• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

oipic

Was kinda hoping that NZ guy would get a drive (the one who's currently driving for MW Arden) but I'm sure he'll be up soon :)

Mitch Evans, yeah? He's impressive, by all accounts, but I would've said it was a year or two too early for him right now... but given the fast-tracking of Kvyat into a seat, perhaps not!

Just a matter of time for Evans, I reckon, but seats available to be won on talent and performances alone seem to be fewer and fewer all the time. :/

With seats starting to become limited I really hope that Magnussen gets a drive.

Will be fascinating to see how McLaren handle Magnussen's development from here, and his almost-inevitable entry into F1, with Vandoorne on their books as well. Honda need to find a 'B' team for 2015...

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Will be fascinating to see how McLaren handle Magnussen's development from here, and his almost-inevitable entry into F1, with Vandoorne on their books as well. Honda need to find a 'B' team for 2015...
I think McLaren are trying to get him into the Marussia for next year.

NHale

Just a matter of time for Evans, I reckon, but seats available to be won on talent and performances alone seem to be fewer and fewer all the time. :/

Does he have the money? Because Felix da Csta was also a sure thing and last year he impressed a lot more than Mitch Evans ever did. And what happened to him? Zero.

Remember Felix da Costa absolutely dominated on every category he drove last year, even when he started to drive at WSR 3.5 on the 2nd half and won races with 1 minute leads against Bianchi, Frijns, Magnussen and Bird.

Unless Mitch has the money there is no such thing as "just a matter of time".

Shaneus

Does he have the money? Because Felix da Csta was also a sure thing and last year he impressed a lot more than Mitch Evans ever did. And what happened to him? Zero.

Remember Felix da Costa absolutely dominated on every category he drove last year, even when he started to drive at WSR 3.5 on the 2nd half and won races with 1 minute leads against Bianchi, Frijns, Magnussen and Bird.

Unless Mitch has the money there is no such thing as "just a matter of time".
He seems pretty good mates with Webber, so there's every chance Webber could do with Evans what David Campese did with Webber.

MrKaepora

What a bummer for Félix. I think he deserved the seat at Toro Rosso for all his work so far, such a shame.

Let's see if we don't end up with another Gutiérrez in F1.

Leunam

I'm dealing with some personal stuff at home so I'm going to be packing up and moving out in the next few days. If I don't find time to put up a preview tonight or tomorrow night it won't be put up at all. Should be back to normal after this weekend.

A Kiwi in Formula 1? Has it happened before?

Lol, they have a World Champion in Denny Hulme, one of the best and longest lasting teams was founded by and named after one and Chris Amon is almost universally recognised as the best driver never to win a race. It's been a long while for them though, I think the last one was a very young guy in the early 80's.

FootballFan

Lol, they have a World Champion in Denny Hulme, one of the best and longest lasting teams was founded by and named after one and Chris Amon is almost universally recognised as the best driver never to win a race. It's been a long while for them though, I think the last one was a very young guy in the early 80's.

Well that was a good read. Thanks for the info.

dubc35

Posted already?

My money, if I was betting, would be on Vettel taking WDC this weekend.

Here are the circumstances under which Vettel can win the championship this weekend:

• If Alonso does not finish the race or finishes in third place or lower, Vettel is champion regardless of his result
  • If Alonso finishes second and Vettel finishes eighth or higher, Vettel is champion
  • If Vettel finishes fifth or higher, he is champion regardless of where Alonso finishes
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/10/23/how-vettel-and-red-bull-can-win-the-titles-in-india/

Ark

Am I right in thinking that this year is going to be the first year since 1980 that McLaren haven't scored a podium in an F1 season?

Lach

I hoped he'd go to sauber (assuming Hulk to Lotus is done deal). I really dread that Sauber will go with Gutierrez and Sirotkin as drivers....

Lach

Noooo they can't cancel the grand prix! Though that would be a lackluster way for Vettel to win the championship!

Stay at Sauber Nico! Every team switch you made so far was quite unlucky!

Lach

There are now rumours floating around of Petrov getting the Sauber seat next year while Sirotkin becomes Test Driver. Petrov would be able to bring quite some money while Sirotkin's sponsors would be somewhat appeased that the team has a russian driver.

Watched Valencia 2012 yesterday. What an all time classic of a race, so much drama and theater and carnage. The moments after Vettel's engine stalled out and Alonso moved ahead into first, followed by a roar of the Spanish crowd then a camera cut to Newey throwing his head into his hands... were absolutely theatrical. You couldve thrown that into a blockbuster film and the emotional intensity wouldve held up. Oh and the old Schumacher getting his first podium in 6 years? Amazing.

Now watching Monza 2011. Havnt finished the race, but I was pleased to see Seb pulling an Alonso like overtake move on Fernando himself- 190 mph, one wheel hitting the grass, easing himself ahead. No DRS assist either...like a boss.

DD

Double greatness. Massa stays and Maldonado gets the fuck out.

The same rumor says that Maldonado is going to Lotus.

Anyway, Massa and his managers said that they are negotiating with Williams among other teams, but it's not a close deal yet.

From a brazilian perspective, Williams ended the careers of Ayrton Senna, Nelson Piquet, Rubens Barichello, Bruno Senna, Antônio Pizzonia... D:

lfvgt

Neo Member
The same rumor says that Maldonado is going to Lotus.

Anyway, Massa and his managers said that they are negotiating with Williams among other teams, but it's not a close deal yet.

From a brazilian perspective, Williams ended the careers of Ayrton Senna, Nelson Piquet, Rubens Barichello, Bruno Senna, Antônio Pizzonia... D:

Well, Piquet after Williams went to Lotus and then to Benetton, but I see your point - you're saying that he wasn't the same after his Williams stint (maybe because of his accident in Imola)

I wont try to summarise this. An interesting take (by Gary Anderson) on why Red Bull might have made a move forward recently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24659085

Very interesting.

A mm of wear isn't too much to play with, and there has got to be enough friction to generate a decent amount of heat. I'd imagine that would be very difficult to do without getting yourself disqualified every now and again. Doing the same thing electronically where you could add the precise amount of heat, and link it to a ride height sensor would keep your ass out of hot water. I'm almost certain that would be illegal under the moveable aero clause however.

To the tires, I remember McLaren saying at the beginning of the season that the tires were messing with their aero because they didn't deform how they expected. Surely it's the same thing.

Top Bottom