• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Septimius

I don't know. I kinda believe Vettel when he says that he made a mistake, they should've been clearer. Not some "multi 21" BS, Mercedes was VERY clear to Rosberg on the other hand.

I think that might be inferring too much. I don't believe RB said that to Vettel, but that Webber said that to Vettel after the race, so not as to stand infront of the camera and say "what the fuck, man, the team told you to stay behind me". I'm in a flank two position

I don't know. I kinda believe Vettel when he says that he made a mistake, they should've been clearer. Not some "multi 21" BS, Mercedes was VERY clear to Rosberg on the other hand.

Multi 21 is RBR's order for hold position. Even random GAFers knew it. Vettel can't hide behind ignorance, he was being a dick and the sad part is that Helmut will swoop in and save him from repercussions.

stryke

BGHbbkNCAAEyNsd.jpg:large

Lucius86

Banned
Multi 21 is RBR's order for hold position. Even random GAFers knew it. Vettel can't hide behind ignorance, he was being a dick and the sad part is that Helmut will swoop in and save him from repercussions.

Agreed, he was also told to not be stupid by Christian.

Juicy Bob

The way I see it, Red Bull shouldn't have enforced team orders with 14 laps or so to go, but Webber has a right to be annoyed that Seb ignored a direct order.

DBT85

They said several times back off, this is silly, don't be a cunt. There was no mistake in his actions. The mistake was pissing off the guy in the same car because there are going to be races where Webber is faster and now he is even less inclined to obey team orders to let Vettel win.

Onto McLaren. What the fuck McLaren. I don't like Button all that much, think he is completely overrated, but seriously, how many fucking times. It's like Russian roulette going in for new tyres at McLaren.

And why the fuck was Perez coming in right at the end on the final lap for a new set!?! What the fuck kind of strategy is that?

Whitmarsh out.

Vettel is a three times world champion and the darling of the Red Bull team. He took a pragmatic approach, in that ignoring the time orders will have little or no negative consequences in the long run, at least in terms of the team. Basically when you're that good, you invent your own team orders. Brilliant driver, but he's just too hard to like.

stryke

Onto McLaren. What the fuck McLaren. I don't like Button all that much, think he is completely overrated, but seriously, how many fucking times. It's like Russian roulette going in for new tyres at McLaren.

And why the fuck was Perez coming in right at the end on the final lap for a new set!?! What the fuck kind of strategy is that?

Whitmarsh out.

He was over 30 seconds ahead. It was a safe pit.

duckroll

Whitmarsh out.

Lewis Hamilton is loyal to McLaren to the end, just as McLaren is loyal to him to the end. Today's race showed that Hamilton still considered McLaren his team when he was going into the pits, and it also showed that McLaren had to fuck things up big time so Lewis would feel good about his move to a new team. See? It all makes sense! Loooool.

Adamm

Whitmarsh out.

Perez was no where near anyone, he didn't get overtaken & was no where near the person in front.

I think Perez got the fastest lap on those tires.

That's surprising? Low fuel and a scrubbed set of tyres will do that. Just seems like an insane decision given how poor their pitstops have been lately, might have ended in disaster with Perez having to retire.

Perez was no where near anyone, he didn't get overtaken & was no where near the person in front.

Not worried about being overtaken, it's the terrible McLaren pitstops.

Shaneus

The way I see it, Red Bull shouldn't have enforced team orders with 14 laps or so to go, but Webber has a right to be annoyed that Seb ignored a direct order.
It was orders after the last pit... it was clear they'd both bring it home. Team wants the constructors points and Seb was stupid to put all of those at risk.

Seb still sounding like a douche. "I tried to apologise in front of everyone". "I don't really care about the criticism that is coming up now".

Man, I hope he loses his composure after this for the rest of the season.

Vettel apparently said "I didn't do it deliberately" and Webber apparently sighed and chuckled slightly.

Webber also said he's going to go to Australia for a surf and that will be his medicine. Hopefully that medicine will be enough.

Then apparently Vettel said "It was a surprise to me". Yeah, bullshit.

Wouldn't surprise me if Webber said "fuck it, I don't need this anymore" and walked. There's only too much of these you can take before it just turns into a grind, and he longer enjoys racing, at least for Red Bull.

