• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

NHale

What a shock. People led me to believe only Ferrari had team orders. Quelle surprise...

wow Lauda is pissed at Mercedes, I thinks it was wrong to call Rosberg back

Lauda is just trying to find an excuse to blame Ross Brawn and find a scapegoat to fire him without a backlash.

"We decided to replace Ross after the incident in Malaysia. Mercedes doesn't have team orders and we are very disappointed in the decision that Ross decided to make on the pitwall"

duckroll

If Ham wasn't fuelled right it makes absolutely no sense for Rosberg to be ordered to sit back. Ham was never going to chase down the Bulls so they should have let Rosberg pass and Ham finish 4th. It's not his fault they didn't fuel him right, but still it's not Nico's either.

Judging from how embarrassed Hamilton looked on the podium, I'm going to guess that they messed up on his fuel load, but didn't want him to feel let down by the team's incompetence, so they sacrificed Rosberg to make him feel better, since he's their star signing.

It's bullshit really.

Shaneus

Was the "He's slower, get him out of the way" or whatever thing after the final pits when they said they hold position?

Webber's old man telling it like it is!

sammex

Racing is his job, yes, but it's racing for a team. He's not an independent entry in the race. Do I enjoy seeing teammates being allowed to fight for position? Absolutely. But I think if there is a common understanding about how to finish a race within the team, then that should also be respected. Working in a team is a bit more complex than just racing everyone at every moment.

It was highly entertaining, but it's also not hard to see how the other people involved might be rather disappointed in how it went down.

I see your point but it doesn't make it any less palatable though. They need to maintain a better balance.

If Ham wasn't fuelled right it makes absolutely no sense for Rosberg to be ordered to sit back. Ham was never going to chase down the Bulls so they should have let Rosberg pass and Ham finish 4th. It's not his fault they didn't fuel him right, but still it's not Nico's either.

My biggest problem with this race as well. Could have turned into an absolute farce if Hamilton had been slowed to a crawl at the end because of his fuel, and Rosberg still behind him.

Then Hamilton fanboys calling him a class act for his words at the end there. A class act would have let his team mate slide by. Always hated Hamilton and it just gets worse, Mercdeds have now shown Rosberg he is their own Massa bitch to do with as they please.

FuturusX

Problem for Seb here is that he he essentially ignored everybody to get the win. Whether you like it or not. He was told to hold position. I guess he thinks team orders is only for the number 2 driver?

Septimius

I didn't say that though? If I was on gaf for the last few years you'd have heard me moan about it then too.

But that has nothing to do with Webber sucking it up. As much as team orders are wrong, Webber does nothing wrong by believing in them, and Vettel does all wrong by disregarding them. Vettel is making life miserable for a lot of people, and it's not OK to be disobedient like that. Not only do you come off as immature and selfish, but it's just a general indecency that Mark Webber can do without. So no, Mark Webber should not suck it, no matter how many years you've watched F1.

duckroll

I see your point but it doesn't make it any less palatable though. They need to maintain a better balance.

I agree, but there are literally a dozen problems with the way F1 is run in general. There's a long list of shit to bitch about, and this just happens to be the issue which influenced the result today.

Judging from how embarrassed Hamilton looked on the podium, I'm going to guess that they messed up on his fuel load, but didn't want him to feel let down by the team's incompetence, so they sacrificed Rosberg to make him feel better, since he's their star signing.

It's bullshit really.

Better to have one angry driver about the fuel load than two angry drivers at the fuel load and team orders...

Shaneus

Problem for Seb here is that he he essentially ignored everybody to get the win. Whether you like it or not. He was told to hold position. I guess he thinks team orders is only for the number 2 driver?
And from what I can gather, he didn't wind down his engine when Mark did, either. Bit easier to overtake when you have a better mapping than your teammate.

Ahaha, Sky playing "Respect" by Aretha Franklin. Love it.

NHale

It's bullshit really.

Now he feels like he was given a 3rd place instead of earning it. Worst is that everyone knows about it, so of course he doesn't like it. I'm glad not everyone is obsessed with winning at all costs...

KAP151

Was the "He's slower, get him out of the way" or whatever thing after the final pits when they said they hold position?

Webber's old man telling it like it is!

Vettel blurbed that out on the team radio during the middle of the race.

Webber was actually the faster of the two at the time.

He tried to overtake Vettel after he was told to hold position.

It was the same situation and the only difference is that Vettel could overtake him today.

You think Mark was unable to pass Vettel? Are you saying that he obeyed team orders because he couldn't disobey? So if he found a pass he would have went for it?

Do you know how team orders work?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I can see why Mark is pissed off but can't help but think that if he was ever that much faster than Seb he'd do the same thing in a heart beat.

Shaneus

Holy fuck! I didn't realise THAT was the signal he gave him. Webber must've known they were on different mappings (preservation vs. performance). Sunhi, get on it. I need to make that an avatar as soon as possible.

Suck shit, Vettel. You deserve all the hate you cop from this.

I can see why Mark is pissed off but can't help but think that if he was ever that much faster than Seb he'd do the same thing in a heart beat.
Webber was on the preservation mapping, Seb wasn't. Not hard to understand how he could take him.

Septimius

There's really nothing indicating this. No time in history has he done anything like it, whereas it's hard to argue it's not in the nature of Vettel. So I don't get where you're coming from. There's also nothing indicating what the actual difference in speed was, as Mark slowed down since the team told them both to.

Vettel was only faster because he was in a faster engine mode. That's what it sounds like at least. Webber switched down to saving mode on team orders and Vettel didn't.

duckroll

Gaf on silverstone 2011: fuck rbr and their team orders

Gaf on malaysia 2013: team orders should always be followed

Well, I'm actually willing to bet that in this same race, if Rosberg said fuck it to team orders and overtook Hamilton, most people in this thread would also be celebrating his heroism. Is it hypocritical? Sure. But I don't think it's surprising that underdogs are easier to like!

Dead Man

Gaf on silverstone 2011: fuck rbr and their team orders

Gaf on malaysia 2013: team orders should always be followed

Team orders in terms of letting one driver win over another are shit, orders to hold position are frustrating and can be abused but should be respected by the drivers.

Excellent!

I don't think Brawn will be at Merc for the start of the European races with Lauda on the warpath :D

You really think getting rid of Brawn will make the team better? LOL

Shaneus

Well, I guess it all explains why Seb was just pulling away from Webber at the end and he had to watch that tyre... clearly he was still on the push/performance/speed mapping while Webber wasn't.

Absolutely despicable. What's the difference in points.. 2?

Edit: What did Hamilton say on the podium exactly? I didn't catch any of it.

KAP151

Team orders in terms of letting one driver win over another are shit, orders to hold position are frustrating and can be abused but should be respected by the drivers.

Especially considering they were 1-2 very late into the race. Vettels pass was a pubic hair away from Webbers right side and the barrier - could of easily been a total disaster.

TylerD

Well, I guess it all explains why Seb was just pulling away from Webber at the end and he had to watch that tyre... clearly he was still on the push/performance/speed mapping while Webber wasn't.

He essentially said that he felt bad/awkward that he was on the podium and not Nico.

Top Bottom