• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

D2mXPl6.jpg

Best runner up smile in the business. God knows he has the experience to perfect it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Nice. Would love to drive one, would hate to race one. Rossi said its because its not as 'rewarding' as modern F1 cars(dont even know what means in this context), but I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't want to be pushing that thing to the ragged edge lap after lap. Chances of coming out of a crash alive aren't that great.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Just cannot imagine driving this coffin on 4 wheels around Nordschleife or any other roadtrack in those years. Balls of titanium.

Nice. Would love to drive one, would hate to race one. Rossi said its because its not as 'rewarding' as modern F1 cars(dont even know what means in this context), but I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't want to be pushing that thing to the ragged edge lap after lap. Chances of coming out of a crash alive aren't that great.

Yeah, rewarding to him seems to just mean faster. Understandable considering his age and career progression. Faster is always better when looking for a paycheck. Degree of difficulty would be romantic crazy talk!

modulaire

Lawnmowers...

F1: Bernie - Formula One Could Amplify V6 Engine Sound
Bernie Ecclestone is worried about the sound of the turbo V6 engines coming in 2014...

The calmer tones of F1's new-generation turbo V6 engines could be artificially enhanced, according to Bernie Ecclestone.

The F1 chief executive is worried the sport will lose some of its appeal to fans when next year's engines fail to live up to the dramatic noise of the current V8s.

The Grand Prix circuit promoters, led by Australia's Ron Walker, are also worried.

"As Bernie will attest," Walker told F1 business journalist Christian Sylt, "it (the V6) sounds like a lawnmower engine, and we will be fighting this tooth and nail."

Less publicly worried are the engine makers themselves, who see the new regulations as a welcome step into the automobile's modern era.

It is also expected that Honda could now return to F1, amid rumors Volkswagen and Toyota are also interested in the V6 rules.

But Ecclestone thinks the radical change of regulations is actually a risk for the suppliers.

"The danger is that what will happen is what always happens with the manufacturers, which is that if it doesn't work they will stop," he told Autoweek.

And another risk is that the 'lawnmower' tones of the V6s will also drive the spectators away.

"What Ron (Walker) is saying is that you have to make sure that the engines will make it to 16,000 revs," said Ecclestone.

"That was agreed and now we know they won't rev to anything like that. The fuel flow has been agreed so even if you have big tanks it still can't rev (to 16,000)."

Admitting it is not his preferred option, Ecclestone nonetheless revealed that artificially enhancing the V6 engine sound is a possibility.

"Maybe we can make them sound like the current engines," he said.

Walker added that in 2011, "(FIA president Jean) Todt told me in Australia that the next thing is they are going to have a hybrid.

"I said 'what about the noise' and he said they will put a squeak box on the back of the car. God almighty!"
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-formula-one-could-amplify-v6-engine-sound/

Ark

Didn't Mercedes say that the new V6 engines sound just fine?

The only people I've seen complain about the engine sounds are LdM and Bernie, and they complain about almost anything.

h3ro

I would have agreed with you guys about not caring about the sound if I hadn't watched those F1 season reviews posted earlier... man I miss those V10s.

As long as we still get that awesome doppler effect as the cars zoom past the mics, I'm good.

Dave_6

So a friend of mine told me there is an audio clip of the '14 turbo engine on Youtube. I've searched and searched and can't find anything; anyone else?

Gruso

So a friend of mine told me there is an audio clip of the '14 turbo engine on Youtube. I've searched and searched and can't find anything; anyone else?
I'm not sure if it exists. It might have originated from this reddit post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/1bst6f/what_the_2014_engines_could_sound_like/

The main video linked is a simulation of sorts, which pitches up existing V6 turbos (such as Nissan GTR) to what they would sound like at 18000rpm. There's a video in the replies which someone claims is a Renault V6 F1 engine on a dyno, but it's a V8.

I think the closest we'll get at the moment are F1 videos from the V6 turbo era of the 80s (some of those are linked above too).

Mogwai

Right now I just remembered a dream I had this night:

I'm walking around an area with a lot of big trucks. After a while I realize that there's a Ferrari truck, probably something like the ones the drivers/team staff live in when they travel around. Felipe Massa approaches me and I'm invited into the truck. Somehow I never get in as and I end up getting squashed between two trucks as the area is now brimming with trucks. And then I wake up.

