• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackbert

totally out of context, just a little laugh :
tumblr_n42xw1vZ9a1rxobalo2_r1_400.gif

Hackbert

Finally i am able to change to another chassis on F1Manager. Force India it is. goodbye Marussia.

why again is that tweet a dig @ Hamilton? Cause he should let his dog at home?

I only started following F1 a few years ago but from you lot who have been watching for longer, how many of Schumi's seven titles do you think are undeserved because he had a vastly superior car?

Back in those days engines and testing were unlimited so Ferrari would spend days going around their track (Fiorano) improving the car.

So in a way they had an unfair advantage and spent their way to success.
Of course there's merit in the titles Schumi and Ferrari got, but people tend to forget these things.

Razgreez

I only started following F1 a few years ago but from you lot who have been watching for longer, how many of Schumi's seven titles do you think are undeserved because he had a vastly superior car?

Back in those days engines and testing were unlimited so Ferrari would spend days going around their track (Fiorano) improving the car.

So in a way they had an unfair advantage and spent their way to success.
Of course there's merit in the titles Schumi and Ferrari got, but people tend to forget these things.

There really is no such thing as an "undeserved F1 title". The lines between bending, breaking and adhering to the rules are so very thin. These are individuals and teams who have spent not hours nor days, nor years but their entire lifetimes trying to achieve victory.

Hasney

Saw this on Reddit and thought it was pretty cool. Vettels laptop hooked up to the car.

F7CRmQg.jpg

Damn that Windows 95 interface though.

From Ferrari:

President Montezemolo is involved at first hand in the daily work and is always in close touch with the team. He has asked for an immediate overhaul and streamlining of internal processes, eliminating intermediate stages and bureaucracy in order to be more flexible and efficient when it comes to the decision making process. At the same time, in order to simplify the organisation, there have been cut backs in the number of consultants and admissions aimed at strengthening some key areas to find more performance from the F14 T. Apart from this, suppliers have been asked to provide greater support by reducing the turnaround on parts following requests from Maranello, thus reducing the waiting time for every single component, both in the case of prototypes and of proven elements.

The aim of all these changes is for Ferrari to be able to react more quickly, ready to gather and make the most of information both drivers provide during race simulations, but above all, whenever they take to the track.

I'm surprised that it took this long and comes over as more hot air and damage control. Having LdM involved in the daily business doesn't necessarily seem like a good thing either.

kmag

Saw this on Reddit and thought it was pretty cool. Vettels laptop hooked up to the car.

F7CRmQg.jpg

Damn that Windows 95 interface though.

That's Windows 2008. You can tell by the faded Windows flag on the Start button. Windows 2003's flag is a bit bigger and darker in the middle.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari rumored to work on similar nose and FW solution as Mercedes... we will see how long it will took them to get it right. But I think there is slight catch, because FW and new nose have been part of this Mercedes car from the beginning...

That's Windows 2008. You can tell by the faded Windows flag on the Start button. Windows 2003's flag is a bit bigger and darker in the middle.

I think he probably means how dated the layout of the actual telemetry system is.

Doesn't surprise me though, you tend to add to those things over the years and never really bother revisiting the interfaces.

Ark

Ferrari rumored to work on similar nose and FW solution as Mercedes... we will see how long it will took them to get it right. But I think there is slight catch, because FW and new nose have been part of this Mercedes car from the beginning...

It's not like Ferrari have a spectacular base chassis to worry about ruining, if anything it'll be one of many significant upgrade packages they need.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Daily Fail reporting that Whitmarsh could get around 10 mil $ of severance package, currently in negotiations with Ron

It's not like Ferrari have a spectacular base chassis to worry about ruining, if anything it'll be one of many significant upgrade packages they need.

But the main question still lingers - will they work?

Ark

We haven't heard the wind tunnel line in quite some time, if anything I seem to remember Ferrari saying the wind tunnel was correlating with the track quite nicely, so I'd imagine it'll work fine (as long as nothing else goes wrong instead :p).

Or maybe that's just blind hope.

We haven't heard the wind tunnel line in quite some time, if anything I seem to remember Ferrari saying the wind tunnel was correlating with the track quite nicely, so I'd imagine it'll work fine (as long as nothing else goes wrong instead :p).

Or maybe that's just blind hope.

How crazy would it be if Ferrari could keep up with the upgrade race throughout the season and actually deliver working upgrades and close the gap to the competition. Just for once.

I figured this is a good place to ask, has anyone been to Circuit of the Americas?

I'm looking at grandstand tickets and I can't decide between Turn 1 or Turn 15

End of an era?

