• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

stryke

Wow...

http://www.unlap.co.uk/search?type=product&q=multi+21

multi-21-mens-sports-grey_1_large.jpg
multi-21-mens-blue_large.jpg
multi-21-ladies-red_large.jpg

For pushing ~5 laps more? That's not how engineering works.

Actually, it is. The heat generated by the end of the race means that those final 10 laps are much more stressful, which is why the teams tell their drivers to put the engine into saving mode unless it is absolutely necessary and you are racing for the win against another team.

Vettel's engine might not fail, but he has greatly increased the risk of a DNF in the next race.

Shaneus

That's the most limp finger I've ever seen.

Also interesting to hear Kravitz say Webs said Seb thought he might've been slow given he was preserving tyres and fuel. But it's stupid to think that Webber was going slow because he wasn't capable... they'd been matching speed (and even pulling away on a few occasions) so Vettel's thinking doesn't hold any water at all.

Can't wait to see the media blowout from this. I'm predicting Vettel vs. the world.

Where is the press conference?! I want to see it.
I just watched the stream (I assume you mean the press conference with what's his name from Sky on the podium). No idea if it's up anywhere or not... but I can't wait to see footage again of Mark walking right away.

OOH, it's on now! Edit: Only a snippet from it. That was definitely never shown on Sky in full at all. I expect it will be available somewhere online in the next day or so.

Shaneus

No, not really.

Many teams drive with 100% power until the very last laps and engines were never a really problem for those teams.
Not in a place with humidity like Malaysia. And not with the potential tyre issues we saw today... hell, you heard them say that Vettel had to watch his front right only a lap or two after overtaking Webber. And I think Webber will have less chance of his car playing up at the next race because he took it so easy towards the end.

Yep. I think everyone thought that was going to be the talking point of the race when it happened.

It's amazingly dumb. There is no way they could have thought he would be able to drive 'till the first pitstop with that busted front wing.

Still, it became pretty apperent that the Ferrari is still too slow.

Business

Why didn't Ferrari just call Alonso in with broken wing. Maybe he could at least scored some points.

Terrible decision by Ferrari

Eh yes if the wing breaks it's a terrible decisition. If you can stay on track a few laps until conditions are right for slick tyres then it's the right call that may still let you fight for the win.

Mark Webber said:
"We [he and Seb] have had a lot of history, I respect Seb. It is still very raw at the moment because we had a plan before the race.... I should probably stop now.

"It's very, very, very hard for Seb to sit there when we are told to bring the car home safely. I turned the engine down and was reassured twice that we would not use the cars against each other. It's very hard for people to understand the situation, they think they know what went on but they don't.

"It puts a lot of heat on certain people. Unfortunately there is no rewind button but it will put some pressure on certain people. We have three weeks now before the next race and I will catch some waves on my board in Australia."

iLDJASW1wuf12.gif

Shaneus

You missed the bit where he said "Surfing down there will be my medicine. Whether it will be enough medicine, I don't know". I think Webber will be holding onto this for a VERY long time. My fingers are crossed that Vettel does as well, because I don't think he could handle any animosity toward him, especially from the public and the media.

PS. The "Think before you drive" is so incredibly appropriate in that situation. Also, you missed the bit two seconds after where he slammed his bottle on the table! Hate to tell a man how to do his job, but... do it properly ;)

cmr-94

Interesting comments from Webber..he talked about going back to Australia may be the medicine for this, but the medicine "may not be enough"

Every single team under fuels the car to save weight and once the race settles down they go into fuel conservation mode via either engine mapping or just not driving the car as hard.

If both RB drivers were told to enter this mode, Seb ignored it and then used the advantage to make the pass it is even a bigger dick move than I first thought. Not like it's the first time though, he waited until Webber turned down his engine in Turkey before "attempting" his pass.

Shaneus

Ahaha, love the most recent comment:
"Marks press girl in her mind: "Please help yourself and don't say something stupid, please help yourself and don't say something stupid, please help yourself and don't say something stupid..."

PS. He calls her Pinks. Adorable <3

Also, "completely reassured twice". If he knew he could race, Seb wouldn't have been anywhere near enough to overtake him.

Humidty can be a factor but the engines for Malaysia were never really supposed to be used again in the first place.

http://www.vivaf1.com/reliability_prev.php

The most teams changed to new engines after Malaysia last year.

Engines reliability is a non factor these days.
Completely ignoring the tyres then? Mark even mentioned preserving tyres in that post-race interview with Sky.

Deadman

The 7 point difference from today is bigger than the title winning gap in '07, '08, '10 and '12. If webber is the closest contender and its actually a 14 point "swing" then include '06 and '09 too. Watch this be brought up all over again at the end of the season.

Business

All the commentators did.

I'm not saying there was no risk, but nobody could be sure, it was a gamble and it went wrong. Yes of course it looks like the wrong call after we know it broke, my point is nobody could know, going in with that traffic on the first lap meant getting a few points with some luck, staying out meant risking it but still have a chance for the top positions.

duckroll

I'm not saying there was no risk, but nobody could be sure, it was a gamble and it went wrong. Yes of course it looks like the wrong call after we know it broke, my point is nobody could know, going in with that traffic on the first lap meant getting a few points with some luck, staying out meant risking it but still have a chance for the top positions.

No, actually I think everyone who was looking at the camera footage showing the front of the Ferrari with the wing dragging on the ground knew for sure that he should have pitted. Maybe Ferrari were looking at different cameras! Lol.

You missed the bit where he said "Surfing down there will be my medicine. Whether it will be enough medicine, I don't know". I think Webber will be holding onto this for a VERY long time. My fingers are crossed that Vettel does as well, because I don't think he could handle any animosity toward him, especially from the public and the media.

PS. The "Think before you drive" is so incredibly appropriate in that situation. Also, you missed the bit two seconds after where he slammed his bottle on the table! Hate to tell a man how to do his job, but... do it properly ;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=51295539&highlight=#post51295539

;)

Business

No, actually I think everyone who was looking at the camera footage showing the front of the Ferrari with the wing dragging on the ground knew for sure that he should have pitted. Maybe Ferrari were looking at different cameras! Lol.

Or they just did have a different opinion to 'everyone' :p

DBT85

No, not really.

Many teams drive with 100% power until the very last laps and engines were never a really problem for those teams.

I doubt a single team has run a single car at 100% engine for a whole race (or even 70% of it) for the last 3 years.

Back in the day they sure did, they could fuel up whenever they wanted and they'd get a new engine every race.

These days the engines need to last the distance so they all wind them down. When they need the speed to get past someone or on an in lap then they press the magic button and get full power.

Shaneus

:p

Wasn't there some footage (I'm sure someone mentioned it in here) that one of the Ferrari crew threw their hands up in the air when he drove past (before the wing fell off)? If that was the case, pretty much says it all.

Webber looks like he's a second away from crying in that post-presser interview.
I would be too if I could've been equal top of WDC points but instead am 14 points behind. That's a massive fucking deficit, given how close the drivers have been in the last year or so.

The 7 point difference from today is bigger than the title winning gap in '07, '08, '10 and '12. If webber is the closest contender and its actually a 14 point "swing" then include '06 and '09 too. Watch this be brought up all over again at the end of the season.
Yeah, basically this. If there's a difference of less than that over Webber if Vettel takes the WDC, Mark will be fuming. And there's every chance it could be *that* close with how both drivers have performed so far (Mark moreso, given the issues he had last week and salvaging 6th).

duckroll

Or they just did have a different opinion to 'everyone' :p

Yeah well, sure. Just like they had the "opinion" that it would be a great idea to leave the fueling tube attached to Massa's car as it drove out of the pitlane that one year in Singapore. Opinions can be wrong! :)

Nolan.

I think sebastian doesn't really do himself much favors when he gets into situations like this, I see flashes from him that I really don't like too much. Have to say at first it was amusing and didn't think much of it but after hearing Mark's interview I sympathize with him a lot. He has played the honorable role quite often with the team and whenever he's looking good and has the better of sebastian he just gets hard done by. Anyway more interestingly I am beginning to think Mercedes might be able to get into the championship fight fuel saving and holding back etc. they weren't looking too bad. Mclaren continues with their record of car decent to good= operational errors and car = bad decent pits stops and strategies. So much to talk about really enjoyed that race. Oh and I'm really liking Nico and Lewis as team mates my respect for them went up this race, both humble to each other.

Juicy Bob

My issue with Seb isn't him ignoring team orders and going for the win, it's that he insists he "wasn't aware" of the situation that he was supposed to hold position.

Rocky: "C'mon Seb, this is silly."

He knew alright. Don't lie about it. Be honest and say "I ignored team orders and wanted to win the race", just like Webber admitted to ignoring team orders at Silverstone 2011.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
On the other hand, Mclaren looked MUCH better and Button could be at least 5th if he survived that pit stop. Also they were very pleased with tyre deg.

Shaneus

This was what Rosberg said that I didn't manage to capture fully earlier:
"It's a team effort," Rosberg began. "I respect the team's opinion, it was an important day. We've had such a tough time in previous years, so to be third and fourth, fighting with Red Bull, is such a milestone.

"For the team to want us to bring it home third and fourth is fully understandable and I know if it had been the other way around they would have done the same. There will be times to fight between team-mates in the future."

Rosberg added that his time for a podium finish will come as the season continues and has vowed not to hold the outcome of the race in his memory for the long-term.

"I wouldn't say they owe me one, as I understand" he said of the situation. "I drive for Mercedes and the guys back at the factory put their life into building the cars and do such a fantastic job. Of course there's a small part of me that wants to go flat-out to the end and be the one standing on the podium, but the time for that will come."
So between the lines, a pretty hefty dig at Vettel.

Nolan.

My issue with Seb isn't him ignoring team orders and going for the win, it's that he insists he "wasn't aware" of the situation that he was supposed to hold position.

He knew alright. Don't lie about it. Be honest and say "I ignored team orders and wanted to win the race", just like Webber admitted to ignoring team orders at Silverstone 2011.

That too but he can always claim a dodgy radio etc but it's clear rocky was constantly in contact with him about it.

On the other hand, Mclaren looked MUCH better and Button could be at least 5th if he survived that pit stop. Also they were very pleased with tyre deg.

In Button's hands not sure what was up with Perez though his deg didn't look too hot and his racing in general

Massa

Let's not forget Vettel has a history of disregarding orders such as "you're about to run out of fuel, settle down ffs". The kid is just not capable of letting go, for better and worse.

Exactly.

He could actually come out and make a good case to say - look, I'm a racer, I race and that's what I did.

Now he's going on about how he realised he made a massive mistake. When was that? He had 15 laps to realise it. All he cares about winning and he doesn't give a shit about his team mate or much regard for what his bosses tell him so he should just be up front about that.

Top Bottom