• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

NHale

And to think that if he had retired after his near death in Hungary he would be seen as a great driver, an almost champion and a very fast promising talent.

But he did come back, he´s not the same and it´s viewed as less than dog poop these days.

The sport is brutal, but anyone can agree that his days should be over. He´ll never be the same. Should retire and enjoy his family and money. No point on keeping him for Ferrari. If they want some quiet guy that won´t bother Alonso, they can get a bunch of young drivers for a change.

I'm actually a little surprised he even wants to stay at Ferrari, considering he's just being crushed by his teammate and even his own team. Like you said by now everyone only remembers him as the slow driver that makes silly mistakes and is always behind Alonso, when in fact he was 2 corners away from being a World Champion after driving a great season for Ferrari.

Even Barrichello had an higher self-esteem and left Ferrari when he was getting destroyed by Schumacher and his own team.

I'm actually a little surprised he even wants to stay at Ferrari, considering he's just being crushed by his teammate and even his own team. Like you said by now everyone only remembers him as the slow driver that makes silly mistakes and is always behind Alonso, when in fact he was 2 corners away from being a World Champion after driving a great season for Ferrari.

Even Barrichello had an higher self-esteem and left Ferrari when he was getting destroyed by Schumacher and his own team.

I don't blame Massa at all for staying at Ferrari, even as a #2 clown. He's still getting 6 million this year. Less than the previous years, but still not bad, considering his performance. That's twice the sum Kimi gets from Lotus.

olore

I do think Kimi as a character is overrated. Yes, some of his comments are funny and whatever, but his attitude is really getting on my nerves. As funny as his comments during the race might be at first, it's really disrespectful towards his race engineer and whoever else he's talking to.

Buy maybe it's just me.

No, I agree with you. I like a rebel but he is just coming across as someone who lacks manners.

No, I agree with you. I like a rebel but he is just coming across as someone who lacks manners.

What I have read from Finnish papers about the people that has met him and had chat with him he actually seems to be pretty nice guy. Just couple of weeks ago read story about disabled athlete that met him and Kimi promised to buy him some equipment that will help him to get better and even said ''promise me that you will use it a lot!''.

Pimpwerx

Here's a picture he posted on Instagram.

S9OLX3j.jpg

Are you still surprised at the reactions?

No one else in the sports is characterized by their hobbies as much as Lewis. I'm not gonna beat around the bush and say this hip-hop thing is mostly played up because he's black. Seriously. Webber is far more passionate about his cycling and stuff than Lewis is about his music, but you don't hear cycling references bandied around every other day regarding Webber. I assume other drivers have other hobbies that are publicly known too, but don't have it slapped on them as a label.

There is no surprise here, for me. I assume people think along racial lines, whether they're aware of it or not. This seems obvious when it pertains to Lewis. I've talked more about the guy than maybe 75% of the F1 fanbase, and I can honestly say I've never once made mention of his interest in hip-hop, except in posts like this where I try to point out the awkwardness of it.

tl;dr It comes up a disproportionate amount given the relative lack of public activity he displays on the genre. Far more than any other drivers' hobbies, that's for certain. If it makes anyone uncomfortable to think about, I guess I've done my job. ;) PEACE.

I've seen Webber's cycling discussed loads, same goes for Button's triathalons and Kimi's motorcross and ice racing.

That said, none of them seem to be publicity whores, so perhaps the reason their activities seem to be discussed less is that they're less interested in people discussing them.

Dead Man

No one else in the sports is characterized by their hobbies as much as Lewis. I'm not gonna beat around the bush and say this hip-hop thing is mostly played up because he's black. Seriously. Webber is far more passionate about his cycling and stuff than Lewis is about his music, but you don't hear cycling references bandied around every other day regarding Webber. I assume other drivers have other hobbies that are publicly known too, but don't have it slapped on them as a label.

There is no surprise here, for me. I assume people think along racial lines, whether they're aware of it or not. This seems obvious when it pertains to Lewis. I've talked more about the guy than maybe 75% of the F1 fanbase, and I can honestly say I've never once made mention of his interest in hip-hop, except in posts like this where I try to point out the awkwardness of it.

tl;dr It comes up a disproportionate amount given the relative lack of public activity he displays on the genre. Far more than any other drivers' hobbies, that's for certain. If it makes anyone uncomfortable to think about, I guess I've done my job. ;) PEACE.

The hip hop thing is not even a thing I was aware of until I read he was doing a... hip hop album. He just comes across as rich kid trying to be working class.

I've seen Webber's cycling discussed loads, same goes for Button's triathalons and Kimi's motorcross and ice racing.

That said, none of them seem to be publicity whores, so perhaps the reason their activities seem to be discussed less is that they're less interested in people discussing them.

Additionally...

Jaime Alguersuari + DJ'ing, Tiger Woods + fucking, Shane Warne + poker, Andrew Flintoff + drinking, Chris Eubank + being a mentalist, Jonathan Edwards + physics, Jarno Trulli + his vineyard, Lance Armstrong + charity/lies

Not hard to think of some. And Lewis' infatuation with hip hop is barely mentioned relative to his on/off relationship with Nicole and his dog, despite the fact that Lewis describes himself as "Formula 1 driver, Artist, singer/songwriter/musician."

I assume people think along racial lines, whether they're aware of it or not.

You're certainly adept at it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hard to keep track of it, but they're together again now right?

That's two full rotations isn't it?

I think that they are not together (yet). He is still full of religious stuff on Twitter :D

At least he can turn into a preacher when he is done with racing #godbless

Hammer24

Banned

I´d say that's a tiny bit unfair assessment. As a rule of thumb I´d say, the higher the driver placed in the championship, the bigger the magnifying glass he lives under.
And of course, activities nonrelated to sports give bigger headlines as well.

Jaime Alguersuari + DJ'ing

Forgot about that. Funny thing is that he's supposed to be quite good (at least he's had the balls to release some of his stuff).

I´d say that's a tiny bit unfair assessment. As a rule of thumb I´d say, the higher the driver placed in the championship, the bigger the magnifying glass he lives under.
And of course, activities nonrelated to sports give bigger headlines as well.

How much do you hear about Vettel's private life? Next to nothing, because he wants it that way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

couldn't it simply be because music and entertainment are more interesting news than Mark Webber riding a bike? Plus the celebrity value?

Radio Le Mans say the news is about Alonso in F1.

He's quitting to join Webber at Porsche.

Vet / Ric / RedBull.

Kimi / Hulk / Ferrari.

Grosjean / di Resta / Lotus.

Sutil / Magnussen / Force India.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Maybe he will announce that he finally read The Art of War from Sun Tzu and that he bought rice farm in Indonesia

or just random samurai crap like "The hamster is swift, the tortoise is not"

This is a really good article on Rush and how Ron Howard struggled to get financing from American sources due to F1s low profile in NA. also has some sharp criticisms of Bernie E and how he makes it difficult for filmmakers to even make movies that involve F1.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ron-howards-rush-for-independent-film-financing-1200582947/

That's not surprising really. That sort of tight control over tv/film rights has always been detrimental.

But I'm hyped for the film.

Oddly enough, I can't see myself watching it. I'd go the whole film hoping for a different outcome than the one which actually occurred.

Hammer24

Banned
How much do you hear about Vettel's private life? Next to nothing, because he wants it that way.

I´d rather say its because VET private life is extremely boring. Whenever he decides to sing his own album, we´ll hear no end of it.

Now in other unrelated speculation: Wouldn´t it be fun, if Bernie himself would block the new Concorde? :p

Mosley: Todt sucks

Former FIA president Max Mosley has warned that F1 is in a tight for "survival" partly because of the ineffective of Jean Todt.

Mosley, who was a staunch campaigner for cost cutting measures, believes F1 is in trouble as costs are again soaring and are set to do so even more next season with the introduction of V6 engines.

"It's about the survival of Formula 1 if nothing happens, F1 will shrink," the 73-year-old told Welt am Sonntag.

"The problem is that the smaller teams struggle to find lenders to be competitive.

As a result they are forced out of the sport at the ened. They are forced to give it. It's high time for a rethink."

Mosley, however, denied that Bernie Ecclestone's big chunk of the profits is the problem.

Asked whether a solution to the problem could be for Ecclestone to give the teams more money, he said: "The big teams get more money from Ecclestone and would spend yet more money.

"Proper [solution] would be a mandatory spending limit for all the teams - whether large or small. F1 would not change in substance if less money was spent by all the teams. It would only be fair to all."

And the former FIA president believes his successor, Jean Todt, is largely to blame for the "ineffective" of cost-cutting.

"My successor Jean Todt was never a friend of cost cutting," he said.

"The FIA has not properly taken care of the problem of cost control. Formula One now has a big problem."

Dead Man

Asked whether a solution to the problem could be for Ecclestone to give the teams more money, he said: "The big teams get more money from Ecclestone and would spend yet more money.

Uh huh :/ The problem isn't (just) costs, it is the lack of distribution of the profits from the damn sport.

Mosley: Todt sucks

Mosley: Hey, my buddy is running for president of the FIA, fuck that other guy!

You'll be hearing a lot more along those lines in the run up to the election.

Hammer24 said:
Now in other unrelated speculation: Wouldn´t it be fun, if Bernie himself would block the new Concorde? :p

To stall a decision until after the election in case Ward wins? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Hammer24

Banned
To stall a decision until after the election in case Ward wins? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

How about: to stall the F1 going public (like in: listed on the stock exchange). Because it would mean he would have a public office, and the Munich indictment would need him to step down from it.

Top Bottom