• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Webber has every right to be pissed off. He has respected team orders all his career, especially when the positions are reversed. Vettel has benefited many times from that, so to go against team orders just to get a win for himself is kinda a dick move.

Yeah, British GP when Mark held position and he was pretty pissed off about it. RBR told Mark that team orders apply both ways. Apparently not.

DBT85

Team orders can do one. Fastest driver should be allowed to overtake. Nico has every right to be angry, Webber should suck it up.

Had Webber not turned his engine down Vettel might not have got past.

Nico should have been allowed past though, but good on him for DOING HIS JOB.

Shaneus

Wait... so Webber turned his engine down and THEN Vettel took him? FUUUUUCK.

Can anyone verify that? I'm not sure if I understood that right or not.

Helmut going to back up Vettel? Sounds like it. Wait... maybe not. "It's not like Mercedes where it's clear #1 and #2". Good shit, Marko.

Jinjo

Can anyone give a short summary of mark and webber's comments? German commentators keep talking through it with translation and I can't understand both now.

Shaneus

Can anyone give a short summary of mark and webber's comments? German commentators keep talking through it with translation and I can't understand both now.
Webber said that Vettel took his own path, but will get team protection as usual. In those words.

DaMan121

lol, I love how Webber was just holding back, looked like he was going to get through the interview without incident.. then BANG! BANG!

sammex

Had Webber not turned his engine down Vettel might not have got past.

Nico should have been allowed past though, but good on him for DOING HIS JOB.

Racing is his job, not making up the numbers. Team orders are one of the worst things about F1 at the moment.

Lach

Horner on RTL: Vettel put his own interests above the interests of the team which shouldn't be the case...

edit: and on multi 21: It's a message that both driver should clearly understand...

Septimius

Team orders can do one. Fastest driver should be allowed to overtake. Nico has every right to be angry, Webber should suck it up.

That's not how Formula One works. Now I have to assume you haven't followed F1. You have only so many engines, and it's pretty much "now you take care of the cars. Don't crash, don't spend the engines, let's not risk losing to Mercedes by pushing our tyres in the beginning". Then Vettel goes and disregards that and overtakes him, anyway. That's not cool, because not only is Vettel telling is bosses to suck it, disregarding what they say. Insubordination is actually a thing even in F1.

Dead Man

Racing is his job, not making up the numbers. Team orders are one of the worst things about F1 at the moment.

For decades drives have leaned out engines (pre ecu) and stopped fighting for position after the last pitstop. It's hardly new, and it's hardly team orders in the sense of deciding who wins.

DBT85

No, your job is whatever your boss tells you it is.

His boss told him to hold station, as he has told Mark to do countless times, as Brawn told Nico to do.

Team orders have been a part of F1 since it's inception, you can just hear it now.

Shaneus

But wow... makes Seb look even worse if Webber had his engine tuned down and Seb didn't.

So, state of play was like this?

Webber, turn your engine down, you're safe.
Vettel, hold position.
Vettel doesn't hold position.

Love to know what mappings Vettel had. Waiting to hear that. Sky commentators seem to be completely ignoring that completely and just talking about performance.

PS. Also, note that Webber after the podium went the opposite direction.

PPS. Horner sounding VERY pissed. Saying "they", but clearly talking about Vettel.

KAP151

Ahhh, good to see the Golden Boy Vettel hasnt changed his spots for 2013.

In typical fashion, its do whats best for me and fuck what's best for team. Can't wait till the karma train hits him head on.

Webber got reamed (yet again). The body language and interview on the podium said it all.

Septimius

And fuck Helmut Marko for trying to up play RedBulls situation. It was the exact same situation with RedBull and Mercedes, only Mercedes actually can control their drivers, you dolt

sammex

That's not how Formula One works. Now I have to assume you haven't followed F1. You have only so many engines, and it's pretty much "now you take care of the cars. Don't crash, don't spend the engines, let's not risk losing to Mercedes by pushing our tyres in the beginning". Then Vettel goes and disregards that and overtakes him, anyway. That's not cool, because not only is Vettel telling is bosses to suck it, disregarding what they say. Insubordination is actually a thing even in F1.

EDIT:

And fuck Helmut Marko for trying to up play RedBulls situation. It was the exact same situation with RedBull and Mercedes, only Mercedes actually can control their drivers, you dolt

I've followed F1 for about 18 years, this is not how it used to be.

Septimius

I've followed F1 for about 18 years, this is not how it used to be.

You must've skipped the last years then. This has been prevalent factors during the last 3 years. It's not cool, many have had good comments about how it's silly, but it's not surprising that this happens, so your argument should then be "this is what wrong" not "when did this start happening?"

duckroll

Racing is his job, yes, but it's racing for a team. He's not an independent entry in the race. Do I enjoy seeing teammates being allowed to fight for position? Absolutely. But I think if there is a common understanding about how to finish a race within the team, then that should also be respected. Working in a team is a bit more complex than just racing everyone at every moment.

It was highly entertaining, but it's also not hard to see how the other people involved might be rather disappointed in how it went down.

If Ham wasn't fuelled right it makes absolutely no sense for Rosberg to be ordered to sit back. Ham was never going to chase down the Bulls so they should have let Rosberg pass and Ham finish 4th. It's not his fault they didn't fuel him right, but still it's not Nico's either.

sammex

You must've skipped the last years then. This has been prevalent factors during the last 3 years. It's not cool, many have had good comments about how it's silly, but it's not surprising that this happens, so your argument should then be "this is what wrong" not "when did this start happening?"

I didn't say that though? If I was on gaf for the last few years you'd have heard me moan about it then too.

DBT85

If Ham wasn't fuelled right it makes absolutely no sense for Rosberg to be ordered to sit back. Ham was never going to chase down the Bulls so they should have let Rosberg pass and Ham finish 4th. It's not his fault they didn't fuel him right, but still it's not Nico's either.

I liked Hamiltons interview in that regard, he look like he felt bad that he was allowed to stay in front.

Top Bottom