• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Shaneus

Noticed this on another website (F1Fanatic) and thought it was interesting:

"There’s a knob on the RB steering wheel marked Multi. Don’t know what it does for their settings (maybe it’s some presets for multiple settings instead of individual adjusts) but I imagine it’s a reference to that setting."

That's what it sounds like to me... a setting that puts all the settings into conservation mode. So when there's a declaration of "Multi X", then whatever that setting represents (whether it's conservation/low speed, or high speed/no conservation) then the car should be driven appropriately. Still eager to see if we can see what setting Seb had when he finished.

Also, was there really just silence on the radio after Horner told him off once the race finished, or did Sky just cut it early? Because that made it seem like he wasn't saying anything at all in response.

Exactly.

He could actually come out and make a good case to say - look, I'm a racer, I race and that's what I did.

Now he's going on about how he realised he made a massive mistake. When was that? He had 15 laps to realise it. All he cares about winning and he doesn't give a shit about his team mate or much regard for what his bosses tell him so he should just be up front about that.
Do you think there could've been a chance that if he *genuinely* gave a shit after the overtake he would've given the spot back before the race finished? Obviously there was radio contact afterwards so he would've known, but it didn't seem to make any difference... he was still pulling away 1s/lap until the end, so it's obvious to all parties involved that he was running on a different setting.

I think that given how things turned out, I'm glad we had something where a lot of people had the chance to see the sort of bloke Webber is rather than writing him off so frequently. I guess people would see now what I saw with Kimi after he won last year... unless the people get the spotlight, you never think about changing your opinion of them. Almost makes you wonder what Vettel is like behind the scenes when it isn't a race weekend and there aren't any cameras around. Is he a petulant little shit or does he genuinely behave with the teams best interests in mind? Sure that question will be asked a bit more often now.

PS. I'm out now, guys. It's been a wild one! Can't wait to read all the opinion pieces that will surely be scattered across blogs and sporting websites around the world :)

PPS. Guess a lot of people are watching videos of Webber giving the finger:
IxhCcXq.png

Edit: Fuck, he really does look upset in Sunhi's post below. Not even angry, just... depressed. Poor bastard :(

Dead Man

Let's not forget Vettel has a history of disregarding orders such as "you're about to run out of fuel, settle down ffs". The kid is just not capable of letting go, for better and worse.

He is incapable of obeying an order not to go for the fastest lap.

Pretty sure I have heard of multi 21 before.

Either way vettel broke free and drove like his title was as risk, he was hungry for that first place spot.

Caramello

Both drivers accepted the race plan before the race started. Both drivers were told to maintain position. Webber stuck to the strategy and turned down his engine and drove to care for his tyres being told twice on the radio that he was safe to do so and Vettel would not attack. Vettel then attacked Webber while he had a faster car, engine settings higher and not looking after his tyres. If Webber had thought Vettel was going to attack him then he would have had the same speed Vettel had and Vettel would not have been able to get close enough to try anything. Remember earlier in the race Webber was lapping as fast or faster than Vettel. Vettel basically cheated his way to a win. Or at the very least it was very unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Is this basically the thoughts of most here?

Dilly

Banned
Both drivers accepted the race plan before the race started. Both drivers were told to maintain position. Webber stuck to the strategy and turned down his engine and drove to care for his tyres being told twice on the radio that he was safe to do so and Vettel would not attack. Vettel then attacked Webber while he had a faster car, engine settings higher and not looking after his tyres. If Webber had thought Vettel was going to attack him then he would have had the same speed Vettel had and Vettel would not have been able to get close enough to try anything. Remember earlier in the race Webber was lapping as fast or faster than Vettel. Vettel basically cheated his way to a win. Or at the very least it was very unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Yes.

Dead Man

Saw a post elsewhere that made the point that if Seb had just said no to the team order and given Mark a heads up that it was still on, most of the people angry would not have been nearly so worked up.

So yes.

Edit: Also, why in the hell are the stewards unable to investigate an unsfe release during the race? Lazy bastards.

DBT85

Saw a post elsewhere that made the point that if Seb had just said no to the team order and given Mark a heads up that it was still on, most of the people angry would not have been nearly so worked up.

So yes.

Pretty much. It would have been a massive fuck you to Mark and the team but at least Mark could have cranked it to 11 and done what he could.

If you get told your teammate isn't going to make a pass, you're safe, you then don't expect to see him flying past.

ibcd3eFInGwjDB.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21916318
Boss Stefano Domenicali says it was Ferrari's decision not to call Fernando Alonso in to repair a damaged car early in the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Domenicali said: "We took a risk that didn't pay off."

He said the decision was based on the drying conditions and the hope the wing would survive long enough for them to change tyres at the same time.

"After the touch, the race was not over and I considered the situation where there was a transition from wet to dry," Domenicali said.

"In normal conditions you would come in, but in this transition, if you believe the wing can survive, you try and bide your time. You may have the chance to pit to change to the dry tyres and be the hero of the weekend.

"Unfortunately the wing didn't stay there."

He emphasised that the decision to stay out was not Alonso's.

"The decision was from the pit wall," Domenicali said.

"Obviously Fernando can feel it in the car, but he could not see the damage from his view.

Terrible decision, you could clearly tell once the wing was touching the ground it was never going to last another lap let alone until the track dried up.

Dead Man

ibcd3eFInGwjDB.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21916318

Terrible decision, you could clearly tell once the wing was touching the ground it was never going to last another lap let alone until the track dried up.

Yep. It's very well to say hindsight and all that, but everyone saw that it was stupid as soon as he drove past the pits.

Hell, if you want to be a hero, pull him in and put slicks on then, that is a risk that may have paid off and may not have, but he would still have been in the damn race.

When I first saw the Alonso accident I thought Webber had come across and knocked Alonso's wing off!

So Seb now has the same number of wins as Sir Jackie, 27. 1/27th the class though.

Adamm

http://i.minus.com/ibcd3eFInGwjDB.gif[/IMG

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21916318[/url]

Terrible decision, you could clearly tell once the wing was touching the ground it was never going to last another lap let alone until the track dried up.[/QUOTE]

Either way Alonso's race was screwed - if they pitted him when his wing was broke , he would have had to pit again 3 laps later for slick tyres.

Yeah it would have been better than ending up in the gravel but i can see why they gambled with that decision

I just really, really wish that Webber was that little bit better. It'd be enough to make Vettel sweat over the course of a season, rather than the odd race here and there. When he had his chance a few years back, I thought that, like Montoya and his shot at the title, it would be a one time deal; he wouldn't get close to the championship like that ever again. Vettel's just too good now, which wouldn't be so bad, if he wasn't such a prick about it, like today.

Shaneus

Malaysian Grand Prix: Team Reaction

Car 1 Sebastian Vettel, Finish Position: 1st, Start Position: Pole
“I messed up today. I would love to come up with a nice excuse as to why I did it, but I can’t. I can understand Mark’s frustration and the team not being happy with what I did today; I owe an explanation to him and the whole team. I will try to explain to them later. We talk about this situation happening many times and what we will do if and when it happens and normally it doesn’t, but today it did and I should have translated the call into action. I got the call and I ignored it. Mark and I are used to fighting each other when we’re close, but with the tyres how they are now, and not knowing how long they will last, it was an extremely big risk to ignore the call to stay second. We could have ended up finishing eighth or ninth after destroying the tyres in those two laps; I put myself above a team decision, which was wrong. I didn’t mean to and I apologise. I’m not happy I’ve won, I made a mistake and if I could undo it I would. It’s not easy right now and I owe apologies to Mark and the team.”

Car 2 Mark Webber, Finish Position: 2nd, Start Position: 5th
“I think Sebastian has respect for me and I have respect for him, but the situation today was not handled well. It’s hard to put your finger on it all now after the race; when we’re racing on the limit and pushing as hard as we can, then it’s the worst situation for a team. I am sure they are bricking themselves and know that things can go wrong. There’s a bit of history to this as well; my mind in the last 15 laps was thinking about a lot of things, but I was happy with the way I drove. I tried to isolate what happened at the end and we got something out of it today, but of course I’m not satisfied with the result. This puts heat on a few people and unfortunately there’s no rewind button. I know people want raw emotion from us after these situations and it’s there, but we need to remain cool. There’s three weeks until the next race, so time for us to work on things.”

Christian Horner, Team Principal: “Before getting into anything else, it was a phenomenal team performance from the car and pit crew today with the pit crew recording fantastically fast stops. We recorded our fastest ever time on Mark’s second stop, which is possibly a new best-ever in the pit lane. Obviously there’s an awful lot of debate about what happened at the end of the race. Our position after that finial pit stop was all about managing the race until the end and conserving our tyres, getting the cars to the finish and achieving maximum points. Unfortunately drivers’ interests can sometimes come into conflict with the teams’. Sebastian decided to take things into his own hands today and race Mark, thankfully making a clean pass and switching the order to the flag. It’s frustrating. Formula One is both a team and an individual sport and sometimes there is a conflict between a driver’s desire and a team’s interest. What happened today is something that shouldn’t have happened. It’s something that Sebastian has apologised for and it’s something that we will discuss internally as a team.”

The BBC have a retro Grand Prix series starting tonight on BBC Four @ 9pm

Motor Racing at the BBC: That Petrol Emotion

Episode 1/5:

A celebration of the glory days of motor racing through archive coverage of the sport on the BBC. This edition focuses on the 1950s, when British drivers Stirling Moss and Mike Hawthorn took on the might of Argentinian ace Juan Manuel Fangio.

Episode 2/5:

The celebration of the glory days of motor racing through archive coverage of the sport on the BBC continues with a focus on the emergence of British teams in Formula One. The programme examines the careers of Jack Brabham and Graham Hill - both former mechanics who became world champion drivers - and recalls how Vanwall, Cooper and Lotus came to dominate the sport for more than a decade from the late 1950s onwards.

Episode 3/5:

The celebration of the glory days of motor racing through archive coverage of the sport shifts its attention to the 1960s, the golden age of British racing. The programme recalls the World Championship successes of drivers Jim Clark and Graham Hill, and explores how the country's interest in the glitz and glamour of the Grand Prix was reflected in the BBC television schedules - specifically with the programme Wheelbase, a forerunner of Top Gear.

Aegus

Webber really needs to get out of there. It's been like this for about 3 years now. He's the F1 equivalent of a simp or abused girlfriend*. Actually he may be the new Rubens. Always comes backs with promises that it won't happen again.

*I'm really not comparing the situations. I know one is way worse than the other.

I used to kinda like Vettel as well, but nah. He's a cock through and through.

Road

I hate team orders with regard to position. I think it's bullshit. But this isn't a case of a driver "rebelling" against team orders in the name of sportsmanship. It is a driver who happily agrees with the system the team has put in place before the race, and believes in team orders as long as it benefits him. This is not really a victory for sportsmanship. :p

If we're talking about a driver who openly speaks out against team orders, and makes it clear to his team and his team mate that he will not play along with any of these instructions, and then puts his money where his mouth is during the race, I don't think anyone would think less of him. Any team would probably fire such a driver though. :p

Yep, it's not about ignoring team orders, it's about how hypocritical Vettel was. We don't even need to look at another race, for 20 min earlier he was asking the team to do something because he was "faster" than Webber.

Maybe Vettel just had an epiphany and will never again comply with the BS that are team orders.
Riiight.

Malaysian Grand Prix: Team Reaction

Car 1 Sebastian Vettel, Finish Position: 1st, Start Position: Pole
“I messed up today. I would love to come up with a nice excuse as to why I did it, but I can’t. I can understand Mark’s frustration and the team not being happy with what I did today; I owe an explanation to him and the whole team. I will try to explain to them later. We talk about this situation happening many times and what we will do if and when it happens and normally it doesn’t, but today it did and I should have translated the call into action. I got the call and I ignored it. Mark and I are used to fighting each other when we’re close, but with the tyres how they are now, and not knowing how long they will last, it was an extremely big risk to ignore the call to stay second. We could have ended up finishing eighth or ninth after destroying the tyres in those two laps; I put myself above a team decision, which was wrong. I didn’t mean to and I apologise. I’m not happy I’ve won, I made a mistake and if I could undo it I would. It’s not easy right now and I owe apologies to Mark and the team.”

Car 2 Mark Webber, Finish Position: 2nd, Start Position: 5th
“I think Sebastian has respect for me and I have respect for him, but the situation today was not handled well. It’s hard to put your finger on it all now after the race; when we’re racing on the limit and pushing as hard as we can, then it’s the worst situation for a team. I am sure they are bricking themselves and know that things can go wrong. There’s a bit of history to this as well; my mind in the last 15 laps was thinking about a lot of things, but I was happy with the way I drove. I tried to isolate what happened at the end and we got something out of it today, but of course I’m not satisfied with the result. This puts heat on a few people and unfortunately there’s no rewind button. I know people want raw emotion from us after these situations and it’s there, but we need to remain cool. There’s three weeks until the next race, so time for us to work on things.”