"According to a report in the Times, the firm which owns F1 - CVC Capital Partners - has been advised that the sport simply cannot continue with Ecclestone at the helm.

The report adds that CVC's hand was forced when Ecclestone was described as "untruthful and unreliable" by a London judge in January.

"It's over," the Times quotes a source with links to the CVC board as saying.

"In truth, it has been over for a while, but Bernie has been allowed to continue as the face of the sport until this legal advice, which was devastating."

The Times added: "He would be missed by some but is by no means indispensable. No other professional sport expects to get away with the opaque business style that has become the norm under Mr Ecclestone. The time has come for F1 to clean its house." "

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9280564/Ecclesone-era-drawing-to-a-close-

Hammer24

Banned
Bernie trial beginning today, he gave a couple interviews to German media.
His defense will be, to put a shadow of doubt over Gribkowsky. While the prosecutors name 39 witnesses, only the G. testimonial is substantial, the others are more like support.
He will argue that he didn´t bribe G., but got blackmailed by him to give him the money.

DBT85

I bet he gets away with it and continues making silly things up like double points.

For 2016 they are adding compound interest on points. 2.5% base rate, 0.5% extra for a race win.

Hammer24

Banned
I bet he gets away with it and continues making silly things up like double points.

From the department of Silly Bernie Ideas (TM):
He asked former pilots if they´d like to race in V8´s as support races on F1 weekends.
Brundle thinks, they would have to drive for free, basically full of thankfulness for Bernie that he let them drive in F1 back in the days.
The idea behind this support race is of course, to make sure everyone will say the old engines sounded better.

Hammer24

Banned
Even if he is gone as "the face of F1" I assume he will still be taking most of F1's profits from his completely crooked media rights deal?

Most of these go into a trust fund (tax reasons), now owned by his ex-wife, who has to pay him 100mio$ a year over ten years for them. She already paid five of this ten installments.

NHale

At launch Pat Fry mentioned the front wing could be very different at the start of the season, so it's possible they had this planned all along but as usual it got delayed.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
At launch Pat Fry mentioned the front wing could be very different at the start of the season, so it's possible they had this planned all along but as usual it got delayed.

True. But we will see how will all new parts come together in Barcelona. Maybe they will have similar issues like Force India :D

I think that RBR and Ferrari will bring the most of new pieces, but Mercedes is strangely quiet on this front... but they do not need to boast around the press how many new stuff will they bring in Barcelona, because other teams will need fully functional b-spec car to even catch them on race pace..

Hammer24

Banned
Isn't there a nose height criteria or something that has to be met? aka Why no penis?

Its not that simple, the regs define several criteria, which all are met.
You have to remind yourself, that everything in the regs that dictates this is in reference to two things: the reference plane of the car, and the front wheel base (center line).
As the nose is shorter, several values come into play differently. The hardest probably was:
15.4.3 An impact absorbing structure must be fitted in front of the survival cell. This structure need not be an integral part of the survival cell but must be solidly attached to it.
No part of this structure may lie more than 525mm above the reference plane.
It must have a single external cross section, in horizontal projection, of more than 9000mm² at a point 50mm behind its forward-most point. Furthermore :
a) No part of this cross-section may lie more than 250mm or less than 135mm above the reference plane.
b) The centre of area of this section must be no more than 185mm above the reference plane and no less than 750mm forward of the front wheel centre line.

Happy reading! :)

Edit: Regarding the nose, start reading from 3.7

Again, could someone explain to me how the new Merc nose is legal? I just can't see it.

As far as I can tell, the part I've circled is the first part of the crash structure.

HPu23w0.jpg

For it to work the uprights must be immensely strong and I imagine that is what was proving the difficulty in passing the crash test. It will be interesting to see if they have an accident at some point with the new wing, just to see how it breaks.

DBT85

As far as I can tell, the part I've circled is the first part of the crash structure.

HPu23w0.jpg

For it to work the uprights must be immensely strong and I imagine that is what was proving the difficulty in passing the crash test. It will be interesting to see if they have an accident at some point with the new wing, just to see how it breaks.

I dont think that part is part of the crash structure.

The regs posted above say that the cross section 50mm back from its farthest point must be between 135mm and 250mm above the reference plane. That part of the wing is not 135mm above the reference plane to my knowledge.

The nose is actually an inverted U which allows it to pass the tests and the regs.

Scottify

Strategy Group coming with the awesome ideas again.

Autosport

As well as potential aerodynamic tweaks to create vapour trails, other more wide-sweeping changes to the sport are also up for discussion.

They include standing starts after safety cars, a potential reduction in race length, and the green light for higher technology to be used in pitstops to cut the time even further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom