• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

I only started following F1 a few years ago but from you lot who have been watching for longer, how many of Schumi's seven titles do you think are undeserved because he had a vastly superior car?

There is no such thing as an undeserved title. Regardless of how little competition and how good the Ferrari team was back then, there is no doubt of Schumacher's talent and skill.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Adrian Sutil will have 114th start in his career in Barcelona and he is still waiting for his first win. Nico Rosberg waited for 111 races.

TCRS

Banned
I only started following F1 a few years ago but from you lot who have been watching for longer, how many of Schumi's seven titles do you think are undeserved because he had a vastly superior car?

Well I wouldn't call it undeserved, but even as a Schumi fan 2002 was a bit boring. He was so dominant that he won the championship in the 11th of 17 races that season. And Ferrari won 15 of the 17 races (Schumi 11 and Barrichello 4).

Addnan

It was nice to see Lotus seem to be getting there shit together in terms of speed. Reliability is still shit though, would have been great to see Grosjean score couple of points.

Juicy Bob

Overtaking figures time!

This year, there were 24 on-track overtakes during the race, minus the one Kobayashi did on Bianchi on the final lap which didn't count because some idiot waved the chequered flag one lap too early. To compare with previous years:

2010: 62
2011: 63
2012: 72
2013: 60
2014: 24

That's a lot less overtakes than in previous years as you can see.

By my calculations, we've had 124 on-track overtaking moves after four races so far this season. That's 79 less moves than after four races last year.

Draconian

Overtaking figures time!

This year, there were 24 on-track overtakes during the race, minus the one Kobayashi did on Bianchi on the final lap which didn't count because some idiot waved the chequered flag one lap too early. To compare with previous years:

2010: 62
2011: 63
2012: 72
2013: 60
2014: 24

That's a lot less overtakes than in previous years as you can see.

By my calculations, we've had 124 on-track overtaking moves after four races so far this season. That's 79 less moves than after four races last year.

It was going to be hard to follow up Bahrain, but this is incredible. I thought there was very little overtaking, but good grief, that's a low figure. I'm a little bitter because I sat up and watched the whole thing and it ended around 4 AM here.

It's a "in the moment" hate type of thing.

A few years after Vettel retires, it'll be all about romanticizing his dominant years.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There are rumblings in F1 caravan that Mercedes part of advantage is also due to very high quality fuel that they are using.

Four wins and 109 points apiece is not handing his arse to him. Yes Hamilton was a rookie and as double defending champion you would expect Alonso to have got the better of him but Hamilton was and is a supreme talent. I would personally put them on the top podium as the two best drivers by a LONG way, with perhaps LH having a slight edge. They should never be in the same team again but would love to see them both in competitive cars and fight it out.

One thing is for sure, the fact they have three titles between them while Vettel has four is a travesty.

Agreed 100%. During his time with Hamilton I really disliked Alonso for being a bit of a whiny bitch and the racist Spanish fans (I know it's not his fault), but I've come to respect his skill regardless.

Both he and Hamilton have shown some serious skill, I think we all said "Wow! I can't believe he did that!" more than once after Hamilton or Alonso pulled off some amazing feat on the track. I can't say I've felt that way about Vettel too many times.

This is his chance to show the world it wasn't just Newey's car that won the 4 titles, he doesn't have to win, just beat our now not so high expectations.

avaya

Four wins and 109 points apiece is not handing his arse to him. Yes Hamilton was a rookie and as double defending champion you would expect Alonso to have got the better of him but Hamilton was and is a supreme talent. I would personally put them on the top podium as the two best drivers by a LONG way, with perhaps LH having a slight edge. They should never be in the same team again but would love to see them both in competitive cars and fight it out.

One thing is for sure, the fact they have three titles between them while Vettel has four is a travesty.

Lewis had a meltdown in the last few races and a as a rookie that's acceptable, prior to that he was a fair way a head. Alonso clearly couldn't handle someone being faster than him. More often than not, in a clean scrap Lewis had his number and the Spanish princess totally lost his shit.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Please no fuelgate.

There won't be any, but teams can see that high quality fuel and lubricants can bring more performance. Mercedes uses Petronas fuel and lubricants and only Force India uses the same stuff, other Mercedes powered teams uses their own solutions. Shell brought some new stuff for Ferrari and they seem happy with it.

dalin80

Banned
Lewis had a meltdown in the last few races and a as a rookie that's acceptable, prior to that he was a fair way a head. Alonso clearly couldn't handle someone being faster than him. More often than not, in a clean scrap Lewis had his number and the Spanish princess totally lost his shit.

To be fair one of the big losses at the end of that year was when his tyres fell apart and mclaren told him to stay out even when they were down to the fibres on the rear. When he did come in against mclarens wishes the rear tyres were mostly canvas and aqua planed on the deep water on the pit entrance. Bit of a 50/50 one that Lewis usually gets all the blame for.

He would have walked away with the 2012 WDC as well if it wasn't for mechanical DNF's while in the lead. Correct the numbers that year for DNF's and he would have finished something like 65 points ahead.

There won't be any, but teams can see that high quality fuel and lubricants can bring more performance. Mercedes uses Petronas fuel and lubricants and only Force India uses the same stuff, other Mercedes powered teams uses their own solutions. Shell brought some new stuff for Ferrari and they seem happy with it.

Renault use unique stuff as well, current suspicions is that an additive in that fuel is attacking the seals in the fuel sensor which is causing the high failure rate in renault powered cars.

In 94, lots of people felt he was driving a car with illegal advantages.
Nonetheless, there were multiple demonstrations of his superlative driving talent, especially in his last year at Benetton and his first years with Ferrari, driving a dog of a car that was no match for the superior Williams' or Mclarens. Nurburgring 95. Spa 95. Barcelona 96. Monza 98.

malyce

To be fair one of the big losses at the end of that year was when his tyres fell apart and mclaren told him to stay out even when they were down to the fibres on the rear. When he did come in against mclarens wishes the rear tyres were mostly canvas and aqua planed on the deep water on the pit entrance. Bit of a 50/50 one that Lewis usually gets all the blame for.

He would have walked away with the 2012 WDC as well if it wasn't for mechanical DNF's while in the lead. Correct the numbers that year for DNF's and he would have finished something like 65 points ahead.

Renault use unique stuff as well, current suspicions is that an additive in that fuel is attacking the seals in the fuel sensor which is causing the high failure rate in renault powered cars.
Don't forget the constant pit stop fuck ups that season, and how they fucked him of a pole in Spain. Losing 2 WDCs because of your team(well, 2007 is 50/50) while watching a lesser driver walk away with 4 has to be infuriating for Ham and Alo.

Would love to see the math for this claim, even if he would have won all unfinished races it wouldn't be a 65p lead.

Ryne

Don't forget the constant pit stop fuck ups that season, and how they fucked him of a pole in Spain. Losing 2 WDCs because of your team(well, 2007 is 50/50) while watching a lesser driver walk away with 4 has to be infuriating for Ham and Alo.

McLaren really fucked up that year, lost the WDC for Hamilton. I felt bad for him, and that's rare.

Always pissed me off a little when Button said stuff like "we were even on points" or something when Hamilton left the team. That 2012 shit season screwed it all up.

malyce

McLaren really fucked up that year, lost the WDC for Hamilton. I felt bad for him, and that's rare.

Always pissed me off a little when Button said stuff like "we were even on points" or something when Hamilton left the team. That 2012 shit season screwed it all up.

I look at 2012 as both a blessing/cruse for Lewis. If he had won in 2012, he'd probably still be at McLaren right now looking for an out and the Mercedes deal would have probably been off the table this year, since Nico and/or Hulk would have been running away with the title. Now he's in a competent team with a car that's competitive(lol) and he's poised to snatch up at least 2 WDCs with Merc. He finally has to right tools at his disposal, now we get to watch him put in work.

Pimpwerx

How about Whitmarsh bringing in a driver with a contrasting style to Lewis, and then continuously compromising the car to accommodate Button? That team had its priorities wrong under Martin. PEACE.

Finally getting around to watch the GP Highlights on BBC. Some parts are really fun to watch, like the start, Alonso getting away from Vettel, Nico fighting Vettel, Daniel passing Vettel. Ferrari having some serious speed was also unexpected to see, but they're still nowhere near the Mercedes and I don't expect them to make the gap any smaller by Spain.

Also, all the onboard footage looks really old, thanks to all the marbles flying around, making it look like film grain.

Shaneus

RJJi5xj.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Took Webber more than that to get his first win, didn't it?

Yep, it took 130 races for Webber to win

Finally getting around to watch the GP Highlights on BBC. Some parts are really fun to watch, like the start, Alonso getting away from Vettel, Nico fighting Vettel, Daniel passing Vettel. Ferrari having some serious speed was also unexpected to see, but they're still nowhere near the Mercedes and I don't expect them to make the gap any smaller by Spain.

Also, all the onboard footage looks really old, thanks to all the marbles flying around, making it look like film grain.
Gearing or better said, S3 saved Ferrari's ass on this one. RBR hunted them down in first two sectors, but they had been too slow on the straights (they were hitting 8th gear at DRS activation line, meanwhile Mercedes shifted there into 7th).
As for marbles - you could even hear them hitting car and driver on onboard footage.

Ryne

Speaking about Pirellis, I thought they were supposed to be harder this year. I guess my primitive mind thought that would mean that the tyres would behave more like the bridgestones of a few years back; however we are still hearing the same complaints of graining/marbles.

Am I wrong in thinking they are not cut out for it? I know they were built to spec from the FIA.

