• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Red Bull say that changing the design of Formula 1's tyres mid-season was key to Sebastian Vettel's title win.

Ferrari's Fernando Alonso was only 21 points behind the German after eight races this season.

But the tyres were changed after failures at the British Grand Prix in June, and Vettel has won seven out of eight races since.

"Going back to 2012 tyres for sure helped us," Red Bull designer Adrian Newey said.

"Our car generally gets quite a bit of its benefit in the high-speed corners and the '13 tyres were much more load-sensitive.

"It was much easier to damage them if you put too much load into them, so we couldn't really use that high-speed benefit on the '13 tyres."

Alonso had already identified the decision to revert to the more durable 2012 tyres as a reason for Ferrari's loss of form.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24717889

Ehhh. It helped, sure, but I'd say that RB would've adapted rather sooner than later and still won the WCC.

Ehhh. It helped, sure, but I'd say that RB would've adapted rather sooner than later and still won the WCC.
Aye, they had won three races (would have been a fourth without a mechanical failure in Britain) before the change so it's not like they were exactly struggling.

Vettel was leading by a reasonable margin before they reverted to 2012 tyres, though obviously he wasn't dominant.

And once again the same shit, just like every year.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has lamented the team's inability to give their drivers "a car good enough to fight" Sebastian Vettel on equal terms.

Vettel won his sixth consecutive race at Sunday's Indian Grand Prix to wrap up a fourth Drivers' Championship on the trot, leaving Fernando Alonso to battle it out with Kimi Raikkonen over second place in the standings.

Domenicali believes they let their drivers down as the machinery was not up to scratch this year.

"This year, we were unable to give our drivers a car good enough to fight with Vettel on equal terms, apart from at the very beginning of the season," he told the official Ferrari website.

"Thanks to Fernando and his amazing talent, we managed to worry the World Champion elect more than the others, but unfortunately, our efforts were not enough to fight all the way to the very end.

"Now, it's important to try and end this season in the best way possible. These are crucial weeks that we have ahead of us to the end of the year, because the work we are doing in preparation for 2014 is vital if we want to be the team that puts an end to this Red Bull dominance, just as we and Fernando have been their main rivals over the past four seasons."

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/8997837/Ferrari-failed-to-deliver-a-good-car-
I'm so sick of this team.

I see that Newey came out today and said the change back to 2012 tyre spec was the key to Vettel winning the title again this year.
RBR and Sauber were the big winners with this move.

They would have won the titles even with the old tyres. The other teams like Lotus, Mercedes or Ferrari were stealing points from each other while Red Bull and Vettel were pretty much good enough for a lot of points in all races.
Vettel's worst position was fourth after all (not counted the DNF in Silverstone).

Fantomex

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better for Ferrari to fire everyone. I know it sounds ridiculous but still. How you gonna sell sports cars and always finish second to a Sports Drink company
LLShC.gif

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better for Ferrari to fire everyone. I know it sounds ridiculous but still. How you gonna sell sports cars and always finish second to a Sports Drink company
LLShC.gif

Ford/jaguar failed. Toyota recently failed.

The logo means little. It's the talent you have gathered and made to work together. Redbull is doing a great job at that.

Massa

Ford/jaguar failed. Toyota recently failed.

The logo means little. It's the talent you have gathered and made to work together. Redbull is doing a great job at that.

Everyone failed, nobody can catch up to the bull. Sports cars sales to reach zero if this continues, dealerships will only sell energy drinks from now on.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Since Rory Byrne is designing next years car it'll be good. I hope.

Well, he worked also on this year's car and on last year's car.... They are poaching engineers from other teams, but a lot of staff is also laid off after one year, but some are eternal, like Domenicalli.

I see them screwing their windtunnel again and then they will be baffled in April, what is wrong again with the car.

kharma45

Well, he worked also on this year's car and on last year's car.... They are poaching engineers from other teams, but a lot of staff is also laid off after one year, but some are eternal, like Domenicalli.

I see them screwing their windtunnel again and then they will be baffled in April, what is wrong again with the car.

He was just a consultant on those ones though, this time he's the chief designer.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
He was just a consultant on those ones though, this time he's the chief designer.

Well, he had more than just consulting role on this year's car. But again, his designs exceled with unlimited aero and track testing, but now times are different. One man cannot bring wonders, even Newey would be in cold water without his close team of designers and lead engineers.

Dilly

Banned
He is clean? What?

Also, saying you don't care what other people think loses its meaning when you constantly try to persuade people about how great he is.

In fairness, plenty of us here like him. Love is a bit strong though...

With that said, I think I'd have a bit of a schoolgirl moment if I met him, but then I would if I met Alonso or Webber either (Can't say I care about the rest of them).

Omiee

He is clean? What?

Also, saying you don't care what other people think loses its meaning when you constantly try to persuade people about how great he is.

What i meant by clean driver he does not try to pull dirty tricks and say stuff about his team like alonso did.

Chris R

In fairness, plenty of us here like him. Love is a bit strong though...

With that said, I think I'd have a bit of a schoolgirl moment if I met him, but then I would if I met Alonso or Webber either (Can't say I care about the rest of them).

I don't like him at all, but I recognize his dominance. Granted, I don't think he would be as dominant in ANY other car, but who is? Top tier driver, but of the current batch I think there are at least two who are better.

Of course they did, that is not in question. This is:

Which is self evident bullshit.

Well, it's about the definition of "dirty tricks". I don't remember that Vettel did something against the spirit of the sports - like lying to the stewards or wanting team order when it was forbidden.
But he is playing the same game as all the other drivers.

Well, it's about the definition of "dirty tricks". I don't remember that Vettel did something against the spirit of the sports - like lying to the stewards or wanting team order when it was forbidden.
But he is playing the same game as all the other drivers.

Which means he's not better than any other driver in that regard. That's all people here are trying to say.

Milchjon

You guys must be the most self-hating community on GAF. Whenever I check into this thread, there's talk about how everything sucks :-D

Zeppu

Imagine the fan reaction to that race if the last 20 laps were the first 4 cars following each other home, forbidden to race.

If Red Bull had not given out team orders:
Fucking Red Bull probably messaged Webber or gimped his car to let Vettel through.

If Red Bull had given team orders and Vettel had listened:
Fucking Red Bull not allowing drivers to race each other. This is the ruination of the sport. What is even the point of having races if drivers can't race each other?

If Red Bull had given team orders and Vettel hadn't listened:
Fuck you Vettel, you piece of shit.

Top Bottom