Christian Horner, Team Principal: “Before getting into anything else, it was a phenomenal team performance from the car and pit crew today with the pit crew recording fantastically fast stops. We recorded our fastest ever time on Mark’s second stop, which is possibly a new best-ever in the pit lane. Obviously there’s an awful lot of debate about what happened at the end of the race. Our position after that finial pit stop was all about managing the race until the end and conserving our tyres, getting the cars to the finish and achieving maximum points. Unfortunately drivers’ interests can sometimes come into conflict with the teams’. Sebastian decided to take things into his own hands today and race Mark, thankfully making a clean pass and switching the order to the flag. It’s frustrating. Formula One is both a team and an individual sport and sometimes there is a conflict between a driver’s desire and a team’s interest. What happened today is something that shouldn’t have happened. It’s something that Sebastian has apologised for and it’s something that we will discuss internally as a team.”

Those words are kind of empty when you've walked away with the win, and left your teammate picking up the pieces. Words are easy, actions are much harder. I would have so much respect if Vettel actually had an opportunity to write his wrong, in giving up a victory for Webber, if such an opportunity came about in the next race. However, it's easy to put out this sort of apology after the fact, Vettel has the points, the win and ultimately that's what's all about.

Webber really needs to get out of there. It's been like this for about 3 years now. He's the F1 equivalent of a simp or abused girlfriend*. Actually he may be the new Rubens. Always comes backs with promises that it won't happen again.

*I'm really not comparing the situations. I know one is way worse than the other.

I used to kinda like Vettel as well, but nah. He's a cock through and through.

Webber's situation is kind of worse when you think about it. With Rubens there was absolutely no allusions that he was anything other than the number two driver. It's more insidious with Webber, as he's working under the assumption that there isn't a number one and number two driver. When push comes to shove, Red Bell will happily push Webber under the bus every time, but in the meantime they're happy to pretend that Vettel and Webber are equals. If this had happened the other way round, Red Bull would be less concerned about managing the situation, and more concerned with how to fuck Webber over.

John_B

Greedy behavior by Vettel. He probably has benefitted from this type of agreement before without thinking much of it.

The devil also got the better of Button back in 2010 where he jumped Hamilton after both drivers were told to "conserve fuel". At least he backed off after Withmarsh got on the radio again.

IISANDERII

ibfp859MuQ3JgO.gif

Still, a class act because I would've punted him off the road without hesitation and wouldn't give a damn if my race was over too. /roadrage

duckroll

If you guys don't start behaving like what the forum at large expects, I'm going to have to start actually moderating in this thread. :p

Ark

If you guys don't start behaving like what the forum at large expects, I'm going to have to start actually moderating in this thread. :p

Careful now, wouldn't want some actual discussion going on in here.

To be fair I haven't read anything in here since page 48. I was out last night and I just finished watching the race. I won't bother posting my opinions because I'm just going to assume someone else has already covered what I wanted to say :p

pants

Cant we just penalty box people and have them wear a Vettel avatar for a week when they cross the line? Thats a punishment worse than a ban and lessons will be learnt

Oh dear Force India
Something new happen or are you just catching the race?

The thing that annoys me most is that Vettel asked the team to tell Webber to let him past earlier in the race. Also that he says after the race that it wasn't intentional?

Webber shouldn't really complain too much either since he has ignored similar team orders himself and tried to pass Vettel at Silverstone 2011. At least he admitted that he ignored the team orders.

duckroll

Okay, that was basically my patience at its limit. Pro-tip: Don't tell people to go fuck themselves, don't tell people to fuck, don't insult each other like this is some cheap bar. Heated arguments over drivers and teams are fine and totally expected, just don't cross the line to insulting each other.

TCRS

Banned
Ok, that was fucked up, but nothing Michael Schumacher wouldn't do. You don't get to be a seven times world champion without being ruthless every now and then. Still, pretty shitty for Mark Webber, I'm feeling sorry for him.

Ark

Ok, that was fucked up, but nothing Michael Schumacher wouldn't do. You don't get to be a seven times world champion without being ruthless every now and then. Still, pretty shitty for Mark Webber, I'm feeling sorry for him.

It was Seb's chance to pull a Senna in 91, but instead he pulled a Ferrari in 2002.

Adamm

Okay, that was basically my patience at its limit. Pro-tip: Don't tell people to go fuck themselves, don't tell people to fuck, don't insult each other like this is some cheap bar. Heated arguments over drivers and teams are fine and totally expected, just don't cross the line to insulting each other.

If only vettel had followed team orders! None of this would have happened! :(

Top Bottom