• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Force India only 23 points behind their last year's final result

And Kyatt once again in points. This guy has bright future, only his backers must bring him into better team.

olore

If that means the driver doesn't get the maximum advantage, well... "tough luck". That's the price of driving for a team who are your employer and I think in the long run it's still a net benefit because they tend to deliver better results.

I changed that slightly.

This is how I see it. It`s simple. If the team believes that a certain action is called for then you don`t veto that and do your own thing. If he doesn`t like that he can join Felipe at For Sure Racing or start his own Finger F1 team where he calls all the shots.

John_B

Hamilton clawed that DNF back in short time. I see more winnings going Hamilton's way in Canada, Great Britain and Hungary. It will be close though as they will keep taking home those 1-2's.

Hamilton should be a little up on engine. One less race and two races with lots of nurturing.

I feel quite vindicated now after all the bollocks about Rosberg being more consistent is being proved wrong.

Also, I think it's becoming clearer and clearer that rather than a group of top 3 or 4 drivers, there 2 drivers who are quite clearly better than the rest, Hamilton and Alonso. Likes of Rosberg, Vettel and Raikkonen are a step lower.

malyce

"Kvyat is the new Ricciardo, who is the new Vettel, who is the new Webber."

Fuck RBR for keeping Ricky out those extra few laps after they pitted Vettel, he lost some 4+ seconds which would have probably put him on the podium.

And the boy Ham is silencing the haters on the track. Cerebral advantage my ass.

Sebastian "Exhaust Blown Diffuser" Vettel. They should have just given Newey those 4 WDC titles.

hamchan

I love seeing teammates go against team orders and actually fighting for position. Thing is, Vettel went against team orders and ended up rolling over and conceding to Ricciardo a couple of laps later, so ultimately he just damaged the team while achieving nothing for himself.

Dilly

Banned
Hamilton and Alonso are in a league of their own and the only 2 who should have more than 2 WC's on this grid.

Very impressed with Danny Disco and Kvyat though.

avaya

Lewis crushed Britney when they were younger.

It's only luck that will cost Lewis this WDC.

Project4 the worst Mercedes team, always pleasing to see.

olore

Found this interesting tidbit from BBCs F1 live stream:

"So it is a career first for Lewis Hamilton after winning three Formula 1 races in succession for the first time. When he has completed a hat-trick of race wins in previous racing categories he has gone on to win the title.

Nobody has won the title without winning any of the first four races, since Alain Prost in 1989."

Ehh, I think Hamilton for this year's WDC is a foregone conclusion. I reckon he's going to take Vettel's win streak whilst he's at it too.

Also, I think it's becoming clearer and clearer that rather than a group of top 3 or 4 drivers, there 2 drivers who are quite clearly better than the rest, Hamilton and Alonso. Likes of Rosberg, Vettel and Raikkonen are a step lower.

Agreed. Hamilton probably the fastest driver on the grid, and Alonso is just a force of nature.

Cigol

It looks that way but Mercedes/brawn have dropped off development wise mid season in the past so let's see how things progress. That last race with double points will make things (in the favourite words of sky sports commentators) 'tasty' as well.

TCRS

Banned
Rosberg saying that his clutch setting was wrong and since there was no telemetry the team couldn't help him with that. in fact they couldn't help him with anything, he had to do everything by himself during the race, all the settings, giving through the data to his team etc. all of that while fighting for positions and making his way through the field. considering that p2 isn't all that bad.

It looks that way but Mercedes/brawn have dropped off development wise mid season in the past so let's see how things progress. That last race with double points will make things (in the favourite words of sky sports commentators) 'tasty' as well.

wait, I thought thery discarded the double points idea.

hamchan

I feel quite vindicated now after all the bollocks about Rosberg being more consistent is being proved wrong.

Yep, gonna be like Senna-Prost again. Mercedes gonna win every race this season.

avaya

Mercedes are probably fucked longer term, 2015 wise, since the stupid decision to bring in that shithound Toto. They've lost Ross and now Bell. Current situation is a legacy from the original set-up from Ross.

Dilly

Banned

Brawn was a team without backing with a Mercedes engine bolted on it in the last minute, this is a Manufacturer team.

glol:

The Chinese Grand Prix was accidentally shortened by two laps because race winner Lewis Hamilton was shown the chequered flag early.

Hamilton said on the radio he had been shown the chequered flag before beginning his final lap.

The classified results published by the FIA noted that the race was “declared at the end of lap 54, in accordance with Article 43.2 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations”.

The rule states: “Should for any reason the end-of-race signal be given before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps, or the prescribed time has been completed, the race will be deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the line before the signal was given.”

Caramello

Where can I watch the WEC race? Australian here.

Edit: Nevermind, seems it's behind a paywall this year, still I think I'll pony up to watch Webber.

