• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

pants

This is perfect avatar-quote situation but I guess it would be too much to have a 4rth reply on the same post.

Anyway, yesterday I started watching the 2006 season review, so many things I had forgotten, I couldn't remember how Alonso managed to seize his second WDC with a car much slower. Ferrari were really unlucky on some races and Schumacher wasn't on his good old form.

That and his first season at Minardi is what really made me understand how special Alonso is. He hardly put a foot wrong and pretty much wrote himself a ticket to any team he wanted.

Was it Stoddart who was the head of Minardi when Alonso came in?

Yep, the PS-01. Beautiful car too.

XIGklj5.jpg

Such a long time ago.

Hammer24

Banned
RBR news is... non-news.
Marko still wants WEB out after the season. He´s the one who brought those stories to german newspapers, even hinting so far that WEB would be driving Porsche next year for Le Mans.
Mateschitz still wants to keep him. He says they need a very experienced driver for the new engines and cars next year. Getting someone like RAI is bsically out of the question, as this would destroy RBR´s young driver concept. But those young drivers in that program are still far from being on a level with WEB, and Mateschitz still loves the constructor championship very much.
So in the end, the RAI talk is probably about replacing VET when he goes to FER.

Zeppu

McLaren have held the record since last year’s German Grand Prix, where they changed four wheels for Jenson Button in 2.31s. We went under that in Malaysia with Seb’s first stop being 2.13s. Mark’s first stop, two laps later was also 2.13s. The crew then lowered the new benchmark to 2.05s when Mark came in again, and his two subsequent stops were 2.21s and 2.26s.

Sebastian Vettel Stop 1 (Lap 5): 2.13 seconds
Mark Webber Stop 1 (Lap 7): 2.13 seconds
Mark Webber Stop 2 (Lap 19): 2.05 seconds
Mark Webber Stop 3 (Lap 31): 2.21 seconds
Mark Webber Stop 4 (Lap 43): 2.26 seconds

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Article/Gone-In-2.05-seconds-021243333725579

Shaneus

RBR news is... non-news.
Marko still wants WEB out after the season. He´s the one who brought those stories to german newspapers, even hinting so far that WEB would be driving Porsche next year for Le Mans.
Mateschitz still wants to keep him. He says they need a very experienced driver for the new engines and cars next year. Getting someone like RAI is bsically out of the question, as this would destroy RBR´s young driver concept. But those young drivers in that program are still far from being on a level with WEB, and Mateschitz still loves the constructor championship very much.
So in the end, the RAI talk is probably about replacing VET when he goes to FER.
Is there anywhere that's reporting that? I'm not surprised that it's from Marko himself that he wants Webber out. Still have no idea why the (what seems to be a) vendetta against him.

cmr-94

Sebastian Vettel Stop 1 (Lap 5): 2.13 seconds
Mark Webber Stop 1 (Lap 7): 2.13 seconds
Mark Webber Stop 2 (Lap 19): 2.05 seconds
Mark Webber Stop 3 (Lap 31): 2.21 seconds
Mark Webber Stop 4 (Lap 43): 2.26 seconds

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Article/Gone-In-2.05-seconds-021243333725579

That's awesome. I love how they switch to the light system and straight away smash Mclaren who have been working on it for a year. It also shows it's still possible to be consistent under the 2.5 mark without fucking up every third pitstop.

How come so little has been made of this when Mclaren's was a huge deal?

It´ll be a huge deal when they break the 2sec barrier.

We need birds-eye footage if it happens. The Ferrari stop is over a second slower and it looks beautiful as a gif.

RBR news is... non-news.

RBR's young driver concept is great and all, but do they even have any talent in line? It's hard to judge the STR drivers, when they don't really have a competitive car.

Shaneus

RBR's young driver concept is great and all, but do they even have any talent in line? It's hard to judge the STR drivers, when they don't really have a competitive car.
Would you say their current car is as good as when they had Buemi/Alguersuari at the wheel? I honestly wouldn't be a good one to judge.

Shaneus

I remember seeing that stop & thinking it looks stupidly fast, but the commentators didn't mention it so I was assumed it wasn't anything special
I remember thinking the same thing. I barely think they even mentioned he pitted at all, let alone the speed.

Shame we don't have a top-down like that Ferrari one.

