• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

I think the rumor is just one final farewell drive at Interlagos. Unless Rubens has found wallet the size of Air Petrov's I can't imagine they think he's a long term prospect. Though on the other hand, with Hulk off and Gutierrez quite useless, maybe Sirotken's sponsorship will allow for a seasoned hand along side the young Russian.

Hammer24

Banned
MAS and BAR are both fighting for sponsor money right now. Both are said to be around 10mil $. Any rumor concerning them securing a seat is 99% bs spread by their camps to secure some more cash. I do not expect any of the two to race F1 next year.

One intriguing note on all of this comes from Italy, where former team owner Giancarlo Minardi spoke to Gazzetta dello Sport after Singapore and observed that he had been trackside in a hospitality unit and heard what he thought sounded like traction control, a stuttering sound in the exhaust note of Vettel’s car, during the post safety car period.

Needless to say this has picked up some echoes around the internet, as everyone looks for reasons for Vettel’s dominance. While there does seem to be some work being undertaken in engine mapping to work around the ban on exhaust blowing, which may have contributed to the strange sound, the issue of traction control is broadly taken care of by the common Electronic Control Unit, which is manufactured for the FIA by McLaren Electronics. Because the unit is specified and the same for every team, it is hard to conceal a traction control command in what is essentially a spec part.

Rather than traction control, some kind of mapping to blow into the exhaust within the rules is more likely and this all fits with the corner exit work that Red Bull has been carrying out.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/09/analysis-vettels-astonishing-speed-in-singapore-here-to-stay/

Funnily enough, it's not the first time RB traction control has been mentioned.

There's a picture of Webber's car leaving spaced wheelspin trails in this very thread.

webber-traction-contratjgi.jpg

This is not TC for what it's worth... but we do like a good conspiracy!

Addnan

His weight is 80KG, which I guess is considered a little too high for an F1 driver. Most drivers seem to be sub 70 and some even less than 60KG.

NHale

@PitLaneTalk

Can we go back to Estoril now?

No. If anything the Algarve circuit is better suited for F1 and could actually be interesting. But this country doesn't have any money to spend on F1.

The Felix da Costa news is no surprise. He is the new Helmut Marko golden boy and even with a down year he always had his support. The deal was sealed with the good results at Paul Ricard like they promised him before the Summer break.

The doubt now at STR is if Vergne, Hulk or Kvyat will get the 2nd seat. McLaren is trying to find a place for Magnussen but apparently Caterham is the only viable option for him (with McLaren paying for that seat).

dubc35

It's looking like rain on Saturday and Sunday in Korea. Localized thunderstorms over Vettel's RB9? lol

e* from the HUL weight discussion earlier:

jjGBeKC.png

It's not really about the minimum car / driver weight though is it. It's more about size and weight distribution. Flexibility on ballast placement is very, very important.

They should really just leave driver weight out of the equation. It'll always be a disadvantage to be heavier, but at least it wouldn't be tied to ballast placement.

EDIT: Now that I actually think about it, that might be actually worse.

More rumours that Gillette will be McLaren's new title sponsor.

auto-motor-und-sport also report that FI still owe McLaren money for gearboxes and hydraulic systems. Magnussen in FI to clear the debt?

Massa and Magnussen would be a step up on their current lineup.

No Reuben's or senna please.

Senna is a 3rd tier driver. He's been able to use the name plenty.

Rubens at his best was 2nd tier and now too old.

F1 needs to give younger and current gifted talent a shot.

Didn't his car flip during the warm up laps and didn't start in the actual race?

Edit: I might have mixed them up since the crashes look so similar

Webber's car flipped twice in separate incidents in practice/qualifying/warmup not sure of the exact sessions. Mercedes blamed him and he didn't start the race. Of course Peter Dumbreck took off into the trees during the race confirming the error in the aero on the car!

Would be surprised if it goes ahead then.

Assuming they can do qualifying, how does that work with regard to points? Results from qualifying or no results at all?

Cuddler

Would be surprised if it goes ahead then.

Assuming they can do qualifying, how does that work with regard to points? Results from qualifying or no results at all?

I don't know for sure, but I think no results at all. And I agree with you, obviously the forecasts can always change, but right now, I think that there is a huge possibility that there will be no race this week.

Dead Man

Webber's car flipped twice in separate incidents in practice/qualifying/warmup not sure of the exact sessions. Mercedes blamed him and he didn't start the race. Of course Peter Dumbreck took off into the trees during the race confirming the error in the aero on the car!

Yep, utterly pathetic response from Merc on that, even if they didn't think it was their design, to blame a driver for that kind of incident is ludicrous.

Top Bottom