• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Juicy Bob

The thing that gets me about the Mercs is that they know the drivers (unlike Mark and Seb) actually get on well together. I'd trust Rosberg and Hamilton to race without running into each other far more than I would Webber and Vettel.

On the Rosberg Hamilton thing as it seems to keep being missed, they were racing rosberg got ahead several times only for hamilton to put his foot down again and retake the position, rosberg had plenty of chances to get ahead he just get them to stick.

In the end as they were in very very safe positions and merc didn't want to risk losing fuel, tyres or bodywork they were both told to slow down so they did, not happy about it but rosberg had the vast majority of the race to make something stick and he couldnt.

Well, Hamilton did have a much lighter car don't forget.

f0rk

yeah because istanbul made him lose his first championship :)

on a different matter, can we talk about how bad mclaren were today. both cars were retired today, that was awfull.

I can't tell if the Sky coverage is awful or you don't pay attention because Perez got 2 points

rosberg had the vast majority of the race to make something stick and he couldnt.

Interesting thing there is that Hamilton obviously used up massive amounts of fuel pushing to defend throughout the race... now that's the sort of thing that would punish you vs other drivers, but in this case it wont seem to do you any harm vs a teammate.

Edit - I'm amused that 2 points is a good result for McLaren. Shows how dire their situation is.

dalin80

Banned
Interesting thing there is that Hamilton obviously used up massive amounts of fuel pushing to defend throughout the race.

I would say he used up more fuel pushing to attack, very fast in and out laps trying to get the jump on the red bulls and also spending a significant amount of time in the 2s dirty air window that wouldn't have helped.

Interesting thing there is that Hamilton obviously used up massive amounts of fuel pushing to defend throughout the race... now that's the sort of thing that would punish you vs other drivers, but in this case it wont seem to do you any harm vs a teammate.

Mercedes didn't fuel Hamilton for a podium finish as they didn't expect Alonso to fail so hard and open that opportunity up. It was a poor decision in the end.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Predicted Perez correctly and had Massa/Rosberg off one. Alonso didn't quite work out. Would have had a few more points if Webber would have won and Vettel stayed second.

Mercedes didn't fuel Hamilton for a podium finish as they didn't expect Alonso to fail so hard and open that opportunity up. It was a poor decision in the end.

Yeah, certainly looks that way.

I would say he used up more fuel pushing to attack, very fast in and out laps trying to get the jump on the red bulls and also spending a significant amount of time in the 2s dirty air window that wouldn't have helped.

Sure, bits of both, but obviously in normal circumstances things like that have consequences, and like he said himself, he was told to save fuel from early on.

Omiee

Is this mercedes pace a one off like last year at china? They seem pretty quick to me. They were setting fastest laps all race long. Im really glad we got 4 top teams now fighting for wins. Lets hope mclaren can join them.

Still cant get over the fact how stupid the decision by ferrari was. He lost a lot of points. I could def see him fighting for the podium if he was still in the race.

IISANDERII

Very limited viewing angle from inside vettels colon.
applause-gif-3.gif

Roki6

Banned
Did Mercedes have problems with underfueling last year?

Last year I was blamig McLaren for it's incompetence to properly fuel Lewis car in several races, but now same thing happend in Mercedes so I'm not sure it was all MCL fault anymore. Could it be that LH is just not good in managing fuel consumption as planned before the race?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes is very careful this year, so they are making these mistakes. Looks like they were targeting 4th place at best, but Alonso retirement, poor Felipe's pace and mellow Lotus gave them this chance.

dalin80

Banned
Did Mercedes have problems with underfueling last year?

Last year I was blamig McLaren for it's incompetence to properly fuel Lewis car in several races, but now same thing happend in Mercedes so I'm not sure it was all MCL fault anymore. Could it be that LH is just not good in managing fuel consumption as planned before the race?

There seems to have been a gamble that the poor weather and tendency for safety cars will reduce the need for a high fuel load, in the end the weather was good and someone had chloroformed charlie whiting. The merc engine is supposedly very thirsty so the merc powered cars start off at a massive weight disadvantage to the renault powered cars overly tempting them to skimp on the four star.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
As dalin80 said, but i fear that Mercedes will not sort gas guzzling problems for one reason - 2014 and new engine.

Foshy

Well, I'm actually willing to bet that in this same race, if Rosberg said fuck it to team orders and overtook Hamilton, most people in this thread would also be celebrating his heroism. Is it hypocritical? Sure. But I don't think it's surprising that underdogs are easier to like!

Thing is, Vettel actually asked for a team order himself earlier in the race ("Get him out of the way") and then later disobeys when they tell him to stay back. That's kinda hypocritical too.

Duke Togo

Pretty shady stuff today. Weird race all around really...inner team dramas, Force India having a goddamn meltdown in the pits, and terrible decision making by Ferrari. I hope the next race is decided by great driving, and not by drama.

Roki6

Banned
There seems to have been a gamble that the poor weather and tendency for safety cars will reduce the need for a high fuel load, in the end the weather was good and someone had chloroformed charlie whiting. The merc engine is supposedly very thirsty so the merc powered cars start off at a massive weight disadvantage to the renault powered cars overly tempting them to skimp on the four star.

As dalin80 said, but i fear that Mercedes will not sort gas guzzling problems for one reason - 2014 and new engine.

Oh right. I forgot they have the same (thirsty) engine.
Tnx

Certinty

Thing is, Vettel actually asked for a team order himself earlier in the race ("Get him out of the way") and then later disobeys when they tell him to stay back. That's kinda hypocritical too.
Did Vettel back off after that comment?

If not it just makes it even funnier as Webber starting lapping even faster than him.

Shaneus

It's like ramblings of a madman written down in some dirty public toilet stall.
It *is*. Metaphorically speaking.

About the "dirty public toilet stall".

What Vettel did was a cunt move no doubt about it, directly disobeyed the team but at the end of the day we'd have all probably did the same to win, or at least I would have. Rosberg must be commended for doing as he was told staying behind Hamilton, I thought he would've done the same thing that Vettel did and just go past.
You'd have overtaken a teammate knowing he was using lower settings? You're a bit of a cunt too, then.

(Don't take that personally, just saying that it was a dick move to "fight" with him when obviously he's on a slower setting. You don't just magically go slower than your teammate toward the end of a race for no reason)

If not it just makes it even funnier as Webber starting lapping even faster than him.
I don't think so. And Webber was never holding him up, from memory. I think they were trading 1/100s back and forth, but never enough to justify a request for them to move over.
Those comments just make Vettel look even worse after this.

It's like the 2010 Silverstone wing all over again... except Mark isn't coming away with a win :/ Like I've said earlier, I hope the vitriol from the general public and the press gets to Vettel. He's shown that he hasn't been able to handle it all that well and unless he goes on a 100% media blackout, he'll know exactly what everyone thinks. Hoping that there are some crafty banners at the Chinese GP :D

Ark

Oh wow, my predictions couldn't have been more wrong. Fantastic.

Gathered 24 points for my efforts this week. Three weeks before we get to try again!

Seb's an okay guy off the track, total cunt on the track though.

Hopefully Mark starts disobeying team orders and we'll see how well Seb holds up the rest of the season.

Shaneus

I just had a quick look at that team radio video that someone posted, and the stats on the screen... at the time he said that, Vettel's fastest lap was .300s quicker than Mark's. No idea on how consistently they were lapping, but like I said earlier, doubt it was more than .100s or so (but again, going back and forth, not all one way).

Deadman

22 points, down 24 places. Fail. It was kimi and fernando throwing every other prediction off by at least 2 that got me.

Strange that horner has mentioned brazil last year a couple of times in interviews ive seen. Seems he's hinting that mark didnt help then and this is some kind of revenge.

kharma45

You'd have overtaken a teammate knowing he was using lower settings? You're a bit of a cunt too, then.

(Don't take that personally, just saying that it was a dick move to "fight" with him when obviously he's on a slower setting. You don't just magically go slower than your teammate toward the end of a race for no reason)

Yep, and I'll freely admit that, but that would be the type of driver I'd be if I was fortunate enough to be in F1.

It starts

5vweCGj.png

oh lawd im still second and managed to close on prupose lololol

d9QFbck.png

Fuck, up to 5th :eek:

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Wat, 20 points on predictions. Not too bad, but still bad, lost 22 places in the league :D

lost it at Jenson's Grip :D

Do you really think that Webber didn't turn everything back on when Vettel started coming at him? Not a chance.

You know his personality well enough to know that there's no way he'd be giving up that place without a fight. Plus it was fairly easy to see that there was no shortage of speed available when he was defending against a DRS assisted Vettel. Tyre condition might be something else entirely, but it's pretty clear that the car wasn't handicapped by settings when they were swapping places back and forth through the corners.

Shaneus

Do you really think that Webber didn't turn everything back on when Vettel started coming at him? Not a chance.

You know his personality well enough to know that there's no way he'd be giving up that place without a fight. Plus it was fairly easy to see that there was no shortage of speed available when he was defending against a DRS assisted Vettel. Tyre condition might be something else entirely, but it's pretty clear that the car wasn't handicapped by settings when they were swapping places back and forth through the corners.
Did you see the times? He was dropping almost a whole second a lap to Vettel for each lap afterwards. That's why Vettel won by four seconds and not a few hundredths.

Afterwards, once Vettel had passed, of course. He knew he wasn't going to be able to pass him by the end of the first full lap (and you could tell he was really trying to stay with him)... but I'm talking about before.

Like I said, you know full well there's no way Webber's just letting Vettel slide past whilst he's got his settings turned down. Remember, like Mark himself said, there wasn't a particular reason for it, it was just his understanding that he'd already won the race and was cruising to the end.

after the last stop obviously the team told me the race was over, we turned the engines down and we go to the end. I want to race as well, but in the end the team made a decision, which we always say before the race is probably how it's going to be - we look after the tyres, get the car to the end

Don't forget, they were fighting from the second Webber got out of the pits until Vettel passed him two laps later.

Two laps after that Webber was still in DRS (on lap 48 he was side by side with Vettel into turn 1) and only then did he start dropping back.

Zeknurn

Wow, I even gained five positions. Up to 12th now. I thought I was screwed when Kimi turned out to be struggling but betting on a Vettel win and Grosjean 6th gave me some much needed points. Thank you Vettel for ignoring team orders.

edit: As for the race. I don't care about the drama between Vettel and Red bull. It did however make for a very entertaining race. I do however think it's a shame that both Lotus and Force India failed to deliver when they showed so much promise beforehand.
Has anything come from the Kovalainen showing? With Marussia planning to score points this season, Caterham has to do something about their rookie line-up and getting Kovalainen back in would be a much needed improvement.

Top Bottom