• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Massa

It seems that Helmut Marko has destroyed Antonio Felix da Costa in an interview. He said "he regressed, he showed he can't handle the pressure while Kvyat showed he can. Also we were contacted by 2 Russian companies". Hilarious shit.

He also confirmed da Costa will remain in the RBR Junior Team "for now" and will be RBR reserve driver next year. Sure seems that da Costa will have a bright future inside the RBR family...

He still could have a future there, every Vettel needs a Webber.

Problem is, every single one of the top ten laps had a point where they went outside the track margin, usually at turn 11 / 12. I guess they could disqualify all of their laps, but I suspect you'd struggle to find a completely clean lap in the entire field.

They'd have to start judging on warmup laps. :D

They only do it because Whiting allows it. His attitude to it is the problem, not the drivers.

Omiee

This thread seems dead to me compared to other threads in the past. We used to have a very enjoyable community.

People tend to leave so quick. I read some other sport community threads here where discussions are much more agressive etc than here and people keep coming back there.

Last year was pretty amazing 2011 was even better.

Road

The thread is dead because the season is over.

Even if Vettel DNF tomorrow, it's just postponing his inevitable championship.

Dilly

Banned
This thread seems dead to me compared to other threads in the past. We used to have a very enjoyable community.

People tend to leave so quick. I read some other sport community threads here where discussions are much more agressive etc than here and people keep coming back there.

Last year was pretty amazing 2011 was even better.

Yes, luckily we had people like you to up the agressiveness in this thread.

It made the F1 thread much, much better.

Nice lap by vettel.

For Webber's strat to work, vettel will have to make a bad start where he's behind people and can't pull and gap while mark either maintains or gains a position early.

I expect the Mercs to pit by lap 6.

Chris R

Thinking the same thing I think for most China races. With a country over over 1 BILLION people every single seat should be filled. Charge 1500 rupees ($25/£15) to get in for the weekend, can't be making less money than selling 1000 seats at whatever prices they currently have.

It's also nice being able to watch qualifying in under 5 minutes now, just fast forward through everything on the DVR looking for any yellow flags and delete it as soon as Vettel pulls it into the #1 dock.

Yes, luckily we had people like you to up the agressiveness in this thread.

It made the F1 thread much, much better.

Well, it has become a bit boring compared to like Moto GP where the championship and skill level are much more contested and even moto 2 are amazing to watch. The F series, not so much.

Dilly

Banned
Well, it has become a bit boring compared to like Moto GP where the championship and skill level are much more contested and even moto 2 are amazing to watch. The F series, not so much.

I'm just waiting for Webber to go to WEC and Porsche to enter LMP1 so I can watch WEC.

Shaneus

I'm just waiting for Webber to go to WEC and Porsche to enter LMP1 so I can watch WEC.
I know Webber going to it is a key factor in my interest in it (duh), but I wonder if I'd have any interest in it (or something else) at all if Webber stayed in F1.

I'm going to say... yes. I probably would've followed Webs, but I doubt I could've put up with the rest of the F1 circus in 2014 (other than for the first year of the new cars). I can only hope that with Webber in it, Australians will get some reasonably (or even remotely) convenient, legit way to watch it.

Speaking of which. (from the motorsports thread)

Gruso

A convenient, legit way for Aussies to watch WEC? How about official, free streams for every race ;) http://www.fiawec.com/

I've been checking in on it this year when I can, in preparation for watching Mark next year. The coverage is great, and if you can't see it live they fill their Dailymotion channel with tons of highlights and interviews. It's digital coverage done so so right, and it makes it even harder to stomach FOM's last-century attitude.

The Fuji 6hr was on at a nice time for Aussies last Sunday. Unfortunately the race was red flagged due to rain after 16 laps (a period which included 2 hours of stoppage). The final stint was under SC and turned out to be one of the most interesting SC periods I've seen. First time around after restart, the leading Audi dived into the pit. Mechanics sussed out the airbox for a bit, then released the car just before the pack came back around. This allowed him to gas it around to the back of the pack, and stay on the lead lap. Next time around, he came in again. They removed the rear bodywork and took out part of the intake ducting. Then they replaced the bodywork (leaving the intake system incomplete) and once again sent him out in time to fang it around to the back of the pack. Third lap around, he went in again and they put the new piece of ducting in.

A three stop repair job without losing a lap. It was wonderful to watch. Sadly the red flag came down a lap or two later - but my interest in the series has gone up a notch already.

Next race is the 6hrs of Shanghai, Saturday Nov 9, 2pm Sydney time.

Shaneus

Awesome. Can't wait to see it in person at Le Mans next year.
Oh shut up. WE GET IT.

so jelly

A convenient, legit way for Aussies to watch WEC? How about official, free streams for every race ;) http://www.fiawec.com/

I've been checking in on it this year when I can, in preparation for watching Mark next year. The coverage is great, and if you can't see it live they fill their Dailymotion channel with tons of highlights and interviews. It's digital coverage done so so right, and it makes it even harder to stomach FOM's last-century attitude.