Business

Vettel's overtake on track was great racing though. If Webber had his car changed to a more conservative setting because the team decided P1 and P2 was ok as it was after the last pit stop then Vettel's move is definitely shitty. Seeing the reactions by everyone at RBR it seems to be the case.

Btw does anyone have any information on what did change exactly on Webber's car that hit his performance and more importantly, why couldn't it be reversed once he started to obviously be under attack?

Dead Man

Multi 21 BS? If Seb can't even keep track of the radio codes he has no business being in the damn car.

cmr-94

Wow, so much to talk about!

Great result for RB...that initial stint on the intermediates and perhaps lower temps reaally saved them from their struggles with tyre wear.
Vettel will have lost quite a few fans after this - Webber was soo funny after the race!

Rosberg should have been let past early on during the stint....was more dangerous running so close for so long. you never no, could have challenged webber for 2nd

Mclaren fucking up again on the pitstop and reliability. go for all out speed on pitstops instead of reliability

Massa and raikonnen had surprisingly quiet races

fuenf

Vettel is a three times world champion and the darling of the Red Bull team. He took a pragmatic approach, in that ignoring the time orders will have little or no negative consequences in the long run, at least in terms of the team. Basically when you're that good, you invent your own team orders. Brilliant driver, but he's just too hard to like.

Actions like these will ensure that Webber won't extend his contract and the possible replacement drivers are far worse. Things are looking good for Vettel ;)

Juicy Bob

I don't believe Vettel when he says he didn't know he wasn't supposed to pass Webber. I don't blame him for wanting to ignore team orders and win, but he could at least be honest about that.

Adamm

Actions like these will ensure that Webber won't extend his contract and the possible replacement drivers are far worse. Things are looking good for Vettel ;)

But bad for red bull.

Martin brindle raised the point that vettel got booed last week & now he did this. He is becoming the new Schumacher

Vettel just said victory should have been Webber's, little bit late now.

When your actions are that loud, your feeble words count for very little after the fact. I'd have more respect if he just owned up and said "hey, I got lost in the moment, I just wanted the win too much" or something along those lines. Don't treat us like idiots with the "victory should have been Webber's" line, because nobody is buying it.

Shaneus

Vettel's overtake on track was great racing though. If Webber had his car changed to a more conservative setting because the team decided P1 and P2 was ok as it was after the last pit stop then Vettel's move is definitely shitty. Seeing the reactions by everyone at RBR it seems to be the case.

Btw does anyone have any information on what did change exactly on Webber's car that hit his performance and more importantly, why couldn't it be reversed once he started to obviously be under attack?
Webber wound the car back because the team told him just to bring the car home, play it safe, preserve running gear etc. Vettel didn't, so he had extra performance.

So no, it wasn't great racing.

fuenf

That's surprising? Low fuel and a scrubbed set of tyres will do that. Just seems like an insane decision given how poor their pitstops have been lately, might have ended in disaster with Perez having to retire.

Why would it be surprising? It's pretty clear that they changed tires in order to get the fastest lap (or feared that old ones would fall apart). They didnt have anything to lose with the pit stop, give them some credit. Even McLaren doesn't fuck up when they have 4-5s to change tires.

duckroll

Yeah, if you are going to be a bitch, at least own up to it.

His reversal is really strange because both his body language and his actual conversations post-race leading up to and during the podium indicate that he knew he was going against team orders and he felt good about it. No one is going to buy the ignorance act. He should just admit that he took advantage of the situation and it was his bad. Either that or he should just not say anything and have nothing to apologize for. :p

Shaneus

Red bull cancelled team photos lol
That's fucking great. A MASSIVE statement from the team, more than anything else, I think.

Probably puts the entire team offside too, because they put in a great effort to get everyone over the line yet it's been soured with this.

Double H

His planned final tyre stint didn't last and was passed by Hulkenberg. He had plenty of time to cover Vergne to pit and went on to set the fastest lap.

To RTL he said he did the wrong thing and looked quite embarrased about it. The reporter said Schumacher would have done the same but Seb didn't took this as a compliment.

Top Bottom