• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

ramparter

Banned
Gotta admit that, the season started with 4 teams at about equal pace, Ferrari and Lotus actually looked to have less problems than Merc and RBR. Then came midseason development....

Well, the most people thought the new tires would help Mercedes the most.

They were in a different league in Q3. 9 poles (5 for Hamilton, 4 for Rosberg) vs. 3 Vettel poles until the Italy GP.

I'm still all for stripping Vettel of his wins.

Nonsense. The season got boring due to his domination, but stripping his wins wouldn't change the previous boring races, nor would it be satisfying.

Sebastian Vettel is an amazing driver with an amazing car and a great team behind him. It's not his fault that the other teams can't keep up.

Nonsense. The season got boring due to his domination, but stripping his wins wouldn't change the previous boring races, nor would it be satisfying.

Sebastian Vettel is an amazing driver with an amazing car and a great team behind him. It's not his fault that the other teams can't keep up.

You're right.

Let's whipe his entire existence out of history.

LeBoef

Lance_Armstrong_2472604b.jpg

Question: Why is there no discussion of the same thing being on Webber's car? Does he not have it on his?

Red Bull is clearly super racist towards Australians, giving Vettel all the good parts and Webbah all the shitty ones, like the broken KERS systems.

Ricciardo was only signed by RBR to torment the Australian people even more.

Shaneus

No, they keep it from Webber. It's not like he wanted it, which is why he hasn't complained about Vettel getting a better car.

(Come on, seriously?)
Seriously. I'm not going for some angle with this, I'm just curious why there's more talk about "Vettel's car" than "the RB9". Maybe it's down to driving style that it's not evident/beneficial/obvious with Webber, I dunno.

Not everything I say has some kind of slant, you know :p

http://www.imotortimes.com/red-bull...elievable-corner-exit-mark-webber-video-17615

There was a conspiracy about Webber's car after the Canada race.

But it's way more effective for the conspiracy if you don't just talk about TC but also add a only the evil Vettel gets the fast car sidestory.
Ah, I either didn't see that or we didn't make a big deal of it here when it occurred. Strange that it doesn't seem to be mentioned along with the Singapore talk.

Well, Webber was never that slower than Vettel in the last races - at least in clean air.

Either he uses it too or the system is pretty subpar.

moojito

Surely with all those kers failures it'll be the case that they test the new stuff out on Webber's car and once it's stable, bung it in Seb's.

Question: Why is there no discussion of the same thing being on Webber's car? Does he not have it on his?
The only speculation I've read is that the 'system' is obviously very costly to produce and with the constructors championship looking the way it is, there's no reason for RBR to waste money manufacturing a second gizmo.

Risgroo

I've been watching a few older races lately, currently at the 2005 season. The racing was very different back then, not a lot of overtaking, though it's more exciting when someone finally gets past! Best race of that season has to be Suzuka, sensational driving by Kimi to take Fisi on the final lap. Also, Jenson was actually pretty good at commentary during the Monaco GP, I'd love to see him in the commentary box or pitlane once he's done racing. Preferably alongside DC for maximum man love.

So F1 2013 Classic is pretty good. Breathes "new" life into an otherwise stale formula. Took the Lotus 100T out on Brand's Hatch for a timed lap and the experience was awesome. Ill get dozens of hours of gameplay just from that component of the game. Sucks that there's no Mclaren though, manufacturer's giving licensing rights to a publisher is fucking bullshit. (EA and Porsche, I'm looking at you)

Ce-Lin

Gotta admit that, the season started with 4 teams at about equal pace, Ferrari and Lotus actually looked to have less problems than Merc and RBR. Then came midseason development....

and new tyres, Pirelli boss warned they would massively benefit RBR, and he wasn't wrong, and yeah that RBR car has some wonderful and trickery engineering allowing Vettel to match Button as an average driver winning WDC with ease, where is Button now when the white Brawn magic vanished ? in the same place Vettel will find himself sooner or later.

and new tyres, Pirelli boss warned they would massively benefit RBR, and he wasn't wrong, and yeah that RBR car has some wonderful and trickery engineering allowing Vettel to match Button as an average driver winning WDC with ease, where is Button now when the white Brawn magic vanished ? in the same place Vettel will find himself sooner or later.

No panic! Vettel did very well with BMW and Toro Rosso.

Though it's possible that he will drive some very bad cars in the future. Can't be helped, that's part of the life of a racing driver.

