• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

jambo

Started watching the 1991 F1 Season Review yesterday. The coverage isn't quite as good, especially pit stops and replays. Just not as many cameras and a lot more low tech because of the time.

Best bit is seeing Senna dominate and also recognising really young drivers and crew members. Eddie Jordan looks especially different.

iR6GGz4.jpg

Chris R

Under 2 days until F1 is back! Remember to make your picks for this week if you are in the prediction league (good to at least have something in case you forget before qualifying on Saturday).

Shaneus

Yes, they would order Webber to let Vettel pass.
But not if Mateschitz said there wasn't... so... no?

Anyway, think I found the/a source:
Mateschitz banning team orders
(translated)
First a word of power of the angry Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz brought a rethinking of Red Bull racing team, "Mr. Mateschitz was very pissed," motorsport chief Helmut Marko says to the sports image.

He should have given the impetus to the fact that in the future no stage directions to be eligible for team orders from the box of Red Bull. This gives both Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel free ride and will not back off of each other have, which could cause all sorts of new cases of dynamite.

No radio messages as in Malaysia

Background of events: Vettel attacked during the GP of Malaysia in the past leadership Webber, although a corresponding radio message from the box provided for a non-aggression tactics in the sense of team orders.

Vettel overtook Webber and pocketed the win - the Australian was more than angry, showed the triple champ from Germany even the finger.

The Faster may overtake

Accordingly, the judgment now of Marko - mainly inspired by Mateschitz, among others but also to Bernie Ecclestone, who spoke out clearly for more than courageous appearance of Vettel. "Team orders it will give us no more," says Marko clear.

Or from here:

Red Bull team has confirmed the Malaysian GP pass a stir in the aftermath of that, it's not going to give drivers more regulations in the future.

Sebastian Vettel overtook Sepang last pit stops after Mark Webber, who had been invited to calculate the engine power. Aussille was promised that he would finish the race winner, but the promise is not kept.

- We will not give any more stable rules, Red Bull motorsport consultant Helmut Marko told Sport Bild for.

Vettel disobedience did not drink from the founder of the Group's positive reception.

- Mr. [Dietrich] Mateschitz was really furious, Marko said.

And leading up to this weekend, some words from John Watson:
SEBASTIAN VETTEL was last night urged to apologise to Formula One for breaking his word and stealing victory in Malaysia.

The German sparked a storm of controversy by overtaking Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber after both drivers had been told to hold station.

The duo will renew their bitter partnership in China tomorrow with Vettel told to finally fully confess his dishonest action just over two weeks’ ago.

Ex-F1 ace turned top pundit John Watson said: “It is a great shame what Sebastian did in Sepang.

“The way he acted was dishonest. He should apologise to the fans of F1 and to the sport.

“He has not yet explained why he did not obey the team, apart from making some mealy-mouthed excuse at the time.

“Sebastian had come across as a well-adjusted young man who was also a three time World Champion.

“But we have had a glimpse of what he is truly capable of and a lot of people will not like the 2013 version.

“He needs to be grilled in China as to why he did what he did to Mark and the team.

“If you agree to a plan that after the last pit-stops then the drivers should hold station, then you should stick to that.

“He gave his word and then did what he wanted which is very poor really.

“And what he did beforehand when he just told the team to tell Mark to get out of the way because he was slower was even worse.

“He should really have paid a penalty for what he did, but there was a snowball’s chance in hell of that happening.”

Zeppu

It just occurred to me that in a few days we're gonna have EJ tormenting Vettel and Horner with awkward questions. Wooohoo.

That's almost as fun as the races themselves.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Here's another source

SpeedTV: F1: Red Bull Scraps Team Orders After Malaysia Affair

In the wake of the 'Multi-21' affair, Red Bull has abolished team orders.

"There will be no more team orders by us," the energy drink company's motor sport director Helmut Marko told Germany's Sport Bild on Wednesday.

Sebastian Vettel ignored the team's instruction to stay behind leader Mark Webber in Malaysia recently, sparking the controversy.

The saga left team owner Dietrich Mateschitz "very unhappy," Marko admitted.

Austrian Marko also echoed billionaire Mateschitz's recent claim that Kimi Raikkonen is a candidate to drive for the reigning champions next year.

"Kimi Raikkonen is someone who is on our list (of candidates) for next year," confirmed Marko.

Australian Webber's current contract runs out at the end of 2013.

The 36-year-old has been linked with a move to Porsche's 2014 Le Mans prototype project.

Zeknurn

Vettel and Räikkönen at Red Bull 2014 would be unbeatable as long as Renault doesn't get the engine completely wrong.

Or maybe they are looking into Räikkönen as a replacement for Vettel when he leaves for Ferrari?

Exciting stuff either way.

Props to Vettel for manning up:

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport/story/105055.html

"I apologised to the team straight after for putting myself above the team, which I didn't mean to do. But there is not much more to say, really. I don't apologise for winning, that is why people employed me in the first place and why I'm here. I love racing and that's what I did."

He's got exactly what Senna and Schumacher had. An insatiable will to win and dominate.

Too bad overly PC world these days is all about protecting feelings and getting along.

Adamm

Props to Vettel for manning up:

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport/story/105055.html

"I apologised to the team straight after for putting myself above the team, which I didn't mean to do. But there is not much more to say, really. I don't apologise for winning, that is why people employed me in the first place and why I'm here. I love racing and that's what I did."

He's got exactly what Senna and Schumacher had. An insatiable will to win and dominate.

Too bad overly PC world these days is all about protecting feelings and getting along.

Makes him sound like more of a prick.
"I'm sorry for pissing off my team & team mate, but i'd do it again"

Looks like he wont need to worry about doing it again... balls out racing between the two from this point on. If Webber really wants to make a name for himself with no excuses, now is the time.

Omiee

Looks like he wont need to worry about doing it again... balls out racing between the two from this point on. If Webber really wants to make a name for himself with no excuses, now is the time.

Really curious to see how things will be going from now on.

Also looks like the boss of RB really likes webber.

But yeah vettel obviously had more chances from the team than webber got :) such an unfair situation he is in.

How is that 'manning up'? He's still denying he intended to disobey the order; he knew exactly what he was doing. If you're going to be a selfish prick so publically, you should at the very least be honest about it.

Part of the reason I never respected Schumacher.

It's why I loved Schumacher. He played the PR game yet said fuck you to anyone who got in his way of success.

Clegg

Can you guys take Omiee back please?

He's just had a perfectly good poster banned in the football thread because he didn't understand our use of banter.

Regards,

Football GAF.

Shaneus

Really curious to see how things will be going from now on.

Also looks like the boss of RB really likes webber.

But yeah vettel obviously had more chances from the team than webber got :) such an unfair situation he is in.
It's been widely known for yonks that Mateschitz is batting for Webber and Marko for Vettel. I knew Mateschitz was high up, but I didn't realise he was basically the guy at the top of Red Bull (the drinks company). Must feel alright to have a multi-billionaire on your side!

Top Bottom