• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Wtf, he just turned right and drove in him.

He was diving for the pits as he'd just had a chunk of his front wing ripped off. The chances of him seeing Di Resta were slim, he took an instinctive gamble that no one was there given that it was his last chance to pit and it didn't pay off.

Gutierrez set off that whole chain of events anyway.

dubc35

Finished watching the GP, pretty uneventful unfortunately. Really wished DIR would have gotten pole. I'm not a huge fan of him but it would have provided an exciting start to the race. Bring on the festival of speed!

kharma45

Didn't watch the post race stuff as I usually do since the race was such a damn disappointment, but just now looking through BBC website and saw the Maldonado crash. Wtf, he just turned right and drove in him.

2xes7t.gif

Sutil damaged his car so he went to fly into the pits but didn't see DIR.

Addnan

Gutierrez didn't do anything wrong in that section, he messed up in the straight after against Sutil.

That was just Maldonado forgetting there were two other cars behind him that he was also racing. He clipped Sutil and then dived for the pits and hit Di Resta.

Orgun

So glad I didn't bother to watch the race. As soon as Vettel had a 2 second lead within almost a lap I just went and checked the results and watched the highlight.

That man is single handily killing my interest in the sport, just like Schumy did for a lot of people.

That man is single handily killing my interest in the sport, just like Schumy did for a lot of people.

I've heard this said a lot, but I'm still not getting it. Spa was a bad race because it was a bad race, outside of a handful of incidents very little happened and beyond the first few laps there really wasn't much chance of anything changing significantly. There was no-one really chasing anyone down and pretty much everyone ended up on the same strategy aside from Webber who didn't make his different tyres work out for him in the final sprint.

There have been many other races this year that were excellent even though the leader galloped off into the distance. Sure, I understand it if you only care about who wins, but you'd be writing off some real classics over the years if you think that way.

Dilly

Banned
So glad I didn't bother to watch the race. As soon as Vettel had a 2 second lead within almost a lap I just went and checked the results and watched the highlight.

Yup, same here.

Glad I discovered WRC and WEC just in time.

While the otherside lose their minds like they have lost 3 instead...

Sigh, can't be bothered with this.

I can't see that he did anything wrong there

He ran off the track at the exit of the previous corner, and instead of yielding after he gained an advantage (which he later got a penalty for), continued to fight Maldonado for position. As a result, Maldonado ran wide in the next corner (the one in the gif), and subsequently walloped Sutil and Di Resta.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I see Whitmarsh came out this morning saying that Kimi wants to leave Lotus but basically will be left with no option but to stay with them again next year.

Addnan

I see Whitmarsh came out this morning saying that Kimi wants to leave Lotus but basically will be left with no option but to stay with them again next year.
He would only comment on that to get Button to take a shittier deal right. What else is the point of going public with that.

He would only comment on that to get Button to take a shittier deal right. What else is the point of going public with that.

I don't really see how acknowledging that Kimi wants out of Lotus, but saying that McLaren aren't an option for him puts any pressure on Button.

Edit: Nevermind that, I've just come across the Autosport article myself, and Whitmarsh said a lot more than navanman's original summation suggested. I think you're right that Whitmarsh is playing silly buggers though.

Button is apparently close to signing a new three-year contract with McLaren. Dunno if it's 3 guaranteed years, or maybe 2 + a 1-year option. Seems likely he'll retire after the 2016 season.
hurhur he should have retired 10 years ago, hur

McLaren are dead without Ron Denis. Absolutely no ambition, they should be clearing out the management and doing whatever is necessary to sign Kimi. Instead they stick with Button who is useless and not going to win the WDC.

Ferrari:

On the engine side we believe that what has been put out from our competitor is an interesting marketing exercise, but I can guarantee to you that the pictures I have seen are not the engine that will be in the cars next year. If you want we can bet!

Amus was also spewing shit about the 100bhp Mercedes advantage. Renault will be the engine to have next year, #5 for Vettel.

dubc35

Yup, same here.

Glad I discovered WRC and WEC just in time.

Sigh, can't be bothered with this.
Funny, Loeb ruined WRC for me. I haven't been able to get back into it. No idea what's going on this year. Subaru leaving several years ago also reduced my interest.

Nothing, F1 got boring. Lots of people not posting as much.
We need 4-5 straight Vettel DNF's.
He'd probably still win WDC.

Zeppu

You guys are incredible. I understand F1 being terribly boring when one team dominates the whole season but I don't understand the Vettel/RBR hate.

By this time last year (Hungary actually) Alonso was leading Vettel by 40 points and there was no hate directed towards him at all.

Risgroo

By this time last year (Hungary actually) Alonso was leading Vettel by 40 points and there was no hate directed towards him at all.

Well. last year was pretty different, as Alonso had somehow managed to get a points cushion in a car that really shouldn't have been that high up in the standings. Because of that there was always the feeling that he would be reeled in eventually, while this year Vettel/RBR seem unstoppable. Most people are just tired of seeing Vettel winning the WDC every year, so while I don't actually think the race was that bad, Vettel extending his lead just makes me a bit upset.

You guys are incredible. I understand F1 being terribly boring when one team dominates the whole season but I don't understand the Vettel/RBR hate.

The reasons are pretty easy to understand. People are butthurt that the wrong driver is winning races and championships.
Combine it with selective perception and you will get this thread.

Dilly

Banned
Funny, Loeb ruined WRC for me. I haven't been able to get back into it. No idea what's going on this year. Subaru leaving several years ago also reduced my interest.

Yeah, very understandeable.

I'm probably a lot more interested because Neuville is doing so good and I like Volkswagen, however I hope a team manages to break VW dominance next year though.

Oh for goodness sake.

Vettel is leading the championship with 40 points in one of the best cars on the grid, Alonso was leading with the 6th best car on the grid. One situation is interesting, the other one is just like the last few years. However, Alonso getting punted by Grosjean killed an interesting second leg of the championship anyway.

The reasons are pretty easy to understand. People are butthurt that the wrong driver is winning races and championships.
Combine it with selective perception and you will get this thread.

Yeah, you of all people should have a 'holier than thou' attitude about this.

You can´t have the best driver with the best car. It always produces boring seasons. The Vettel era is shaping up to be like like the Schumacher´s days in Ferrari.

Boring as hell.

Addnan

If you guys are happy and enjoying seeing one guy dominate 4 years in a row props to you. Shit is boring. I don't care if it's Vettel, it would piss me off if Alonso had the best car and won with ease.

Well. last year was pretty different, as Alonso had somehow managed to get a points cushion in a car that really shouldn't have been that high up in the standings. Because of that there was always the feeling that he would be reeled in eventually, while this year Vettel/RBR seem unstoppable. Most people are just tired of seeing Vettel winning the WDC every year, so while I don't actually think the race was that bad, Vettel extending his lead just makes me a bit upset.

Yes, the race was bad. DRS was way overpowered, no proper fight for the lead/podium, no rain (after all the forecasts), no safety car to spice it up.

Truth is, with DRS, a dry Spa race is a procession really (2011-2012-2013). The last great race at Spa was 2010. 2008-2009 were great without DRS.

Adamm

If you guys are happy and enjoying seeing one guy dominate 4 years in a row props to you. Shit is boring. I don't care if it's Vettel, it would piss me off if Alonso had the best car and won with ease.

Yes this is exactly how I feel.
I have nothing against Vettel, I am just bored of seeing the same person win Every time.

Zeppu

I am in no way saying that the current situation creates a good spectacle. Dominance on the track makes for horrible, uninteresting races. I just don't understand the hate.

At the start of 2012 we had 7 winners in 7 races. The speed between Ferrari, RBR and McLaren was fairly close. This year at the start of this season RBR/Mercedes had fast cars, Lotus and Ferrari had better tyre management. It wasn't instantly obvious which car was better than the others. As the season progressed RBR improved their car at a faster rate than the rest of teams, which in turn led to one again have them dominate.

I would like to have VET, ALO, RAI and HAM racing on equal ground as much as the next guy because I love the sport for the sake of the sport rather than for the love of a team or a driver but I don't blame RBR for consistently making a good, fast car, but rather am frustrated that especially Ferrari and McLaren can't seem to get a firm grasp of their problems and produce a competitive car.

It is also the reason why rumours of RAI and ALO joining RBR excite me. Not because I want RBR to win but because they've shown that they are capable of producing a fast car and having two excellent drivers in it at the same time is bound to be exciting.

You can´t have the best driver with the best car. It always produces boring seasons. The Vettel era is shaping up to be like like the Schumacher´s days in Ferrari.

Boring as hell.

Two of his three Championships came down to the last race. 64% of the races in the last 3 1/2 years have been won by someone besides Vettel. I'm sorry, but the sky just isn't falling. I understand people would like to see someone else win the title though. You've seen this movie before. I get it.

dubc35

This picture of Vettel is pretty neat.

I saw that earlier and was going to post it along with a picture of one of the villains in the, I think, Indiana Jones movies where he opens a box or something and there is a glow on his evil face, lol. I couldn't fin a picture of it so I scrapped the plan.

So does a leader running away with a race always mean it's a bad race?

I mean I thought Spa was shit for various reasons, partially because Vettel disappeared into the distance... but then Vettel scampered off in Bahrain too, and that was a fantastic race.

Zeppu

That is also very true. What sucked most about Spa was that after a few laps everything in the front had pretty much settled down. Top 3 were already in position after 1/3 of the race. To make it worse everything interesting happening at the back was resulting in penalties or crashes. The race would've probably been more interesting if they followed Riccardo rather than the frontrunners.

Just got an email saying I scored 172 points this week in F1 Castrol GP lol wtf. I am somehow in first in the GAF league and 42 overall worldwide. I have been slackin' on choosing my picks so they've been the same for pretty much all season.

Just noticed the top scorer each week gets a Samsung galaxy tab. Was I even close to the top scorer anyone know? I'm on mobile and don't know how to check that.
The fuck...

Criesofthepast and Duracell017 F1 got 172 Points and 175 points!

I thought I did well this week, but still dropped two places because of them haha!
Edit: just saw this lol sorry. And Damnit Duracell!!! I wonder if he won the galaxy. 175 is a lot of points. I got it mostly from the bonus'

Correctly predicting 6 of the top 10, top 1, and top 3.

Alonso and Ferrari are no more "likabe" than Vettel and RBR,, Fernando is a self entitled brat and Ferrari are sleazy, that stunt they pulled last year at Austin with Massa's gearbox was shady as fuck and yet another notch in their history of sketchy behavior.
on the other hand, Vettel winning over and over sucks the life and energy out of the races. All I can say for Seb is that at least hes not as unlikable as Schumacher.

Top Bottom