• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Dilly

Banned
I don't doubt Vettel's excellence for one minute. I think he's a brilliant driver and he will possibly retire without us seeing another one like him.

Like him? Ofcourse, unless you think he's some kind of driving god.
With his achievements? No.

Different thing.

DD

Lotus never fooled me in thinking that they are the cool team that their Twitter account make them look like. They're the same bunch of guys that ruined Piquet Jr's career by ploting that "accident" that gave Alonso his only victory in 2008 and took away Massa's title; the same team that dumped Heidfeld like he as a piece of crap, and lot more...

They are the face of Flavio Briatori as a team.

DD

To be able to achieve what he has by the age of 26? Yeah, I think it's unlikely we'll see that happen again (for numerous reasons).

Guys are coming to the F1 by the age of 18. In 10 years 12 year old boys will come in and smash that record. =)

Business

Lotus never fooled me in thinking that they are the cool team that their Twitter account make them look like. They're the same bunch of guys that ruined Piquet Jr's career by ploting that "accident" that gave Alonso his only victory in 2008 and took away Massa's title; the same team that dumped Heidfeld like he as a piece of crap, and lot more...

Alonso won in Fuji too.

ramparter

Banned

To be honest, I was fooled. But as I said in an earlier post, it's no coincidence that Grosjean has been outperforming Kimi in the last races. Anyway Alonso won twice in 2008, back to back actually. And speaking of him, his performance in the last races makes me believe more and more that he has already signed for another team. I don't think he gives a sh*t about Ferrari any more.

Leunam

Wasn't able to watch the race or follow it online as my internet/cable hasn't been set up at my apartment.

Congratulations to Vettel and Red Bull.

To be fair. No one complained when Kimi got the new exhaust system while Grosjean only got the old one.
It's obvious that Lotus can only support one driver at the same time.

To be able to achieve what he has by the age of 26? Yeah, I think it's unlikely we'll see that happen again (for numerous reasons).

Realistically, it's possible for someone to achieve that by 24, maybe even 22 if they're really bloody good, but it's so dependant on timing of other factors that yes, it's 'unlikely'.

Personally I find domination of any sport incredibly boring, so I'd really rather not see it happen again!

dubc35

Realistically, it's possible for someone to achieve that by 24, maybe even 22 if they're really bloody good, but it's so dependant on timing of other factors that yes, it's 'unlikely'.

Personally I find domination of any sport incredibly boring, so I'd really rather not see it happen again!
Agreed. Sebastian Loeb killed the WRC for me. Vettel and RBR are about to do the same for F1. :(

Guys are coming to the F1 by the age of 18. In 10 years 12 year old boys will come in and smash that record. =)

...and like has happened already they'll be dumped after a couple of years because it turns out they're not another Vettel or can't handle the pressure. The point is not that he's necessarily a "driving god", but you'd need a very unique set of circumstances for it to happen again.

ramparter

Banned
...and like has happened already they'll be dumped after a couple of years because it turns out they're not another Vettel or can't handle the pressure. The point is not that he's necessarily a "driving god", but you'd need a very unique set of circumstances for it to happen again.
True. Take Alonso for example, he grabs two titles, then goes to McLaren, drives a winning car but still manages to screw his relationship with the team. And no I'm not saying it was all his fault but clearly he is not very good in that area. I believe he would have won the 2007 wdc too if he had handled things better.

Addnan

Genuine question. Do you guys think Vettel will be happy at the end of his career to have won all his world championships with a energy drink company and not a works team? I've been talking to some friends and just find it a little weird. I mean are RBR even in it for the long haul.

I never thought we would see another 4 time champion so soon after Schumi. Damn, I remember his win at Monza with Toro Rosso and thought he had a lot of promise but RBR and Vettel are just beasting.

I really hope 2014 delivers some closer competition. Having someone dominate makes it that much more satisfying when they get knocked off. Would be great if it was Alonso again. Slayer of the mega champs.

