• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

IISANDERII

On Netflix Canada there's a great little documentary called 1976: Hunt vs Lauda. It's very good and a lot of the old footage is sort of remastered because it's better than SD but not quite HD.

Hammer24

Banned
On Netflix Canada there's a great little documentary called 1976: Hunt vs Lauda. It's very good and a lot of the old footage is sort of remastered because it's better than SD but not quite HD.

Watch the movie Rush, its pretty well made, and has some original footage as well! :)

Hammer24

Banned
I liked Hemsworth aswell - I just don't know enough about James Hunt to actually make a fair comparison.

F1+LEGEND+GAMES+HUNT.jpg

Its said, he bedded 5000 women. take that, GAF! ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"Front wing simplification"

Time for HRT to shine!

I'd be fine with them cutting wings back massively. put the emphasis less on downforce and aero, allowing cheaper development, closer racing without degradation of following cars, and then dump the DRS rules as they won't be as necessary

MrKaepora

Spanish GP F1: Drivers' responsibility to obey orders - Ricciardo

Daniel Ricciardo thinks it is a drivers' 'responsibility' to obey team orders and has said he would always do do unless it was 'completely out-of-order'.

“We throw up different scenarios and discuss it, discuss it between drivers and between principals and engineers,” Ricciardo told The Western Australian newspaper on the eve of the event at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya, when quizzed on the subject of team orders.

“It is our responsibility to obey it, unless it's completely out of order and then we can obviously try and put up a fight and give our reasons.

“But the team are doing all the calculations on pit wall during the race and you have to respect what they're saying. It's not always nice if you are being told to move over. It's not nice being that slower car, it's frustrating.”

Ricciardo added though, that he really wants to go wheel-to-wheel with Vettel and fight: “We want to race hard. I want to race the best version of Seb and he wants to race the best version of me. At the end of the day I think we'll both respect whoever's done a better job,” he added.

Shots fired.

gunther

Watch the movie Rush, its pretty well made, and has some original footage as well! :)

I saw the movie one week agom pretty good. I liked that the story is pretty much how thing happened en real life. I wish we have another seasons like that. First half of the movie its a little boring and after that its becomes awesome.

Nicktendo86

So apparently McLaren are going to try a lotus style nose in Spain. Prediction: it won't work and will be a complete waste of time.

Draconian

It doesn't sound like they've run out of ideas. Lotus's hardship so far this season isn't because of their nose.

I find it hard to believe the nose has been a great success that other teams would want to use. Not to mention that they've scrapped their own nose after 4 races. Why should we believe this is going to be some vast improvement when they couldn't get their own nose right? It's more nonsensical "upgrades" from McLaren which are likely going to be just as effective as they've been for the last year.

cmr-94

I find it hard to believe the nose has been a great success that other teams would want to use. Not to mention that they've scrapped their own nose after 4 races. Why should we believe this is going to be some vast improvement when they couldn't get their own nose right? It's more nonsensical "upgrades" from McLaren which are likely going to be just as effective as they've been for the last year.

Well they hardly got their old nose wrong. The lotus nose might just suit their car and the direction they are taking with development.

I would just be cautious when judging an upgrade before we've seen it on track. Despite their recent form, this is Mclaren we are talking about here. They have so much expertise and information that we can't possibly wish to make reasoned predictions when the truth of it is, we know relatively nothing.

DBT85

Both the Lotus nose and the Mercedes nose allow some cleaner airflow to get under the car because they don't have the penis dangling down in the way. The lotus nose is probably much easier to manufacture than the Merc nose as we know it took them multiple attempts to get it right.

Nicktendo86

Both the Lotus nose and the Mercedes nose allow some cleaner airflow to get under the car because they don't have the penis dangling down in the way. The lotus nose is probably much easier to manufacture than the Merc nose as we know it took them multiple attempts to get it right.
I might be wrong but I kinda feel like the merc and lotus noses are actually sort of similar in concept, in that they are two separate pylons with a gap in between to allow airflow. Difference being the lotus one is two huge tusks and the merc is a much more elegant solution.

The thing that worries me is that McLaren nare hiring from lotus and sauber, midfield teams which reinforces to me that McLaren are turning into a midfield team. I dunno maybe I am just being negative.

Mastah

So apparently McLaren are going to try a lotus style nose in Spain. Prediction: it won't work and will be a complete waste of time.

Apparently they won't use it. They are at early stages of evaluating it in the windtunnel.

I wouldn't laugh. Catalunya is another front limited track with aero being hugely important. Already in China Lotus was faster than McLaren, so now with further updates to power unit and more track set-up time, only reliability can stop Lotus from trashing McLaren. In fact McLaren will be lucky to get into Q3 and score any points in Spanish GP.

DBT85

I might be wrong but I kinda feel like the merc and lotus noses are actually sort of similar in concept, in that they are two separate pylons with a gap in between to allow airflow. Difference being the lotus one is two huge tusks and the merc is a much more elegant solution.

The thing that worries me is that McLaren are hiring from lotus and sauber, midfield teams which reinforces to me that McLaren are turning into a midfield team. I dunno maybe I am just being negative.

You are being negative, they were also hiring Dan Fallows from Red Bull only for him to do a U turn despite having a signed contract. Just because the guy you are signing is from a lower team it doesn't mean they are shit. Young exciting talent has to come from somewhere.

With Ron Dennis back there is going to be a bit more excitement in the paddock as he says what he wants and he'll not let them slip further. He's already changed things and I'm sure there will be a lot more. It's not going to happen overnight and they might even end this season 4th or 5th in the constructors, but now that Whitmarsh is gone they'll sort things out.

One recent media exchange

“I'm disappointed in Ron's comments,” Horner said. “The matter is now in the hands of the lawyers, but this is something we will defend vigorously. We don't see there is any case to answer.

“It's disappointing McLaren has pursued this route. Perhaps Ron would have been better giving me a call.”

But the terse exchanges did not end there. Dennis then accused of Horner of being a “bit rich” in his remarks, claiming he contacted the 40-year-old before Red Bull announced Fallows return.

"We formally emailed Christian Horner more than two weeks ago, asking him about Dan Fallows' whereabouts, so it's a bit rich for him to say 'Why didn't Ron call me?' now.

“Moreover, the point is that Fallows has a legally binding contract with McLaren yet Red Bull chose to ignore that and instead convince him to return to Red Bull."

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Shaneus

I'm just grateful we still have the Ricciardo vs. Vettel subplot happening this year. Without it, I don't think there'd be much I could be bothered following with a team dominating so heavily.

Mind you, I'm happy that the team dominating isn't RBR... so there's that :)

?????????

What a crazy post! you have Hammy vs Rosberg about to take it to the next level.
Alonso vs Raik, Force India on the push and the further rise of Hulk, Ricci v Vettel.
People forget 2009 too easily, Dominant team for a few races and that RBR came back with a huge push, its going to happen again

Hammer24

Banned
?????????

What a crazy post! you have Hammy vs Rosberg about to take it to the next level.
Alonso vs Raik, Force India on the push and the further rise of Hulk, Ricci v Vettel.
People forget 2009 too easily, Dominant team for a few races and that RBR came back with a huge push, its going to happen again

Good to hear that from a non-Merc guy too! :)

Hamilton and Rosberg have been close in a single race so far. Alonso and Raikkonen haven't been anywhere near each other.

Not exactly edge of your seat stuff.

Hammer24

Banned
Hamilton and Rosberg have been close in a single race so far. Alonso and Raikkonen haven't been anywhere near each other.

Not exactly edge of your seat stuff.

"vs" does not necessarily equal "wheel-to-wheel-all-day-long" ;)

The arc of suspense is definitely there, I´d say.

Nicktendo86

So pics of the McLaren engine cover and sidpods have come out, look exactly the same to my eyes. Still going with the butterfly suspension as well. SMH.

"vs" does not necessarily equal "wheel-to-wheel-all-day-long" ;)

The arc of suspense is definitely there, I´d say.

Right on.
And its got nothing to do with the politics, thats just some british press bullshit. Anyone who says that doesnt really understand F1.

The f1 season isnt one or two races, its spread out over the long haul.
Every race has different conditions and compounds and so on, its consistency which wins it in the end and being mentally strong. We are going to see a huge battle of wills over the next few months.

Rosberg knows that the next two races are CRITICAL for him, can he deal with that pressure and focus it into perfect drives? its definitely possible but he has a huge foe in Hammy.
Hammy has to maintain momentum and not get distracted. We will see if he has overcome his main weaknesses.

Alonso must be raging internally that he doesn't have the machinery to fight for the championship, but he has been here before, this is 2012.2, as always he will be operating at 108%. It will be interesting to see if Ferrari can get their car close to the top tier, even if its a little behind, Alonso is the great leveler.

Raik will be no longer the iceman, he is in danger of looking like his 2009 spec, he too is under enormous pressure to perform. These are new cars for everyone so it takes away 'the team is built around Alonso', he is not doing a good job so far, but the signals from Ferrari say he will be on it in Spain. We hope so.

Ric v Vettel is very interesting. It shows what a loser Webber was, he was nowhere near Vettel in terms of talent. Ric is doing a good job so far, but Vettel is still a 4 WDC. His comeback is one to watch, once RBR get the car where they want it.

These next two races are going to be extremely interesting, the flyaways are done, all of the updates and packages that were started after Australia will be bolted on this weekend.
The other teams fightback starts NOW.

Shaneus

?????????

I don't have any particular passion either for or against either driver at Merc though, hence why I'm nonplussed about their competing with each other. At the RBR stable though, I obviously have a strong dislike for Vettel and positive enthusiasm for Ricciardo, so I'm twice as invested in their rivalry than if I just didn't give a shit about one of the team's drivers.

Also, lol:
Red Bull will provide Sebastian Vettel with a new chassis for this weekend's race in Barcelona, where they also intend to introduce a 'major upgrade' package to the Renault-powered RB10.

Chief designer Rob Marshall stressed the new chassis is a routine introduction rather than a reaction to Vettel's current form.

The four-time world champion's return of one podium and 33 points represents his worst start to a Grand Prix season since joining Red Bull. He finished behind new team mate Daniel Ricciardo in both China and Malaysia, and was also outpaced by the Australian in the Melbourne season opener.

"Sebastian will get a new chassis for Barcelona, which was scheduled at the start of the season," Marshall said.

"It shouldn't be [beneficial], as the idea is that they are all the same. Drivers don't always want to change them - they can get attached to a particular chassis and when they are on a good run they like to hang on to it for as long as possible.

"From our point of view we'd rather give them one or two new chassis during the season that we have been able to check out in the factory using various testing methods. The next one will be for Dan at some time around Silverstone."
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/5/15786.html

Hammer24

Banned
I don't have any particular passion either for or against either driver at Merc though, hence why I'm nonplussed about their competing with each other.

Come on mate - this could (imperative!) develop into one of the big rivalries, of the same vein as Hunt/Lauda or Prost/Senna or... that basically shaped the sport.
You don´t have to particularly like the guys, but you gotta admit that unfolding drama is the very fabric of high entertainment! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom