• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Hammer24

Banned
BTW, Ross Brawn is sticking to his story.
He just declared in an interview, that both drivers were having fuel problems. ROS weren´t as bad as HAM, as he was able to use DRS and had HAM slipstream. If he had allowed ROS to overtake, he would have had the same problems as HAM.

Believe him or not - he´s a goner...

Can we please get some news already? This whole Vettel hate is getting old and boring.

Happy now?

mclem

I think it's pretty damn clear. Webber has never been one to pay attention to team orders (at least not in a timely manner, if at all) and now Vettel has shown he wont either.

Like I said before, they need to come up with some sort of punishment that their drivers actually fear.

They'll have the Top Gear team at a race. If the team want to punish you, you won't know about it until they come out to do your pitstop. Everyone wins!

McNum

They'll have the Top Gear team at a race. If the team want to punish you, you won't know about it until they come out to do your pitstop. Everyone wins!
...I want an episode showing the Top Gear team trying to do an F1 pit stop. That can only end in tears.

Hammer24

Banned
I can't get over how smooth everything in the pits looks this year. It's like a symphony of motion.

_66576811_hamiltonpit.jpg

Samooooooooooth, yep! ;-P

Omiee

But would Vettel have even had the chance had they been playing by the same rules? Who's to say that he would've been anywhere near Webber if Webber wasn't following the plan?

Are you really arguing Webber could beat Vettel in a race?

Only reason he was in the first place was because of the awful decision by the team to bring vettel in as early as they did.

Webber lost 3 seconds to vettel in his in and outlap at the time of the last pitstop.

Webber should focus on getting off the line. I dont get how anyone can be so smug as he is. Talking shit about the team all this time and being a number 2 driver. This team is the first time he actually became relevant in this sport. He should be thanking them for the chance after every freaking race.

He fucked his own chances in the 2010 season in korea and the races that followed. He was dominated in 2011 and was not on the same level as Vettel in 2012.

Also Red Bull should figure out what they want. They bashed Ferrari for using team orders and said in the past that they let their drivers race. Well let them race for christ sake.

While I agree with most you wrote, this particular sentence is somewhat unfair, as WEB was already under order to save his engine at that point.

Don't they generally race until the final pitstop? Would seem a touch unfair for the driver on a different strategy otherwise.

Hammer24

Banned
Don't they generally race until the final pitstop? Would seem a touch unfair for the driver on a different strategy otherwise.

Ross Brawn alleges that the race engineers told ROS and VET to save fuel in lap 34...
In the end it depends on the car, and the race situation. I think RBR was already sure they´d win this race well before the last pitstop.

Ross Brawn alleges that the race engineers told ROS and VET to save fuel in lap 34...
In the end it depends on the car, and the race situation. I think RBR was already sure they´d win this race well before the last pitstop.

It was clear who would win the race, after the 2nd lap.

Omiee

While I agree with most you wrote, this particular sentence is somewhat unfair, as WEB was already under order to save his engine at that point.

He was told to save the tires not his engine. Thats what i heard on team radio messages.

Correct me if im wrong but webber could easily could have switched his engine to full mode when he saw vettel right at his back. They had 3 laps to fight over position and in the end Vettel won that battle.

You could just see it in how Vettel drove that he wanted that win bad. He clearly was faster than webber and chose to keep distance between him and webber in stead of killing his tires. I think he was preparing himself to fight after the last pit stop. His ideal situation would have been a better in and out lap so he could have come out in front of webber.

His time in the pits was slower that webber though which caused him to come out behind webber.

Shaneus

If my ass looked like that, I'd show it around too.
6cELNjil.jpg

Are you really arguing Webber could beat Vettel in a race?

Only reason he was in the first place was because of the awful decision by the team to bring vettel in as early as they did.

Webber lost 3 seconds to vettel in his in and outlap at the time of the last pitstop.

Webber should focus on getting off the line. I dont get how anyone can be so smug as he is. Talking shit about the team all this time and being a number 2 driver. This team is the first time he actually became relevant in this sport. He should be thanking them for the chance after every freaking race.

He fucked his own chances in the 2010 season in korea and the races that followed. He was dominated in 2011 and was not on the same level as Vettel in 2012.

Also Red Bull should figure out what they want. They bashed Ferrari for using team orders and said in the past that they let their drivers race. Well let them race for christ sake.
l7BlAUr.jpg

He was told to save the tires not his engine. Thats what i heard on team radio messages.

Correct me if im wrong but webber could easily could have switched his engine to full mode when he saw vettel right at his back. They had 3 laps to fight over position and in the end Vettel won that battle.

You could just see it in how Vettel drove that he wanted that win bad. He clearly was faster than webber and chose to keep distance between him and webber in stead of killing his tires. I think he was preparing himself to fight after the last pit stop. His ideal situation would have been a better in and out lap so he could have come out in front of webber.

His time in the pits was slower that webber though which caused him to come out behind webber.
Wow, you're taking all this negativity toward Vettel far more dramatically than I thought.

Massa

They did let them race, Webber won that race and they were told to bring the cars home.

You are wrong. Vettel never put his car into "multi 21" mode or whatever, meaning by the time Webber realized that his team mate disobeyed his team it was already too late. Also not really a "battle", more like a sneak attack.

You are wrong. Vettel never put his car into "multi 21" mode or whatever, meaning by the time Webber realized that his team mate disobeyed his team it was already too late. Also not really a "battle", more like a sneak attack.

That doesn't really jive with the numbers we saw. Webber lost all of his time on his inlap and pit (he went from 3.5 seconds ahead to neck and neck)... so he either made a mistake, they screwed up his pit (they didn't) or basically turned his engine off rather than down.

As for when Vettel made his "sneak attack" he still took more than a lap to pass him so obviously Webber had plenty of time to turn everything back on (and then two laps within DRS range to attack him back).

Omiee

They did let them race, Webber won that race and they were told to bring the cars home.

Vettel never got the chance to win that race. He was screwed by his first pit stop when he got out in traffic. I cant remember when RBR have pitted him first in a situation like sunday. Normally they pit Webber to see how things go.

Also im not wrong, the fight took place over 3 laps. Vettel tried overtaking him on several occasions. Webber had enough time to fight back as he did and change his settings. Brake bias and engine settings are changed in seconds on a f1 car.

That doesn't really jive with the numbers we saw. Webber lost all of his time on his inlap and pit (he went from 4.1 seconds ahead to neck and neck)... so he either made a mistake, they screwed up his pit (they didn't) or basically turned his engine off rather than down.

As for when Vettel made his "sneak attack" he still took more than a lap to pass him so obviously Webber had plenty of time to turn everything back on (and then two laps within DRS range to attack him back).

Exactly. Webber lost a lot of time in his inlap. His pit stop was faster than vettel and his time in the pits was shoter. Vettel just nailed his in and outlap to close that gap.

There is no way in hell webber was suprised. He had enough time to fight back.

Also if webber was as fast as people think he should have overtaken vettel after he was overtaken. He got close but never got close again and vettel pulled away.

Vettel lost a lot of time behind webber during lap 23 to 28 or 29. He was within a second those laps but lost time behind him, thats why the mercs got so close to them.

Sorry, just double checked my numbers, he was 3.5s ahead not 4.1s. Either way, that's a MASSIVE amount of time to lose in one lap. Maybe he overcooked his tyres a bit.

Unrelated - Why on earth was Webber on hards for the final stint? He pitted 2 laps after Vettel who was on the medium tyre for the remainder of the race. Especially given Vettel had done 17 laps on mediums at the start of the race... they have to have known it was doable.

Omiee

Sorry, just double checked my numbers, he was 3.5s ahead not 4.1s. Either way, that's a MASSIVE amount of time to lose in one lap. Maybe he overcooked his tyres a bit.

Unrelated - Why on earth was Webber on hards for the final stint? He pitted 2 laps after Vettel who was on the medium tyre for the remainder of the race. Especially given Vettel had done 17 laps on mediums at the start of the race... they have to have known it was doable.

Team control knew vettel would be on the faster tire on his last stint.

Also webber eats his tires. Everyone knows he is no magician with his tires like some other drivers.

Addnan

What would be the point in taking the risk with the mediums. Maybe they thought he had the race won and his team mate wouldn't attack since there is no threat behind.

Omiee

Just rewatched the last few laps. Webber was getting attacked by vettel during 3 laps.

Is that not enough time to pump up all your settings and defend like crazy and create a gap?

Vettel did as soon as he took webber.

That fight for the win was so much fun to watch.

What would be the point in taking the risk with the mediums. Maybe they thought he had the race won and his team mate wouldn't attack since there is no threat behind.

Possibly. But the team had to know that Vettel had a brand new set of mediums to come and that's he'd be massively racy on low fuel. Surely they should have used those earlier if they knew they were just going to let Mark coast to the end?

Either that, or Webber should have got out of the way on the first stint when he was on a different strategy?

(This all aside from the disobeying orders thing, just find the strategy choices odd)

DBT85

When did this convincing webber to get on the podium part happen? He was the first one to walk to the podium.

Webber got to the weigh in much earlier than Vettel and Hamilton. By the time they arrived in the little box with drink and watches he was nowhere to be seen. Apparently didn't want to go outside. Then he did come in, I think said something to Hamilton then blanked Vettel.

"Mark"

"Multi 21 Seb"

That was lap 45, probably the only lap where they were both pushing as hard as they could (when Vettel was trying to overtake Webber). Seems when Vettel passed Webber neither bothered putting in any more fast laps.

Of course, that puts paid to the "Webber had his engine turned down when Vettel passed him" aspect.

Top Bottom