• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

I hope Valsecchi gets the opportunity to compete in these last two races. The continued viability of GP2 relies on its champions making an impact in F1.

Kevin Magnussen to McLaren is very interesting. He clearly has a lot potential and has performed well in pretty much every series he has competed in (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 7th, 1st in various championships over last six years). He was also very impressive in the young driver test in Abu Dhabi. McLaren would not put him in the car if they didn't think he was ready.

I do, however, feel a little bit sorry for Perez if he is dumped after one season in a uncompetitive car. It can not be easy going from a [relatively] small team like Sauber to a big organisation like McLaren and I don't think his pace has been that bad, considering. The money he brings with him should hopefully secure him a place somewhere else on the grid next season and give him a chance to rebuild his career.

I still remember when Frentzen had all that hype (1997), then Villeneuve made him look like Alex Yoong. 'Tis was hilarious.

He did partially redeem himself with excellent performances and two wins for Jordan in 1999 and by performing well against all his team-mates thereafter. He was a talented driver, very quick on his day, but was just lacking the little something extra that makes a champion.

Webber reflecting on his time with Vettel:

Good to see webber relaxed towards the end of his f1 career. Having been around with vettel for pretty much his whole f1 career, I'd say he's a more qualified expert than any other driver.

People expecting vettel and red bull to not be competing for wins in 2024 are going to have a rough season.

Lach

Those are some really weird driver shifts, even more so than last year. It will certainly leave some established driver(s) without a seat.

Business

Good to see webber relaxed towards the end of his f1 career. Having been around with vettel for pretty much his whole f1 career, I'd say he's a more qualified expert than any other driver.

People expecting vettel and red bull to not be competing for wins in 2024 are going to have a rough season.

True. On the other hand that's really the only thing he can say.

dubc35

I wouldn't expect any news from McL on Perez/Magnussen until after the USGP. Last year half the fans were supposedly Mexican, probably more this year with GUT in F1 too. They don't want to lose out on support and swag revenue.

True. On the other hand that's really the only thing he can say.

Not exactly. He could have easily gone with the conspiracy theorist's line and said that Vettel was always given priority, they designed the car around him, they gave him better parts, they fucked Webber over in pitstops, they fucked Webber over in strategies, and that everyone in the team is basically against him...

Fisico

Looks like Massa to Williams is confirmed this morning.

Btw what does Williams think about Bottas's performance so far ?

Not exactly. He could have easily gone with the conspiracy theorist's line and said that Vettel was always given priority, they designed the car around him, they gave him better parts, they fucked Webber over in pitstops, they fucked Webber over in strategies, and that everyone in the team is basically against him...

Whether it's true or not it would just make him appear a sore loser, and he probably knows that

Juicy Bob

I'm happy for Massa, but I'm a bit underwhelmed to see him clinging onto a seat in the sport that could be used by someone up and coming instead.

Hopefully his experience will help him to pull Williams up from the doldrums.

DD

I'm happy for Massa, but I'm a bit underwhelmed to see him clinging onto a seat in the sport that could be used by someone up and coming instead.

Hopefully his experience will help him to pull Williams up from the doldrums.

Another young driver with Bottas already there? On a year of new rules, new engines and totally different cars?

Crying ass shame if you ask me.

Yeah, he's got quite unlucky there. But then, he's going to be far from the only one this year it seems.

As someone else said earlier, McLaren must have some pretty convincing data on Magnussen for them to make this switch. I hope they're right, and that they can produce a competitive car, because it's always exciting to see rookies have blazing starts to their careers.

Autosport: McLaren decides that Magnussen will replace Perez in 2014 F1 season

McLaren has taken the decision to replace Sergio Perez with Kevin Magnussen for the 2014 Formula 1 season.

t1larg-champagne-spraying.jpg

Now for Goss and his team to produce a car as competitive as his last one:

2008 - Goss - 6 wins, WDC
2009 - Lowe - 2 wins
2010 - Goss - 5 wins
2011 - Lowe - 6 wins
2012 - Goss - 7 wins
2013 - Lowe - 0 wins
2014 - Goss rocketship?

Sport Bild says The Hulk has to choose between Sauber and Force India.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Excellent news, tough on Perez but McLaren are after that X-factor that Hamilton had when he entered F1 in 2007.
All signs point towards Magnussen having that X-factor too with his stellar junior career and very promising testing sessions.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I guess this also ties in with the delay in naming new title sponsor for McLaren in 2014.
Telmex is obviously out now so it will be interesting to see who replaces them.

I guess this also ties in with the delay in naming new title sponsor for McLaren in 2014.

It never really sounded like that was going to be Telmex-related anyway. I'm assuming whoever it is has just changed their marketing strategy.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Whoever they are getting, is brining much more than Perez based sponsors could. And they are getting another hefty financial injection in 2015 when Honda arrives.

pants

So, ideally,
Hulk - Lotus
Perez - Force India
Maldonado - Pushed to one of the new teams that could use money, Caterham?

Who has more money, Perez or Maldonado?

Juicy Bob

Disappointed for Perez as I felt he deserved a second year with the team, but I do think Magnussen is a definite prospect, for sure.

Maybe Maldonado has been affected by that political trouble that was going on a while back with the Venezuelan government and their giving money to overseas drivers? Maybe it's all drying up?

Perez was not at all flattered by that car, but I never thought he was that exceptional to begin with. Wrong Sauber driver to sign last year, to be sure. Still, I wonder if Magnussen is going to be another in the long line of drivers who killed their careers by signing with McLaren too early.

Ultimately Perez couldn't match Button when he should have. I feel he maybe should have a second season with a more competitive car but McLaren have to look to 2015 and what is the best for then. Is Perez a long term solution at McLaren? No. Is Magnussen? Possibly. I'm sure if Magnussen doesn't deliver he will be dropped too. If they get Alonso for 2015 it's a straight fight between Button and Magnussen for the second seat.

NHale

Whoever they are getting, is brining much more than Perez based sponsors could. And they are getting another hefty financial injection in 2015 when Honda arrives.

It's been rumored that Coca-Cola company will sponsor McLaren with a color scheme reminiscent of the Marlboro McLaren-Honda years. But it sounds too good to be true...

So, ideally,
Hulk - Lotus
Perez - Force India
Maldonado - Pushed to one of the new teams that could use money, Caterham?

If QuantumF1 is the laundry money company that some people believe it is, I don't know if Lotus can deny the appeal of Maldonado...

More money than Carlos Slim?

weren't there rumours of slim ending his funding in f1? i think it was on amus but I'm not sure, perez reportedly has a $15m kitty but it isn't secure for the future.

no race in mexico and no mexican driver on the grid in 2014

NHale

weren't there rumours of slim ending his funding in f1? i think it was on amus but I'm not sure, perez reportedly has a $15m kitty but it isn't secure for the future.

no race in mexico and no mexican driver on the grid in 2014

Yeah that was it has been reported on a couple of websites. Apparently Slim didn't spend one dollar on McLaren and it's not backing Gutierrez after this year, which is why Hulkenberg is being offered the 2nd seat next to Sirotkin.

dubc35

Sweet, the Perez era is over!!
However, if their car wasn't utter shit this year I think the results would have been much different.

Leunam

Sweet, the Perez era is over!!
However, if their car wasn't utter shit this year I think the results would have been much different.

Right now, Perez getting shit results is blamed on Perez.

Next year, if the trend continues, it will be McLarens fault, not Magnussens.

Top Bottom