Shaneus

Damn straight. That's why I was somewhat behind Virgin when they first entered F1... I see Richard Branson as someone at least a little Stoddart-like in spirit ;)

PS. Someone posted this on Webber's FB page, tehehe:
anWmhbb.png

Hammer24

Banned
We need birds-eye footage if it happens. The Ferrari stop is over a second slower and it looks beautiful as a gif.

..and it needs to be a slo-mo, too! lol

Would you say their current car is as good as when they had Buemi/Alguersuari at the wheel? I honestly wouldn't be a good one to judge.

No matter if the car is slightly better or worse, neither Ricciardo nor Vergne have done anything to instill much confidence, just as Buemi and Alguersuari.
And da Costa still hasn´t driven a single F1 GP, so there is the lack-of-experience problem.
One might argue, that VET is also a nice motivation for WEB, with this little rivalry going on...

In other news:
- list of private cars of F1 drivers:
HAM still has to wait for his new car, he´ll get a Mercedes SLS Black Edition
ROS Mercedes SLS Roadster/Cabriolet (plus several more Mercs)
VET Infinity FX50S
WEB Infinity M37S (and Porsche GT2 RS, paid by himself)
ALO Maserati Gran Cabrio and Ferrari 458 Italia
MAS Maserati Quattroporte and Ferrari 599
BUT McLaren MP4-12C and Mercedes AMG C63 DR520
PER Subaru Impreza and McLaren MP4-12C Cabrio
RAI Lotus Evora S and Renault Megane RS (he sold his Ferrari Enzo, rumors say with only 2000km on the clock)
GRO Lotus Evora S and Renault Megane RS
MAL Toyota Landcruiser
BOT Renault Megane RS
HUL Range Rover Sport (sold his BMW X3)
GUT no private car (no joke!)
DIR no private car, but a Mercedes C Class was made available for him
SUT didn´t want to say, but it is known he has a Porsche GT2 (Techart)
VER Golf GTI (sold his VW Scirocco R)
RIC Golf GTI (sold his Golf GTD) and Toyota Hilux
PIC Renault Megane RS
VDG Renault Megane RS
BIA Alfa Romeo Giulietta
CHI Mini John Cooper Works

Radio Pitlane:
Some drivers are mad, that neither the WEB finish line maneuver nor the middle finger has even been looked at by the commission. Other drivers would have been fined, they say.

If DM really is set on keeping Webber next year (and Webber is willing to continue), I can imagine a scenario in which Marko is politely moved onto another RB project to help smooth things over. He's been at the epicentre of most of Webber's gripes in one way or another.

Radio Pitlane:
Some drivers are mad, that neither the WEB finish line maneuver nor the middle finger has even been looked at by the commission. Other drivers would have been fined, they say.

They're right, they would have been. I don't think F1 wants to give the whole thing any more attention though.

Hamilton has a purple Zonda 760RS if you want to add that to your list. His car even has his own designation the 760LH. It's employer friendly to boot!

lewis-hamilton-gets-a-pagani-zonda-45183_1.jpg

Ark

Hamilton has a purple Zonda 760RS if you want to add that to your list. His car even has his own designation the 760LH. It's employer friendly to boot!

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/lewis-hamilton-gets-a-pagani-zonda-45183_1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wow, I think that actually looks pretty good!

Hammer24

Banned
Hamilton has a purple Zonda 760RS if you want to add that to your list. His car even has his own designation the 760LH.

You sure he still has it? In the recent interview he named the Black Edition he´s waiting for, and having an SL AMG 65 Black Edition as his current car.

You sure he still has it? In the recent interview he named the Black Edition he´s waiting for, and having an SL AMG 65 Black Edition as his current car.

Hold on, let me ask him ;-) The car is probably only 8 months old. It's possible that he flipped it for some high priced dance lessons to help him with his problem, but that seems too soon to get rid of something made entirely to his specification.

Listing off a bunch of Mercs sounds like an honest, but predicable answer to me.

DBT85

lewis-hamilton-gets-a-pagani-zonda-45183_1.jpg

Maybe a car nut can explain for me. What the fuck is that around the rear wheel arch that looks like sellotape?

Ugh. Ugliest Zonda of all. I don't mind the colour, but they ruined every good shape on the car with that.

The exterior color isn't bad, but the purple anodized gauges are a little much.

If he did want to get rid of it, the first person I'd call would be Chappelle and try and sell him on imagining it with a "Purple Stuff" or "Grape Drank" US license plate.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
TSN in Canada is going to start airing Friday Practice (I assume the second session) starting with the Chinese GP. Now they just need a pre-race show.

Top Bottom