• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

DD

You're right about the seat, I don't expect him to get a McLaren seat. More like a smaller team where his experience will make up for sheer results. Williams could use that (and money). Besides, we'd be rid of fucking Maldonado.

I just saw the photos of him and Domenicali that were posted today on formula1.com and now I'm sad. Felipe went throught the sort of injury that ends careers and still had the spirit to return. Like Lauda before him, you have to respect that. Lesser drivers would retire.
Massa has said that he don't want to jump to a team where he cannot fight for points, so I guess that it won't happen. I don't think that experienced drivers can fix a bad car, like Barrichello did not with Williams and Honda, for example.

About Maldonado, it is said that he wants Kimi's seat at Lotus, and that PDVSA had even agreed to provide all the money he need to achieve that.

Pretty good read on the BBC. This bit I liked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24048992

Todt said it in the time of hiring kimi.

Jean Todt: “Kimi fits better than Alonso in the philosophy of Ferrari, is the product of his personality,
his way of being, is modest and nothing arrogant.” (at the time of electing Kimi over Alonso)

Hulk had contract agreed with Ferrari in Hungary, was informed of Kimi taking the seat by text message.

Hard luck. Funny thing is that he dismissed Kimi just a month ago by saying that Kimi doesn't hold the key to the drivers market. Turns out that HE was the key, as soon as he made up his mind, Redbull announces Ricciardo, and now wait for McLaren confirming Button very soon, and Lotus now looking for a driver, Hulk is screwed, Massa is out. All this is happening because Kimi decided to move..

Oh, and we need to send Whitmarsh some crow for saying Kimi won't succeed in moving teams.. LOL ..

Todt said it in the time of hiring kimi.

Hard luck. Funny thing is that he dismissed Kimi just a month ago by saying that Kimi doesn't hold the key to the drivers market. Turns out that HE was the key, as soon as he made up his mind, Redbull announces Ricciardo, and now wait for McLaren confirming Button very soon, and Lotus now looking for a driver, Hulk is screwed, Massa is out. All this is happening because Kimi decided to move..

Oh, and we need to send Whitmarsh some crow for saying Kimi won't succeed in moving teams.. LOL ..

Maybe Whitmarsh knew that Ferrari had an agreement with Hulkenberg. Then again, he might just be an idiot.

DD

Eric Boulier said in a french radio that Massa is on the list to take Raikkonen's seat along with Hulkemberg. And he said that Kimi's departure might be good to Grosjean, so he will be able to prove that he can lead the team.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Been wondering today how will Mercedes hide their engine secrets from Honda... This could be very interesting in 2014.

And he said that Kimi's departure might be good to Grosjean, so he will be able to prove that he can lead the team.
Maybe in F1 on his PS3/X360/PC

All this is happening because Kimi decided to move..

Not to sound like a Shaneus
lol
, but Kimi wasn't the catalyst in all of this.

You have to remember that Webber's retirement triggered everything else happening right now.

Webber announces retirement
Rumors of Alonso, Kimi and Ricciardo vouching for his seat
RBR announces Ricciardo as replacement
Massa announces he's leaving Ferrari
Kimi gets announced as Massas replacement
Other teams/drivers scrambling now for 2014

Addnan

W7yhEes.jpg

<3

Is Eddie Jordan really suggesting McLaren would take Alsono back in 2015. To be fair though crazier shit just happened with Kimi going back to Ferrari.

And where would he go, I asked? "McLaren-Honda," EJ replied.

TCRS

Banned
A similar situation in 2007 resulted in the most hilarious ending ever. Kimi wins the championship by a single point ahead of both McLaren drivers with the exact same number of points. What are the odds of that, I still find it amazing.

Ce-Lin

so much talk here, but Kimi returning "home" means that RBR won't walk away that easily with the constructor championship in 2014, they can't afford now to put all the eggs on Vettel' basket because Ferrari will get a lot of points with ALO + RAI, Alonso is not crying, he is mature enough to face any driver now don't take for granted he's not going to deliver, you might get surprised... but the ones with a headache are RBR principals now, they can't win just with VET, not upgrading Webber' car was allowed as long as Massa was driving for Ferrari, now the game has changed.

Boullier singing praises of Kimi which is nice to see.

Dominicali almost confirms that Allison was a huge part of choosing Kimi

Both articles from Autosport

NHale

But Stefano is still in the saddle. I do not know what is this guy doing to LdM to keep his position...

Probably has pictures of LdM in a thematic Max Mosley party...

Hulk had contract agreed with Ferrari in Hungary, was informed of Kimi taking the seat by text message.

Contract? Or was it a letter of intent like Vettel has with Ferrari? Because everything I heard was that they signed a letter of intent which was basically only agreed terms in the case Ferrari opted to chose Hulkenberg. I can't wait for Hammer post on this matter...

That and of course what is Luis Garcia Abad doing in Japan. Maybe he's trying to find a hotel for the Japan GP or maybe he's going to TGS.

Ce-Lin

Do you genuinely believe this crap that you're typing? Utterly insane.

Certainly they are not in a rush to upgrade both cars equally, no one but Fernando alone is pushing them. Apart from that I wouldn't call other opinions different from mine "crap" but hey, suit yourself.

It's full on tinfoil hat batshit mentalism.

Ignoring the fact that you've got the most outspoken and opinionated driver in F1 being screwed over and keeping quiet (in your scenario), at which point do they decide that they've won the constructors and can start fucking Mark? First race? Half way through? Last couple? Aside of course from McLaren being just as much of a competitor for the championship up until last year.

Webber said it himself, he's not as fast as he was. There's no conspiracy, they started with Webber being the strongest of the two and whilst Vettel has matured, Webber has slowed (which is only natural at the end of your sporting career).

It's full on tinfoil hat batshit mentalism.

Ignoring the fact that you've got the most outspoken and opinionated driver in F1 being screwed over and keeping quiet (in your scenario), at which point do they decide that they've won the constructors and can start fucking Mark? First race? Half way through? Last couple? Aside of course from McLaren being just as much of a competitor for the championship up until last year.

Webber said it himself, he's not as fast as he was. There's no conspiracy, they started with Webber being the strongest of the two and whilst Vettel has matured, Webber has slowed (which is only natural at the end of your sporting career).

The fanfic that gets created to discredit Vettel's speed is impressive.Every year it becomes more fiction than before.

dubc35

http://i.imgur.com/W7yhEes.jpg

<3

Is Eddie Jordan really suggesting McLaren would take Alsono back in 2015.
To be fair though crazier shit just happened with Kimi going back to Ferrari.

ALO has said he wants to retire fro FER. At his age I'm not sure I see him moving teams in another year. Who knows though, non of us saw RAI going back to FER last year. Shit has gotten real, lol.

ALO has said he wants to retire fro FER. At his age I'm not sure I see him moving teams in another year. Who knows though, non of us saw RAI going back to FER last year. Shit has gotten real, lol.

Everyone at a top team says they want to retire there. The part they always leave out is "unless another top team is willing to take me." Except for Rubens, who just never wanted to retire.

Pimpwerx

Been wondering today how will Mercedes hide their engine secrets from Honda... This could be very interesting in 2014.

Probably the way they protect them now. I assume lots of legal wording and they probably have a representative on each team. PEACE.

I like that someone other the broken spirit of Massa is at Ferrari...especially a guy like KImi,whose a jerk, and because of that,wont take any BS from a diva like Alonso.

Ce-Lin

who did this ? we need the 2014 version ! it was brilliant, the faces of Alonso (bottom right corner) and Button always get me

8u1j7.jpg

If I am cboat, then Fernando's salty tears are by bidet. If doesn't have his regular meltdowns next year then the crap is gonna get crusty, thankfully the odds are on my side. For some reason I just love it when he throws a fit, I dunno exactly why.

Kworn

Banned
Radio to KR: "Kimi, Fernando is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message"
KR reply: "Leave Me Alone I Know What I'm Doing"

pappe

I think Ferrari signing Kimi is indication that Ferrari are more serious about winning the Constructors Championship rather than the Drivers. The pressure on them to win it would be more and only until and unless either 1 of their drivers is completely out of the running of winning the drivers title the team will avoid team orders.

Hammer24

Banned
Radio Pitlane:
- joke #1: When HUL drives for LOT next year, is he then getting even more money not paid?
- joke #2: When RAI drives for FER next year, does Smedley get a headset without a mike? (Smedley is said to be the most talkative race engineer)
- Sirotkin had his first full weekend with SAU. Face it guys, he´s set. Did some pitstop training.
- the RAI deal: MAS got the permission, to make it all official. So he tweeted his goodbye. About two and a half hours later the HUL management got an SMS (text message), that the contract talks will not go further. To clarify: nothing had been signed, no contract, no LOI, nothing. They had a verbal agreement what the contract would look like, and FER withheld the right to announce at its own leisure. They signaled, if they would do so, the earliest would be in Hungary. HUL management a bit pissed, that they didn´t even call, only texted them. But in the end the whole thing was just that, talk. My take is, the HUL management took this way more serious than FER ever did.
- the MAL baby is there! He got a little girl about 48h after race finish.
- Horner is also becoming a dad
- regarding the election for FIA president, there seems to be a momentum swing towards Todt
- Rory Byrne (still working part time for FER) said, he expects next years cars to be around 4 to 5 sec slower per lap. Some Merc people smiled...
- New Jersey track is still a thing, its chances said to be 50:50. Would get added either directly before or after Canada GP. Only issue is money, as its said the track could be ready within 3 months
- WEB not getting emotional. They threw him a party in the upper story of the RBR motor home, marking his goodbye from the European circuit. He didn´t much care, said he´d still be driving for Porsche on some of the tracks.
- interesting tidbit regarding the RIC to RBR thing: the official press release and following material only had quotes from Horner and Newey, markedly there were no quotes from Mateschitz and Marko
- Bernie will do a charity in London on 30th November for Whitings cancer trust. Admission costs 5000 GBP. Bernie said, every driver to not show up would be fined 25000 GBP.

- Rory Byrne (still working part time for FER) said, he expects next years cars to be around 4 to 5 sec slower per lap. Some Merc people smiled...

lol

- interesting tidbit regarding the RIC to RBR thing: the official press release and following material only had quotes from Horner and Newey, markedly there were no quotes from Mateschitz and Marko

Surely it's exactly what Marko wanted? Any other decision would have undermined his young driver program.

They are such good friends that the wonderkid had to veto Kimi as his teammate.

Everything points to that particular deal falling apart from the Raikkonon side of things so I'm not sure where you're getting that impression.

ramparter

Banned
Nearly impossible to say which constructor will be strongest next year. Everything points to Mercedes, but then with that driver lineup you really can't count out Ferrari and you'd have to be an idiot to discount the team that's managed to out develop everyone else for the last four years.
I think Mercedes also has a very powerful duo. Rosberg has already proven that he can be on par with Lewis, I expect great things from him when they get things right.

Anyway I'd like to believe next year teams will be very close like in 2009 (I remember in some qualys all 20 drivers times were less than a second from the pole). But all this Mercedes engine stuff have scared me. I hope there's a lot of bluffing behind.

I think Mercedes also has a very powerful duo. Rosberg has already proven that he can be on par with Lewis, I expect great things from him when they get things right.

Anyway I'd like to believe next year teams will be very close like in 2009 (I remember in some qualys all 20 drivers times were less than a second from the pole). But all this Mercedes engine stuff have scared me. I hope there's a lot of bluffing behind.

I still can't see how the Mercedes engine is that amazing, that it outclasses everyone else. Besides, speed was never the problem. Mercedes already had the fastest engines last year.

2 ) In July of 2012, before leaving for the London Olympics , I go to dinner with Stefano Domenicali . The other two diners were my lady and Fernando Alonso , who was celebrating his birthday.

3 ) We agreed ( conditio sine qua non , that we are here ourselves) that we would not have talked about F1. And so it was . With one exception. I asked Fernando: if in the future you have a chance of getting Raikkonen as your team mate, would you take it???

4 ) Response Alonso : It is not true that I am scare, all the mess with Hamilton was born because the entire team was deployed with him. If Kimi came here I would not have any problems, we think. we respect each other , then you'll see who goes on the race track faster .

http://blog.quotidiano.net/turrini/2013/09/12/ecco-tutti-i-segreti-del-kimi-bis/

Top Bottom