• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Interesting post on twitter, makes you wonder if the New Jersey track was ever feasible.

https://twitter.com/virtualstatman
I've driven the proposed NJ F1 layout and it is completely unfeasible. I'm not in the least bit surprised it isn't on the 2014 calendar
Main NJ issues: No space for pit and start-finish, "run-off" areas are actually steep hills with houses on the top
I'm not exaggerating when I say the New York track layout in Gran Turismo is more feasible than the NJ layout

I don't mind them taking their summer break as long as the other gaps are kept in check, and the total number of GPs increases. There are like 30% more races than there were ten years ago, so fair game.

But there's also now staff limits. That summer break isn't going anywhere, and if the number of races increases, that's only going to lead to more breaks.

I'm terribly disappointed NJ couldn't make it happen. There's no question the top half of the track was going to be a real issue for them. It's literally a residential neighborhood. "Oh don't mind us. We're just going to armco you into your house for the next three days". I have no idea how that could ever be made to work.

But there's also now staff limits. That summer break isn't going anywhere, and if the number of races increases, that's only going to lead to more breaks.

Sorry, I meant increases from the old standard of 16. 21 races, no three week gaps, one month-long summer break. That's what I want, that's what they've delivered.

Addnan

Lotus have secured a new Dubai based sponsor. James Allen thinks it worth a fair bit of money too.

KnbhLnl.jpg

http://www.lotusf1team.com/new-heights-with-emaar-properties.html

Pimpwerx

Random note, but how dumb is F1.com? It's been over 5 years, if not closer to a decade, that the sight has had live timing and a results database, but the damn main page still shows local times. Who the hell needs to see the local race times? I want the time for where I'm at. The local race times are all very similar anyway, so it's not like it adds any nuance. It's something that's bugged me for years, that I have to click the button each time I want to find the start times for my time zone.

Interesting post on twitter, makes you wonder if the New Jersey track was ever feasible.

https://twitter.com/virtualstatman

That sucks. It could have been nice to have another track in the US. PEACE.

Seanspeed

Banned
Some info from Finnish paper about possible Kimi Ferrari deal
Rough translation of partions of the text:

''According the sources of IS Sports it's Alonso that is most against Räikkönen coming back to Ferrari. He doesn't admit this publicly of course''

''Double worldchampion has notified Ferrari that he thinks continuing with Massa or hiring Hulkenberg would be better options''

'' Alonso doesn't have same kind of influence inside of Ferrari as before though and he hasn't veto right to certain things like before. He has only himself to blame''

''He acted very thoughtlessly when he publicly criticized Ferrari. Also Luca di Montezemolo didn't like it that he tried to aproach Red Bull''

''According IS Sport Ferrari has already made the decision to not to make contract with Massa. Especially team head Domenicalli has been thrilled about the chance to bring Räikkönen back.''

''Ferrari of course understands that having Alonso and Räikkönen as team mates would give them a very good chance to win constructor's title after a long time.''

''Still Maranello also is aware of the danger that Alonso could start to throw a tantrum in the same way as during his Mclaren year. Alonso knows that it's his reputation in line if he has to drive against Räikkönen with a same car without having clear position as a number one driver in a team''

''Now we just wait just how much Alonso still has power regarding this and what final decision di Montezemolon makes''
Sensationalist journalism at its best.

NHale

Sensationalist journalism at its best.

It must not be that far from the truth. As we've already seen with the Red Bull decision the divas want weaker teammates so they feel secure while being the main focus within the team.

While I would love Kimi's driving for a team with a bigger budget, it sucks to see him basically begging for a drive in a team that didn't blink when they had to get rid of him.

Hamilton:
Red Bull is massively quick but generally the car feels pretty good, so I need to sit and try to understand where we can go quicker. I feel like I'm on the limit everywhere and the car feels reasonably balanced so whether or not we've got too much wing we'll wait and see.

Right now it doesn't look massively strong for our chances but we'll do some work overnight, improve the set-up, hopefully improve the pace for tomorrow and again you don't know what fuel loads people are on so we'll wait and see.

So pretty much a guaranteed Mercedes pole for Sunday then. :D

Omiee

Pretty decent distance between vettel and the pack.

Hamilton will grab pole for sure again tomorrow but vettel should win.

Seanspeed

Banned
It must not be that far from the truth. As we've already seen with the Red Bull decision the divas want weaker teammates so they feel secure while being the main focus within the team.
I don't see how using blind speculation on why Red Bull went the way they did supports the notion at all.

Hammer24

Banned
We´re in for a very long and boring Sunday.
RBR doesn´t even trim their cars for topspeed anymore, just for laptime optimization. In race simulations they are 1sec faster than the Mercs, 1.5 than ALO.
Don´t expect too much from HAM, while he´s getting used to his car, he still doesn´t fully trust his brakes, and that's tantamount in Monza.

cmr-94

RBR doesn´t even trim their cars for topspeed anymore, just for laptime optimization. In race simulations they are 1sec faster than the Mercs, 1.5 than ALO.
Don´t expect too much from HAM, while he´s getting used to his car, he still doesn´t fully trust his brakes, and that's tantamount in Monza.

Good news!!

Only hope is rain

Omiee

that cant be true. 1 sec is to big of a gap on a circuit where rbr is known to not be the fastest.

Addnan

RBR have higher straight line speed than Ferrari who are doing the slipstream thing again. 337 Vettel on his own vs Alonso like 335 with Massa slipstream.

cmr-94

I'm pretty sure RB slowest on the speed traps and at end of the straigts but quickest at the finish line due to low gears. one of the reasons they are so quick in the final sector

RBR looks set to dominate. would be nice to see Ferrari win for a change but Vettel's over a half second quicker than everyone else. (Ill happily eat these words if Ferrari do something impressive in qualifying)

Hammer24

Banned
Vettel 3 tenths quicker in the final sector than anyone

Its said RBR found even more mechanical downforce with its diffusor. They can put the rear wing the flattest of all teams, and still have more grip.

ROS hydraulic failure, but they can´t find the source of the problem. :(

Omiee

Its said RBR found even more mechanical downforce with its diffusor. They can put the rear wing the flattest of all teams, and still have more grip.

ROS hydraulic failure, but they can´t find the source of the problem. :(

He is going even faster.

Alonso looks close so he might give vettel a hard time tomorrow

Top Bottom