I hope someday I can see Alonso with a car like the Red Bull from 2013 or the Merc from this year, such an awesome driver.

Fantastic job by Hamilton an Daniel among many. Good race.

Found this interesting tidbit from BBCs F1 live stream:

"So it is a career first for Lewis Hamilton after winning three Formula 1 races in succession for the first time. When he has completed a hat-trick of race wins in previous racing categories he has gone on to win the title.

Nobody has won the title without winning any of the first four races, since Alain Prost in 1989."

JQB7k.gif

That was Brawn and solely because they were strapped for cash and that scrooge Richard Branson didn't want to expand his Virgin sponsorship.

There is no shortage of money this time round.

I hope someday I can see Alonso with a car like the Red Bull from 2013 or the Merc from this year, such an awesome driver.

Fantastic job by Hamilton an Daniel among many. Good race.

Huh? He already did. Look up 2005, 2006 and arguably 2007.

TCRS

Banned
what is going on with raikkonen man. very disappointing so far. and sutil has had three DNFs now, poor guy. Chilton on the other hand has finished all four races so far.

T

Huh? He already did. Look up 2005, 2006 and arguably 2007.

I mean now, he had great cars in the past but never as dominant as the ones I mentioned. Also, the 2006 Renault started very well but by mid season Ferrari was better. He never had a dominant car in my opinion.

keit4

Banned
I love how Dani is exposing Vettel as the second tier driver he is. On the other hand, Alonso keeps showing how good he is.

Mastah

He obviously had a good car those seasons, the best car in many races, but no way he had a car as dominant as the 2013 RBR or the current Mercedes. Look it up.

Exactly.

2005 - McLaren without reliability problems would win 14 (!!!) races in a row
2006 - Renault was the best car in first 9 races, just, and Alonso was simply phenomenal in all of them, in the other 9 races Ferrari was much quicker than anyone else, but Alonso made the difference, while Schumacher made too many mistakes
2007 - Is there still any doubt Alonso and Hamilton dragged that McLaren into the fight with superior Ferrari? Just look what Alonso has done to Massa (who in other team is pretty much equal to highly rated Bottas) and what he's doing with Kimi

It's a crying shame Alonso has to deal with such a crap cars compared to his enormous talent in all 7 seasons after 2007, bar one, in 2010. The only small salvation is that now with Kimi as a team mate, his achievements since joining Ferrari will be more recognized and accepted. 2012 was simply magical in that PoS Ferrari-branded dog.

He obviously had a good car those seasons, the best car in many races, but no way he had a car as dominant as the 2013 RBR or the current Mercedes. Look it up.

I mean now, he had great cars in the past but never as dominant as the ones I mentioned. Also, the 2006 Renault started very well but by mid season Ferrari was better. He never had a dominant car in my opinion.

In 2005 and 2006, it was a two-horse race, with 2 lapdogs and 2 maestros so Alonso was pretty much guaranteed of a podium every race, and Renault, in both those years, was the most reliable and consistent car by far.

The most important thing is that back then, you had 2 teams fighting for the wins and the rest way way behind; right now, you have 2 teams threatening to level things up by the next GP; Ferrari and Red Bull. Also, teams on the bubble like Williams, McLaren who could easily sneak onto the podium should things go awry for the leaders.

TCRS

Banned
Kimi Raikkonen blames driving style for Shanghai struggle after finishing eighth

(...)

"In the race [he was] just was slow. It was the grip overall, front and rear end, not really any major things I could say 'this is it'. In the last stint when it was new tyres it felt pretty okay for a few laps but then it got difficult again.

"I don't know if it's the temperature of the tyres that I cannot get working because obviously with the new tyres it seems to be okay and then once they get older it seems to be very difficult. So a lot of things to see and fix and hopefully find some cure because obviously it was pretty difficult overall the whole weekend."

The 2007 World Champion went on to offer up one possible explanation for his lack of pace, however - his famously smooth driving style. The Finn admitted the cool Shanghai conditions had hindered him generating sufficient heat into his tyres. He also conceded it was a driving trait he was largely stuck with.

"It's probably more to do with my driving style plus the weather," he said after a weekend in which track temperatures rarely rose above 25 degrees.

"I don't think I work the tyres very hard. So obviously when it's cool conditions and wet conditions it's been many years that it's been hard to get the tyres working. Today it just feels that when you have a new tyre it works well until the grip from the new tyres goes away and obviously you have to go slower and then you start cooling down the tyres more. Everything goes round and round and you cannot fix that. I reckon it's more to do with that.

(...)

full article: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/2...-for-shanghai-struggle-after-finishing-eighth

With Lotus he had to drive like that to stay out longer and get all those podiums that he did the last two seasons. With Ferrari this isn't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom