• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Lach

I just realized that quali will be 7am and the race 8am for me....I for some reason thought they'd be in the evenings...

Not sure if it's worth skipping a lie-in yet because the combination of this season and the track is not very promising.

The only good memory I have of Korea is from our F1 2011 league event (all races, 3 laps each in one go) where half of the drivers were disqualified for going the wrong way!

The "1" documentary came out yesterday (iTunes/US only for now <-- stupid as hell).

Trailer

I watched it last night, and thought was was pretty good. Certainly a fairly high budget affair. Narrated by Fassbender, cameos by lots of people you don't often see showing up in these things. Graphics, music, general production all very nice.

It covers F1 from Fangio to modern day, although not a lot of the later. Probably because it mostly focuses on safety through the years. Already well documented incidents make up the bulk of the focus. Clark, Ickx vs. Stewart, Rindt, Williamson, Cevert, Lauda, Peterson, Senna. Sprinkled in between is your general F1 history.

For me personally, it falls short of greatness for a few reasons.

1. The editing is not very good. Whether it's the million cuts per minute, or the odd placement of non-chronological events in a linear story path.

2. It covers zero new ground. Thankfully that's at least partially remedied by all the great cameos from people like Max, Bernie, Emo, Hesketh, John Watson, etc.

3. Motor racing used to be very dangerous has now been beaten to death. No mas.

None of this is to say I didn't like it though. I did, and whenever it becomes available to you (I think I read two weeks somewhere), you should check it out for yourselves. The trailer is very representative, and It's an hour and fifty minutes of that. Good stuff.

Omiee

Racecar Engineering has a nice explenation for the "TC" system of the Red Bulls.

lol who actually believes this shit? Maybe alonso but nobody else should believe this. Since if this happened mclaren would have spilled everything since they should be able to see it.

Pretty interesting. Torque output governed by KERS system and suspension loads, essentially bypassing the ECU (I think I'm understanding that right). These guys are really clever.

dubc35

Pretty interesting. Torque output governed by KERS system and suspension loads, essentially bypassing the ECU (I think I'm understanding that right). These guys are really clever.

I haven't read the article but wouldn't the ECU be dictating torque output even if KERS and suspension loads were taken into account?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The "1" documentary came out yesterday (iTunes/US only for now <-- stupid as hell).

Trailer

I watched it last night, and thought was was pretty good. Certainly a fairly high budget affair. Narrated by Fassbender, cameos by lots of people you don't often see showing up in these things. Graphics, music, general production all very nice.

It covers F1 from Fangio to modern day, although not a lot of the later. Probably because it mostly focuses on safety through the years. Already well documented incidents make up the bulk of the focus. Clark, Ickx vs. Stewart, Rindt, Williamson, Cevert, Lauda, Peterson, Senna. Sprinkled in between is your general F1 history.

For me personally, it falls short of greatness for a few reasons.

1. The editing is not very good. Whether it's the million cuts per minute, or the odd placement of non-chronological events in a linear story path.

2. It covers zero new ground. Thankfully that's at least partially remedied by all the great cameos from people like Max, Bernie, Emo, Hesketh, John Watson, etc.

3. Motor racing used to be very dangerous has now been beaten to death. No mas.

None of this is to say I didn't like it though. I did, and whenever it becomes available to you (I think I read two weeks somewhere), you should check it out for yourselves. The trailer is very representative, and It's an hour and fifty minutes of that. Good stuff.

Looking forward to watching it when it is released outside of iTunes.

I haven't read the article but wouldn't the ECU be dictating torque output even if KERS and suspension loads were taken into account?

It's pretty brief, but here's the quote:

It is theoretically easy to modulate the output torque and charging input torque to an electric motor/generator using capacitors, batteries, inductors and a feedback signal. Torque changes are instant and control is easy and legal.

If torque were to be modulated in response to the normal force of the tires against the track (in response to shock pressure for example) significant unused traction potential could be recovered during high pressure phases (upside of bumps) and initiation of full wheel spin during low pressure phases (downside of bumps) could be delayed. Yielding better turn exit acceleration, higher cornering speeds and stability. Especially on bumpy tracks like Singapore.

According to this article, somehow they're separating the engine output from the driven wheels using their KERS system. Maybe like reverse harvesting, or possibly actual harvesting takes place when unwanted torque is detected (example from suspension loading). You'd have to know the rules as well as Newey to see the crack they slipped through!

Shaneus

Could it be that system which had an effect on Webber's starts? I wonder if his inability to adjust to the system (if it's something that needs to be adjusted to) caused either the continuous mechanical or performance issues?

I genuinely don't know, so I'm hoping someone here can educate me a bit.

cmr-94

BVpsWLbCQAAOWO7.jpg:medium

Jibbed

Bianchi still at Marussia for next season

Not sure what Ferrari wants to do with him now, probably keep it just in case Alonso or Raikkonen left at the end of the 2014 season.

There's a good article on Autosport+ about the shortage of test milage for rookies and it goes some way in explaining why Bianchi is staying there for now (and how he almost didn't make it in the first place!).

What McLaren is experiencing now is only the thin end of the wedge. It's not the only team in this position. Ferrari has the promising Jules Bianchi on its books, but it was through luck rather than its own judgement that the Frenchman washed up at Marussia this year - had Luiz Razia's backers stumped up the cash, Bianchi would be at best a Friday driver for Force India.

Obviously the costs saved by limited in-season testing are huge, but it's seriously damaging the prospects of the new generation of drivers. Red Bull is unique in that it can essentially groom drivers in Toro Rosso before choosing whether to move them up to RBR or send them packing.

Milchjon

I'm not following it closely, but apparently it went something like this

After dominating the floodlit grand prix, German Vettel explained Red Bull's advantage by insisting that while his team works "very hard", the others are "hanging their balls in the pool very early on Fridays".

It may have been a joke, but Mercedes' Rosberg did not laugh.

"Maybe he shouldn't be thinking about my balls," he is quoted on Thursday by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

Ce-Lin

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/8953870/Hamilton-There-s-No-Stopping-Vettel

Hamilton on Vettel' RBR (again)

Asked whether Vettel's pace in Singapore was a fluke, the Mercedes driver said: "I don't think so personally, I think that is the true pace of their car," conceded Hamilton.

"Perhaps they have a lot more in the bag than we get to see so he was just cruising.

"If you look at their onboards, he is on the power full throttle at least twenty metres before everyone else, which is a huge advantage.

"There's nothing we can really do, we are always asking for more rear downforce.

"The last time I could put down the pedal that quick was in 2007 when we had traction control."

if it was Alonso this concerned about RBR people would be bitching again with the overused "toys" and "pram" throwing stuff.

Milchjon

Maybe it's not that Vettel is better because of his car, it's that his car is better because of Vettel. He's probably secretly some mad engineering genius.

Omiee

Vettel is not denying rumors that they are using different engine mapping compared to other teams which gave them a boost

Vettel himself also brushed off talk of his outfit doing anything illegal, and said that any clever engine mapping his team used was something he and his team should be praised for.

"We are pretty proud of the system we have because other people will never figure out how we've done it," he said. "Constantly we try to improve the car. That's part of the homework that we have to do."

I wonder how long they have been using this or if its something they tested at singapore.

Pimpwerx

Man, I'm really starting to get tired of Will Buxton. He gets no respect in the paddock, and his cut-ins are almost always for something stupid and pointless. It's not like when SPEED had Peter Windsor and they'd cut to him for some notable information from someone important in the paddock. Will's contributions are trivial at best, and I'm hoping they dump him for next season and hire a former open-wheel racer who can get closer to the people that matter. PEACE.

Top Bottom