• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Hammer24

Banned
Great move for RBR. Everyone knows Vettel's car runs exclusively on Australian tears.

3SEk0.gif

Good, now Ferrari can grab Kimi and dominate the constructors next year.

They switching to Merc engines too?

oipic

LTTP, I know, but I just want to say that I'm so, so pleased for Dan Ricciardo.

I've followed his progress closely since back in his Formula Renault days, and while I long held onto hopes that he'd reach F1 and ultimately land a top drive one day, I had some doubts along the way as to whether he had enough 'mongrel' in him to make it. He's almost too polite, on and off track.

The jury is still out on him, of course, and it'll be awhile before we'll know where he really stands, but for now, this is a great reward for all of his hard work on improving himself as a driver. Dan is a ripping young bloke of great character, and I'm rapt for him and his family.

If Alonso gets a reasonable position on the starting grid (not 9th like last time) he should be the favourite to win. but who knows with Ferrari, I blame their shitty qualifying session for Spa being such an insufferable bore. Alonso was the best driver in that race, couldve beaten Vettel or at least made it a really close race if he'd started further up the grid.

ramparter

Banned
If Alonso gets a reasonable position on the starting grid (not 9th like last time) he should be the favourite to win. but who knows with Ferrari, I blame their shitty qualifying session for Spa being such an insufferable bore. Alonso was the best driver in that race, couldve beaten Vettel or at least made it a really close race if he'd started further up the grid.
I'd like to believe that but I think Vettel could easily go fastest when he needed to do so.

Shaneus

dat mini fro
At first glance I was wondering why he was wearing his helmet indoors.

LTTP, I know, but I just want to say that I'm so, so pleased for Dan Ricciardo.

I've followed his progress closely since back in his Formula Renault days, and while I long held onto hopes that he'd reach F1 and ultimately land a top drive one day, I had some doubts along the way as to whether he had enough 'mongrel' in him to make it. He's almost too polite, on and off track.

The jury is still out on him, of course, and it'll be awhile before we'll know where he really stands, but for now, this is a great reward for all of his hard work on improving himself as a driver. Dan is a ripping young bloke of great character, and I'm rapt for him and his family.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I started following him fairly early on in the piece as well (perhaps not as early as you, maybe during his stint in F3?) and yeah, I'm not sure about the mongrel levels in him, but I have a feeling he'll harden up pretty quickly in a top-tier car.

Shame his first race in his new team isn't in Australia, but there you go. Be so strange seeing him in RBR getup, too.

Hammer24

Banned
OK guys, so who´s getting RIC´s STR drive? There are rumblings it could go to HUL, if he isn´t able to secure a drive in FER, LOT or FOI.

OK guys, so who´s getting RIC´s STR drive? There are rumblings it could go to HUL, if he isn´t able to secure a drive in FER, LOT or FOI.

If that's true, then it could imply that RBR see the Vettel and Ric partnership lasting a long time.

(Or they've already decided to pull out of the sport when Vettel inevitably moves/retires)

Up until this year I would have though Da Costa was the one, but he's been a bit crap this year. Both Sainz Jr. and Kyvat are not exactly setting the world on fire either. i imagine they will go outside of the current RB junior system. Nasr was part of the system and seems the most likely though Robin Frijns could also be in contention but there is some talk he and Helmut don't exactly get on. Hulk would go against the entire ethos of TR as a junoir development team.

Shaneus

I don't know how plausible it is or not, but I'd almost put money on Mitch Evans. I don't know if he's too young or not, but he seems to have the support of some fairly big names, least of all Webber and Horner.

NHale

So one of the big reasons of going with Ricciardo was to prove that the Red Bull junior program was viable and now they are going to hire someone from outside the junior program to drive for the junior team?

To me that doesn't make any sense especially because so far Hulkenburg has shown a lot more talent and potential than the driver they hired for RBR, so if you are going to break the "progression system of RBR program" might as well do it on the big team not the junior team.

And apparently Helmut Marko is still confident Felix da Costa is the best fit for the STR drive, despite the disappointing season that some within the team believe are more fault of Arden than Felix da Costa. Marko was present on the last WSR race to watch Felix da Costa work and he reportedly saw the mistakes were done by the team and not the driver.

Felix da Costa also gave a interview this week where he said he's convinced that if he does well on the last 3 weekends of the WSR it's going to be his spot to lose.

I don't know how plausible it is or not, but I'd almost put money on Mitch Evans. I don't know if he's too young or not, but he seems to have the support of some fairly big names, least of all Webber and Horner.

So he has the support of the 2 people that don't have any power to make the decision?

Didn't you find strange that it was Helmut Marko doing the presentation of Ricciardo and not the Team Principal of RBR? Because to me that spoke volumes...

Mastah

The basic speed, Red Bull insist, is not in doubt. Horner mentioned to 5 live that one of the determining factors in Ricciardo's appointment was what he described as a "really impressive" test for the team at Silverstone in July.

He did not go into detail, but privately Red Bull insiders have. This writer has been briefed that in a car of comparative specification - same fuel load, tyres, etc - and in similar conditions (albeit on a different day), Ricciardo was 0.2 seconds faster than Vettel at that test.

It seems fair to assume that Red Bull do not expect that to happen when they are team-mates next year - not unless they want to provoke some sort of meltdown inside the team. And the evidence of the last few years is that they do not.

Red Bull insiders knew what they would be getting with Raikkonen - a proven winner who regularly delivers strong points finishes; a step up from Webber, in consistency, if perhaps not in ultimate pace.

But they had doubts - over the levels of his likely engagement, particularly technically, and even over his ultimate speed.

They looked at the comparative performances of Raikkonen and Alonso against Felipe Massa and Romain Grosjean - the last two team-mates for both - and concluded that Alonso was faster, and by quite some margin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23960315

Interesting stuff.

The lap time thing is a bit of a silly comparison. One is desperate for a drive with a team that will change his life, the other is turning up for a day of grind, 5 years into his time at the job.

If I was Ricciardo I'd have been shaving weight off the thing to go faster. :D

So one of the big reasons of going with Ricciardo was to prove that the Red Bull junior program was viable and now they are going to hire someone from outside the junior program to drive for the junior team?

To me that doesn't make any sense especially because so far Hulkenburg has shown a lot more talent and potential than the driver they hired for RBR, so if you are going to break the "progression system of RBR program" might as well do it on the big team not the junior team.

To me it makes sense. It's about the right guy for the right job. Ricciardo = Webber 2.0, Hulkenberg = potential Vettel replacement if he leaves in two years which I think he will.

Personally, I put no stock in this talk of decisions being made to prove the viability of TR. Ricciardo was the right guy for that particular seat. I put Hulkenberg and Raikkonen in the same category - too quick with too much expectation and ambition to not rock the boat. I think Ferrari feels the same way. They may be forced to take a flier however because Massa needs to go, but they've got no suitable replacement.

Good for lil Ricky. I'm glad Red Bull is putting faith in their farm system. The first guy seems to have done alright.

As much as I like Kimi, I'd worry about managing his moods all the time. He's a handful.

This also pretty much confirms Kimi at Lotus unless he wants to be a good little boy at Ferrari.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
New Jersey GP out for 2014 with Mexico GP coming in. 21 races in total for 2014.
Thats going to be make it even harder on the brand new engines and systems next year.
Reliability could win you the WDC next year.

Austrian GP moved to June 22nd also.

Risgroo

New Jersey GP out for 2014 with Mexico GP coming in. 21 races in total for 2014.
Thats going to be make it even harder on the brand new engines and systems next year.
Reliability could win you the WDC next year.

Austrian GP moved to June 22nd also.

March 16 - Australia (Melbourne)
March 23 - Malaysia (Sepang)
April 6 - China (Shanghai)
April 13 – Korea* (Korea International Circuit)
April 27 – Bahrain (Sakhir)
May 11 – Spain (Barcelona)
May 25 – Monaco (Monaco)
June 8 – Canada (Montreal)
June 22 – Austria (Red Bull Ring)
July 6 – Britain (Silverstone)
July 20 – Germany (Hockenheim)
July 27 – Hungary (Budapest)
August 24 – Belgium (Spa)
September 7 – Italy (Monza)
September 21 – Singapore (Marina Bay)
October 5 - Japan (Suzuka)
October 19 – Russia* (Sochi)
October 26 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)
November 9 – Mexico* (Mexico City)
November 16 – USA (Circuit of the Americas)
November 30 – Brazil (Interlagos)
* (subject to confirmation of track/contract)

Source

Addnan

What's happening with Sochi, thought they didn't get their application in on time or something and the local government is not supporting it properly or something.

Shaneus

May 25 – Monaco (Monaco)

Source
Straya first? FUUUUCK YISS.

Some info from Finnish paper about possible Kimi Ferrari deal
Rough translation of partions of the text:

''According the sources of IS Sports it's Alonso that is most against Räikkönen coming back to Ferrari. He doesn't admit this publicly of course''

''Double worldchampion has notified Ferrari that he thinks continuing with Massa or hiring Hulkenberg would be better options''

'' Alonso doesn't have same kind of influence inside of Ferrari as before though and he hasn't veto right to certain things like before. He has only himself to blame''

''He acted very thoughtlessly when he publicly criticized Ferrari. Also Luca di Montezemolo didn't like it that he tried to aproach Red Bull''

''According IS Sport Ferrari has already made the decision to not to make contract with Massa. Especially team head Domenicalli has been thrilled about the chance to bring Räikkönen back.''

''Ferrari of course understands that having Alonso and Räikkönen as team mates would give them a very good chance to win constructor's title after a long time.''

''Still Maranello also is aware of the danger that Alonso could start to throw a tantrum in the same way as during his Mclaren year. Alonso knows that it's his reputation in line if he has to drive against Räikkönen with a same car without having clear position as a number one driver in a team''

''Now we just wait just how much Alonso still has power regarding this and what final decision di Montezemolon makes''

Fisico

A Alonso/Raikkonen pair would be so awesome
I'm 100% for Lotus, but if Kimi had to leave I would be ok if it's in a top Team without a clear number 1.

A Alonso/Raikkonen pair would be so awesome
I'm 100% for Lotus, but if Kimi had to leave I would be ok if it's in a top Team without a clear number 1.

Yeah. It would be awesome. As great driver as Alonso is it really annoyes me that regarding his team mates he is the same as Schumacher. Wants to be clear numbers one and wants a weak team mate. It seems that Kimi and Hamilton want to be the best and don't care who drives the second car as you need to beat him too if you really want to be the best. Alonso wants to just win titles.

Zeknurn

Some info from Finnish paper about possible Kimi Ferrari deal
Rough translation of partions of the text:

''According the sources of IS Sports it's Alonso that is most against Räikkönen coming back to Ferrari. He doesn't admit this publicly of course''

''Double worldchampion has notified Ferrari that he thinks continuing with Massa or hiring Hulkenberg would be better options''

'' Alonso doesn't have same kind of influence inside of Ferrari as before though and he hasn't veto right to certain things like before. He has only himself to blame''

''He acted very thoughtlessly when he publicly criticized Ferrari. Also Luca di Montezemolo didn't like it that he tried to aproach Red Bull''

''According IS Sport Ferrari has already made the decision to not to make contract with Massa. Especially team head Domenicalli has been thrilled about the chance to bring Räikkönen back.''

''Ferrari of course understands that having Alonso and Räikkönen as team mates would give them a very good chance to win constructor's title after a long time.''

''Still Maranello also is aware of the danger that Alonso could start to throw a tantrum in the same way as during his Mclaren year. Alonso knows that it's his reputation in line if he has to drive against Räikkönen with a same car without having clear position as a number one driver in a team''

''Now we just wait just how much Alonso still has power regarding this and what final decision di Montezemolon makes''

I kinda want to see Räikkönen drive for Ferrari now. Mostly to stick it to Alonso.

I've never thought Alonso to be the mangod he's made out to be, but I'd love to see the reaction if he utterly wipes the floor with Kimi (and vice versa).

I'm sure the favouritism / number 1 driver excuses would come flooding out. :)

Risgroo

Straya first? FUUUUCK YISS.
But Bahrain is such a brilliant season opener...

No mention of Bianchi btw, I wonder what it means
maybe Alonso doesn't know who he is

I didn't follow his junior career that closely, but wasn't he pretty error prone in GP2? He seems pretty calm this year, but he doesn't really have that many people to fight with. I think he needs a year or two in the midfield before he's a candidate for a top drive.

Hammer24

Banned
RAI:
- still not talking to LOT, still because of the as of yet unpaid bonuses (but it was the same last year?)
- regarding FER: "whats in the past is in the past"
- regarding LdM: "Some things could have worked better, but I got no problem with him. I say Hello when I see him"

Business

Yeah. It would be awesome. As great driver as Alonso is it really annoyes me that regarding his team mates he is the same as Schumacher. Wants to be clear numbers one and wants a weak team mate. It seems that Kimi and Hamilton want to be the best and don't care who drives the second car as you need to beat him too if you really want to be the best. Alonso wants to just win titles.

"Any similarities to a real person or thing is pure, unintentional coincidence."

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
May 25 – Monaco (Monaco)

Source

That July to August still sucks..

Sloane

Banned
May 25 – Monaco (Monaco)

Source
Now get rid of the five shittiest races and you've actually got a decent track list again.

I don't mind them taking their summer break as long as the other gaps are kept in check, and the total number of GPs increases. There are like 30% more races than there were ten years ago, so fair game.

Top Bottom