• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer24

Banned
The changes aren't the problem. It's the lack of testing and restriction that kills competitiveness.

If you're going do a major overhaul, then the following season should allow for open testing for everyone to make their cars reliable and competitive.

Then you can go back to adding the caps to control budgets and such.

Your "they will catch up in 1.5 years!" can easily be shortened if the teams were allowed more freedom in development and testing through the course of this season.

You are absolutely right. But the small, cash strapped teams would never agree to this, as the testing restriction is their biggest money saver. Every big rule change gives them a ticket in the close-the-gap-on-the-cheap lottery.

Just wish it didn't result in such overly complex-looking cars. Even if there was a way they could borrow something from the Formula E aesthetic:

I wonder how many people are going to watch this series, taking the bitching and whining about the lower noise of the F1 cars into account.

For fans of "old" F1 cars - there will be a exhibition in Spielberg prior to the GP where 9 austrian F1 legends will drive their signature cars. Not sure which TV station will air that (not even sure if TV stations in Austria will show it - but I still have some faith left that I will be at Spielberg physically) but I thought some people here are interested:

The drivers/cars:

Helmut Marko ('72 BRM P160b)
Dieter Quester ('74 Surtees TS16)
Niki Lauda ('76 Ferrari 312T2)
Hans Binder ('76 Wolf FW05)
Gerhard Berger ('88 Ferrari 88C)
Karl Wendlinger ('95 Sauber C4)
Alex Wurz ('98 Benetton B198)
Patrick Friesacher ('05 Minardi PS04)
Christian Klien ('06 RB2)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Just checked at some travel agencies about tickets for Spielberg. Only bus arrangements (bus + ticket) for 200 € or more. :\
Meanwhile Hungary (bus, one day) costs 55 € ... but it is a problem if you cannot sleep on bus

RayStorm

The changes aren't the problem. It's the lack of testing and restriction that kills competitiveness.

I think you are looking at the past with rose tinted glasses. Even/Especially when there was free testing the end results were similar to this year. And why wouldn't they be? It's not like the top teams would suddenly stop testing/improving by further testing their cars.

If you're going do a major overhaul, then the following season should allow for open testing for everyone to make their cars reliable and competitive.

No. That would raise the costs without many tangible benefits. Cars are still rather reliable and I for one like the suspense of cars possibly retiring due to technical problems late in the race.

Your "they will catch up in 1.5 years!" can easily be shortened if the teams were allowed more freedom in development and testing through the course of this season.

The only thing I can agree with is more freedom in designs. In fact, and I must have argued that before I would love a very basic rule set governing the design of the cars (e.g. passing crash tests (both in terms of safety for the driver and other drivers/spectators; maximum dimensions of the car to avoid someone building a 10 meter wide car to just prevent everyone from overtaking) with budget caps. But would that produce the exciting on track racing we had the past few years? Unlikely. But apart from thos few years whenever you look in a F1 thread there has always been people complaining about the lack of overtaking. It's just the nature of F1 (or at least has been for the past 30 years).

I actually watched that. Can remember Vettel wiping the floor with everybody else in one race. Piquet Jnr also won a number of races

You probably remember either Hülkenberg or Sutil wiping the floor. As far as I know Vettel never drove in A1GP.

DBT85

I actually watched that. Can remember Vettel wiping the floor with everybody else in one race. Piquet Jnr also won a number of races

You remember incorrectly. Vettel drove F3 and F3.5

In '06 Di Resta was his team mate and beat him to the championship, in `07 he was leading the championship but got dragged out to do F1.

mclem

Well, OK, then I demand all cars to look like my favorite bad boy:

image.axd

Could also plow snow in winter, and have several bunnies sunbathing on the rear wing come summer.

What was the *logic* behind the Tyrell, anyway?

DBT85

What was the *logic* behind the Tyrell, anyway?

tyres create not only a lot of drag, but also fuck up the airflow around them because they are rotating.

Running smaller wheels like that got around the drag and reduced the turbulence problem to a degree.

mclem

tyres create not only a lot of drag, but also fuck up the airflow around them because they are rotating.

Running smaller wheels like that got around the drag and reduced the turbulence problem to a degree.

Ah, yes, I do see that the wheels don't poke above the body. That covers why small wheels - were they simply doubled for stability's sake?

Goldrusher

FFS Red Bull.

Niki Lauda and Gerhard Berger have both lost their corner names at the Red Bull Ring circuit.

After a ten-year hiatus, the Spielberg venue is bringing the Austrian Grand Prix back to the calendar this season, with owners Red Bull recently carrying out extensive development to improve the circuit and facilities.

But despite the famous track maintaining the same layout, three-time Formula 1 World Champion Lauda and multiple race winner Berger will see their corners renamed to Pirelli-Kurve and Würth-Kurve respectively.

"I am very disappointed," Lauda told Austrian's Kleine Zeitung after learning of the decision.

"The only reason I can think of is that I am now at Mercedes and we are beating Red Bull."

The corner dedicated to F1's only posthumous World Champion, Jochen Rindt, is unchanged.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/310795/lauda-berger-lose-red-bull-ring-corners/

Breakage

Anyone here know of any good blogs, sites or even books where I can learn about the technical side of F1?

Ideally something that starts with the basics and gradually goes into more depth.

Fox Mulder

Just heard this story. This is... ugh... I don´t have the words. :( Changing from the names of your own countries greats to some generic sponsors? Really?

it's a reality of sports now. Plenty of venues have taken corporate money over history or tradition.

Hammer24

Banned
it's a reality of sports now. Plenty of venues have taken corporate money over history or tradition.

IMO not comparable, as Mateschitz is rich as fuck, and has shown that he doesn´t mind to bleed a little money here and there when it fits his narrative. He definitely didn´t need the money from friggin Würth.
The only way to interpret this is as a slight. While I understand the animosity towards Lauda, I can´t grasp it towards Berger.

IMO not comparable, as Mateschitz is rich as fuck, and has shown that he doesn´t mind to bleed a little money here and there when it fits his narrative. He definitely didn´t need the money from friggin Würth.
The only way to interpret this is as a slight. While I understand the animosity towards Lauda, I can´t grasp it towards Berger.

"who previously owned 50% of the Scuderia Toro Rosso Formula One team until he sold his share back to energy drink owner Dietrich Mateschitz in November 2008."

might explain it.

Shaneus

Just give it a few years, the Horner Corner and the Helmut Straight are gonna be classics soon.
And if the RBR team boss eventually takes over Bernie, there's every chance the drivers could wear Horner Helmets.

Thank you, thank you. Try the veal.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There is a new bunch of rumors that Ferrari will once again move their 'b spec' aero upgrade, this time until Austrian GP. They will only have engine upgrade for Canada.

acm2000

How would you feel, when they name a street in your home town after you, and a couple years later change it to some copy shop?

well firstly id be more concerned on why the hell they had named a road after me, secondly i would go steal said road sign to put on my wall at home

Pimpwerx

its just a name for a corner....
No, it's a tradition in the sport. Great drivers get turns named after them, and they become a part of that circuit. It's pretty disrespectful to the original thought that went into naming those turns. They're not handed out willy nilly. You generally have to have done something noteworthy to get a turn named after you. I am disappoint. PEACE.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Well, if somebody here really like Lewis, you have pictures of being only in shorts on his Twitter.
(No Nicole around, so that is a bit bummer)

Shaneus

Yeah, rest in peace, Sir Jack. Absolutely remarkable driver and mechanic, leaving behind a hell of a legacy.

UwflVnN.jpg

Dat Aussie smirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom