good guy – very dedicated to the team – and when you look around there are not so many drivers out there that you swap and they immediately deliver.

"But, of course, we need good results from Felipe, so that’s why we will not rush as we have to make the right decision for the team. As soon as we have made up our minds we will announce it officially to silence the rumours once and for all."

Domenicali also brushed aside the furore over a meeting between Alonso's manager, Luis Garcia Abad, and Red Bull boss Christian Horner at the Hungarian Grand Prix, insisting that the two-time World Champion will remain at Ferrari long into the future.

"This is part of the psychological game that is around – if somebody is following these things," he said. "Honestly I don't really care. The fact is that we are totally united to win and we have a contract for a long time – all these stories are simply not relevant.

"I have the privilege of looking at these things in a very disconnected way, so I am laughing and thinking about the poor people who are reading these kinds of things. If they really knew the truth they would never read such absurd things again."

Are you fucking kidding me? Of course Massa would be your favorite choice?

Just burn the entire factory down.

Hammer24

Banned
I wonder how good he actually is.

Ask Nicole or Roscoe.

I'm really curious to know, but last I heard he was only recording an album for fun and didn't intend to release it. He's no doubt changed his mind twenty or so times since then though.

He said he´ll release it "when its done", but gave no timeframe when this might be.

I'd like to see HUL get the FER #2 seat next year.

You and me both.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Todt will face a leadership challenge for FIA president in October from David Ward.
He is rumoured to have support from those who used to be loyal to former box Max Mosley.

In a statement Ward said: “After much careful thought I have decided to stand as a candidate in the 2013 FIA Presidential election. The election period begins in September and it will be necessary for me to approach FIA members to secure nominations. In these circumstances I think that the correct course of action is to resign.

“Election processes inevitably involve robust and lively debate, and whilst the Foundation is independent and there is no legal requirement for me to resign, I believe that it is in the best interests of the charity that I stand down now.”

Formerly an advisor to the Labour party, Ward has been involved with the FIA since 1996, in a variety of roles. An associate of former president Max Mosley, he is very well connected.

Red Bull Racing

Budget: £235.5m (estimated from overall RBR/RBT budget)

Income: £240m (of which £110m comes from Red Bull, £60m from other sponsors, and £70m from FOM earnings)

Profit: £4.5m net

Scuderia Ferrari

Budget: £250m (including engines)

Income: £260m (of which £160m comes from sponsors including FIAT, £20m from customers, and £80m from FOM earnings)

Profit: £10m net (group) 2012

McLaren Racing

Budget: £160m

Income: £180m (of which £120m comes from sponsors, and £60m from FOM earnings)

Profit: £20m 2011

Lotus

Budget: £130m

Income: £120m (of which £30m comes from Genii, £45m from other sponsors, and £45m from FOM earnings)

Profit: £-10m

Mercedes Grand Prix

Budget: £160m (including engines)

Income: £150m (of which £50m comes from Daimler, £60m from other sponsors, and £40m from FOM earnings)

Profit: £-10m 2011

Sauber

Budget: £90m

Income: £75m (of which £40m comes from sponsors, and £35m from FOM earnings)

Profit: £-15m

Force India

Budget: £100m

Income: £75m (of which £30m comes from group companies {Mallya and Sahara}, £10m from other sponsors, and £35m from FOM earnings)

Profit: £-25m

Williams

Budget: £90m (purified, excluding Hybrid Power)

Income: £90m (of which £30m comes from PDVSA, £28m from other sponsors, and £32m from FOM earnings)

Profit: Even

Scuderia Toro Rosso

Budget: £70m

Income: £70m (of which £32m comes from Red Bull, £8m from other sources, and £30m from FOM earnings)

Caterham

Budget: £65m

Income: £65m (of which £26m comes from group companies {Fernandes}, £9m from other sponsors, and £30m from FOM earnings)

Marussia

Budget: £51m

Income: £51m (of which £30m comes from Marussia, £15m from other sponsors, and £6m from FOM earnings)

marussia getting stuffed good and proper by the demon headmaster.

Are you fucking kidding me? Of course Massa would be your favorite choice?

Just burn the entire factory down.

And to think that if he had retired after his near death in Hungary he would be seen as a great driver, an almost champion and a very fast promising talent.

But he did come back, he´s not the same and it´s viewed as less than dog poop these days.

The sport is brutal, but anyone can agree that his days should be over. He´ll never be the same. Should retire and enjoy his family and money. No point on keeping him for Ferrari. If they want some quiet guy that won´t bother Alonso, they can get a bunch of young drivers for a change.

Zeppu

I'm not going to lie. I'd buy all albums from the Doggy Dog Boys if its members comprised of the people on the podium in Spa.

Top Bottom