Genuine question. Do you guys think Vettel will be happy at the end of his career to have won all his world championships with a energy drink company and not a works team? I've been talking to some friends and just find it a little weird. I mean are RBR even in it for the long haul.

Yes. He seems to care about fast laps/wins/poles more than the logo on his racing suit.

It's like asking if Schumacher's first two titles are less worth because the team had the name of an ugly fashion company.

And Vettel is the result of the Red Bull junior programme, so it shouldn't be just a softdrink company for him.

TCRS

Banned

I thought about that too which is why I'm pretty sure he'll switch to Ferrari (or McLaren) at some point. Win a title with a proper historic team and not one named after a fucking energy drink.

Leunam

As in four championships and never again? :D

Red Bull, while first and foremost a drink company, is also hugely into all sorts of sports around the world. Adding F1 titles to their repertoire seems like a natural fit when you consider how many other events or teams they sponsor.

Check their wiki page. These are just events they own, not counting teams they own or just sponsor:

Red Bull Stratos
Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series
Red Bull Rampage
Red Bull Ragnaraok
Red Bull Road Rage
Red Bull Romaniacs Hard Enduro Rallye
Red Bull Crashed Ice
Red Bull X-Fighters
Red Bull X-Alps
Red Bull Air Race World Championship
Red Bull Flugtag
Red Bull Paperwings
Red Bull LAN
Red Bull Training Grounds
Red Bull sports events
Red Bull Art of Motion
Red Bull BC One
Red Bull Cold Rush
Red Bull Dolomitenmann - A 4-man relay competition including trail running, paragliding, kayaking, mountainbiking
Red Bull Elements - A 4-man relay competition including rowing, trail running, paragliding, mountainbiking
Red Bull MotoGP Rookie Cup
Indianapolis motorcycle Grand Prix
Red Bull Supernatural - A "backcountry boarding competition designed to challenge, then crown the best all-around snowboarder on the planet."
Red Bull Soapbox Race

F1 titles were bound to happen.

Red Bull picked him up at age 11, and completely shaped his already incredible career. I don't think he gives a rat's ass about the history of Ferrari or McLaren. I sure as hell wouldn't. Red Bull have done better by him than any team have ever done for a driver. If you want to argue Clark and Lotus, I'll accept that however :)

Staab

What they have achieved is fantastic and you can't help but be amazed at Vettel.
However, it's time for some change, nobody likes a dominant force (no matter how charismatic they are/ aren't): we need closer competition at the top.

Really hope 2014 brings that...

And ... for god's sake, bring back refueling !!!

dubc35

As long as Vettel stays out of the damn Red Bull Flugtag! lol

red_bull_flugtag_26-600x400.jpg

I don't mind Redbull in F1, I don't actually mind cash cows like tobacco and alcohol companies to own teams if the laws didn't prevent them from advertising.

If Tobacco companies were still in F1 we wouldn't have seen all this cost cutting shit

Juicy Bob

No refuelling is so much better, IMO.

I remember so many races in the refuelling days being decided in the pits because a driver simply waited for his opponent to pit and bombed it for a couple of laps to come out ahead after his stop. About as exciting and inevitable as an overtake in one of the FIA's overly-generous DRS zones.

kharma45

Massive news alright. Where to next?

McLaren must be tempting with the Honda dream team in the making?
Hmm, article says McLaren is unlikely due to his past relationship with Honda.

I'd guess McLaren. Although Brawn didn't have the best experience with them as a works team I'd imagine the relationship will be a lot different when they're just the engine supplier.

We have tyre conservation during the race on the whole. Anyone that gets too racy is punished pretty badly.

On a different note, now that the championships are over, will those mostly interested in the championship watch for the racing (up and down the field) or is that it for this season for you?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I see that Newey came out today and said the change back to 2012 tyre spec was the key to Vettel winning the title again this year.
RBR and Sauber were the big winners with this move.

Top Bottom