The Fuji 6hr was on at a nice time for Aussies last Sunday. Unfortunately the race was red flagged due to rain after 16 laps (a period which included 2 hours of stoppage). The final stint was under SC and turned out to be one of the most interesting SC periods I've seen. First time around after restart, the leading Audi dived into the pit. Mechanics sussed out the airbox for a bit, then released the car just before the pack came back around. This allowed him to gas it around to the back of the pack, and stay on the lead lap. Next time around, he came in again. They removed the rear bodywork and took out part of the intake ducting. Then they replaced the bodywork (leaving the intake system incomplete) and once again sent him out in time to fang it around to the back of the pack. Third lap around, he went in again and they put the new piece of ducting in.

A three stop repair job without losing a lap. It was wonderful to watch. Sadly the red flag came down a lap or two later - but my interest in the series has gone up a notch already.

Next race is the 6hrs of Shanghai, Saturday Nov 9, 2pm Sydney time.
Makes you wonder how two series' under the FIA could be so vastly different in how they conduct themselves.

And I think I completely forgot that the WEC was 100% free. Duh. I need to find a better way to remind myself though... I subbed to the WEC YT channel but that's not alerty enough.

Pimpwerx

So...Vettel win and championship tomorrow? Should I bother waking up early for the race, or should I just watch the recording? Don't even answer that. I'm watching the recording. This season has been a forgone conclusion since the tires changed. PEACE.

Gruso

And I think I completely forgot that the WEC was 100% free. Duh. I need to find a better way to remind myself though... I subbed to the WEC YT channel but that's not alerty enough.
Same. I've got the F1 schedule added to my Google calendars, so I see upcoming sessions every time I look at my phone's homescreen. It's great. I've tried linking other series but they don't sync to my phone for some reason. Here are the F1 and MotoGP links (in sidebar):

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/series/1/formula-1/
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/calendar/190/2013-motogp-calendar/

There is no Google calendar for WEC that I've found. I've considered sitting down to make one, but video games etc.

Moozo

The Red Bull in qualifying looked as good as I've ever seen it. The way it stuck through sector 2 was incredible - and to beat the record set in whole-lap DRS and diffuser times is quite something.

I have always wondered though why nobody has yet given Red Bull a run for their money at the start of the race when Vettel typically disappears into the distance. There's nothing left to play for, why doesn't somebody try and keep up for a change, even if it does compromise them later on? Give us a bit of entertainment.

Shaneus

Hey, I got 107 points in GPP last round, is that good? I think I got 10 points for the first 5 spots or something.
TaxH0pY.png

Haven't changed my tips for ages, need to remember to take Hamilton out of the pole thing (and Perez out of everything). And I'm pretty sure 107 points was roughly 1/4 of what I scored over the entire year. Pfft.

Same. I've got the F1 schedule added to my Google calendars, so I see upcoming sessions every time I look at my phone's homescreen. It's great. I've tried linking other series but they don't sync to my phone for some reason. Here are the F1 and MotoGP links (in sidebar):

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/series/1/formula-1/
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/calendar/190/2013-motogp-calendar/

There is no Google calendar for WEC that I've found. I've considered sitting down to make one, but video games etc.
I think next year with Porsche entering LMP1, Webber etc., I might make a WEC OT (including a calendar). Hopefully it'll stay small enough to not get pushed to Community and get enough of a bump for things like Le Mans.

Wish they did races more frequently though :/ Should have one in Australia somewhere.

Gruso

He's got three guys on softs in front, and three behind. If he loses a few positions at the start he could still take the lead when they start pitting five laps in. But he'll have Alonso in his mirrors.

Mastah

Pirelli has asked Formula 1 teams to limit running on the tyres in Sunday's Indian Grand Prix on safety grounds.

Teams have been asked not to use the 'soft' tyre for more than 15 laps and the 'medium' for no more than 35 laps.

Governing body the FIA is refusing to order the teams to follow the advice.

But if any teams goes beyond the limit and hit problems they could be brought before the stewards and asked why they ran their cars in a dangerous configuration.

At this weekend's Indian Grand Prix, the 'soft' tyre has been suffering severe degradation after just handful of laps.

The tyres are suffering blistering - when the surface overheats and bubbles - after just three or four laps, leading to a loss of pace of as much as three or four seconds a lap.

One senior engineer at a top team said this was the worst blistering ever experienced with the Pirelli tyres since the company entered F1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24690717

What a show Pirelli provided with 2013 tyres. They are exploding, blistering and tearing apart. Today due to restrictions 1 stopper is effectively banned. Great strategy variety, huh?

Let's just hope no one will lock the tyres heavily, because they will explode in instant :/

If you switch Lewis' Malaysia points over to Rosberg-the honest way of tabulating points between the two since team orders hung Nico out to dry- Nico is really close to Lewis in points.
edit: Im tired of seeing Horner all over Sky's coverage, what a dull, uninteresting man. Do they have some kind of season long deal with RBR where Horner gives priority to them?

Top Bottom