Hammer24

Banned
Couple small things, sorry if discussed already:
- Newey not in China, working overtime in the factory for the Europe debut
- RBR expecting new fuel for next race
- MAS incident: team mixed up the rear tyres (left on the right and vice versa), and with the nut integrated into the rim, they damaged the nut when they tried to put them on
- Lauda new father figure for HAM. Lauda held a stern lecture to HAM a couple weeks ago. Told him he has to leave his dogs at home, they wouldn´t be welcome in the paddocks. And while he´s at it, to leave 90% of his entourage as well. Told him to focus on nothing but racing. Seems, no one in a long time dared talk to HAM like that, and he took it very well, as he trusts Lauda and looks up to him. Sinve then, especially with the success now, they are really close.

A very long and very good piece on Bernie here. Must read!
If your translation program comes up unclear, just ask away! :)

- MAS incident: team mixed up the rear tyres (left on the right and vice versa), and with the nut integrated into the rim, they damaged the nut when they tried to put them on
- Lauda new father figure for HAM. Lauda held a stern lecture to HAM a couple weeks ago. Told him he has to leave his dogs at home, they wouldn´t be welcome in the paddocks. And while he´s at it, to leave 90% of his entourage as well. Told him to focus on nothing but racing. Seems, no one in a long time dared talk to HAM like that, and he took it very well, as he trusts Lauda and looks up to him. Sinve then, especially with the success now, they are really close.

A very long and very good piece on Bernie here. Must read!
If your translation program comes up unclear, just ask away! :)

Thanks for the heads up. Too bad I can't take Lauda seriously - he was a gifted racer and could have been a motorsport legend but it seems he needs money so bad he takes on every advertising job he can get. Lost a lot of credibility in my eyes...

Hammer24

Banned
Thanks for the heads up. Too bad I can't take Lauda seriously - he was a gifted racer and could have been a motorsport legend but it seems he needs money so bad he takes on every advertising job he can get. Lost a lot of credibility in my eyes...

Uhmm, I´d say Lauda is a legend. And when it comes to his money needs, lets quote Richard Branson: "How to become a millionaire? Start as a billionaire and buy yourself an airline". ;)

Juicy Bob

While that's likely true about Newey, he was also at Silverstone on Sunday to watch Webbah's WEC debut, according to the Radio Le Mans commentators we had at the track PA.

I can imagine that about Lauda. I think that being allowed to express more of his personality at Mercedes has been a very good thing for Lewis, but Lauda is smart to try and keep it in check and the focus on the title. Mercedes really have a healthy dynamic going on at that team.

Uhmm, I´d say Lauda is a legend. And when it comes to his money needs, lets quote Richard Branson: "How to become a millionaire? Start as a billionaire and buy yourself an airline". ;)

Well it might be different in the rest of the world but in Austria he is portrayed as a stingy Scrooge McDuck (through his ad campaigns mostly) still living in the past at least I hope that is the reason for his homophobic behavior. And that is why I refuse to grant "current" Nikki Lauda legendary status.

Hammer24

Banned
Well, its certainly up for debate, how much of his "legendary status" is due to his driving skills, and how much due to his accident and the drama around it.
As for the "modern" Lauda, he´s certainly made some very questionable business decisions in his life, and I do not want to be the judge of his character. But what he did to and for the Merc team is a commendable job.

Well, its certainly up for debate, how much of his "legendary status" is due to his driving skills, and how much due to his accident and the drama around it.
As for the "modern" Lauda, he´s certainly made some very questionable business decisions in his life, and I do not want to be the judge of his character. But what he did to and for the Merc team is a commendable job.

Yes of course he is as important as ever and I don't doubt that he has the skills and knowledge to help out any Formula 1 team at any time but he is not somebody I look up to anymore.

Zeknurn

This is long overdue. Thanks to this Hamilton might just have a shot at the title this year.

Hasney

This is long overdue. Thanks to this Hamilton might just have a shot at the title this year.

Just makes me wonder what would have happened with Hamilton at McLaren had Ron Dennis been on the paddock still after 2009. Whitmarsh never seemed strong enough to stand up to a fly, let alone 2 former world champions.

Igo

Assuming this is true, why would you reveal it publicly? Not that it's bad advice, but the way this came out just seems like Lauda is trying to take some credit for Lewis' success.

Also, a couple weeks ago Lewis was toying with Rosberg on the track, and winning his second race of the season.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
All teams will bring new stuff to Barcelona. Some, like Mercedes and Force India, had some parts already prepared for China, but majority of new stuff will be debuted in Barcelona. The main thing is that teams do not know how will new parts perform, so we can expect quite a lot of running on FPs. And maybe first 'there is something wrong with our windtunnel' excuses :p

Hasney

All teams will bring new stuff to Barcelona. Some, like Mercedes and Force India, had some parts already prepared for China, but majority of new stuff will be debuted in Barcelona. The main thing is that teams do not know how will new parts perform, so we can expect quite a lot of running on FPs. And maybe first 'there is something wrong with our windtunnel' excuses :p

I would laugh if someone at Ferrari gets asked if the windtunnel is working if they have a bad weekend and whoever is interviewed just turns around and says "What? Our windtunnel has always been fine".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom