• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Hammer24

Banned
He was told to save the tires not his engine. Thats what i heard on team radio messages.

We do not hear ALL radio messages on TV, teams only have to disclose a certain percentage.

Correct me if im wrong but webber could easily could have switched his engine to full mode when he saw vettel right at his back.

He could have, but didn´t, as he choose to follow his teams orders.

His time in the pits was slower that webber though which caused him to come out behind webber.

Thats only half the truth. He made up 4 more seconds in the following two laps. Without WEB engine down it might have taken him much longer to get to him - and who´s to say how his tyres would have looked like by then?

Likewise. But for me, add in Petrov as well. Caterham dun fucked up getting rid of two experienced drivers.

What kind of fetish is that you sport with secondary talents?
;-)

Edit: Oh, and no word here yet, that Claire Williams is now principal at WIL?
Claire-Williams-articleOpeningImage-55c7b424-672440.jpg

Guys, let it go. Vettel did a cunt move, he won, it's over. Even Ecclestone is okay with it.

"If I was Sebastian Vettel, having won three World Championships for the team, and somebody came on the radio to me and started giving me instructions I'd probably do exactly the same as Kimi Räikkönen did when he came back and they gave him some instructions," Ecclestone explained to Sky Sports. "I'd say 'I know what I'm doing'."

Having brushed off claims that Vettel undermined team boss Christian Horner’s authority, Ecclestone said the 25-year-old was simply showing his ruthlessness.

"What you have to do is think very carefully," he commented. "I always say, show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Sebastian is not a loser. Sebastian is a winner."

Ecclestone added that disciplinary action would be an unwise route for Red Bull to take, with sanctions such as a race ban too costly for the team’s title ambitions.

"I don't think I'd give that any consideration to be honest," he said. "I'd say to Sebastian, 'in future don't make me look an idiot.' But they don't care who wins. They want to win the championship. For them what difference does it make?"

Edit: Oh, and no word here yet, that Claire Williams is now principal at WIL?
Claire-Williams-articleOpeningImage-55c7b424-672440.jpg

Only second in command. Deputy Team Principal.

Hammer24

Banned
German BILD Zeitung (yellow press, so use salt liberally) reports WEB to be a goner at RBR after the season. Either Ricciardo or da Costa to replace him.

Shaneus

Wow, who woulda thunk it... second female team principal in the space of two months! Good shit.

What kind of fetish is that you sport with secondary talents?
;-)
I dunno, there was something I liked about him. Actually, I think it was more pity than anything else. The Russian driver who could never really smile even when he tried so hard, saw that he had trouble making friends in the UK, first and only Russian driver in F1... I just wanted him to do well, damnit :(

And he wasn't that bad a driver, either.

PS. Not sure what to think about that German news article. No idea how respected they are (or not) but I doubt anything's been confirmed *yet*. But is Ricciardo really that much of a shot at taking it over Vergne? And no offense to Ricciardo, but there's no fucking way they'll get Constructor's with someone like him... he needs a few more years on the stove.

Hackbert

Hamilton: Mercedes now second best team behind Red Bull

Ehh.. a tad too optimistic. But a part of his opinion i hope comes true:
Hamilton thinks the form shown by Mercedes is proof that the team is now in a position to win races.

"Definitely," he said. "I think this [Malaysia] proves that if we keep going in the direction we are heading, then there's a possibility that we could win a race at some stage this year."

but what a gap between the headline and a maybe chance at winning.. press

Hammer24

Banned
I dunno, there was something I liked about him. Actually, I think it was more pity than anything else. The Russian driver who could never really smile even when he tried so hard, saw that he had trouble making friends in the UK, first and only Russian driver in F1... I just wanted him to do well, damnit :(

And he wasn't that bad a driver, either.

For a pay driver, yeah. ;)

PS. Not sure what to think about that German news article. No idea how respected they are (or not) but I doubt anything's been confirmed *yet*. But is Ricciardo really that much of a shot at taking it over Vergne? And no offense to Ricciardo, but there's no fucking way they'll get Constructor's with someone like him... he needs a few more years on the stove.

BILD says it would be paramount to get a quiet #2.
IF this would come true, my money would be on da Costa.

Ark

BILD says it would be paramount to get a quiet #2.
IF this would come true, my money would be on da Costa.

That's when the team starts spiraling downwards in a Williams-esque style and McLaren jumps back up into RBR's position.

We can hope.

But is Ricciardo really that much of a shot at taking it over Vergne? And no offense to Ricciardo, but there's no fucking way they'll get Constructor's with someone like him... he needs a few more years on the stove.

he has no chance of securing a redbull seat with helmut marko there, he doesn't like him, he's shit, and when vergne beats him again this season his f1 career is over.

buemi will replace webber, or if they decide to look outside the redbull setup, button and raikkonen will be available.

He could have, but didn´t, as he choose to follow his teams orders.

Give me a break. He set his fastest lap of the race when fighting Vettel (and particularly when he was in front of Vettel, so it's not like he even had DRS). There's literally no way he wasn't on the full engine mode. Add to that Horner saying that as far as he was aware Webber was on full engine mode at that point.

...and obviously I'm repeating myself, but Webber fucking hates Vettel, we all know full well that he's not going to let him cruise past (and we also know that he's ignored team orders in the past to fight him).

Sorry to interrupt this interesting discussion, but I think this is news:

Force India signs new deal with Mercedes
As the sport prepares to enter the new turbocharged V6 era next year, the renewed tie-up will serve as a key area of consistency for Force India, which is currently competing in its fifth Formula 1 campaign with Mercedes-Benz powertrains.

"Our new agreement with Mercedes-Benz for the coming years is the most significant in the history of Sahara Force India," said team boss Vijay Mallya. "With new powertrain regulations being introduced next year, I can't think of a better partner to work with as Formula 1 enters a new and exciting era.

"The agreement gives us the long-term stability we require and will enable us to continue our journey towards the front of the grid."
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/292473/force-india-signs-new-deal-with-mercedes/

Not entirely surprising. It's going to be interesting what Marussia is doing and if Bianchi brought some Ferrari V6 engines with him. Now that STR is going to use Renault engines and RBR's gearbox (which makes them a proper Red Bull B-Team again), Ferrari really needs a third team. Collecting data after such a drastic shift is incredibly valuable.

Hammer24

Banned
Add to that Horner saying that as far as he was aware Webber was on full engine mode at that point.

All we can do is speculate, I doubt they´ll show the full data around.

...and obviously I'm repeating myself, but Webber fucking hates Vettel, we all know full well that he's not going to let him cruise past (and we also know that he's ignored team orders in the past to fight him).

And he´s the lesser driver. I never argued otherwise.

All I´m saying is, that initially (at least) WEB drove in cruising mode, and VET didn´t, which obviously made it easier for VET to close the gap. Personally I think he´d gotten to WEB anyway - but it would have taken him longer, and who knows how his tyres would have looked by then.

No question that he slowed down on his inlap (for whatever reason), but some people are insistent that his actual tussle with Vettel wasn't "fair" because he was on a lower engine mode at the time... which is basically laughable.

Vettel is a dick for ignoring team orders (more for lying that he didn't realise), but there's an eagerness to try and add to that and it seems unnecessary.

pappe

Give me a break. He set his fastest lap of the race when fighting Vettel (and particularly when he was in front of Vettel, so it's not like he even had DRS). There's literally no way he wasn't on the full engine mode. Add to that Horner saying that as far as he was aware Webber was on full engine mode at that point.

So you are trying to say that Webber hates Vettel and cooking up this story just because he is pissed that Vettel beat him?

So you are trying to say that Webber hates Vettel and cooking up this story just because he is pissed that Vettel beat him?

Who on earth said Webber had anything to do with any of this? It's the rabid fanbase that's going a bit mental (conveniently ignoring when Webber has done similar things in the past).

Hammer24

Banned
As much as I'm unsure about the new engines, it should be really interesting to see who comes out near the top. All bets are off.

In Merc I trust! *insert-ARK-avatar-here*

No question that he slowed down on his inlap (for whatever reason), but some people are insistent that his actual tussle with Vettel wasn't "fair" because he was on a lower engine mode at the time... which is basically laughable.

Vettel is a dick for ignoring team orders (more for lying that he didn't realise), but there's an eagerness to try and add to that and it seems unnecessary.

I hope you didn´t get the impression, that I argued in this direction. Because I agree.

In other news:
- critics silenced:
RBR and MER were the biggest critics of the new tyres on Friday and Saturday, even going so far as to ask to bring last years compounds back. After both finished on the podium on Sunday, they are pretty quiet now.
- Anyways
Pirelli is only allowed to change compounds in season, if there would be a security risk. FER and LOT already signalized, that they´d veto any proposed changes (especially for more cold resistant tyres)
- FER
The red divas are pretty sure they´d won the race - if it had stayed dry. They say they only lost time while the track was wet, being the fastest car on dry feet.
- track temperature
MER is sure they lost the race, because track temperatures went significantly down in the third stint. Ross Brawn said, that RBR had way more problems on higher temps, and only got the tyres working over the distance due to this. He had expected them to make another stop, and said thats why WEB choose the harder mix.
- MCL
MCL is poised to set a new pit stop record. Their ambition: getting below 2 sec!

The only question is Webbers in lap and that might have to do with his tires going past the magical cliff.

The whole Webber's engine being turned down while he's in a dogfight with vettel and setting his fastest time is a fairy tale for the webber fanbase to cling onto. Because how else could vettel possibly pass him, right?

DBT85

That would be insane.

Not sure it's a worthwhile target either, especially as it's likely to result in more mistakes.

They've not had many since they got stuff working last season to be fair. They had more problems when just trying for a normal 4s than when trying for the 2.5s.

Zozobra

Hey guys, for those you who have traveled for F1 or I suppose just traveled in general, how far in advance do you need to book your accommodations?

I'm looking in to places to stay around Suzuka, but sites like Expedia are telling me that nothing is available. I suppose it's entirely possible that all the rooms are booked at this point, but I'm also wondering if maybe it's still too far in advance to make bookings?

James Allen says Marussia are in talks with Mercedes.

McLaren/Honda is a done deal for 2015.

So, with Honda rumoured to be returning next season, that only leaves one team with no engine for 2014...

dat Williams-Honda.

kharma45

James Allen says Marussia are in talks with Mercedes.

McLaren/Honda is a done deal for 2015.

So, with Honda rumoured to be returning next season, that only leaves one team with no engine for 2014...

dat Williams-Honda.

I would've thought with Bianchi going there they'd be going with Ferrari power.

Hey guys, for those you who have traveled for F1 or I suppose just traveled in general, how far in advance do you need to book your accommodations?
In my experience it's safest to book within a couple of weeks of the dates being confirmed. There are some tracks that only have a handful of nearby hotels and they book up QUICKLY.

In your case it wont be that it's too far ahead to book (I've booked nearly a year in advance for some things, try a different city with the same dates), it'll likely be that they're gone.

I would've thought with Bianchi going there they'd be going with Ferrari power.

That's what I thought as well. Bianchi doesn't really have any big sponsors, so you'd think Marussia could find a rookie with more money under his belt. Why pick Bianchi, if not for the Ferrari connection?

Top Bottom