Massa

dawson-crying-300x225.jpg

Ce-Lin

I called it during the Singapore GP, the cockpit camera of Vettel was a joke, that car was on rails accelerating like mad while staying meters off the walls, the rest making corrections and gently pushing on the gas pedal, so after reading all the magnificent articles posted these past days on Vettel RBR I'm glad I'm not alone, and every day more engineers agree, it's clear they went through some creative and legal ways to achieve an illegal advantage such as traction control, too late to do anything about it though, they should give the trophy to the minds behind this brilliant, yet illegal since they're achieving TC after all, piece of engineering.

Remember Lewis' comments some days after Singapore, saying the same as I stated here live during the GP, the cockpit camera was rather telling and "the last time I (Lewis) was able to accelerate that fast was back when he had traction control", but of course you all drove more GPs than Lewis and he deserves that childish crying.jpg for doubting Vettel ability to magically drive 2 seconds a lap faster than the rest whenever he needs it, pure talent yep.

Omiee

man your posts are hilarious. it almost feels like you're really alonso posting bullshit excuses.

I called it during the Singapore GP, the cockpit camera of Vettel was a joke, that car was on rails accelerating like mad while staying meters off the walls, the rest making corrections and gently pushing on the gas pedal, so after reading all the magnificent articles posted these past days on Vettel RBR I'm glad I'm not alone, and every day more engineers agree, it's clear they went through some creative and legal ways to achieve an illegal advantage such as traction control, too late to do anything about it though, they should give the trophy to the minds behind this brilliant, yet illegal since they're achieving TC after all, piece of engineering.

Remember Lewis' comments some days after Singapore, saying the same as I stated here live during the GP, the cockpit camera was rather telling and "the last time I (Lewis) was able to accelerate that fast was back when he had traction control", but of course you all drove more GPs than Lewis and he deserves that childish crying.jpg for doubting Vettel ability to magically drive 2 seconds a lap faster than the rest whenever he needs it, pure talent yep.
dawson-crying-300x225.jpg

Risgroo

We should ask a mod to put the thread back in OT, a few new faces would be good.

though they would just be scared away again

Leunam

We should ask a mod to put the thread back in OT, a few new faces would be good.

though they would just be scared away again

I think there were plans, some time ago, to feature a few community threads in the OT for a week or so at a time to bring more interest to them. I think it was well before the last season, though.

Deadman

Rosberg already explained why Vettel was 2 seconds faster than him in singapore 2 weeks ago, its a shame people didnt listen and instead went to crazy conspiracy land.

Hamilton's team-mate Nico Rosberg was running behind Vettel in second place in Singapore when the world champion's advantage was at its most extensive. Rosberg explained that Vettel's comparative pace looked quicker in that race because he was struggling with his Mercedes.

"Rubber in my front wing cost me 1.7 seconds of downforce, and then more because when you do have such a loss you wear the tyres more, so it probably went up to 1.9 to two seconds a lap," Rosberg said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24381349

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/09/22/2013-singapore-grand-prix-lap-times-and-fastest-laps/

When selecting Vettel and Rosberg its clear to see that rosberg had a problem after the safety car that caused him to be far slower than he should. At times he was doing slower laps than he had done 20 laps previously, even with all that fuel weight gone. After they removed the rubber debris at his next pit stop he was much closer to vettel's times, occasionally even beating him.

If we will see another Vettel victory without any conspiracy theories in our life?

TC, team order.. what's next? Did he steal Rosberg's helmet?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Honda are going to base their engine operations in the UK rather than Japan from 2015 with them setting up a Milton Keynes base like most teams in F1.

Bernie wants to use the now defunct barriers from the Valencia GP for the New Jersey GP.
Could be part of Valencia penalty clause for pulling out of hosting the GP which they say they cant afford any more.

Honda are going to base their engine operations in the UK rather than Japan from 2015 with them setting up a Milton Keynes base like most teams in F1.

Bernie wants to use the now defunct barriers from the Valencia GP for the New Jersey GP.
Could be part of Valencia penalty clause for pulling out of hosting the GP which they say they cant afford any more.

I would have thought that their would be enough barriers lying around the US from the countless defunct Champ Car and Indycar street races of the last decade or so. Though having watched the Houston race, maybe they aren't up to scratch.

Been lurking here for a while, so hey all.

I'm kind of changing teams next season for Ferrari since Kimi is leaving Lotus. But I still would not want Maldo to go there. Hulkenberg and Gorsjean would be an awesome pairing.

Ps. Well, changing teams was my plan, but lately I've run into a lot of Alonso/Ferrari guys on different forums (not here) that really makes me dread next season. Thescuderia website is the worst. Will probably cheer for both Kimi and Lotus next year.

Top Bottom