Very strange and I'm not a fan of Massa anyway. I don't know what to make of it, but perhaps it's a sign and we might see some impressive results from Massa in China?! ;)

Shaneus

Very strange and I'm not a fan of Massa anyway. I don't know what to make of it, but perhaps it's a sign and we might see some impressive results from Massa in China?! ;)
Just remember to look both ways before crossing a road, I think is more the message ;)

jambo

I've worked through the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and now the 2009 F1 Season Review and I've gotta say, it seems like the cars were a hell of a lot less reliable back then.

It was pretty much a constant stream of engine, hydraulics and tyre failures.

Lach

I've worked through the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and now the 2009 F1 Season Review and I've gotta say, it seems like the cars were a hell of a lot less reliable back then.

Agree, i watched the whole of the 2005 german grand prix (raikönnen with dead tyres, blowing his suspension on the last lap while in the lead) and the 2007 canadien grand prix (hamiltons first win) last weekend.

A lot more unreliabilities and other stupid mistakes (2007 canada had tons of penalties because people apparently didn't know the safetycar/pitstop rules...)

kharma45

the move to more strict engine and gearbox limits has transformed reliability in the sport.

jambo

(2007 canada had tons of penalties because people apparently didn't know the safetycar/pitstop rules...)

I saw a bit of that too. People running the red lights at the end of the pit lane. Also the closed pit lane with safety car was a bit weird, lots of teams taking penalties so that they could re fuel to finish the race.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
BBC documentary - Driven: The Fastest Woman in the World
Not since 1976 has a woman raced in Formula 1; Susie Wolff is determined to change that. A documentary filmed by her brother charts highs and lows of her year racing and the life-changing moment when she is tested for the Williams F1 team. Featuring interviews with Lewis Hamilton, David Coulthard and Ralf Schumacher.
Trailer
Clip

Hammer24

Banned
LOT and FER are probably the only teams that haven´t complained about the new tyres too much - because they are the ones that get them to work.
LOT James Allison did some explaining:
- tyres aren´t really that different than last year
- every mixture is one step softer than last year
- the shape of the slicks got changed, they are more "angular" than last year and the tyre shoulder is harder, so teams have trouble to get the whole cap of the tyre on the ground
- you need perfect balance in the car, then its easy to find the "sweet spot"
- he expects China to be troublesome, as its colder, and the slow corners have a larger radius, so they expect graining
- rain is still a problem, as they have trouble to get the intermediates hot, and the rear wing is not really suitable to wet conditions - so their main focus right now is developing a new rear wing
Merc trying to repeat last years triumph
- ROS has lead in the last three China GP´s
- they are doing overtime in the simulator
- they are bringing new aerodynamics parts for the China GP, as they see lack of drive side (?) as their biggest weekness

Hackbert

RUSH - Official International Trailer
http://youtu.be/9igiKOCh5Wg

Hype.

oh. i heard one time about it. Did not know Daniel Brühl was in it. great actor. Nice catch for him, and there is some resemblance, more so without hair.

4 days to go until the next race weekend. cannot come soon enough

just found the pictures of them filming in...2011 !! for the movie.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/01/16/ron-howard-filming-rush-nurburgring-nordschleife/

Hackbert

was this posted? if so sorry for reposting. still think it is worth it :
http://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/143gv0/f1_documentaries_movies_and_season_reviews/

TECHNICAL
BBC Horizon (1981) - Gentlemen, lift your skirts. Williams F1 - Cosworth Tyrrell P34
Grand Prix - The Killer Years (BBC Documentary 2011) Password = killeryears
F1 1975 "A Special Breed"
Le Mans: The Deadliest Crash
Life Of A F1 Engine
Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections - Formula 1
Supercharged Grand Prix Cars 1924-1939
The Secret Life of F1
Turbo F1 Engines - How They Started[HD]
Turbo Made To Measure
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RACES
1973 F1 Nurburgring Nordschleife
1984 Monaco Grand Prix (Senna's 1st shot in F1)
The Great Race Phillip Island & Bathurst 1960-1966
Truth in 24 (Le Mans 2008 race - from Audi's perspective)[HD]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HISTORY
50 Years Ferrari In F1
50 Years Of Formula 1 On-Board
Champions Forever: The Quick And The Dead 1977
Grand Prix - The Golden Years
If you're not winning... you're not trying
1983 - Lotus F1 Goes The Turbo Way
Monaco - Race Of Kings
Racing Through Time - The History Of Grand Prix Racing
Red Bull Racing Story (2005-2012) [HD]
The History Of F1 Cars ('45-'64)
Hitler's Rennschlachten (German)
DRIVERS/PEOPLE
Alan Jones [HD]
Damon Hill
Eddie Jordan
Emerson Fittipaldi [HD]
Graham Hill - Driven
Jack Brabham [HD]
Jackie Stewart [HD]
Jackie Stewart - The Flying Scot
Jackie Stewart - The Golden Age Of Motor Racing
James Hunt
Jim Clark - The Quiet Champion
Jody Scheckter [HD]
John Surtees [HD]
Mario Andretti [HD]
Michael Schumacher - The Red Baron
Mika Hakkinen [HD]
Murray Walker [HD]
Nigel Mansell [HD]
Senna (2010)
Stirling Moss
When Playboys Ruled The World: James Hunt & Barry Sheene
SENNA
Senna's First Formula 1 Test (1983)
Ayrton Senna - BBC -1995
Ayrton Senna - The Right To Win
SEASON REVIEWS
1970s
1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979
1980s
1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989
1990s
1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999
2000s
2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Part 1 2009 Part 2
2010s
2010 Part 1 2010 Part 2
2011 Part 1 2011 Part 2
2012 - A Year To Remember [HD]
2012 - What A Year! [HD]
2013 Full Races
2013 Australian Grand Prix - Race
2013 Malaysian Grand Prix - Race NEW
SPECIALS
2012 Caterham Review [HD]
2012 Ferrari Review [HD]
2012 Force India Review [HD]
2012 HRT Review [HD]
2012 Lotus Review [HD]
2012 Marussia Review [HD]
2012 McLaren Review [HD]
2012 Mercedes-AMG Review [HD]
2012 Red Bull Review [HD]
2012 Sauber Review [HD]
2012 Toro Rosso Review [HD]
2012 Williams Review [HD]
MOVIES
Grand Prix (1966)

MrKaepora

RUSH - Official International Trailer
http://youtu.be/9igiKOCh5Wg

Hype.

I'm loving what I see.

In other news:

Felix da Costa third driver Red Bull in the China GP

António Félix da Costa prepares to give this weekend a step closer to Formula 1, as it will be third driver for Red Bull and Toro Rosso at the Chinese Grand Prix. The information was in the air for some time, but now there is certainty of outcome, and the reason is simple. Sébastien Buemi, current third driver for Red Bull, runs this weekend with the start of World Toyota in endurance, which takes place at Silverstone, so the young Portuguese driver assumes the functions of the franc, a situation that should be repeated in future, whenever necessary.

I have high hopes for this guy, let's see how this season in the World Series by Renault turns out.

Seanspeed

Banned
Gonna be a huge amount of pressure on Ricciardo and Vergne to show up one another.

Also, Rush looks better than I was expecting. :D

AcridMeat

Banned
They recreated that crash perfectly from the looks of it. I can't wait for it, but it's not until September. Tons of great movies coming out this year.

You just linked a picture of Montoya.

It was rumored that JPM f'ed up his shoulder motocrossing in the off-week after ...the Malaysian GP when ...Kimi was his teammate. He said it was a tennis accident. He missed two races.

Here in the States at least, no motorcycle clauses appear in just about every sporting contract. Presumably not in Kimi's, but nevertheless I'm sure the team isn't terribly psyched.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm a fan of the drivers being allowed to do activities outside of F1, but yea, motocross stuff is probably a bit too risky for a driver during the season. Injuries are so common.

McLaren believes it has identified the major areas in which it needs to improve ahead of this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix.

While the team acknowledges there is no 'magic bullet' which will suddenly restore it to the front of the Formula 1 grid, it believes it has now pinpointed what has gone wrong with its 2013 car.

As a consequence it will bring a raft of upgrades to China in a bid to start this year's campaign afresh at Shanghai.

The main updates are to the floor and suspension. Button will finish on the podium.

Top Bottom