• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

EJ saying Hulk to Force India done :/

mystic_ed9nqc3.jpg

lotus is a sinking ship so it makes sense for the hulk to go to force india.

don't they have a technical partnership with mercedes from next year?

the hulk will use them as a stepping stone to get rosberg's seat at mercedes.

Lach

Well...EJ has been right too much lately to doubt him.

I would have hoped Sauber's recent progress could encourage Hulk to stay if he couldn't find a better car. With the russian money coming in they have a really good chance to carry the good form on to next season....Would be really sad to have two medicore drivers race for them next season...

apotema

Sebastian-Vettel-Red-Bull-winning-pose.jpg

Continuing with the tradition

On a side note: Gutierrez did an incredible job, Sauber may be able to pass Force India if the momentum continues, maybe McLaren!

Ce-Lin

forgot to post this earlier this morning, sorry for the translation, it should be available in your favorite English site

snippets from Martin Whitmarsh interview, of course you guys know better than him so maybe it's just a waste of time.

http://motor.as.com/motor/2013/10/13/formula_1/1381619982_485117.html

Q: How would you explain RBR domination ? is it Vettel, Newey, or both ?

A: I'd say they are spending an absurd amount of money compared to the rest of the teams, this is the main factor in my opinion.

Apart from that, yes, Adrian is a key asset, Vettel maybe is not getting the credit he deserves. If you compare him to Alonso you see that Alonso gets more points than his actual car could ever get, on the other hand we all have the feeling Vettel gets the points his car allows, even though Vettel is doing a great job Fernando is going beyond all that, I'd say Alonso is responsible for Vettel not getting the whole media and fans' attention.

Q: Do you think Alonso could ever go back to McLaren ?

A: Not now, if he was without a seat... of course, it would be fantastic, every team principal says they would kill to have him on board, he always gets the car on Sundays in a position you would think impossible minutes before the race. A strong driver, a smart competitor, experienced, fierce and compromised, no one else makes the most out of the machinery... but there is this thing called contract and we can't break that, who knows in 2015.

Q: So was it a mistake to let him go after 2007 ?

A: I've always regretted that, he's become stronger and smarter with every race if that was possible, it was a huge mistake.

Q: Honda seems to want Fernando back in McLaren no matter what...

A: Of course ! but as I said McLaren want him too ! but the sad reality is that the contract with Ferrari is there for all to see, not an option for 2014.

Q: Who is the best driver nowadays ?

A: Alonso just because, as I stated, he is capable of getting the impossible out of the cars he drives, even average cars, this might sound rude to Ferrari but that's for all to see too.

Q: But Vettel has won 3 WDCs and is the new 2013-14 WDC...

A: Yes of course, but he drives a much better car than the rest, that is a huge factor, he's doing a good job with it no doubt, both Alonso and Vettel are at the top.

Shaneus

Second stint engineer says they have to switch to 3 stops. Webber questions it, thinks he might be able to make it. RBR says it will work out fine, so he stops.
Ah. In your opinion, do you reckon he could have? And would that have won him the race?

(I'm sorry for asking all this shit, it's not likely I'll find any info like it online and the only people who would really know are those who watched it. I don't think I can be bothered :/ )

“Unfortunately the time he lost behind Grosjean didn’t enable him to hunt down Sebastian over those last few laps,” said Horner, adding the prospect of his drivers fighting for victory in the final laps “would have been uncomfortable but they would have been free to do over the remaining laps”.
Oh, like they would've let either of them hunt each other down. The car's always been pushed that bloody close (apparently) each race, they would've found any excuse to get them to not do it.

Ah. In your opinion, do you reckon he could have? And would that have won him the race?

(I'm sorry for asking all this shit, it's not likely I'll find any info like it online and the only people who would really know are those who watched it. I don't think I can be bothered :/ )

Oh, like they would've let either of them hunt each other down. The car's always been pushed that bloody close (apparently) each race, they would've found any excuse to get them to not do it.

Woulda' coulda shoulda' again...fact is Vettel got by RG immediately where as Webber wasted most of his tires doing so.

Addnan

Hard to say, his first stop was really early and so he would have had to look after his tyres a lot in the second stint which you know he's not that great at doing. and yeah he should have got Grosjean within 2 laps and not the 5+ it took him in the end. By the time he got passed him it was too late.

I really couldn't have seen Webber managing 24 laps on those tyres. At the end of the day they tried for the undercut and failed (Webber needed to drive the wheels off it in those 3 laps between his and Grosjean's pit stop) and from that point on it was always going to be a struggle to eke out two stops whilst wrecking his tyres in Grosjean's dirty air.

As for choice, he pitted first so I can only assume that was his decision at that point. Either way, it's telling that Vettel cruised past Grosjean on hards (8 laps newer) and Webber took 5 laps to do it on mediums which were 13 laps newer.

I really couldn't have seen Webber managing 24 laps on those tyres. At the end of the day they covered off Grosjean's stop and it was a mistake to do so (reminiscent of Ferrari at Abu Dhabi), from that point on it was always going to be a struggle to eke out two stops whilst wrecking his tyres in Grosjean's dirty air.

As for choice, he pitted first so I can only assume that was his decision at that point. Either way, it's telling that Vettel cruised past Grosjean on hards (8 laps newer) and Webber took 5 laps to do it on mediums which were 13 laps newer.

BRO! NOT THE SAME CAR! RED BULL HELLA SCREWED OVER WEBBER! CALLED LOTUS TO LET VETTEL BY DUDE!

Webber was also driving with less downforce than Vettel.

There is no reason to believe that Webber would overtake Romain with a two stops strategy after he failed in the first half of the race, so it was a smart movie to go for 3 stops.

But Webber has the talent to turn every strategy into an "inferior strategy".

Business

forgot to post this earlier this morning, sorry for the translation, it should be available in your favorite English site

snippets from Martin Whitmarsh interview, of course you guys know better than him so maybe it's just a waste of time.

Huge praise by Whitmarsh. They must be close to sign him if not already done.

Ark

Why would Alonso want to go back to McLaren?

Why?

• Maybe McLaren will come back with vengeance next season.
  • Maybe Mercedes will be super fucking quick next season.
  • Maybe Ferrari with Kimi will be awe-inspiringly amazing next season.
  • Maybe RBR and Vettel won't be making the sport boring as fuck next season.

I'm tired of saying all of the above year after year only to have it thrown back in my face. I won't be watching India, because it's a pile of shit, but I'm so bored of this setup. Vettel & Pirelli have really made F1 a boring side-show. Don't get me wrong, Vettel has bags of talent and RBR has bags of money too, but forgive me for wanting some actual competition. I'm happy with Vettel winning, it's a treat to watch someone like that race, but I want some variation in the race & championship results.

I must be missing something, because I thought the last two races were actually pretty good. Do you people really just care about the championship and nothing else? There was loads of really exciting races all through the field in these last two.

Hell, even Singapore wasn't bad assuming you ignored first place.

Dilly

Banned
I must be missing something, because I thought the last two races were actually pretty good. Do you people really just care about the championship and nothing else? There was loads of really exciting races all through the field in these last two.

Hell, even Singapore wasn't bad assuming you ignored first place.

Yes.

2007, 2008 and 2009 were amazing seasons.

I don't recall 2009 being a particularly good season, but I can understand it if what makes a season worth watching is championships being tight.

Though with that said, why not 2012 which went right to the line too?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Why is Lotus a sinking ship? I thought now that Raikkonen is gone so is their biggest expense.
Drivers don't make a team sucessful IMO, Its the team behind the scenes.
There has been a massive brain drain from Lotus this year with uncertainty over the future of the team.
Ferrari have taken on 2 of the best engineers in James Allison & Dirk De Beer.

TCRS

Banned
What a great race, I fucking love Suzuka. Especially Grosjean, Alonso, Hulkenburg and Gutierrez were brilliant. but Vettel and Webber weren't bad either.

Love these traditional tracks.

went to sleep when it was clear who was gonna win around lap 28

Around lap 28 I thought they'd made a major mistake with Vettel's strategy as Webber was lapping a second and a half quicker than him. How on earth did you know he was going to win at that point?

Dilly

Banned
I don't recall 2009 being a particularly good season, but I can understand it if what makes a season worth watching is championships being tight.

Though with that said, why not 2012 which went right to the line too?

Because that was an obvious outcome, if Alonso had a car to challenge at Interlagos, it would've been exciting.

It was obvious Alonso wasn't going to be WC after being punted by Grosjean.

Because that was an obvious outcome, if Alonso had a car to challenge at Interlagos, it would've been exciting.

It was obvious Alonso wasn't going to be WC after being punted by Grosjean.

But up until two races before that point it was still crazily close. Surely you wouldn't rate the whole season based on the result of the final two races?

NHale

Why would Alonso want to go back to McLaren?

Why?

Because he has to worry about his future considering Ferrari still didn't showed signs of solving their infrastructure and staff problems and Vettel arrives at Maranello in 2015 or 2016...

McLaren with Honda + Santander + Coca-Cola money is very appealing I would think.

Dilly

Banned
But up until two races before that point it was still crazily close. Surely you wouldn't rate the whole season based on the result of the final two races?

Yeah, because Ferrari was sure to keep up RB's pace of development with their awesome wind tunnel.

So I just did.

Vettel, Pirelli, DRS, it made F1 crap to watch. Too bad it took me a few years to figure that out.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Can't wait to see new Ferrari windtunnel. Probably powered by fairies if we look how long it took them to build it.

Top Bottom